Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

EEKA GEEK posted:

What was the point of Cirrus

times running out and back on a mission are masterpieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Smythe posted:

power too low, makes them slow. ud need t plug that bitch itno the 220 to make it work worth a drat

what the HELL

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i have a kettle

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
There isn’t really a problem with the lower voltage tbh :shrug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cuttlefush posted:

i have a kettle

me too but its just a regular one not lectric

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

EEKA GEEK posted:

takes too long to boil water

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it's like 4 minutes on 110

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah tell me about it

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cuttlefush posted:

for how much water?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
very funny to me that the americans are running with two types of voltage. talking in everyday conversation about "the 110" and "the 220", etc.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Weka posted:

for how much water?

in america we just say "hey I'd like four minutes of water please"

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

exmarx posted:

very funny to me that the americans are running with two types of voltage. talking in everyday conversation about "the 110" and "the 220", etc.

wait until you hear their industrial three phase is 200 and something. Just pointless.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The only reason to employ a time saving device is if you’re not otherwise going to waste those minutes of your life. I don’t buy that anyone posting on sa is harmed by waiting for hot water

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm just going to drop this here then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yMMTVVJI4c

As far as I remember it only takes 60-90 seconds longer

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I'm just going to drop this here then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yMMTVVJI4c

As far as I remember it only takes 60-90 seconds longer

I used to use an electric kettle.

I've put many of them in the graveyard because they can't keep up with the demand for hot coffee my wife and I put on them.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i use an electric kettle to make tea :)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the real answer is that your avg american already has too many kitchen appliances and they don't see the need for one that does a function they are already having immediately serviced by their stovetop

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the real answer is that your avg american already has too many kitchen appliances and they don't see the need for one that does a function they are already having immediately serviced by their stovetop

my mother-in-law won't stop giving us kitchen appliances

i stopped saying things like "i'd love to have a stand mixer, but we just don't have any space for it" because then the next time we come over, she has a kitchen appliance for us to take home (last time it was a pressure cooker, which I've never made any mention of ever wanting)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

give me the stand mixer op

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I don't have one because I don't have the room for it!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lib and let die posted:

my mother-in-law won't stop giving us kitchen appliances

i stopped saying things like "i'd love to have a stand mixer, but we just don't have any space for it" because then the next time we come over, she has a kitchen appliance for us to take home (last time it was a pressure cooker, which I've never made any mention of ever wanting)

US gift giving culture is super hosed up. Theres this drive to give people something! ANYTHING! and it doesn't matter if the person absolutely doesn't need or want that thing. It took me a decade to get my mother in law to stop buying us random loving garbage she saw in JC Penny or where ever and to kill off the family white elephant which was entirely "just spent 25$ on junk and bring it and we will all try to make jokes about it and then it will all go in the garbage as soon as we get home"

This is also super loving hardcore in pretty money tight groups too like no please do not put yourself in debt for holiday gifts. It is absolutely not worth it in any way.

If you want to buy me something because you genuinely saw I didn't have a i really needed or I expressed a serious desire for it or something, sure. Cool. Go for it. But otherwise just dont just buy something for me because im a check box on a list. I'm an adult. If I dont get a gift im fine and it doesn't hurt my feelings. Im also an adult though and I just buy poo poo I need myself.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

US gift giving culture is super hosed up. Theres this drive to give people something! ANYTHING! and it doesn't matter if the person absolutely doesn't need or want that thing. It took me a decade to get my mother in law to stop buying us random loving garbage she saw in JC Penny or where ever and to kill off the family white elephant which was entirely "just spent 25$ on junk and bring it and we will all try to make jokes about it and then it will all go in the garbage as soon as we get home"

This is also super loving hardcore in pretty money tight groups too like no please do not put yourself in debt for holiday gifts. It is absolutely not worth it in any way.

