Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Mammoth creates a lot of weird physics stuff, but I never really feel like it's a good show. It's got the Huge concept of a bot that is hard to damage because of how odd it is, but then there is absolutely no weapon at all. Does a bunch of little love taps and tries to win on technically "hitting" the opponent more. It's like watching a Floyd Mayweather match except Mammoth loses 90% of the time.

Yes, I am still salty about that playoff match against Copperhead :colbert:

Mammoth had some good showings back when ringouts didn't require an act of God. In the current Battlebox, there's no chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Apparently the Captain Shredderator team were very pissed at the Riptide guy after the competition. Interested to see what this is about. Maybe a match controversy or an Ethan Kurtz making an rear end of himself controversy.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Apparently the Captain Shredderator team were very pissed at the Riptide guy after the competition. Interested to see what this is about. Maybe a match controversy or an Ethan Kurtz making an rear end of himself controversy.

Sounds like he's not a heel, he's an actual rear end in a top hat.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I appreciate that the Mammoth flair breaks the format

Also, yeah, Ethan Kurtz, Apparently Just An rear end in a top hat is making me feel very charitable towards the Ewerts

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah I don't really have a big issue with Jake Ewert other than he should probably have shut up about losing a little sooner; even with the cowcatcher thing it seemed a lot more like a referee failure than him flaunting anything, in retrospect

Tombstone's just funny because Ray Billings seems like really obviously a nice guy having a good time

Mason's guest commenting next episode and I don't know if it'd be funner if he keeps up his shtick during the whole thing or drops it entirely just for that. The guest commentating has been fun though they should keep it up, even if mostly they're just awkward.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The ewerts have a long history of being rules lawyer types. The things they do aren't always in the spirit of the competition but are technically allowed. See: son of whyachis initial weight bonus as a walker for using shufflers, minibots that do nothing but high center opponents, the bike rack. Kinda douchy but not being assholes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Great Beer posted:

minibots that do nothing but high center opponents

To be fair, has any other minibot ever done anything effective in a fight? High-centering is about all they can do besides be mascots/get team kids some stick time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I love high-center minibots and shufflers, an opinion I've had forever. More weight bonuses for silly engineering!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Oh poo poo, :siren: drama incoming :siren:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Chronojam posted:

I love high-center minibots and shufflers, an opinion I've had forever. More weight bonuses for silly engineering!

Shufflers are cool but they aren't walkers and don't deserve the full bonus weight a walker gets. I love seeing crazy poo poo like stompychomp even if it's not effective.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

PostNouveau posted:

I have a high tolerance for drama, but I really hope the show doesn't spend a lot of time on the MAGA chud vs the autism/vax grifter

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

El Fideo posted:

I have a high tolerance for drama, but I really hope the show doesn't spend a lot of time on the MAGA chud vs the autism/vax grifter

I would appreciate it if they'd tone down the drama where they can for the teams' sakes. Apparently, the Minotaur-Witch Doctor match last year actually generated loving death threats for Team Witch Doctor, and the Tantrum-Hydra match caused a lot of harassment for Team Tantrum, and Lisa Winter gets a fair amount of harassment in general, and I think you can see the pattern here.

But whatever this is sounds like it's unavoidably going to be dramatic. Also it involves only dudes so unless it's a controversial judging decision, it probably will mysteriously not result in harassment of the teams.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PostNouveau posted:

I would appreciate it if they'd tone down the drama where they can for the teams' sakes. Apparently, the Minotaur-Witch Doctor match last year actually generated loving death threats for Team Witch Doctor, and the Tantrum-Hydra match caused a lot of harassment for Team Tantrum, and Lisa Winter gets a fair amount of harassment in general, and I think you can see the pattern here.

But whatever this is sounds like it's unavoidably going to be dramatic. Also it involves only dudes so unless it's a controversial judging decision, it probably will mysteriously not result in harassment of the teams.

:smith:

I agree with this assessment

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Considering Shredderator probably has next to 0 chance against Riptide. If there is some post match drama, I would bet good money that Ethan made a few post death hits that pissed Team Shredderator off.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Considering Shredderator probably has next to 0 chance against Riptide. If there is some post match drama, I would bet good money that Ethan made a few post death hits that pissed Team Shredderator off.

