Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Lockback posted:

Arenas kept getting checks from his 2008 contract until october 2016.
The Blazers are still paying Andrew Nicholson almost $3M this season

And next

Blazers mgt: "Welcoming Allen Crabbe with open arms to the Portland Trail Blazers' family is a decision that will impact the direction of this proud franchise for many years to come"
*single toe on monkey's paw spasms uncontrollably*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Here is an early peak at the Clippers new arena

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/1633219044777271297

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

we need a federal ban on ESPN

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Oh yeah I forgot they were building that. When's it supposed to be done?

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yeah, he should be more like the guy averaging 33 points per game if he doesn't want to be accused of padding.
Watching him chase assist #10 last night was pretty funny. Though in fairness he helped ice that game with a really heady play, managed to foul Poeltl when he didn't have the ball and putting him on the line where Poeltl missed both attempts. One of those ones that gets missed in the box score but totally made a difference

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
i figured out a cool way to pad my stats: never miss a field goal

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

iirc Javaris threatened to shoot him over a card game on the team plane so Gilbert called him out for that by putting out an array of guns on a table and leaving a note saying to pick one.

Calling out a future murderer for being too scared to shoot you and offering him some guns.

To be fair Javaris was in fact a terrible shot and hit the wrong person.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Stagger_Lee posted:

i figured out a cool way to pad my stats: never miss a field goal

Also try passing the ball to teammates who have an easy shot. Refs hate it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Fast Luck posted:

iirc Javaris threatened to shoot him over a card game on the team plane so Gilbert called him out for that by putting out an array of guns on a table and leaving a note saying to pick one.

Wasn't there a clip from a conversation about that between Arenas and Bomani Jones? Arenas said he was just trying to call his bluff, and Jones replies with "though you later found out he might've been holding aces."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/garysheffieldjr/status/1633230120533254144?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

clips look a little forlorn that it's just poured concrete

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I remember when Arenas dropped 60 on the Lakers in LA. For a while he was amazing to watch. Shame.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Kawhi is like "I'm just here so I don't get fined"
Russ is like "Try not to freak out in these cheap clothes."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

temple posted:

Kawhi is like "I'm just here so I don't get fined"
Russ is like "Try not to freak out in these cheap clothes."

Has russ even done fashion dickies?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Bored Man gets paid

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
lmao

https://defector.com/entire-clippers-roster-gathers-to-watch-team-owner-shout-toilets

edit: i'd like to make sure that no one clicks that and doesn't see this linked video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxbJw8PrIkc

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 8, 2023

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
We’re seven days in need of a new thread, someone else do the honors this time

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/adammcginnis/status/1633257223035187201

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Never forget when Booz had to evict Prince from his house

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Never forget when Booz had to evict Prince from his house

He was gonna beat him up because everything was purple!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

Calling out a future murderer for being too scared to shoot you and offering him some guns.

https://twitter.com/nikolaesthetic/status/1633144713531256849

If you'd told me in like 2005 that JJ would quite possibly be my favorite sports analyst on TV one day I'd have assumed nuclear apocalypse, but here we are.

Also gonna throw this out there just to be explicitly clear so nobody misinterprets anything I might say in the future, I dislike Ja now because I think gun culture is stupid bullshit that can gently caress off forever as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think they should lock him up and throw away the key or anything like that.

Hope Ja ditches all that poo poo, and I'll be happy to wish him all the success in the world at that point.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
perkins absolutely has to get off tv. he is sad and embarrassing kinda like how he played basketball

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If you'd told me in like 2005 that JJ would quite possibly be my favorite sports analyst on TV one day I'd have assumed nuclear apocalypse, but here we are.