If you want to buy me something because you genuinely saw I didn't have a i really needed or I expressed a serious desire for it or something, sure. Cool. Go for it. But otherwise just dont just buy something for me because im a check box on a list. I'm an adult. If I dont get a gift im fine and it doesn't hurt my feelings. Im also an adult though and I just buy poo poo I need myself.

she's not even buying stuff, she's just pawning off her poo poo that she never uses on us, because she's out of space!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

silicone thrills posted:

Once upon a time I was at the state fair and since it was the last day this guy was trying to offload this 5' tall brass copy of King Tut's mummy case for $200.

I bought it and had it crated and shipped out to my BiL. Sent him a prybar and a hammer the week before with no note. Middle of the afternoon he gets this gigantic crate with the mummy case in it.

That loving thing was dumped on various family members for years until my uncle hauled it out to the middle of the woods, stood it against a tree, and left it there.

Best purchase of my life.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
See that's funny and entertaining and it wasn't just some plastic garbage.

Someday someone will find that thing in the woods, all tarnished and hosed up and be like "What the actual gently caress??"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The pry bar setup takes it from annoying to artful, imo.

Respect.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

i say swears online posted:

zelle is instant and free so if I'm not buying drugs I use that. no app and you only need a phone number or email address, not bank account number. it may have been around before 2015 but I started using it then

and yeah it's bank to bank so no middleman

Zelle also isn't supported by every bank (even some big ones). And it doesn't have a way to use your e-mail address or phone number with more than one bank account, or to switch them to different bank accounts. Even if the first one you had was closed, you can't use Zelle with your new one until you get a new e-mail address or phone number. And if anything goes wrong, Zelle is a third party that will point you at the banks on both sides, who will point you right back at Zelle. Good luck getting anything sorted out without a million phone calls.

Bank transfers in the US are poo poo, and they're not likely to get better any time soon because the banks all have systems that were built in the 1970s, run everything in batches overnight, and are built to require downtime for maintenance every Sunday. But they "work" and updating them would eat into the record profits they're making, so it's not gonna happen.

EEKA GEEK posted:

I can only get 1800W out of the wall for my induction wok burner. I could double that if I lived somewhere with 240V service.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Allow military recruiters to set up shop in high school commons areas.

Military recruiters are allowed to lie to you to get you to sign up.

Schools give out your phone number to them without your consent.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Kreeblah posted:

Zelle also isn't supported by every bank (even some big ones). And it doesn't have a way to use your e-mail address or phone number with more than one bank account, or to switch them to different bank accounts. Even if the first one you had was closed, you can't use Zelle with your new one until you get a new e-mail address or phone number. And if anything goes wrong, Zelle is a third party that will point you at the banks on both sides, who will point you right back at Zelle. Good luck getting anything sorted out without a million phone calls.

Bank transfers in the US are poo poo, and they're not likely to get better any time soon because the banks all have systems that were built in the 1970s, run everything in batches overnight, and are built to require downtime for maintenance every Sunday. But they "work" and updating them would eat into the record profits they're making, so it's not gonna happen.

I can only get 1800W out of the wall for my induction wok burner. I could double that if I lived somewhere with 240V service.

Everywhere has 240 service, just buy a breaker and some wire and run yourself an outlet

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

500excf type r posted:

Everywhere has 240 service, just buy a breaker and some wire and run yourself an outlet

So, I live in a condo. No attic or basement, which means ripping into the walls to add new wire. I've still thought about it in order to get a NEMA 6-20 socket in my kitchen so I can use a better wok burner, but I've got other projects I need to do first.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Weka
May 5, 2019

idgi

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It is shocking how few people know about Fort Detrick :hmmyes:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Celebrate St Patrick's Day

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Weka posted:

for how much water?

enough

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

500 good dogs posted:

in america we just say "hey I'd like four minutes of water please"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

love to talk about food in hosed up ways

Weka
May 5, 2019

Have a poor understanding of the English language, resulting in stories like this one.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/worl...AOx1Kw0ue-XNA_I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Weka posted:

Have a poor understanding of the English language, resulting in stories like this one.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/worl...AOx1Kw0ue-XNA_I

what does that have to do with a poor understanding of english