Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Heliosicle posted:

I wish I had enough space that this was an option, should be in the not too distant future though.

Worth noting the ultra space saving option of flipping your bike upright while still attached to the trainer, to lean back against the wall behind. Might work depending on chainstay clearance with the trainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Embrace SB20 lifestyle, pray you never have to sell it

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I've got the opportunity to upgrade my bike to 12 speed ultegra di2 for around 50% of retail price. My bike is a TCR Advanced Pro 2 with 105 mechanical. What would you do, bicycle thread?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Do it

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Embrace SB20 lifestyle, pray you never have to sell it

Kickr Bike was honestly the best purchase I made last year.

Every day I say a little prayer so it doesn't die.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

thinking of supplementing my training, or almost complete lack therefor on account of working more (boo) and having a baby (yay), with indoor training.

ive been scoping out second hand smart trainers and im wondering what people here use. my baby momma loves indoor training so even if i dont really get into zwifting its still going to find use.

been seeing a bunch of tacx neo 2t for decent prices.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
don’t get a wheel on trainer. I got one and calibrating it sucks and it’s probably not accurate

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a patagonian cavy posted:

don’t get a wheel on trainer. I got one and calibrating it sucks and it’s probably not accurate

small ftp cavy

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

the actual number is, of course, above what my trainer is reading. probably by a lot

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
On the topic of FTP training, I've been using Trainer Road since November as prep for a long event this summer. I've made some gains in FTP (currently at 288 FTP, 74 kg) and the volume/intensity has ramped up on my TR workouts.

A question regarding TR workouts: how does the algorithm decide whether or not to make things easier? This morning I did Acquaviva, 6x5x30 seconds on, 15 seconds off. My "on" was at 389 watts, which I wasn't able to hold starting at the end of the 5th out of 6 sets. I'm coming off of a cold and wasn't feeling great, but TR still rated the workout as "Productive," and recommended no changes. Presumably I just roll with it right?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
TR will let you lightly "fail" a workout with no repercussions. I don't know the specifics, but there's definitely a point where it won't give you credit if you're too far away from the numbers. My wife got me referring to them as yellow and red fails as a holdover from a training system she used to use.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Residency Evil posted:

A question regarding TR workouts: how does the algorithm decide whether or not to make things easier?

You know when it asks you how you found it at the end of the workout? That. Rate it as hard. Or quit it and say why.

But also, you can just dial down the intensity percentage if you’re just nowhere near the pace but want to keep going.

Trainerroad can’t tell that you’ve been sick, and doesn’t adapt mid workout to a bad performance.

I think the adaptations are more based on balancing the kind of workout a bit and not giving you more TSS than you can handle.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

thinking of supplementing my training, or almost complete lack therefor on account of working more (boo) and having a baby (yay), with indoor training.

ive been scoping out second hand smart trainers and im wondering what people here use. my baby momma loves indoor training so even if i dont really get into zwifting its still going to find use.

I'm selling my neo 2t, not because it doesn't work well but because I can't stand indoor training. I'll stick to running outside if the weather sucks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Crumps Brother posted:

TR will let you lightly "fail" a workout with no repercussions. I don't know the specifics, but there's definitely a point where it won't give you credit if you're too far away from the numbers. My wife got me referring to them as yellow and red fails as a holdover from a training system she used to use.

Oh huh, didn't know that.

wooger posted:

You know when it asks you how you found it at the end of the workout? That. Rate it as hard. Or quit it and say why.

But also, you can just dial down the intensity percentage if you’re just nowhere near the pace but want to keep going.

Trainerroad can’t tell that you’ve been sick, and doesn’t adapt mid workout to a bad performance.

I think the adaptations are more based on balancing the kind of workout a bit and not giving you more TSS than you can handle.

Yup, I rated it as "hard" and put "sick" as the reason. TR still says no adaptations necessary. Next Monday I have "Sleeping Beauty +8," which is...6 sets of 5x30/15.

:negative:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Residency Evil posted:

Yup, I rated it as "hard" and put "sick" as the reason. TR still says no adaptations necessary. Next Monday I have "Sleeping Beauty +8," which is...6 sets of 5x30/15.

:negative:

You should’ve failed harder.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Residency Evil posted:

To expand, I just dug through my history to get recent "red" and "yellow" failures of mine. And I should mention that "credit" in this instance is with regards to progression levels which is also what adaptive training uses when determining how hard your upcoming workouts should be.

Edit: Also, come join us in the trainer thread!

