Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
How does Midnight Sons run on the Deck? I saw it's verified but that doesn't mean it runs great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
How is RDR2 on the deck? I played through on PS4 and have a hankering to play it again…. And it’s on sale too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It’s excellent. Locked 30 fps. Definitely recommended.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m maybe a half hour in and it runs well so far. The default settings seem pretty good, but I’m sure I haven’t stressed the game yet, since I’ve only done the fire fight you get into in the intro section

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The only issue with RDR2 I had on deck is that it was a game that always needed to be online, and that's rockstar's fault. Otherwise, great deck game.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How does Midnight Sons run on the Deck? I saw it's verified but that doesn't mean it runs great.

I’m about 6 hours in, played probably half of that time on deck and haven’t had any issues. I’m using default settings and locked the frame rate to 30. I have ran the CryoUtilities and increased vram but not sure if that is required.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It doesn’t need to be always online, but it does need to connect to the stupid Rockstar Social Club when starting it up.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Is RDR2 a game that expects you to have played the first in the series at all? Afaik it has the same protagonist as the first?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Is RDR2 a game that expects you to have played the first in the series at all? Afaik it has the same protagonist as the first?

No, he’s in it but it’s a prequel and you’re playing someone else.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rockstar could use some of that GTA Online cash to remake RDR1 but they’re just gonna hoard it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’d rather have GTA 6 than RDR1 tbh.

It’s insanely hosed up that over a span of 12 years we had everything from original GTA to GTA4 and two decent sized expansions, and now we’re a decade deep into GTA V being re-released across 3 loving console generations with no end in sight.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Commander Keene posted:

If you've played the original you're more familiar with the characters and it's a good setup to the events of the first game. Do you need to play the first game? Nah, not really but it helps put a lot of things in context and makes the story more fulfilling. Rockstar assumes you're at least familiar with the first game but it's far from mandatory. Just read a plot synopsis of the first game if you want to fully understand the characters and you'll be good enough. They're developed well enough to definitely not require it though.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’d rather have GTA 6 than RDR1 tbh.

It’s insanely hosed up that over a span of 12 years we had everything from original GTA to GTA4 and two decent sized expansions, and now we’re a decade deep into GTA V being re-released across 3 loving console generations with no end in sight.

I think it just comes down to "why make/release new thing when old thing still sells so well". Every year, you're hearing about GTAV selling another 10 or so million copies. It's sold more units than Sony did Playstation 2's. It is the best selling entertainment product of all time. Then you have GTAV online which at one point, was bringing in an additional billion dollars a year.

but yeah, I'd love a remastered (Remarstoned?) edition of RDR1

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh yeah it’s obvious why they haven’t done it, they already have a money printer.

That doesn’t make it any less hosed up from an “I’d really like to play a new game in the franchise I enjoy” perspective.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

For RDR2, I don't know if it's still this way, but if you did any of the bios-y things to give yourself more video memory you may for some reason tank performance with rain scenes or any visible flowing water. It stands out in the benchmark, and I ultimately reverted to the default video memory assignment. Ran great after that anyway.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Deck runs RDR2 better than my Xbox Series X. poo poo is voodoo

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

What a *steal* - ask me for tips on Steam deals.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Majin posted:

What a *steal* - ask me for tips on Steam deals.

Holy poo poo lol

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I think I need to buy an sd card just for payday 2, it is a very large game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

History Comes Inside! posted:

Oh yeah it’s obvious why they haven’t done it, they already have a money printer.

I think the big issue with RDR is the source code for it is in bits and pieces or something kinda fucky and it's too much :effort: for them to even attempt it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Over a year out from launch, here is an interview with Valve designer Lawrence Yang and engineer Pierre-Loup Griffais:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-community-continues-to-blow-our-minds-valve-talk-the-steam-deck-one-year-on

quote:

"The biggest surprise for me has been seeing how Steam Deck has changed the way people are playing their games. One thing we've learned recently is that of the people who've purchased a Steam Deck, 42% of them end up spending the majority of their Steam gaming time on Steam Deck – preferring it over their other devices."

"a true next-gen Deck with a significant bump in horsepower wouldn’t be for a few years."
(I don't care about a Deck 2 now, but it's a popular enough topic.)

In other news, there's an HD texture pack for the open Jack and Daxter port. Not that it would make a huge difference on the Deck's screen, just another reason to if you haven't played it yet.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Bob A Feet posted:

How is RDR2 on the deck? I played through on PS4 and have a hankering to play it again…. And it’s on sale too.
I'm doing my very first playthrough now on my Deck. It's great. I have it locked to 40fps and some decent looking visual settings. Pretty solid until the big city, where it hovers near 30fps.

