Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ofecks posted:

Thanks! Just finished FFL1 and I posted about it here. Wasn't sure about putting it in the FF thread. Anyway, I'm skipping FFL2 for now because some time ago, I watched all the video footage of someone mastering that set, and some of the things (like killing that one boss before he transforms) are going to be really difficult. I'm also not as familiar with the game as I am with FFL1. It might take multiple playthroughs. I think I'm going to do Rolan's Curse next, it's an early game I acquired for the ol' BrickBoy in 1992. And maybe Sword of Hope after that.

FFL2 is fun and you should play it. I'm not sure about solo character stuff since in that game it'd honestly be pretty tedious (especially if certain glitches can't be used) and probably faster to do multiple playthroughs than a solo run unless you specifically want to go solo I guess.

Mechs and monsters are the true gods of FFL2 though. A setup of 1-2 monsters and 2-3 mechs focused on agility will shred through everything up to the final boss and at that point if your 1-2 monsters are set to one of 2 (or 3, I forget) final tier monsters they can only lose to the final boss if the RNG screws you over.

..unless you get lucky and find a seven sword, at which point one of your mechs can just blender the final boss because that weapon is hilariously op in the hands of a high str/agi character (aka a mech loaded up with top tier str/agi boosting gear). Not that you'll hurt for damage regardless, considering that stats don't actually cap at 99 and mechs can easily make use of that fact.

e: 4 monsters is overall not bad imo but it's extremely boring and tedious since you want specific monster types at specific times.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFL2 is fun and you should play it. I'm not sure about solo character stuff since in that game it'd honestly be pretty tedious (especially if certain glitches can't be used) and probably faster to do multiple playthroughs than a solo run unless you specifically want to go solo I guess.

Mechs and monsters are the true gods of FFL2 though. A setup of 1-2 monsters and 2-3 mechs focused on agility will shred through everything up to the final boss and at that point if your 1-2 monsters are set to one of 2 (or 3, I forget) final tier monsters they can only lose to the final boss if the RNG screws you over.

..unless you get lucky and find a seven sword, at which point one of your mechs can just blender the final boss because that weapon is hilariously op in the hands of a high str/agi character (aka a mech loaded up with top tier str/agi boosting gear). Not that you'll hurt for damage regardless, considering that stats don't actually cap at 99 and mechs can easily make use of that fact.

e: 4 monsters is overall not bad imo but it's extremely boring and tedious since you want specific monster types at specific times.

I can't not play 2 with one of every class. I'm sure that your way is stronger, but I just like to play with all the toys. FFL1 I can never decide which redundant class I want. I usually go with a male mutant and a female mutant - I think that they have different power sets.

Never played 3, which is a more traditional RPG. I have the set on Switch, but haven't touched them yet. My RPG backlog is, as I said, bloody ridiculous.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I beat Timewyrm on Stronger Monsters in 98 turns without grinding for seeds or gold for additional Pep Pops. Just went in with the 11 Pep Pops I had (5 from the start, duplicated at Arboria, +1 more from a quest) to see if I could do it and I did it, but just barely.

It's really saying something about the power level of this game that the game gives you TWO Sage's Stones and yet I basically never used either one towards the end.

Time to finish off the Secret Trial and see if I can do that in the turn limit to get all the super seeds and that'll be it for my harder monsters run.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

After finishing DQ 5, I've moved onto 6 and while I can see why it isn't as well regarded it's mind-blowing how big it is.
Spoilers?
Multiple world maps, I've lost track at the number of modes of transport, heaps of sidequests, the fashion show, it keeps going on

I'm enjoying it immensely, feels like a suitably grand end to the Zenithian games

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

6 is pretty good, don't believe the hype. The part of the game where you go visit your real world self is really good.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I'm currently going through DQ7 3DS, 47.5 hours in. Thoughts... and spoilers ahead for a nearly 23 year old game.

Giving you a 5th character late into the story who may not be nearly as developed as the rest of the characters sucks.

Encounters being visible is pretty nice and you can still use Whistle to start a fight if you want.

The DLC tablet stones are pretty nice for getting good equipment, and being able to make your own stones with specific monsters is even better. You can make your own XP or Money farming tablets later in the game. Wanna create a XP gain tablet? Switch to Monster Mashers, get 3 Plat King Jewels to join your monster stables and create a tablet with all 3 of them.

Jobs are supposedly faster to level up, but will still take time to master. When I got my 5th character, she was way behind the rest of the party, so I used some Vocation and XP gain cheats to catch her up.

Highly suggested to play on the 3ds so you can do a quick save or just put the system to sleep.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I felt like Mervin was more egregious than Aishe wrt vocation levels, she doesn’t usually take a crazy amount of fights to get her to Gladiator with her innate vocation progress iirc, whereas Mervyn is supposed to be God’s number one soldier…and has literally nothing. When you’d actually care about that because I don’t think you’d have enough fights for an advanced vocation yet, which can just hard carry until the last like five hours of the game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I honestly expected Mervin to come with the Hero class and like, a mastered advanced job + the base jobs for it. When I got him in DQ7 on the PSX and saw how under developed he was one of the first things that went through my mind was "if this was one of God's best soldiers, that explains a lot."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
god gives his strongest soldiers his toughest trials (grinding job levels)

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Forgot to mention about the DLC tablets, all of them have a vocation level of 99, so you can get Gooing Strong for example and just Whistle and grind vocations with enemies you can kill with one action.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Alxprit posted:

6 is pretty good, don't believe the hype. The part of the game where you go visit your real world self is really good.

