Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

fisting by many posted:

Greg Adams and Greg Adams both played LW for the Vancouver Canucks at the same time.

Greg Adams (good)

Greg A. Adams (bad)

Can't remember but pretty sure the Bad One had to have A. Adams on his jersey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is there any serious reason other than tradition that we don’t want to allow kicking a puck in? Honestly, who cares?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Simplex posted:

I'm assuming you haven't played much hockey if you think a player would rather take a puck off their foot than their shin pad if they can help it.

I've played significantly more soccer at a higher level than I've played hockey (basement beer league roller lets go) so my instinct would in fact to be to use my left foot...off the ground to trap and control the puck with the inseam of my skate and then use the stick to bat the puck when it reaches the ground and since your original point was 'the player was trying to soccer trap the puck' the above, from a noted not good hockey player and decent soccer player, is what one would do to try and trap/control the puck in such a manner.

Edit: ^^^ Players intentionally swinging their very sharp skates around while player(s)/Goalie flail in the crease sounds like a good recipe for some mashed fingers and lacerated wrists among :shrug: other things

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah you’re probably right.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
it would be pretty cool if guys could use their skate as weapons if you ask me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If we're just banning dangerous poo poo, ban the dive block
people are always getting hosed up from those

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Regulation pucks hurt too much, make them play with the foam chuck a pucks instead.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1633269859420188673?s=20

This statement is so removed from reality lol. We will honor the gay community tonight by sitting by in silence

I wonder how many players in Minnesota refused to wear the pride jersey that they just decided to pull it altogether? Easier for the whole team to take their lumps than just letting Kaprizov a single player sit out the warm up Provorov-style and get rightfully poo poo on by social media

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 8, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Skate blade must be on the ice for it to count. Less of a judgment call than 'distinct kicking motion.'

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is all Provorov and Tort's fault, they proved in public that being a bigot isn't that big a deal in the NHL and now all the other chuds have been emboldened.

The "organizational decision" cop out is worthless, why aren't the people on the team that are in favor of pride night making themselves heard?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the problem is teams announcing special jerseys and taking them away makes everything else they're doing feel super disingenuous. I'm pretty sure every team does a Hockey Is For Everyone night where they use the rainbow tape, rainbow pucks, highlight local LGBTQ organizations, raise money for them, etc. That all seems good still. But you never hear about most of them because nothing controversial happens. If teams think one of their guys might be a vocal bigot about having to wear a jersey for 20 minutes, maybe they should just play it safe and not plan on jerseys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If teams think one of their guys might be a vocal bigot about having to wear a jersey for 20 minutes, maybe they should just play it safe and not plan on jerseys.

In the greater context of what's going on around the world/country that's an even worse decision because it signals to the right wing they're winning.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I've played significantly more soccer at a higher level than I've played hockey (basement beer league roller lets go) so my instinct would in fact to be to use my left foot...off the ground to trap and control the puck with the inseam of my skate and then use the stick to bat the puck when it reaches the ground and since your original point was 'the player was trying to soccer trap the puck' the above, from a noted not good hockey player and decent soccer player, is what one would do to try and trap/control the puck in such a manner.

Yeah, in soccer you would use your foot because you have far more control of the ball, but it's really not uncommon for people to use other parts of their leg. I would strongly recommend not using your foot playing hockey, as that's a pretty good way to break your foot. Let the puck hit you somewhere you have padding.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
blues starting to take the draft seriously, got their asses kicked by arizona 6-2 last night

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cartoon Man posted:

Is there any serious reason other than tradition that we don’t want to allow kicking a puck in? Honestly, who cares?

Probably to prevent players from trying to kick the puck in the net because their shoes have sharp blades on them and that could lead to some injuries?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

xzzy posted:

In the greater context of what's going on around the world/country that's an even worse decision because it signals to the right wing they're winning.

Yeah I suppose that's valid too. In my mind doing all that other stuff is good, and it's better to not let the entire event be tainted by one rear end in a top hat who won't wear a jersey. It just seems odd to me that no one seems to care about the money being raised for local organizations and stuff. It's all about the optics of a meathead wearing a shirt.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Probably to prevent players from trying to kick the puck in the net because their shoes have sharp blades on them and that could lead to some injuries?

