Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The story didn't work as well for me as I hoped when I read all the gushing in the thread but I still solidly enjoyed the game. It's very charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

mycatscrimes posted:

The story didn't work as well for me as I hoped when I read all the gushing in the thread but I still solidly enjoyed the game. It's very charming.

The characters can be charming outside main story contexts (enough of them anyway), But the gameplay certainly does all the heavy lifting.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think it's neat that they made archers good by giving them good stats and then also gave you the earliest longbow in the series (discounting gaiden and three houses where you get 3+ range through other means)

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Cannot believe that the devs put in a self destruct skill, apparently for like a single enemy in chapter 21. Cost me a time stone use, but I was laughing out loud so I’ll give them that one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It showed up a few more times than that on maddening and I didn't clue in on what the hell just happened until the third one or so. It's just bizarre

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ungulateman posted:

i think it's neat that they made archers good by giving them good stats and then also gave you the earliest longbow in the series (discounting gaiden and three houses where you get 3+ range through other means)

Yeah it’s not hard to make archers good, basically a two step process:

1) Give them equivalent stats to other classes
2) Give enemies enough teeth that javelins and hand axes aren’t a catch-all solution

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wave 3 should be sometime today!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Is Distorted Flash of Light the greatest track in the game?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I dunno, is that the chapter 25 track? Otherwise, nah.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I dunno, is that the chapter 25 track? Otherwise, nah.

It is and it owns

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, then yes!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Removal of weapon durability also does a lot to make the 3 range weapons viable.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Engage has a lot of good tracks but I have a peculiar fondness for the battle prep theme, it’s a hell of a jam.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the battle prep music is awesome, it's one of my favorite prep themes in the series. I love the driving, rhythmic strings

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Checking out a new unit’s pose on the prep screen is godly

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Fangz posted:

Removal of weapon durability also does a lot to make the 3 range weapons viable.

Weapon durability makes me never want to touch whatever game I'm playing

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s hard for me to pick a best track because Engage’s OST is just on point on the whole, but the Marth paralouge map is a really great combo of just being a great track and hitting different wrt the nostalgia. And then there’s the second variant of the Solm region theme, the lategame map theme…

This is a really good game, guys.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Chrom and his husband Robin as well as Veronica are out.

There's now some kind of item exchange gatcha, but more importantly you can now do all the skill inheritance poo poo in the arena.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Weapon durability was good but it’s fine that Engage doesn’t have it.

Burning all my uses of Amyr to end a map with Edelgard on the first turn was really loving funny

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

RuBisCO posted:

you can now do all the skill inheritance poo poo in the arena.

At last!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Punching a hole in the drywall bc there still aren’t outfit settings

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I genuinely think there's a weird technical debt (or they just are not great developer) that tied animation to class, so basically they never themselves programmed Lapis's default outfit to use a book.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not convinced this Chrobin map is mathematically possible if you do it on Maddening after enemies promote

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Okay the Sigurd paralogue is hilarious.

Edit: I beat the two mages, go me.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

RevolverDivider posted:

Weapon durability was good but it’s fine that Engage doesn’t have it.

Burning all my uses of Amyr to end a map with Edelgard on the first turn was really loving funny

It's okay if people like it. I don't like Fire Emblem weapon durability because it feels like I'm rationing for a journey I don't have enough information about. Like without knowing what's coming up, what items I'll be getting along the way or even how long I have to go it always feels bad to use the good stuff because what if I need it later. Unless you're just overflowing with resources so you don't need to worry about it, but then what's the point.