Its almost all really good, I've just read the interviews on Shmuplations where the Devs talk about how the game was conceived as basically the complete opposite to dq5 i.e. massive, heaps of skills and a huge sense of freedom

I've just collected the armour pieces and the vignette of the king summoning the demon which destroys his kingdom was awesome. After that I've just got Pegasus and yet more of the map has opened up.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

the four job fiesta is doing a dragon quest 3 challenge this month if you're interested https://www.fourjobfiesta.com/dq3/

take the 3 jobs it randomly gives you, you can do job swaps if you want as long as you always have the same party composition, goofoff/gadabout/jester can job change to sage if you want though

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

There are a lot of differences between the various DQ3 versions but anyone doing this who doesn't get a thief/fighter should probably play on the NES if for no reason other than Zoma's not going to be as much of an issue if your team comp sucks due to herb nuking. Allowing goof-offs to upgrade to sage removes the risk of the 'worst' class too. It's a neat idea but I don't think DQ3 is a good choice for it.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
You have so many tools at your disposal by endgame, it's hard for me to picture a party that wouldn't be able to eventually outlast Zoma. Merchant/Gadabout/Mage might have the hardest time if you foolishly passed on the Sage.

Baramos is a far bigger wall IMO, I'd rather fight him with a party full of Tough Cookies.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

What are the odds that Squenix ports DQ7r to Switch or something else? Maybe I should look into getting a 3DS. There are flash carts for those, right? Or CFW to play games off mSD?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sadly it is nearly impossible to hack a 3DS. According to the internet the difficulty in doing so is extraordinary. Even NASA astronauts are stumped by it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

They said the same thing about the Vita and they were proven wrong. Someone will figure it out... someday.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Wait, Luma3DS is a thing. Or is that :thejoke:?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
(its a joke)

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

:eng99:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is DQ7 on 3ds actually in 3d, in 8 only the menus are.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

4 Job Fiesta for DQ3 seems like it is mostly about a way to just force a decision about party composition rather than a challenge. Which is fine, of course.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

There are a lot of differences between the various DQ3 versions but anyone doing this who doesn't get a thief/fighter should probably play on the NES if for no reason other than Zoma's not going to be as much of an issue if your team comp sucks due to herb nuking. Allowing goof-offs to upgrade to sage removes the risk of the 'worst' class too. It's a neat idea but I don't think DQ3 is a good choice for it.

What is 'herb nuking"?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

JustJeff88 posted:

What is 'herb nuking"?

You can target the enemies with support spells/items if you like in the NES version, and for whatever reason Zoma (and only Zoma) takes a ton of damage from the plain ol' Medical Herb.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Prism posted:

You can target the enemies with support spells/items if you like in the NES version, and for whatever reason Zoma (and only Zoma) takes a ton of damage from the plain ol' Medical Herb.

Fancy that... which version(s) is this? I had no idea.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I want news on the DQ III remake already.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

I want news on the DQ III remake already.

Same.

Would also like some info on DQ12 already.

Edit: I'd like 1-9 ported to consoles as well while we're at it.

Final Fantasy 1-6 got remasters and is releasing on consoles soon. Come guys. Give us a DQ collection on PS5 or switch or something.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

JustJeff88 posted:

Fancy that... which version(s) is this? I had no idea.

Just the Famicom/NES version as far as I know. Maybe the SNES one?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
M.Artist/Mage/Gadabout

eh, it's fine!

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012

Malaria posted:

Same.

Would also like some info on DQ12 already.

Edit: I'd like 1-9 ported to consoles as well while we're at it.

Final Fantasy 1-6 got remasters and is releasing on consoles soon. Come guys. Give us a DQ collection on PS5 or switch or something.

This.

Also would really enjoy them announcing an english port of the DQ 10 offline game.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

welcome posted:

Merchant/Gadabout/Mage might have the hardest time if you foolishly passed on the Sage.

Lmao.

Well, I shan't pass on the Sage but I'll report back.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1632965464304541697?t=_GKcpyvZVTB8qXAR2SHrHg&s=19

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I got merchant/thief/martial artist. No face left unpunched/sliced, no party left healed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Been a while since I played DQ3 so I jumped in with Priest, Mage, Gadabout. Guess the hero is doing most of the melee in this one.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
DQ has the same problem that most fantasy RPGs have - melee classes are boring. They have so few options in combat, not man buttons to push. They do their job very well, but their job is very repetitive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Martial Artist is cool in theory because they punch fast and hard

Melee became a much more.. Anything as the series went on at least

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thin air really boosted the martial artist type.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

With the addition of skills given to melee classes, they got a lot more interesting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Leave 'em on AI control if all they can do is attack. Makes things go much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Leave 'em on AI control if all they can do is attack. Makes things go much faster.

The AI control in DQ7 3ds is actually pretty solid. It typically knows if an enemy will weak to snooze or other status effects that cause them to lose a turn. It can also anticipate someone dying and queue up a Kazing on the same turn. It is pretty much DQ11 style combat where it's not strictly choose your actions for a round and then it plays out but you don't get to control said actions directly.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 8, 2023