Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pooky posted:

And he said "Throw them into the cold, for they purchased crypto"

now that's an old school God I can get behind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dante would've been a crypto guy. There I said it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The government scientists must really loving suck to have had this poo poo for nearly a century and still not managed to figure out a goddamned thing

and the aliens are in the corner saying "you know we could just tell you, you just have to give up capitalism"

It's presumably been handed over to the MIC so there's been plenty of all-important grifting and a smattering of results

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Azathoth posted:

If you want a scholar that is both readable and (at least now) not Christian, take a look at Bart D. Ehrman. He is a respected biblical scholar who started out as a born again evangelical and is now somewhere around agnostic to atheist. His work has a really nice balance between academic rigor and readability.

Ehrman is a fun and informative read. I have almost all of his books. There's retreads in parts but you always get new insights. Very easy to digest and wholeheartedly recommend him. Jesus Interrupted is a great one to dip your toe into if you're just getting started.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

papersack posted:

Ehrman is a fun and informative read. I have almost all of his books. There's retreads in parts but you always get new insights. Very easy to digest and wholeheartedly recommend him. Jesus Interrupted is a great one to dip your toe into if you're just getting started.

and Misquoting Jesus is a nice romp through textural errors or conflicts rife through the divinely inspired word of god. Its a tad sullied by the nuathiests using it as a debate primer but its still a great read

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

so jack osborne, jamie kennedy, and jason mewes get on a skype call with jeremy corbell and then stumble around the utah desert in night vision goggles

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
There's a "this is my bitcoin, given up for you" &/or some kinda nft crucifixion joke in there somewhere. Slurp juice on a sponge? I dunno

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

In other news, thanks to advanced goonic expertise I have stumbled across in CYOA, the 7 heads guy has been revealed to be Yalpagan Xan, or as in wikipedia, Yalpaghan Khan or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yelbeghen. The glyphs in the paintings do not seem to be readily interpretable and would probably either need legit hardcore research, finding the painter and asking, or might just be :confused:?

Idk i feel like there's a strong right to left read order and some emphasis on variant forms of old turkic script, with a deemphasis on poo poo like "legibility" and "writing out straight lines that make sense."

'cause of this little escapade i'm gonna try and find a copy of that book in english, if it exists, because i wanna know what the story between Yalpagan and Mergen is.

quote:

Mergen (Old Turkic: 𐰢𐰼𐰏𐰤) is a Turkic deity of abundance and wisdom. Mergen is often depicted with a bow and arrow in one hand. Other important symbols include a white horse and the color white. He is associated with profundity and depicted as a strong and powerful god. Mergen is the son of Kayra[1][2] and the brother of Ulgan, and lives on the seventh floor of sky. He was portrayed as a young man with a helmet and a bow riding on a white horse. Mergen symbolizes intelligence and thought.

The word Mergen means archer or bowman in Turkic languages. In the Bashkir language the word märgän (мәргән) means marksman or sniper, while in Khalkha the cognate Mergen (мэргэн) means wise or genius.
There's gotta be a story because one's on the front cover of the book and the other's on the back cover, so. yeah.

This is ten thousand times more fascinating than the fake petroglyph electrosphere plasma stuff

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Mar 8, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wheeee posted:

i would have simply put the money into an S&P 500 index fund

Saul & Paul 500

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hell yeah, Bill
https://twitter.com/SenBillNelson/status/1633257471228911617?s=20

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/multistagecorre/status/1629582534026698755?s=20

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

people always say "it's just parachuters with flares" for these ones as if that's a common occurrence everyone has seen

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

people always say "it's just parachuters with flares" for these ones as if that's a common occurrence everyone has seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix5MOUMSR-0&t=22s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c17WOa2-n0M&t=8s

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i know when i go parachuting with flares i do it horizontally across the skyline and tightly packed with like 10 other flare-dudes

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

blatman posted:

i know when i go parachuting with flares i do it horizontally across the skyline and tightly packed with like 10 other flare-dudes

at night

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKXWj1Pe8Fk

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

starpilled bill

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Dante would've been a crypto guy. There I said it

Seems more like Virgil's jam.

Dante! Why do you refuse to seek more apes?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

bills a bit of a late bloomer boomer but i for one am glad he's finally dabbling in psychedelics :lsd:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Lib and let die posted:

Seems more like Virgil's jam.

Dante! Why do you refuse to seek more apes?

All my apes gone

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ravana has 10 heads which is unfortunate because no statue of him is symmetrical

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

All my apes gone

On that day...if our places had been switched...would I have lost all my apes?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Re-entering satellite debris.

Space Trash.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Failson posted:

Re-entering satellite debris.

Space Trash.