I much prefer map-specific limits for a game like this. It'd be interesting if weapons had low durability but they refreshed after every map.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thracia did weapon durability the best because it made it an actual gamelong concern that you could both refill instantly but had to take risks to refill

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Important:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I enjoy that Engage vindicated me about all my opinions on Fates weapon system being great because it’s essentially the exact same system except the Bonuses/Penalties are abstracted in stead of being explicitly listed as such, so you all like it in Engage even though you claimed to hate it in Fates.
Take the Magic tree. Fire is the baseline, Lightning has the trade off of doubles for range, Surge loses range for MT, And Wind loses Mt and accuracy for anti-flyer.
Plus they made hidden weapon/dagger debuffs work. I told you it was a good idea.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Endorph posted:

thracia did weapon durability the best because it made it an actual gamelong concern that you could both refill instantly but had to take risks to refill

as in most things Thracia does it best

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

galagazombie posted:

I enjoy that Engage vindicated me about all my opinions on Fates weapon system being great because it’s essentially the exact same system except the Bonuses/Penalties are abstracted in stead of being explicitly listed as such, so you all like it in Engage even though you claimed to hate it in Fates.
Take the Magic tree. Fire is the baseline, Lightning has the trade off of doubles for range, Surge loses range for MT, And Wind loses Mt and accuracy for anti-flyer.
Plus they made hidden weapon/dagger debuffs work. I told you it was a good idea.

Something immediately different from Fates is that Iron -> Steel -> Silver actually follows a progression system. i.e. once you reach the Build/Speed threshold to use the next tier, you dump the previous one and never look back. This feels a trillion times better than Fates’s system.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Let me play this class, cowards

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I still want per-map weapon durability

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm a bit torn on weapon durability. It really sucked getting a bunch of cool special weapons that never got used because I couldn't afford to repair them, especially plot-relevant things like Sylvain's Lance of Ruin, and it's nice to get to use every kickass weapon I find. However, I feel like once I get to the midgame it just becomes Killer Weapon Emblem.

I think maybe adding per-map durability to the special weapons would help. Leave Iron/Steel/Silver at infinite durability, though, because I don't want anymore maps where Dimitri goes in with multiple silver lances because I expect him to exhaust at least one of them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

galagazombie posted:

Or maybe people hated it because Fates weapons had stupid penalties like "your stats decrease every single combat round" or "this weapon is good every other round and garbage the other half," while the other penalties like "is heavy" or "cannot follow up" were fine, and all you had to do to fix it was get rid of the former?

impossible to say

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I still want per-map weapon durability

Same tbh, like I think this system is pretty good but at the same time it really feels like they were afraid to give the player too many powerful options because everything’s just infinite besides staves which I think is the source of some jank like classes waiting till the penultimate maps for S-rank weapons (or postgame for some) that are just Silver+ (which some units might not even want with the weight/hit penalty that entails) aside from the spear which is honestly kinda busted.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Let me play this class, cowards

This is for when the next dlc brings in Jake.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's over, Veronica has an inheritable skill that gives 20 sp per kill.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also the well they added has a pretty decent chance of spitting out SP books which will make a huge difference in the SP economy. The well's a free update, too, so you don't need DLC for it.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

galagazombie posted:

Fates had like a billion weapons per type with an absurd number of assorted penalties and conditionals and poo poo to keep track of such that only a relatively small handful were actually useful, while Engage strips it back down to a pretty basic set of weapons, allowing it to differentiate them in ways a player can be assed to keep track of and letting almost everything have some use case. They also made all the daggers give the exact same debuff instead of a different one for every individual dagger, made it possible to actively clear the debuff with a cheap item, and made the debuff relevant, but much less threatening unless it's been stacked a few times, eating +1 or 2 damage per hit (and that only if the dagger does damage) is much milder than "my shuriken bounced harmlessly off your face, have -3 str/-4 def/-4 res anyway (also probably -20% hp)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

galagazombie posted:

I enjoy that Engage vindicated me about all my opinions on Fates weapon system being great because it’s essentially the exact same system except the Bonuses/Penalties are abstracted simplified to the point where the player actually can tell whats going on instead of being explicitly listed as such so convoluted and overtuned that pretty much everyone just stuck to iron weapons rather than engage with the system, so you all like it in Engage even though you claimed to hate(d) it in Fates.
Plus they made hidden weapon/dagger debuffs work by making it a single static debuff that stacked up to 3 times could be easily read on the map as opposed to eleventy billion unique debuffs per weapon that decayed over time and you had to manuallycheck stat screens to have the slightest clue where your stats were at. I told you it was a good idea.

Fixed