Yeah, hockey rules tend to be a mix of "don't do this because it's against the spirit of the game" and "don't do this because you could seriously injure someone by mistake."

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Simplex posted:

Yeah, in soccer you would use your foot because you have far more control of the ball, but it's really not uncommon for people to use other parts of their leg. I would strongly recommend not using your foot playing hockey, as that's a pretty good way to break your foot. Let the puck hit you somewhere you have padding.

You brought up that you thought the Islander was trying to trap the puck as if he was a soccer player. I'm not sure where you may have learned to play soccer, but if you're using the front or side of your shin to control a ball you're doing it wrong. So wrong.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Beyond the safety thing, I think it would be insanely stupid to watch two or three guys crash the net and kick at the puck repeatedly every time it gets loose in the crease.

Plus would it be fair to Marty Havlat?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
It's perfectly legal to re-direct the puck into the net off your skate or off your leg.

But the only thing you can use to propel the puck into the net is your stick.

Watch the video and pay attention to the follow-through of his leg. It's still moving towards the net after contacting the puck.

That's clearly propulsion.

No goal.

78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons:
(i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick. When this occurs, if it is deemed to be done deliberately, then the decision shall be NO GOAL. A goal cannot be scored when the puck has been deliberately batted with any part of the attacking player’s body into the net.

You can't use your leg to bat the puck into the net.

https://twitter.com/BUFSportsTalk/status/1633301932998623232?s=20

If he had stuck his leg out, and the puck had bounced off his stationary leg, like a basketball backboard, it would be a good goal.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

deoju posted:

Skate blade must be on the ice for it to count. Less of a judgment call than 'distinct kicking motion.'

Do you want more disallowed goals? Skate must be on the ice disallows goals from players just skating by and it inadvertently bounces off them, a guy getting crosschecked and falling and it bounces off him, and the stupidest reviews of was the skake a milimetre off the ice. If you don't want people kicking the pick, just make the rule don't kick the puck.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
It's a good goal, Gord.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

He was before my time so I never watched him but I kind of wonder if Langway actually wasn’t that good and was just carried by reputation and grit. Like if you can’t score in the 1980s then maybe you aren’t that good?

Admittedly his prime was before me being born but it could just as easily be that stay at home defencemen were more common then. Like yeah, you had guys like Coffey, Potvin and Ristolainen but there were a fair amount of guys whose game was similar to Langway's that were considered valuable from everything I read about that era

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

It's perfectly legal to re-direct the puck into the net off your skate or off your leg.

But the only thing you can use to propel the puck into the net is your stick.

Watch the video and pay attention to the follow-through of his leg. It's still moving towards the net after contacting the puck.

That's clearly propulsion.

No goal.

78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons:
(i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick. When this occurs, if it is deemed to be done deliberately, then the decision shall be NO GOAL. A goal cannot be scored when the puck has been deliberately batted with any part of the attacking player’s body into the net.

You can't use your leg to bat the puck into the net.

https://twitter.com/BUFSportsTalk/status/1633301932998623232?s=20

If he had stuck his leg out, and the puck had bounced off his stationary leg, like a basketball backboard, it would be a good goal.

Once again, let me point out that the rule says, “…if it is deemed to be done deliberately…” The puck can bounce off a leg/skate into the net; it happens all the time. They deemed that it didn’t violate this rule because it wasn’t deliberate. I know it looks deliberate slowed down, but it would be extremely difficult to determine that, in the 1/4 of a second that the puck was flying toward him, Fasching decided to move his leg like that to try to redirect the puck into the net. It really sucks that it happened and cost the Sabres the game. And it’s embarrassing that the refs didn’t even know the kicking rule required that it be done with the foot/skate. But tbh it’s a stretch to say that it violated that rule. Toronto was right and our suffering has been prolonged.

Edit: the kicking rule also uses the word deliberately:

Section 37.4 of the NHL rulebook states: "A 'distinct kicking motion,' for purposes of video review, is one where the video makes clear that an attacking player has deliberately propelled the puck with a kick of his foot or skate and the puck subsequently enters the net."