I've had it crash once or twice. Nothing lost, though. FSR does tend to make rain look a bit blurry, but otherwise, it looks and plays amazing. You can even use the touch pad to reel in fish instead of having to use the joystick.

A++ would play again.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey guys, I'm going to be changing jobs this spring to something that has me traveling a heck of a lot more. I love my Switch but I'm giving up hope of getting the library I assumed we'd have 6 years ago. I basically want to load something up with all the top-tier games I missed from the 2010's when I didn't have a PC. Also any Gamecube and PS2 compatibility is welcome. I have a RP3+ for my earlier retro library but would love to get more current games.

Anyways, I caved and ordered a Deck on Monday. Says it's packaged and waiting to be shipped. Hurry up and get here, sucka!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's a good thing the Deck is so good because it's still the only device that'll do all that without costing over $1000.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Rolo posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to be changing jobs this spring to something that has me traveling a heck of a lot more. I love my Switch but I'm giving up hope of getting the library I assumed we'd have 6 years ago. I basically want to load something up with all the top-tier games I missed from the 2010's when I didn't have a PC. Also any Gamecube and PS2 compatibility is welcome. I have a RP3+ for my earlier retro library but would love to get more current games.

Anyways, I caved and ordered a Deck on Monday. Says it's packaged and waiting to be shipped. Hurry up and get here, sucka!

Welcome to the fold.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Rolo posted:

which one did you get

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cowman posted:

which one did you get

512. I was gonna go small and upgrade the chip myself but ehhhhhhhh nahhhhhh.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Open secret: 512-havers are the best people

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

512. I was gonna go small and upgrade the chip myself but ehhhhhhhh nahhhhhh.

Honestly not having to install a screen protector is nice too. I don’t regret it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rolo posted:

It comes with a nice case so you got that covered. I’m sure you know to get a big microSD card. What I recommend getting is a 65w charger with a USB C port and a 10ft USB C to C cable. The charger it comes with is short and not powerful enough to charge while playing. I went with a ten foot cord so I can play in bed without worrying about ripping the cord out.

This is the Amazon Basics cable I use.

Here’s an Anker charger that would do.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Squiggle posted:

Open secret: 512-havers are the best people

Lots of people are saying this!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

It comes with a nice case so you got that covered. I’m sure you know to get a big microSD card. What I recommend getting is a 65w charger with a USB C port and a 10ft USB C to C cable. The charger it comes with is short and not powerful enough to charge while playing. I went with a ten foot cord so I can play in bed without worrying about ripping the cord out.

This is the Amazon Basics cable I use.

Here’s an Anker charger that would do.
Huh. I never had an issue with the charger itself. It charges while I play. BUT the Anker brick does look smaller and easier to travel with, plus more ports. I love Anker's charging stuff, so I might just have to pick that up.

Thanks!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

unruly posted:

Huh. I never had an issue with the charger itself. It charges while I play. BUT the Anker brick does look smaller and easier to travel with, plus more ports. I love Anker's charging stuff, so I might just have to pick that up.

Thanks!

it charges while i play too--quickly. if it doesn't there's something wrong.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I looked into the charging thing and iirc 40W is all you need to be able to charge at the max rate (20W) while playing at the max power usage (20W).

I'm disappointed the Deck can't charge faster than that but it would probably cause heat issues.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

is there a way to test input lag? i can't tell if it's my controller or my tv

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Hey Mes while you're here, change the discord invite in the OP to https://discord.gg/hXZeMPF27y
Never expires, no user limit.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

What I recommend getting is a 65w charger with a USB C port and a 10ft USB C to C cable. The charger it comes with is short and not powerful enough to charge while playing.
The Anker chargers are no better than the OEM here. The Deck supports at most 15V, so it can draw no more than 45W at from any USB-C charger even if the charger supports higher power (at 20V).

The 45W Anker Nano II is a good bit smaller than the OEM charger if you want a second charger. I have a 65W Anker Nano II that's about the same size but also works with my laptop.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mescal posted:

is there a way to test input lag? i can't tell if it's my controller or my tv

Easiest way to do that is probably to play the Deck undocked but with the controller connected, and/or docked to the TV but without a controller, and see if either or both configurations have lag, and which has more

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vichan posted:

Lots of people are saying this!

It’s the blue dot and white zip pulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I bought the 64GB but my replacement 512GB SSD came today, so I'll be cracking it open later and then I can actually start messing around with settings and emulators properly.