Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Ihmemies posted:

How do I backup Windows disks as disk images to a network drive? I looked at Veeam, but a backup software's download taking TEN GIGABYTES is way too loving much. Why it takes so loving much space for a simple backup software? Even Windows takes half the size of that, and it's a whole complete OS with bells and whistles!

Any alternatives?
Is this for a sporadic backup you can do manually, or something you're looking to have as a regular scheduled background task without interrupting using windows? If it's the former, you could boot in to Clonezilla live usb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

Is this for a sporadic backup you can do manually, or something you're looking to have as a regular scheduled background task without interrupting using windows? If it's the former, you could boot in to Clonezilla live usb.

Dunno. I just want "backups". Which would be better? My NAS has space and I have a 10gig LAN. I have a cloud backup too but it backups only files, some easy to restore disc images would be sweet, I hate reinstalling/reconfiguring crap.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I guess regular scheduled backup that work transparently in the background without input are best because, honestly, we all know we should backup often but I'll do that boring poo poo tomorrow.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ihmemies posted:

I looked at Veeam, but a backup software's download taking TEN GIGABYTES is way too loving much.
lolwat?

I suppose this is because it ships with plugins for everything and their moms? Even then, 10GB, presumably compressed, is a shitload of program code.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

I guess regular scheduled backup that work transparently in the background without input are best because, honestly, we all know we should backup often but I'll do that boring poo poo tomorrow.

Yes. Just wondering if there are any lightweight options available for Windows..

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Who gives a poo poo about 10GB in TYOOL 2023.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wibla posted:

Who gives a poo poo about 10GB in TYOOL 2023.

It means the Software is absolute pure trash, so I give huge shits. Surely there must be other software too?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

10GB for one piece of software.
Did Veeam invent an expansion algorithm?!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Maybe it's full of instructional videos?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Ihmemies posted:

It means the Software is absolute pure trash, so I give huge shits. Surely there must be other software too?

I've been using Bvckup 2 for awhile and it's great

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

There is ample proof that veeam is not trash, but I do wonder what op installed. The standalone endpoint should be significantly more swelte than 10GB.

E: standalone agent shouldn't take up more than 200MB.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 8, 2023

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

You can download what looks to be everything they make. I guess that'd be 10gig

quote:

Veeam Data Platform
A Single Platform to protect and manage ALL workloads, apps and data:

Cloud, Virtual, Physical, SaaS, Kubernetes, VMware, Hyper-V, Windows, Linux, UNIX, NAS, AWS, Azure, Enterprise Apps, and more.

Looks fat to my non-coder eyes

Not giving them my email just to weigh it though

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

How do I backup Windows disks as disk images to a network drive? I looked at Veeam, but a backup software's download taking TEN GIGABYTES is way too loving much. Why it takes so loving much space for a simple backup software? Even Windows takes half the size of that, and it's a whole complete OS with bells and whistles!

Any alternatives?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd

This is intended to make disk images for virtual machines, but I guess you could use it as a backup tool as well :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wibla posted:

There is ample proof that veeam is not trash, but I do wonder what op installed. The standalone endpoint should be significantly more swelte than 10GB.

E: standalone agent shouldn't take up more than 200MB.
A 200MB binary executable is too big.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I succumbed to Acronis whatever Home. It was only 800MB, so much less bloat! A pity it costs 45€/year, but at least it offers a one-click image backup solution to network drive. I'll wonder about this next year, too much :effort: to think about backups for now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A 200MB binary executable is too big.

The download is a 145MB Zip.

It installs into Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup on my Win10 install, and consumes 104 megabytes of disk space there.

I think it's ok.

The whole download for Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition is 9.3GB.

I was going to ask if you're happy now, but I know you BSD, you're never happy :sun:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wibla posted:

The download is a 145MB Zip.

It installs into Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup on my Win10 install, and consumes 104 megabytes of disk space there.

I think it's ok.

The whole download for Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition is 9.3GB.

I was going to ask if you're happy now, but I know you BSD, you're never happy :sun:
Even 100MB is big, because PE32+ (the binary format used in Windows) uses dynamic linking to DLL files.
I'm tempted to wonder if they're building it with debug options enabled, but not enough to go check.

Also, that last remark seems particularly rude. :(

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Even 100MB is big, because PE32+ (the binary format used in Windows) uses dynamic linking to DLL files.
I'm tempted to wonder if they're building it with debug options enabled, but not enough to go check.

That's the total size of the folder, not the executable.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I use duplicati for home backups, it’s been fine

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

We just know that you have very high standards.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
TrueNAS had a pretty user friendly rsync to cloud backup utility built in. One area that it’s easier than Unraid.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

lawl

--edit:
And the DLLs in the game folder add up to another 160MB, btw.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

lawl

--edit:
And the DLLs in the game folder add up to another 160MB, btw.
Last I checked, video games weren't backup software.

Unless we're talking about Time Machine, I guess. :v:

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
I'm currently using proxmox to host OMV + other services. Is it possible to create a network in proxmox so that other VMs can connect directly through it without going through the network card (which I think it is currently doing/the default), as well as keep the current network connection for external connections? I may be misunderstanding how things work though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

hogofwar posted:

I'm currently using proxmox to host OMV + other services. Is it possible to create a network in proxmox so that other VMs can connect directly through it without going through the network card (which I think it is currently doing/the default), as well as keep the current network connection for external connections? I may be misunderstanding how things work though.