That’s kind of silly, I could think of a few situations where it could be determined to be deliberate but like 99% of the time it wouldn’t be deliberate.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 8, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's a bad rule because I've seen that exact kick called a goal as many times as not

I like the "skate is on the nice" suggestion, that's cleaner

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's a bad rule because I've seen that exact kick called a goal as many times as not

I like the "skate is on the nice" suggestion, that's cleaner

:yosnice:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

When I was refereeing local hockey when I was younger this is what they told us.. specifically kicking the puck in with your skate was banned to try and disincentive a situation where a player who's stick is tied up is kicking at a puck in the crease that a goaltender is trying to reach for with their glove hand.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

To put a different angle on good goal or bad goal chat

The isles absolutely dominated that game and it shouldn't have even been close enough for that to matter

I'm not sure if that makes the goal easier or more difficult to accept but this is where we're at right now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh I completely missed the upset being because Buffalo fans are still clinging to the dreams of playoffs
get outta here with that, that last seed is for my lovely old man team

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Oh I completely missed the upset being because Buffalo fans are still clinging to the dreams of playoffs
get outta here with that, that last seed is for my lovely old man team

Yeah, I could write 1000 words on why Spurgeon totally wasn’t offside on the OT game winner that got called back last night against the Flames, but nah. I can see it going both ways on the smallest of margins. Green tinted lenses make me want the call to go the other way, but why cry over spilled milk.

Wild had the better chances all night, something over 4 xG, but couldn’t beat Markstrom.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1633464140990922753?t=onseSfTpm2NBEY8vIMokuw&s=19

Throw the book at him, George!!!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Once again, let me point out that the rule says, “…if it is deemed to be done deliberately…” The puck can bounce off a leg/skate into the net; it happens all the time. They deemed that it didn’t violate this rule because it wasn’t deliberate. I know it looks deliberate slowed down, but it would be extremely difficult to determine that, in the 1/4 of a second that the puck was flying toward him, Fasching decided to move his leg like that to try to redirect the puck into the net. It really sucks that it happened and cost the Sabres the game. And it’s embarrassing that the refs didn’t even know the kicking rule required that it be done with the foot/skate. But tbh it’s a stretch to say that it violated that rule. Toronto was right and our suffering has been prolonged.
He was looking at the puck carrier, saw the puck coming and deliberately kicked out his leg at the puck.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Tony D is a good lad who means well

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

He was looking at the puck carrier, saw the puck coming and deliberately kicked out his leg at the puck.

He deliberately moved his leg, yes. He was not having a weird, involuntary muscle spasm. It would be extremely difficult to determine that his intent was to deflect the puck into the net.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Jhet posted:

Yeah, I could write 1000 words on why Spurgeon totally wasn’t offside on the OT game winner that got called back last night against the Flames, but nah. I can see it going both ways on the smallest of margins. Green tinted lenses make me want the call to go the other way, but why cry over spilled milk.

Wild had the better chances all night, something over 4 xG, but couldn’t beat Markstrom.

I actually shut it off after Spurgeon scored, I thought it was a good goal and he was in control backing across the blueline... completely missed the shootout.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/B_Sommermann/status/1632747228090494977?t=QcWXYL_TyQir-KyfItbPAQ&s=19

Hmm.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Probably won’t hear anything until after the season ends but the fit for Columbus would mostly be there , although they would be getting another forward who doesn’t play defense.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
why the hell does Columbus want Kevin Hayes? They better be taking a high pick from the Flyers if they're eating that contract

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

I actually shut it off after Spurgeon scored, I thought it was a good goal and he was in control backing across the blueline... completely missed the shootout.

Yeah, he possessed and controlled the puck and moved his stick to make the pass, but I think his skates were both in the zone prior to him controlling the puck? I'd have to watch it again, but that would make it offside. It was late by the time I had a chance to watch it.

I was more disappointed that they couldn't find a way to get it past Markstrom last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ginette Reno posted:

why the hell does Columbus want Kevin Hayes? They better be taking a high pick from the Flyers if they're eating that contract

The front office realizes they need some veteran guys to show the way for the kids, especially with Gus and Jake gone (though Gus wanted to stay and might be able to be had for cheap). This could be that along with getting Johnny friend to play with.

The issue is that Kevin Hayes is not what one in the trade would describe as a "defenseman".