Sky trash and space junk

But yeah it most reminds me of the final Columbia reentry

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sean Cahill has posted a "UAP" video that appears to be taken on Lue's property

lol lmao

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:tinylue:AP

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

Sean Cahill has posted a "UAP" video that appears to be taken on Lue's property

lol lmao

goon project: geolocate :tinylue: bbq pit

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The gently caress are interdimentional attributes

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Wait what was going on that there were plasma discharges going off

I'm way behind on this thread. The idea that there were gigantic atmospheric plasma discharges in the past is an invention of the "electric universe" cranks. Basically they look at things like the grand canyon and say, "hey that looks like maybe plasma made that," and then it becomes part of their "theory." They're almost always electrical engineers by training. They have no real physical evidence or even physical arguments. They're a very, very strange cult. Like flat earthers.

Also all the talk about jesus not existing as a historical person is very strained, motivated reasoning. Like the people who think Shakespeare was Francis Bacon.

Now I can catch up ITT.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

goon project: geolocate :tinylue: bbq pit

I get the impression for all his faults Lue probably puts on a good BBQ

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://youtu.be/Jtb1THFjA2o

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

sharknado slashfic posted:

Imagining a bunch of people sitting in church and the priest says "OK listen, we have to talk about this God situation. Now don't freak out, but we found some papers..."

Azathoth posted:

This was literally a major plot point in The Da Vinci Code.

It also comes up in William Gaddis's novel, The Recognitions. A priest gradually crack pings and tries to move his congregation onto mithraism.

I like to talk/read about weird stuff and Above Top Secret is a little too uh...weird

You mean boomer /pol ?

I actually still need to write the final post in my black triangles posts series, about how the final truth about the black triangles was actually all revealed on ATS by one prolific & respected poster of the Aviation Projects subforum. That's not a joke, there really was such a poster, I don't think I believe him when he says he's part of an ancient breakaway civilization and the black triangles fly over our heads at night to harvest our dreams.

Bilirubin posted:

Congressman Says Alien UFO Tech Is Being 'Reverse Engineered' in Secret

What were we just saying about the congressional hearings having to be leaked for the info to get out to the public?

And speaking of the gnostics, I recommend you get hella blazed and listen to this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWii0qJpUKY

Rickshaw has issued a correction as of 02:04 on Mar 9, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rickshaw posted:

I'm way behind on this thread. The idea that there were gigantic atmospheric plasma discharges in the past is an invention of the "electric universe" cranks. Basically they look at things like the grand canyon and say, "hey that looks like maybe plasma made that," and then it becomes part of their "theory." They're almost always electrical engineers by training. They have no real physical evidence or even physical arguments. They're a very, very strange cult. Like flat earthers.

Also all the talk about jesus not existing as a historical person is very strained, motivated reasoning. Like the people who think Shakespeare was Francis Bacon.

Now I can catch up ITT.

Yeah Shakespeare was a stereotypical shady talent agent who exploited a well travelled lady and took all the credit for her work

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rickshaw posted:

Now I can catch up ITT.

I like to troll my mom with this because she's been watching that drat Oak Island show for like 10 years, and I keep telling her it's the documents proving the Shakespeare thing and they've all been destroyed by water by now so they'll never find anything.

She also discovered those lovely alien documentaries that there seem to be thousands of on prime and Netflix so I had to have The Talk about Bob Lazar with her a few weeks ago.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rickshaw posted:

It also comes up in William Gaddis's novel, The Recognitions. A priest gradually crack pings and tries to move his congregation onto mithraism.

You mean boomer /pol ?

I actually still need to write the final post in my black triangles posts series, about how the final truth about the black triangles was actually all revealed on ATS by one prolific & respected poster of the Aviation Projects subforum. That's not a joke,

What were we just saying about the congressional hearings having to be leaked for the info to get out to the public?

And speaking of the gnostics, I recommend you get hella blazed and listen to this guy

I might just read that. Also yeah that's a good way to describe ats.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rickshaw posted:

You mean boomer /pol ?

I actually still need to write the final post in my black triangles posts series, about how the final truth about the black triangles was actually all revealed on ATS by one prolific & respected poster of the Aviation Projects subforum. That's not a joke,

just saved a few cool gnostic images myself...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

I like to troll my mom with this because she's been watching that drat Oak Island show for like 10 years, and I keep telling her it's the documents proving the Shakespeare thing and they've all been destroyed by water by now so they'll never find anything.

Imagine being Petter Amudson, quiet norweigan organist and ski instructor, convinced he's finally cracked the Shakespeare code, tracing over many years and documents all the hints and clues that point first to Bacon, then to the Rosicrucians, then to the knights templar, then to Oak Island, taking several trips to the island, absolutely convinced that his treasure map is bearing fruit, finding more evidence, convinced that there under the ground lies undiscovered Shakespearian manuscripts written in Bacon's hand preserved in mercury as well as who knows what invaluable treasures (the ark of the covenant? the holy grail?) and then the History channel assholes drive over and drop a loving huge rear end drill onto your spot, drill down half a mile, then come back up with wood fragments and traces of mercury

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

:haibrower:
neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Slurp juice on a sponge?