Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I'm glad the Sharks suck this year, lower bowl seats are actually reasonably priced. I think a Sharks-fan friend of mine and I are going to go to an Avs-Sharks game next month with both of us wearing our Nieto jerseys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

Honestly the NHL disciplinary system should take into account who is getting the abuse too. If Corey Perry is your target you should get at least a game or two shaved off of your suspensiona gold plated plaque of appreciation and a bonus

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Arivia posted:

You’re supposed to throw anvils to the Flyers, not life savers.

It's batteries! Not anvils.

Also Alex Nylander looked....decent? Idk what happens with him but a good showing tonight. Granted without seeing any of the goals it seems like Jarry just pumpkined super hard. Whatever. Had to win that one. Team is still a mess. 1st round bound and out :toot: :toot:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Leafs win late, Sabres lose late, good hockey all around, what a fun night of games.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/bufsportstalk/status/1633301932998623232?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I’m going to scream

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1633307198863360000?t=uHi5tPa_Pn9gROVjtDMZpA&s=19
https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1633307628456534016?t=zqc6ngHOW_XQjTlo6hQCzg&s=19

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Torts loving sucks

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Farabee is gonna spear someone in the nuts next game

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

on one hand I heard that guy is bad because of some kind of American stuff but on the other hand, stabbing a guy in the nuts is bad rear end. So it's a wash

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pungry posted:

Going to have to give this post the old "FreezingColdTakes" treatment. Erik Gudbranson was allowed to play the entire PK in that OT. I don't know what the hell Larsen was thinking letting that happen other than "Bedard".

I'll own this one. They can't even lose right.

Here's more on Gudbranson from someone much smarter than I:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1633296411025350658

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Calgary fans should be the real screamers

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Has to be a kick of the foot or skate. It went off his shin.

Also doesn't look like a distinct kicking motion. Generally turning your foot/leg has been allowed.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Buffalo is going to barely miss the playoffs and we're going to have to hear about another stupid goal that shouldn't have been allowed until they make it again.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Apparently the NHL said the same thing as I just posted (I just went by what I always knew the rule to be).

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByMHarrington/status/1633306983368470529

Has to be off the foot/skate on any sort of kicking motion and this isn't. (I also don't think it's a kick)

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ginette Reno posted the rule that the puck can’t be directed/batted intentionally with any part of the body other than a stick, kicking motion deals directly with feet yeah but that rule covers the shin. Nylander definitely had a goal called off for heading it in which also falls under that rule, so it seems like the situation room just forgot about it?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
He shinned it with a forward motion of the entire leg which is.......how you kick something. Fortunately the NHL doesn't know what a kick is so it doesn't matter and 'cause you can only kick with your feet it's a good goal Gord.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Apparently the NHL said the same thing as I just posted (I just went by what I always knew the rule to be).

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByMHarrington/status/1633306983368470529

Has to be off the foot/skate on any sort of kicking motion and this isn't. (I also don't think it's a kick)

If that's the rule, why was this goal called back? Very clearly not kicked in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOZb5HKMAsM

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Printing screenshots of these posts to send to the NHL

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Here's the other angle on the NYI one.

https://twitter.com/TheChargingBUF/status/1633296578902388736

Koopa also makes a good point but if we're going to pretend it's a 'redirection' than :shrug:

Edit: ^^^ Obv none of mine. Too much paper, toner, and postage.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
I saw it happen from about ten rows back tonight and it looked good to me :shrug:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Has to be a kick of the foot or skate. It went off his shin.

Also doesn't look like a distinct kicking motion. Generally turning your foot/leg has been allowed.

78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the
Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public
Address Announcer for the following reasons:
(i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an
attacking player other than with a stick. When this occurs, if it is
deemed to be done deliberately, then the decision shall be NO
GOAL. A goal cannot be scored when the puck has been deliberately
batted with any part of the attacking player’s body into the net.

If it's not a kick because it wasn't off his skate, then it was intentionally batted in by his shin. It's still no goal.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Erik Karlsson wasn't super happy with the refs non-calling a double minor high stick, then getting an unsportsmanlike when complaining about it, then earned himself a 10 minute misconduct for this bit:
https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1633320299633704960

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

th3t00t posted:

If it's not a kick because it wasn't off his skate, then it was intentionally batted in by his shin. It's still no goal.
The stick position of the player is probably a major factor in the decision. It looks like he's trying to soccer style trap the puck down to his stick. Whereas with something like the Coleman goal his stock is lifted up out of the play.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Simplex posted:

The stick position of the player is probably a major factor in the decision. It looks like he's trying to soccer style trap the puck down to his stick. Whereas with something like the Coleman goal his stock is lifted up out of the play.