Oh yeah, that sounds like exactly something he'd do. Go for the de-shelling like Tombstone did to Gigabyte.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He recreates Shredderator's inevitable defeat then gets dizzy and falls on one of them

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

i will say that, without reading or knowing anything at all, if this is nick nave (brian's son) he's been on the subreddit a lot over the years just kinda generally being an rear end and a sore loser. usually willing to talk up any and all drama. so just take it for what it's worth. it varies from year to year but i remember him popping off years back about multiple stuff

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Great Beer posted:

The ewerts have a long history of being rules lawyer types. The things they do aren't always in the spirit of the competition but are technically allowed. See: son of whyachis initial weight bonus as a walker for using shufflers, minibots that do nothing but high center opponents, the bike rack. Kinda douchy but not being assholes.

too many teams used those minibots prior and after for me to hold that against them, and warrior clan using them was because it was designed for the 200lbs class and it's legitimately a psychotic enough design that you can't really simply just 'scale it up'. using that extra weight as minibots just so you can get a design that never got on TV is fine

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A little breakdown of the Scorpios / Sawblaze fight and delivering the Overkill blade to Jamison Go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPaHazSnTYQ

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

too many teams used those minibots prior and after for me to hold that against them, and warrior clan using them was because it was designed for the 200lbs class and it's legitimately a psychotic enough design that you can't really simply just 'scale it up'. using that extra weight as minibots just so you can get a design that never got on TV is fine

I was thinking more of the 1lb micro wedges new Son of Whyachi used briefly. They were entirely incapable of doing anything but high centering the target. With things like warrior clans wedges or shaman they at least had the ability to release after wedging.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

High centering an opponent really is the only thing the minibots are ever good for. Some teams run them just because they have the weight, but getting under the other bot is pretty much their only strategic use. Even Gemini running 2 125lb bots couldn't do poo poo against a 250lb bot...

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

It seems like it’ll be nothing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bushido Brown posted:

It seems like it’ll be nothing.

Psh, seems like Borsche69 was right about Nick Nave just liking to stir poo poo up on Reddit

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Witch Doctor vlog from before and after the Gruff fight. And some Minotaur planning as well and pretty much accepting their frame is at least going to get wrecked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICr0eEtDzg

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Witch Doctor vlog from before and after the Gruff fight. And some Minotaur planning as well and pretty much accepting their frame is at least going to get wrecked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICr0eEtDzg

:stare: they cut through a wheel hub the long way

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Spoiler from the episode... Pretty obvious Shredderator was dead / dying, but still spinning and moving so Riptide gave them a few extra hits until they stopped, no tap outs in Battlebots... Seemed pretty obvious they were not happy. Could say they got shredderated.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 9, 2023

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Congrats to Team Riptide, I guess, for somehow making me root for Team Shredderator. Egads that team is obnoxious.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Riptide-Shredderator: woooooooo that Shredderator frame is toast. I dunno if I buy Riptide's excuse that the free-spinning shell made it look like it was still functional.

Mammoth-Deathroll: Just noticed how much of a resemblance Deathroll has to the new Kraken.

Ah, all those pit problems Mammoth had really showed in the fight. That wasn't much of anything.

Banshee-Emulsifier: Both bots looked gimpy to start. Mainly I think those treads aren't doing it for Emulsifier. It gets around OK (nothing to write home about) when it's not engaged, but as soon as it engages, it's completely unable to push its weapon through. I think the fork actually hurt them a lot in that fight because of that lack of drive power.

Copperhead-Kraken: Oh my god, Kraken looked Claw Viper-level fast for about 3 seconds there. Despite getting their rear end beat, Kraken looked wayyyyyyyyyyy more functional than their other fights.

Copperhead looking great again as usual, but they haven't really faced the cream of the crop so far.

Future fight speculation: I think Ripperoni is a somewhat favorable matchup for Copperhead, but I could see it going the other way. Ripperoni just needs to flip them and get one good shot on their backside to win.

Horizon-Shatter: lol that Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee minibot. I would hope there's not a team in the field that is sad enough to be slowed down by that thing.

Horizon finally gets a proof of concept? Great to see them so pumped at finally getting their bot working. It's a super weird weapon that seems like it's got a critical RPM point where it goes from doing absolutely nothing to doing something (not that it hits incredibly hard when it's full speed though.) Can't tell how many of those hits were Shatter's weapon sending itself flying.

Obviously a good time for Shatter to appeal. Seems like a very technical fight to score so I could see a scorecard going the other way, especially with Horizon's weapon going halfway down and Shatter not having anything but cosmetic damage.

Ominous-Shreddit Bro: Ominous did a Nightmare!

Saddest fight of the year? They put a loving long-rear end preview for Whiplash-Monsoon in the middle of it! I can't recall them ever doing that before.

Whiplash-Monsoon: Really interesting fight.

On first glance, I think Monsoon won it so I can see why they appealed. There was so much for the judges to look at in that one.

Weird Monsoon guy spooning his girlfriend the whole fight.

Overall: Worst episode of the season so far?

3 weeks off, apparently!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think the show did a good job this week of not letting an appeal get in the way of things. It seems like we're going to see more of them as teams with nothing to lose take a hail mary appeal.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Riptide-Shredderator: woooooooo that Shredderator frame is toast. I dunno if I buy Riptide's excuse that the free-spinning shell made it look like it was still functional.