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 8, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

numberoneposter posted:

I've been using a Kinetic Road Machine wheel-on smart trainer (resistance is not variable) for a while now and have no complaints. I don't care what the accuracy of the power meter is because it's precise enough that I can do my workouts and track increases in performance relative to previous workouts. It's a little noisy but not enough to disturb anyone else in the house. It took me one evening to get calibrated, and figuring out tire pressure and resistance wheel tension was maybe two workouts. Doing an FTP test (using the Kinetic app's values) took one workout and a few minutes to get my power zones updated in it.

Setup takes as long as carrying the trainer, front wheel chock, and bike in from the garage, maybe 3 minutes. Same to put everything away. Overall it takes up very little space.

Kinetic training app appears to be in its death throes. The Android app doesn't work at all anymore, iPhone app works fine on my old iPhone 6. It automatically uploads my workouts to Strava so I can track alongside my outdoor rides (to the extent you can compare the stats). I don't do zwift. The workouts that come on the app are pretty basic but easy to follow. Cadence sensing on it is very accurate.

If I was really wanting a smart trainer, I'd probably have done some more research and gotten a more current one, but this just happened to be a good price when I was looking for a dumb trainer so I got it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Went with a Fairmean bike bag. It arrived after 22 hours of ordering. They said they had a workshop in Japan right now, but even so, that’s a ridiculous turn around.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

numberoneposter posted:

Been riding inside with a Direto XRt trainer on zwift since Jan and it's been pretty transformative. It was a big investment but 100% worth it for all the weight I've lost and how enjoyable it makes riding indoors.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
My biggest complaint with Zwift is that, to me, it doesn't feel like the pedals/gears are actually connected to the speed displayed. X rpm x Y gear should= Z mph (minimum). Instead it feels like resistance is connected to gradient with a very loose spring and speed isn't connected to anything.

Basically if I go from flat to hill but maintain the same gearing and cadence my effort required should go up but speed shouldn't drop in half and it feels like it does for no reason.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It’s because youre climbing a hill. And you go slower. Hth.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

His comment isn’t really off base though? I expect it’s a consequence of limitations in resistance variation in the smart trainers… but is still a weird feeling that ultimately wouldn’t really matter to me if I actually zwifted much ever

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

ilkhan posted:

My biggest complaint with Zwift is that, to me, it doesn't feel like the pedals/gears are actually connected to the speed displayed. X rpm x Y gear should= Z mph (minimum). Instead it feels like resistance is connected to gradient with a very loose spring and speed isn't connected to anything.

Basically if I go from flat to hill but maintain the same gearing and cadence my effort required should go up but speed shouldn't drop in half and it feels like it does for no reason.

You sure this isn't your trainer? Pretty sure mine maintains speed when I go from flat to hill at the same cadence/gearing (Saris H3).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Steve French posted:

His comment isn’t really off base though? I expect it’s a consequence of limitations in resistance variation in the smart trainers… but is still a weird feeling that ultimately wouldn’t really matter to me if I actually zwifted much ever

Tbh, I have no idea what he’s describing because my KICKR doesn’t feel this way. Maybe after dozens of hours on the thing my brain is broken. If I keep power steady and the road gets steeper/resistance goes up I go slower. Is that’s not what’s supposed to happen?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've been using a Kinetic Road Machine wheel-on smart trainer (resistance is not variable) for a while now and have no complaints. I don't care what the accuracy of the power meter is because it's precise enough that I can do my workouts and track increases in performance relative to previous workouts. It's a little noisy but not enough to disturb anyone else in the house. It took me one evening to get calibrated, and figuring out tire pressure and resistance wheel tension was maybe two workouts. Doing an FTP test (using the Kinetic app's values) took one workout and a few minutes to get my power zones updated in it.

Setup takes as long as carrying the trainer, front wheel chock, and bike in from the garage, maybe 3 minutes. Same to put everything away. Overall it takes up very little space.

Kinetic training app appears to be in its death throes. The Android app doesn't work at all anymore, iPhone app works fine on my old iPhone 6. It automatically uploads my workouts to Strava so I can track alongside my outdoor rides (to the extent you can compare the stats). I don't do zwift. The workouts that come on the app are pretty basic but easy to follow. Cadence sensing on it is very accurate.

If I was really wanting a smart trainer, I'd probably have done some more research and gotten a more current one, but this just happened to be a good price when I was looking for a dumb trainer so I got it.