You must not have played a lot of soccer because the side of you shin is not nor really any part of your shin in general is at all is not where you trap anything puck or ball related. The players stick actually moves further away from the puck in the motion. The Islander is very much trying to redirect the puck with his shin. He didn't. But NHL don't care gently caress you go home we got a good goal Gord.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I loving hate hate hate that this poo poo is “competing” and justified for this dude.

But a month or so earlier , they’re quoted as flint “oh wow, Tony D is so bad at defense we are just surprised at how bad , yeah we will work with it.”

Yeah, dude “competes” by being an rear end in a top hat, yet this is a player that has been in the NHL for 5+ years and the coach this year commenting on “holy moley he literally doesn’t know how to play defense.”

Just gently caress off, if Tony D had a compete level maybe he would be competitive and learn to play defense. What a loving embarrassment.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

rex rabidorum vires posted:

You must not have played a lot of soccer because the side of you shin is not nor really any part of your shin in general is at all is not where you trap anything puck or ball related. The players stick actually moves further away from the puck in the motion. The Islander is very much trying to redirect the puck with his shin. He didn't. But NHL don't care gently caress you go home we got a good goal Gord.

I'm assuming you haven't played much hockey if you think a player would rather take a puck off their foot than their shin pad if they can help it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Apparently Matt Murray played a game for the Stars the other night? :confused:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

He's pulling double duty like Sebastian Aho.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

more people should spear Corey Perry in the balls imo

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

fermun posted:

Erik Karlsson wasn't super happy with the refs non-calling a double minor high stick, then getting an unsportsmanlike when complaining about it, then earned himself a 10 minute misconduct for this bit:
https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1633320299633704960

drat, refs not calling a blatant penalty against the sharks how shocking

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Eric the Mauve posted:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=176241

**It's kind of funny how the first instance in the internet era of two players with identical legal names playing the same position during the same season happen to be two goaltenders, when there are so many more forwards or defenseman.

I'm sure it's happened before at some other point in time way back when, but probably nobody cared when you didn't have tables to populate with numbers ripped out of public databases.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 8, 2023

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Starsfan posted:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=176241

**It's kind of funny how the first instance in the internet era of two players with identical legal names playing the same position during the same season happen to be two goaltenders, when there are so many more forwards or defenseman.

I'm sure it's happened before at some other point in time way back when, but probably nobody cared when you didn't have tables to populate with numbers ripped out of public databases.

Greg Adams and Greg Adams both played LW for the Vancouver Canucks at the same time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

There’s no way you can determine intent there, that’s just silly.

But if the rule says kick has to be foot or skate then that loving sucks and maybe the refs should know the rules?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I went to bed thinking the flames had lost but then they won because our lord wants me to have hope (to see it crushed like the measly wretched worm that I am)

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

rex rabidorum vires posted:

You're loving high. +/- is dog poo poo because it includes short handed goals and empty netters against and some other random rear end poo poo. You must not be reading either. Conor McDavdi's defensive woes have not been over stated. He's literally bottom 1/3rd of forwards in actual outcomes this season. Over the last 3 seasons at 5v5 Conor McDavid is on the ice for 2.72 goals against per 60 which is good for 329th of 472 players (5v5 600 minutes ice time forwards only). That ranks him in the bottom 30th percentile of the league. Over that time he has outscored it and that's because 20/21 and 21/22 were 2 of Conor's BEST 5v5 years of his entire career only overshadowed by '16/17 which is....coincidentally....Conor's best defensive year in actual goals against and expected. But Conor's career is basically 4 years of 57%+ goals for at 5v5 and 4 years at 50 to 52% at 5v5. Point being Conor's defensive deficiencies are not overblown. He's freaking awful. See below for MORE

If your goalie isn't getting shot on you can't get scored on. Pretty simple. Yes I understand there are also 1000 other variables that go into this and actual goals against. I've also *always* tried to compare same season to same season when talking about Matthews and McDavid for the exact reason you state and yes there are tons of variables and coaches and *on* and *on* and *on* so year by year lets go -
all numbers 5v5 and forwards with 200 minutes of ice time using Nat Stat 'cause it's my 2nd home