You can create a bridge network and not attach it to Ethernet. Then add second nics to your VMs and attach them to that bridge. I forget if proxmox serves dhcp so you might need to give them static addresses. Also make sure the subnet you use on that network doesn't overlap with your existing one.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I'm running out of space on my DS1618++DX517. All slots are full and I can only increase my capacity by replacing existing drives with 18TB or larger drives.

Anyone have recommendations for 18TB drives and/or does anyone know if a DS1618+ can safely use drives larger than 18TB?

Seems like Synology only officially supports drives up to 18TB, but you know, Synology special RAM and all that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can add a second DX517 as well

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Thanks Ants posted:

You can add a second DX517 as well

I'd rather move to a rackmount based system instead of adding another DX517 tbh but first I need to clear up some space, neither a DX517 or rackmount is an option for me financially right now.

I'm currently sitting at 80% use on SHR2 volume of 94TB and need to start replacing my oldest and lowest capacity drives.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Speaking of boxes. Does anyone make a quiet desktop/tower SAS enclosure? The alternatives seem to be nice but usb, nice but proprietary, or standard SAS but rackmount and stupendously noisy.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I built my last NAS in a Fractal Design R6 … but got foiled by the PSU being the noisiest part of the system. Hopefully fixing that soon :haw:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The quiet NASes will likely be those pricey pre-built NASes from the likes of Synology, QNAP, etc. Think there's ASRock or Asus sub-brand under an AStore name or similar that may be worthwhile.

I'm quieting a 3U Supermicro 16-bay server as a project for the moment as a sort of stress-relieving / mindlessness project and the real issue is the layout of the case requiring a lot of static pressure to suck air across those drives without trapping the hot air over the compute parts in the back. The SQ (SuperQuiet) designation on the PSU is pretty awesome.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Computer viking posted:

Speaking of boxes. Does anyone make a quiet desktop/tower SAS enclosure? The alternatives seem to be nice but usb, nice but proprietary, or standard SAS but rackmount and stupendously noisy.

Silverstone, they have a number of cases that have drive bays built in, like this one. Alternatively try to find a cheap small-ish case with a couple of 5.25" drive bays and throw in some bay adapters.

Obviously with those options you still have to supply the rest of the system.

I will say, for anyone that doesn't follow Craft Computing, he's been messing around with a funky Ali Express board that has an Intel mobile CPU on it that honestly seems like a pretty cool value vs something like a NUC and could work great for a small NAS build.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 9, 2023

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Wibla posted:

I built my last NAS in a Fractal Design R6 … but got foiled by the PSU being the noisiest part of the system. Hopefully fixing that soon :haw:

I'm going between buying a small, low power server like an HP MicroServer gen 10+ or building my own. I currently use an old Mac Mini with USB attached Elements drives. I run a bunch of the usual containers on there.

If I go with the custom build my own NAS route, can I steal your parts list?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I wouldn't copy my list verbatim, as there are (vastly) better options in 2023 than an E5-2670 v3 with 128GB ECC ram and a p400 for transcoding :haw:

Are you considering abandoning the "small and cute" form factor?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Wibla posted:

the "small and cute" form factor?
This sort of thing has been bouncing around in my head now that large capacity ssds are getting cheaper.

It is 12x m.2 sata slots in one 5.25" bay.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I think it's possible that I'm missing something, but didn't Computer Viking ask about SAS, as in Serial Attached SCSI - rather than Network Attached Storage?

The short answer is that as far as I know if it's quiet, it's probably not cooling the SAS expander sufficiently.
I wouldn't mind being wrong on that, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got to imagine the only reason "quiet external SAS enclosure" is such a rare thing is because almost nobody wants it, not that it can't be done. I can't find an actual power spec for the Intel RES2SV240 SAS expander, but it can run on a single four-pin drive connector or a PCIe slot, so the power consumption is somewhere below 75W. I don't see why that would require much more than a small fan making sure the card itself has sufficient airflow.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just used a 120mm nexus fan running at 1000 rpm positioned so that it blew across the LSI HBA and the HP SAS expander I have running in my old box. Never had any issues. That machine makes less noise than my Fractal Design R6-based NAS build.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Wibla posted:

I wouldn't copy my list verbatim, as there are (vastly) better options in 2023 than an E5-2670 v3 with 128GB ECC ram and a p400 for transcoding :haw:

Are you considering abandoning the "small and cute" form factor?

I kind of like the HP microserver option, but it's pretty expensive and restrictive on the 4 drive bays. On the positive side it's got an iLO and warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm really liking the system I just put together around an X570 Taichi in the Silverstone KL04 case I was using from my old build. With a couple of converter brackets to go into the 5.25" slots, I have a total of 12x 3.5" and 4x 2.5" drive bays. The chipset provides 8 SATA ports and a SAS-2 HBA provides 8 more. With a 10G NIC and a GPU filling the other two full length slots, I have two PCIe M.2s for fast storage and two PCIe x1 slots left over.

Unfortunately the KL04 is discontinued and options for 10+ bays with good airflow that aren't giant rackmount chassis are limited, but at least the X570 board and supported CPUs/ECC UDIMMs are still easy to find.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 9, 2023