I like this post. TrainerRoad itself works really well with dumb trainers. Your three variables are tire pressure, axle pressure, and flywheel pressure. Before every ride I would inflate my rear wheel to the same number and turn the flywheel dial the same number of turns. I also scribbled on the threads of the skewer holder thingy so I always had that in the same place when putting my bike back on the trainer if I had it off for a bit. It really isn't hard at all. TrainerRoad has a power curve for just about every dumb trainer out there and will spit out fake power numbers for you based on your speed. And yeah, it might not be totally accurate, but that's the thing. Accuracy isn't actually important, just consistency. And TR will produce wonderfully consistent values as long as you keep your three variables in check. The virtual power reported by TR is the exact same concept as getting power numbers from the InRide app that HenryJLittlefinger is talking about in their post.

I'm not a zwifter so I can't say if it all plays the same elsewhere. But TR works great as an entry in to indoor cycling if all you want to do is train with power.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ilkhan posted:

Your 15lb trainer flywheel doesn't have the kinetic energy that your moving body+bike has, so when you get hit with resistance in Zwift, the flywheel decelerates faster than your real world bike+body would against the same resistance. Your legs end up having to start doing work moments earlier as a result, but your speed in Zwift is simply based on a power vs gradient vs whatever other small effects.

Something like a Stages SB20 with a 50lb flywheel would feel slightly better, but it's still not equivalent to a 160lb human + 20lb of bike/equipment.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 8, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do those things model wind resistance somehow?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Slavvy posted:

Do those things model wind resistance somehow?

Zwift has air, but it doesn't have wind.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The trainer difficulty slider in the settings also effects this. If you have it turned all the way down, you will not feel any difference on hills vs flat, your guy will just slow down. The default is 50% so it tries to simulate a grade of half of what you're going up in the game. Also, even at 100% the descents are still simulated as half. So yeah there's some disconnect from what would happen in reality there plus there's the thing where it's magnets trying to slow down a flywheel and not actually you riding a bike up a hill.

I do'n't really like having the "difficulty" turned all the way up anyway because all the little grade changes you can't really see on a screen make very drastic changes to resistance. Plus I only have a 50t single ring on the trainer bike so it would really suck to try to ride up the steeper hills in the game with it full on. I even turn it down to like 30% or so if I have to go up those stupid radio towers.

Anyway you tend to just get used to it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

vikingstrike posted:

Tbh, I have no idea what he’s describing because my KICKR doesn’t feel this way. Maybe after dozens of hours on the thing my brain is broken. If I keep power steady and the road gets steeper/resistance goes up I go slower. Is that’s not what’s supposed to happen?
I'm talking about increasing power to maintain the same cadence/gear and still drastically slowing down.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

vikingstrike posted:

On a physical bike, your speed at a given gear is a function only of cadence (assuming the back wheel isn't slipping), as a certain number of pedal revolutions per minute is a fixed number of back wheel revolutions per minute (again, for a given gearing), and as the circumference of the back wheel is approximately fixed so is your speed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

On a physical bike, your speed at a given gear is a function only of cadence (assuming the back wheel isn't slipping), as a certain number of pedal revolutions per minute is a fixed number of back wheel revolutions per minute (again, for a given gearing), and as the circumference of the back wheel is approximately fixed so is your speed.
Exactly. It's very frustrating.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I hadn't really noticed but I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to stop noticing it now

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Thanks for the explanation. This makes sense now.

Suppose I’ve just never noticed this when riding. Although I don’t do much free riding in Zwift. It’s either events or workouts both of which I focus on power more than speed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's much more natural to change gear to keep power + cadence the same than it is to change power to keep gear + cadence the same, so it doesn't come up much

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

Thanks for the explanation. This makes sense now.

Suppose I’ve just never noticed this when riding. Although I don’t do much free riding in Zwift. It’s either events or workouts both of which I focus on power more than speed.

Think about how you get up to speed at the start of an event. You can put out whatever power and cadence you want right from the beginning and the game gets you up to speed over time (faster if you're putting out more power). In the real world you can't go from zero to 400w/100rpm because your pedal rotations are directly tied to the movement of your wheel on tarmac. You get a similar effect every time you hit a hill or sprint it's just less obvious.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Bringing some fresh air to all this trainer talk.

https://i.imgur.com/B095fV7.mp4

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Angryhead posted:

Bringing some fresh air to all this trainer talk.

Gorgeous! I clearly don't have the hang of aesthetic bike photos, but I went up some hills:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

foutre posted:

Gorgeous! I clearly don't have the hang of aesthetic bike photos, but I went up some hills:

Where was the ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Two actually - the first is Twin Peaks in San Francisco, and the other is a park in the hills above Oakland. Twin Peaks in particular is gorgeous - it's a closed off stretch of highway in the middle(ish) of the city on top of a hill that overlooks the Bay, with some hiking trails and a bunch of graffiti. The descent is kind of intense, but that's a lot of biking around SF vOv.