Yea I dunno. Team Riptide are cocky assholes and I really hope someone really just fucks their bot up. But realistically it was like 10-20 seconds where they definitely could have backed off, but if the other bot is spinning / moving, not many teams would unless they had a slow spin up time. Plus they always claim, "If we're spinning, we're winning..."

quote:

Copperhead-Kraken:

Future fight speculation: I think Ripperoni is a somewhat favorable matchup for Copperhead, but I could see it going the other way. Ripperoni just needs to flip them and get one good shot on their backside to win.

Not really a spoiler for anything but... I'm not sure. The fight is going to come down 100% just to the ground game. In all of Copperhead's career, they haven't had too many fights against verts. They beat Fusion & Lockjaw last year and lost to Witch Doctor.

quote:

Horizon-Shatter: l
Obviously a good time for Shatter to appeal. Seems like a very technical fight to score so I could see a scorecard going the other way, especially with Horizon's weapon going halfway down and Shatter not having anything but cosmetic damage.

Horizon/Shatter still I think it was a good fight to challenge the judges decision. But I think the judges got the decision 100% right. Sure Horizon ran away to spin up, but shatter didn't chase them down... Also 2 of the judges gave Shatter the aggression advantage anyway.

But also it seems like a bad trend to have in the future. Teams with losing 0-2 / 0-3 records challenging judges decisions just because they need a win to have a shot at the tournament. Also kind of a problem with Shatter's armor and not sure why they keep running it. Most of the time their hammer isn't going to damage the other team, but their armor gets ripped off, even if cosmetic it's obvious which team is going to win the damage category

quote:

Ominous-Shreddit Bro: Ominous did a Nightmare!

Saddest fight of the year? They put a loving long-rear end preview for Whiplash-Monsoon in the middle of it! I can't recall them ever doing that before.

Yes definitely a really sad fight. They've had other worse fights in years past, but this season they are airing all the fights during the season. There's not any YouTube / Sci Fi channel only fights.

quote:

3 weeks off, apparently!

:( guess Discovery channel doesn't want to bother competing with March Madness.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea I dunno. Team Riptide are cocky assholes and I really hope someone really just fucks their bot up. But realistically it was like 10-20 seconds where they definitely could have backed off, but if the other bot is spinning / moving, not many teams would unless they had a slow spin up time. Plus they always claim, "If we're spinning, we're winning..."

To bolster Riptide's case a bit too, It's extremely important to get the kill shot when you can. Fights often come down to one big shot that disables something important, and teams have lost matches by not taking the open shot to see if their opponent was still moving.

That said though, Riptide wasn't in any danger of ever losing this one. They could have afforded to back off and assess because even if Capt. Shred spun back up and started moving again, Riptide was simply going to pound it into the dirt again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah with that one tbh if it were me I wouldn't have stopped either. It's still moving and they didn't start a countdown, and it was really only a matter of seconds.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah with that one tbh if it were me I wouldn't have stopped either. It's still moving and they didn't start a countdown, and it was really only a matter of seconds.

There is some chatter online about something I didn't notice during the episode that Capt. Shred team essentially tapped out and was asking Riptide team to stop hitting them. No tapping out in Battlebots and all, but if that's true it's some real bad sportsmanship.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

But also it seems like a bad trend to have in the future. Teams with losing 0-2 / 0-3 records challenging judges decisions just because they need a win to have a shot at the tournament.

I think it might go even further than just the hail marys. Split decisions are so rare that probably the optimal use of your appeals is to just appeal any split decision no matter what point of the tournament you're in.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

There is some chatter online about something I didn't notice during the episode that Capt. Shred team essentially tapped out and was asking Riptide team to stop hitting them. No tapping out in Battlebots and all, but if that's true it's some real bad sportsmanship.

I saw that but we know that they tend to splice stuff like that oddly so I wonder. The ref said they gave a warning though, so maybe it's worse than it looked to me.

Unrelatedly Mammoth is neat, but man they need to reconsider what they're doing. It can't seem to do anything without lifting itself. Mason's a good commentator for this! He knows when to drop it lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 9, 2023

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

tbh Riptide was probably doing them a favor considering Shrederator sucks rear end and they should try a new bot already

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Mason's a good commentator for this! He knows when to drop it lol

Thank god

Queering Wheel posted:

tbh Riptide was probably doing them a favor considering Shrederator sucks rear end and they should try a new bot already

I hope if Shrederator is too damaged to do the last fight that they give it to Terrortops.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That preview during them ominous vs shreddit bro fight was the most disrespectful thing. :lol:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

RBA Starblade posted:

Mason's a good commentator for this! He knows when to drop it lol

Kenny looked delighted watching the shift. Based on his background, I imagine he appreciates a good persona.

Great Beer posted:

That preview during them ominous vs shreddit bro fight was the most disrespectful thing. :lol:

We promise there's a good one right after this! Please don't change the channel!

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I dunno, I was expecting Riptide to get in free shots during the countdown or something. That seemed like a normal level of violence to me