I have hated that motherfucker since he was in high school. How dare he become a talented and funny analyst. It is disgusting and I don't like it at all.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

this is bald-spray Boozer erasure

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that might be the first picture ever taken of carlos boozer without his mouth open

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hollywood hulk hogan rear end beard

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
It's clear at this point that Towns is going to get shut down for the rest of the year, which actually provides us with a kind of clarity. Thankfully, in the past handful of games (anomalies like the Kings game aside) the Wolves have found their new identity, and answered the question of "Where the gently caress is the scoring gonna come from?" The answer is "literally no one except Edwards," which means they need to focus on taking scoring AWAY from the other team. Thankfully, they finally have the kind of roster that's actually pretty good at doing that. It took them most of their expendable capital to do it, but every one of their current starting five is now at least above average on defense. They even have two that can be called elite. What's more, the effort they've been showing on that end of late indicates that they're starting to realize where their strengths lie.

Unfortunately, when someone on the other team gets hot from three like Embiid did tonight, they just don't have enough firepower to answer back. Nothing that could be done about that, I'm afraid. Just gotta put this one out of their memory and move on to the next one.

They just need to grit and grind their way to the finish line and hope that gets them to the first round. Can't reasonably expect them to get any further than that - if you want to make noise, you've gotta be able to score, too. But as lovely as tonight was, they do at least now know what they have to do and how they need to do it. If they don't make it past the play-in, someone's head is gonna have to roll, and it'll probably be Finch's.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 8, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ammanas posted:

perkins absolutely has to get off tv. he is sad and embarrassing kinda like how he played basketball

It’s so embarrassing for the NBA that one of the 5 guys with the most air time talking about basketball constantly shits on players saying that they’re all lazy and can’t play real defense like they did in his day, just means not being able to shove guys as much. And other ignorant poo poo.
it was really funny when he was on Zach Lowes podcast a week ago, and Zach was just gushing about the book and how it’s half about the story of racism in Kendrick‘s hometown. And when Zach asked how he came up with the idea to do that, Kendrick said basically the ghost writer had the idea to do all of that and did all the research. But kudos kendrick for letting someone put your name on their hard work.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

maruhkati posted:

It's clear at this point that Towns is going to get shut down for the rest of the year, which actually provides us with a kind of clarity. Thankfully, in the past handful of games (anomalies like the Kings game aside) the Wolves have found their new identity, and answered the question of "Where the gently caress is the scoring gonna come from?" The answer is "literally no one except Edwards," which means they need to focus on taking scoring AWAY from the other team. Thankfully, they finally have the kind of roster that's actually pretty good at doing that. It took them most of their expendable capital to do it, but every one of their current starting five is now at least above average on defense. They even have two that can be called elite. What's more, the effort they've been showing on that end of late indicates that they're starting to realize where their strengths lie.

Unfortunately, when someone on the other team gets hot from three like Embiid did tonight, they just don't have enough firepower to answer back. Nothing that could be done about that, I'm afraid. Just gotta put this one out of their memory and move on to the next one.

They just need to grit and grind their way to the finish line and hope that gets them to the first round. Can't reasonably expect them to get any further than that - if you want to make noise, you've gotta be able to score, too. But as lovely as tonight was, they do at least now know what they have to do and how they need to do it. If they don't make it past the play-in, someone's head is gonna have to roll, and it'll probably be Finch's.

I am hoping Towns can make it back this season somehow, I mean I barely care about the wolves at all but if he doesn't come back the takes all summer about trading him will be too much for me.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The problem is it’s ratings first and putting a guy who will play the dumb thin skinned in my day things were better jock works for them.

But if it was NFL primetime and had some defensive lineman who was constantly talking about how players today are soft , and they suck compared to players in the old times, and none of the contemporary teams could be the 1985 bears or whatever the NFL would shut that sports talk radio poo poo down so fast

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

maruhkati posted:

If they don't make it past the play-in, someone's head is gonna have to roll, and it'll probably be Finch's.
"Hey, Chris. Great job continuing Ant's rapid development on both sides of the ball and finding a way to coax more offense out of Jaden. I know your best player and centerpiece of the roster missed 60 games and the playin, but we have standards here in Minnesota"

Also where was the news that KAT is shut down?