2015-2016: (439 total players) McDavid 3.3 aGA/60 (434) and 2.47 xGA/60 (372). No Matthews. Alex Ovechkin 1.71 aGA (74) 1.99 xGA (84) Crosby 2.13 aGA (217) 2.23 xGA (226)
2016-2017: (434 total players) McDavid 2.14 aGA/60 (193 ) and 2.32 xGA/60 (272) Matthews 2.38 aGA (294) 2.59 xGA (396) Ovechkin 2.27 aGA (246) 2.54 xGA (379) Crosby 2.36 aGA (280) 2.51 xGA (372)
2017-2018: (447 total players) McDavid 2.72 aGA/60 (354) 2.76 xGA/60 (418) Matthews 2 aGA (96) 2.76 xGA (417) Ovechkin 2.65 aGA (333) 2.87 xGA (438) Crosby 2.61 aGA (317) 2.33 xGA (210)
2018-2018: (449 total players) McDavid 3.3 aGA/60 (427) 2.88 xGA/60 (428) Matthews 3.41 aGA (436) 2.81 xGA (418) Ovechkin 2.83 aGA (434) 2.96 (436) Crosby 2.06 aGA (106) 2.29 xGA (162)
2019-2020: (428 total players) McDavid 3.3 aGA/60 (398) 2.91 xGA/60 (412) Matthews 2.29 aGA (163) 2.36 (208) Ovechkin 3.24 aGA (392) 2.58 xGA (335) Crosby 2.95 aGA (342) 2.64 xGA (360)
2020-2021: (429 total players) McDavid 3.07 aGA/60 (375) 2.37 xGA/60 (272) Matthews 2.01 aGA (112) 2.06 (111) Ovechkin 2.7 aGA (304) 2.39 xGA (287) Crosby 2.12 aGA (141) 2.25 xGA (221)
2021-2022: (477 total players) McDavid 2.26 aGA/60 (147) 2.43 xGA/60 (199) Matthews 3.06 aGA (385) 2.04 xGA (24) Ovechkin 2.82 aGA (337) 2.69 (359) Crosby 2 aGA (78) 2.62 xGA (319)
2022-2023: (433 total players) McDavid 3.03 aGA/60 (340) 2.57 xGA (199) Matthews 1.98 aGA (80) 2.68 xGA (248) Ovechkin 2.74 aGA (282) 3.22 xGA (422) Crosby 2.49 aGA (216) 2.83 xGA (321)

Ugh this took so long I forgot my freaking point. Oh right

1. Anyway you slice it Conor McDavic is a bottom 1/3rd forward in actual goals against as well as expected goals against. Whether this hurts or helps the Oilers cause of 'winning' is up to you. I remain of the opinion I'd prefer the super star outscore teams significantly 5v5 and score sick powerplay goals. YMMV.
2. Here lies Sid. Not elite defensively. Propped up by sv%.
3. Matthews plays just enough defense to not hinder his team too much and scores at a ridiculous pace. Also helped by sv% in actual outcomes a bunch. Except that one time. Which is lol.
4. Ovechkin. I didn't really have anything else tbh.
5. I should have included like Landeskog or MacKinnon as another contrast but I was already 2/3rds through making my eyes bleed so look it up yourself if you're curious.

:hmmyes:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I went to bed thinking the flames had lost but then they won because our lord wants me to have hope (to see it crushed like the measly wretched worm that I am)

Is a 1-0 shootout win really a win at all?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

ThinkTank posted:

Is a 1-0 shootout win really a win at all?

markstrom is fixed!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

My Flames friend sent me a note that Markstrom has a 929save% since his kid was born so he's got that Fred Van Vleet dad boost goin

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

markstrom is fixed!

Thatcher Demko is too, just in time for the Canucks to crawl their way out of the Bedard lottery! I'm so glad they're gonna dodge that bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There’s no way you can determine intent there, that’s just silly.

But if the rule says kick has to be foot or skate then that loving sucks and maybe the refs should know the rules?

Ya it could be batting, it's just definitely not a kick.

I'm also curious as to the process for disputing the goal last night. I know in the past a goal has been allowed/disallowed for a specific rule then overturned like:

Goal allowed/disalowed.
Coach A challenges that interpretation
Call overturned
Coach B has to challenge for new rule infraction.

It's a stupid process and the NHL should just review everything at once but possible that's what happened? Again I don't know how the process played out last night.