Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It is incredibly bizarre that there are two NHL players with the name Connor McFirstName. Also that consecutive general talents have been named Connor. Canadian parents are hugely unoriginal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
in terms of all-around impacts (defense and offense both), the norris discussion should be centered around fox vs dahlin, but karlsson is going to completely run away with the vote so it doesn't matter

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
McDavid sucks , he took a team friendly deal to stay in loving Edmonton. No wonder he doesn’t play defense on the ice, he can’t even defend himself off the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

McDavid sucks , he took a team friendly deal to stay in loving Edmonton. No wonder he doesn’t play defense on the ice, he can’t even defend himself off the ice.

And have you seen his house? No life either!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Chris Pronger says kiss the rings bitch.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mennoknight posted:

Connor McDavid owns a dog named Lenard

They live in a giant cube designed to numb pain. In Edmonton.

McDavid might be the best player since Gretzky but he is also a black hole of personality and entertainment so therefore sucks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He's not gonna win (and shouldn't) but I'm gonna put a plug in for Hughes for the Norris this year. The Canucks are terrible but his possession numbers are terrific and he's all but eliminated bad giveaways from his game. He's not your prototypical low zone defender but his defensive zone positioning is very polished and his stick lifts are great. He's a big shot shy of being a dream modern defenceman. Rick Tocchet has realized the secret to keeping his job is to just play Hughes 30 minutes a night and he's probably gotten better since his ice time has been upped. His passing and creativity with the puck is pretty much unmatched among defencemen and he's probably the best skater in the league. He's taken a huge step this year and it's fantastic to see. The best thing Benning ever did was lock him up long term.

I love our little stoner boy whiz kid. He's like if Adam Oates had decided to play defence. I hope he gets a 3rd place Norris finish or something.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Simplex posted:

Chris Pronger says kiss the rings bitch.

That would be ring, in the singular, in his case.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
stats for nerds according to Athletic's stuff:

My vote would be:

Karlsson
Fox
Dahlin

although I expect it to be:

Karlsson
Morrissey
Fox

because of Canada.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jeez Dahlin is so young. 5 year vet at 22.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I would agree with Karlsson, Fox, Dahlin. I do see that Lindholm's name still gets brought up occasionally, but it really shouldn't because he's not even the best defenseman on the Bruins. McAvoy is the man there, and it looks like Orlov is going to give him a run for his money as the second-best Bruins defenseman.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Fox is my Norris vote this year

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1633263508719583232?s=20
this fuckin league man

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You couldn’t say specific players objected harder if you tried lol

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Can you imagine the shitstorm if a player refused to wear a military themed jersey on one of the 4 Military Appreciation Nights held per season?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is that the third team to do this now?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Lol Pens.

Also, I hope when Bally Sports goes belly up that their app with the interactive stats ticker lives on as it's cool.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

ThinkTank posted:

It is incredibly bizarre that there are two NHL players with the name Connor McFirstName. Also that consecutive general talents have been named Connor. Canadian parents are hugely unoriginal.
Remember when 2014 Team USA had 5 Ryans?

In fact, you could have made a pretty good team of just Ryans that year:

Ryan-Ryan-Ryan
Ryan-Ryan-Ryan
Ryan-Ryan-Ryan
Ryan-Ryan-Ryan

Ryan-Ryan
Ryan-Ryan

Ryan

Smyth-Getzlaf-Callahan
Malone-O'Reilly-Hartman
Johansen-Kesler-RNH
Clowe-Strome-Reaves

Suter-McDonagh
Ellis-Whitney

Miller

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 8, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I am hearing that several Boston players want to back out of the upcoming Irish Heritage Day. They don't want to wear the Green shamrock jersey for warmups.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
They're just being true to themselves and their religion and I respect them for it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

The Norris has never once been about defensive performance. It's an award for the guy listed as a defenceman who scores the most cool lookin goals in a year.

Also unrelated, but the fact that Quinn Hughes is the fastest defenceman to reach 200 assists in NHL history is mind blowing to me. He did it quicker than Bobby Orr and Brian Leetch!

Rod Langway's wins were probably mostly his D, he didn't put up huge numbers. But that was a long time ago.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Jeez Dahlin is so young. 5 year vet at 22.

It's pretty rad how much his career has mimicked Hedman. First overall pick in the NHL at 18 seen as a dissapointment as a 1OA regardless of their progression and then boom Norris caliber.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Rod Langway's wins were probably mostly his D, he didn't put up huge numbers. But that was a long time ago.

He was before my time so I never watched him but I kind of wonder if Langway actually wasn’t that good and was just carried by reputation and grit. Like if you can’t score in the 1980s then maybe you aren’t that good?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Going to have to give this post the old "FreezingColdTakes" treatment. Erik Gudbranson was allowed to play the entire PK in that OT. I don't know what the hell Larsen was thinking letting that happen other than "Bedard".

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If the Pens could only have acquired just one more old slow guy then they would totally be contenders

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens doing their thing where they look like the worst team in the league and an actually kinda sorta ok one in the same game.

Gonna lose in the first round but I'll enjoy these while I can

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This was called not a goal due to the distinct kicking motion, but Toronto overturned it:

https://twitter.com/thechargingbuf/status/1633296578902388736?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I hate everything.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tony DeAngelo speared Corey Perry in the nuts

https://twitter.com/ryanquigz/status/1633296397461082112?t=NPFRDzY6WhNp36NGBI6_Xg&s=19
https://twitter.com/ECloskyWTSP/status/1633297674966388737?t=7XA1Tfex-mNJB9RQAE2W4Q&s=19

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 8, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Heartbreaking: The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This was called not a goal due to the distinct kicking motion, but Toronto overturned it:

https://twitter.com/thechargingbuf/status/1633296578902388736?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I hate everything.

Yeah I'd be very interested in hearing the rationale on that one. This is from the NHL rulebook:

quote:

78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons: (i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick. When this occurs, if it is deemed to be done deliberately, then the decision shall be NO GOAL. A goal cannot be scored when the puck has been deliberately batted with any part of the attacking player’s body into the net.

That seems pretty clearly to fall under that

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Wow he really just goes right for it

Tony D gonna eat a suspension and Corey Perry taking a stick in the nuts is about as win/win as after the whistle bullshit can get

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i wonder if torts will have anything fun things to say about tony d in the presser

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

drink if the word misunderstood is used

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

I quit watching the NFL because of the way they covered up domestic violence and ignored CTE. This might be the reason I quit hockey; that and the growing number of covered up SA and child abuse. I am queer and a lifelong fan, and while I get that its purely performative (the league and teams do not moderate comments on social media, for example, and hockey fans are toxic af), it is better than nothing, as homophobia and transphobia are now again so sickeningly on the rise. The NHL should mandate a rule that jersey nights are jersey nights because business is business tough poo poo you're paid to play, but I am sure the NHLPA would side with homophobia. gently caress hockey culture.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1633301632501833729?t=3DgblIqqnpZA1t0Ep4-cBQ&s=19

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i just meant to illegally spear him the regular ole way, not in the balls, i swears

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Honestly the NHL disciplinary system should take into account who is getting the abuse too. If Corey Perry is your target you should get at least a game or two shaved off of your suspension

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nah I think TDA should be suspended for the rest of the season and the remainder of his contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shyduck posted:

Nah I think TDA should be suspended for the rest of the season and the remainder of his contract

You’re supposed to throw anvils to the Flyers, not life savers.