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Gobert was brought in because of the presumed fit with KAT. Still haven’t really seen it play out, would be ridiculous to try to get rid of him now. Only reason to consider it is if KAT doesn’t want to play with Rudy and is pushing for a trade.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

It’s so embarrassing for the NBA that one of the 5 guys with the most air time talking about basketball constantly shits on players saying that they’re all lazy and can’t play real defense like they did in his day, just means not being able to shove guys as much. And other ignorant poo poo.
it was really funny when he was on Zach Lowes podcast a week ago, and Zach was just gushing about the book and how it’s half about the story of racism in Kendrick‘s hometown. And when Zach asked how he came up with the idea to do that, Kendrick said basically the ghost writer had the idea to do all of that and did all the research. But kudos kendrick for letting someone put your name on their hard work.

Yeah I thought it was hilarious that his anecdote was about reading “his” book for the first time lmao

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Paracaidas posted:

"Hey, Chris. Great job continuing Ant's rapid development on both sides of the ball and finding a way to coax more offense out of Jaden. I know your best player and centerpiece of the roster missed 60 games and the playin, but we have standards here in Minnesota"

Also where was the news that KAT is shut down?

There are 15 games left and we have absolutely NO news nor even a vague timeline as to a return, with the only thing I've heard from anyone being rumors that the team is wary of bringing him back too soon. If he was going to return, we would at least be hearing a peep from someone. At this point you've got to wonder if there's even enough time left in the season for him to get re-acclimated if his injury WERE healed.

Also, if you can't figure out how missing the playoffs after dealing away vast amounts of capital in a move calculated to vault a team into contention might be the kind of thing that results in negative consequences for someone, you are beyond help. The KAT injury really doesn't hold water as an excuse, either. See, one benefit of trading for a second All-Star center is that when your first All-Star center goes down for most of the season, you can still reasonably expect to be at least as successful as you were the previous season, when you had but a single All-Star center.

It also cannot be stressed enough that Connelly did not hire Finch. He would have every incentive to bring in one of HIS guys at the first sign of underperformance. He would be able to cite the poor, unmotivated performances against teams like the Hornets and Spurs, in which the team simply could not get up to play, which would sting all the more if they missed the playoffs. He wouldn't be unreasonable to blame this on the coach, either - Ant and Jaden might be young, but the roster as a whole really isn't, especially now.

Still, we're all talking in hypotheticals - I think they'll manage to reach the playoffs. Don't think they fire Finch if he at least duplicates last year.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 8, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KAT was all NBA last season, assuming you'd do better without him is ridiculous. We're you assuming they were only going to play one per game or something?

It's really easy to find a new team instead of posting the same thing every few days.

Chronicles posted:

Gobert was brought in because of the presumed fit with KAT. Still haven’t really seen it play out, would be ridiculous to try to get rid of him now. Only reason to consider it is if KAT doesn’t want to play with Rudy and is pushing for a trade.

It would be ridiculous, it won't happen. Kat has years left on his contract and Minnesota can't rebuild anyway.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Lockback posted:

KAT was all NBA last season, assuming you'd do better without him is ridiculous. We're you assuming they were only going to play one per game or something?

It's really easy to find a new team instead of posting the same thing every few days.

It would be ridiculous, it won't happen. Kat has years left on his contract and Minnesota can't rebuild anyway.

If you were talking to me, I said not one word about trading KAT. I simply doubt he plays again this season.

I have stated multiple times in this thread and other threads that they literally CANNOT trade him. They have no choice but to try to make this work.

If you were responding to someone else, I apologize. But if you were talking to me, gently caress you for putting words in my mouth that I not only didn't say, but have said the literal opposite of multiple times.

I made a post tonight I thought was very even-handed and wouldn't offend anyone. I said they were finally finding their identity! I said the defense was really coming together - even immediately after a game they lost by more than 20! Here, I'll even say more: Alexander-Walker was a very savvy pickup! It's very heartening that Jaden is starting to get more national recognition! But no, apparently claiming this clearly flawed squad is anything less than the '96 Bulls is just too much doom and gloom for Something Awful Dot Com.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 8, 2023

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
dang calm down y'all acting like the posts just livestreamed having a gun in a strip club

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Ed

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Dario saric is magically good again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The guy I quoted quoted Rick who talked about trading KAT in the "hypothetical talk pieces" way. That's where that came from.