Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I would do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Steam Deck is powerhouse just get the $400 one and buy a cheap 512gb ssd for $50 from Ebay. PS2/Wii/GC all work flawless. PS3 and 360 is iffy. Cant get xenia to work.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Green Gloves posted:

Steam Deck is powerhouse just get the $400 one and buy a cheap 512gb ssd for $50 from Ebay. PS2/Wii/GC all work flawless. PS3 and 360 is iffy. Cant get xenia to work.

Xenia works but only on Windows.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

njsykora posted:

Xenia works but only on Windows.

Yeah I am super tempted to get dual booting just to play Lost Odyssey and the Condemned games.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

TIL the save files for reGBA on the 280v are stored in the gpSP directory, while gpSP save files are stored in the retroarch directory. Wanna know why? So the gently caress would I! :psyduck:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Heads up, Minis dropping in half an hour.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1632958722720018432

E: And they all sold out in the time it took me to add one to my cart.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 7, 2023

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I own a Mini and it’s nice but it’s insane to do all this work to get one. I set up GarlicOS on an RG35XX and it’s exactly the same, but you can buy them with no horseshit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Chemmy posted:

I own a Mini and it’s nice but it’s insane to do all this work to get one. I set up GarlicOS on an RG35XX and it’s exactly the same, but you can buy them with no horseshit.

Personally I'm probably going to just wait till the supply reaches the point where people will have listings on Amazon with only a relatively light markup before getting the Mini+, might get a RG35XX soonish though(since its already at that saturation point), probably will end up getting both to compare for myself between them and then give the "loser" to one of my siblings as a gift

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Mini has wifi which places it higher to me, I think at this point even in budget devices people should be expecting wifi. The kinds of people who buy these are probably into retro achievements, but even if they're not (hello) being able to scrape game data and boxart as well as cloud saves is important. Though as more time goes by the feel I get is I should probably just get an Odin Lite or RP3+. There doesn't seem to be anything major coming up to release any time soon at least, the only rumours coming out of Retroid are of their vertical handheld and clamshell.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The miyoo mini does not have wifi

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

The miyoo mini does not have wifi

The Mini+, which is now the default Mini does.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I went to go google that but this popped up as sponsored link and I want everybody to laugh at it for a bit with me

$20 usd + $16 shipping

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

At the point where you're spending $20 on a grip you should start wondering why you didn't buy a different handheld.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I buckled on a Game Gear Deck. If I don’t like it I’ll sell it :shrug:

How long these things take to ship and deliver in the US? Bummer there weren’t options.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In the US the Deck I think is 1-2 weeks. To the UK mine was about a week from shipping notification to arrival.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rolo posted:

I buckled on a Game Gear Deck. If I don’t like it I’ll sell it :shrug:

How long these things take to ship and deliver in the US? Bummer there weren’t options.
I got mine in about a week from the point of sale, but that was back in late July, who knows how things are now.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

njsykora posted:

At the point where you're spending $20 on a grip you should start wondering why you didn't buy a different handheld.

I bought a replacement set of buttons for my RG35XX.

drat near almost the cost of the (admittedly cheap) handheld itself when you factor in shipping and all that nonsense

At least my Dpad isn't being lovely anymore.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

njsykora posted:

It's a case that doubles as a grip. Not a bad idea IMO.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Steam Deck confirmed beeeeeiiiiigggg.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Rolo posted:

Steam Deck confirmed beeeeeiiiiigggg.

Some guy saw my steam deck after the TSA check today and started asking me questions about it. I was more than happy to spread the good word to him.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’d been wanting hard to see one in the wild beforehand but oh well they got my money.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ll never bail on my cheap little handhelds for retro gaming but holy cow the Steam Deck kicks rear end for more intensive games. I love this giant bastard.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
It's quite large.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think my Retroid Pocket 3+ is about as big as I'd want a retro handheld. The Deck kicks rear end though

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah those 2 are my 1-2 punch. I’m not putting anything below GameCube on the SD because the 3+ is perfect for that but there was a period from like 2010-2016 that I didn’t play games and I don’t want to sit at my desk to play a decade old game. The Deck is perfect for those.

For example, just went through Portal 2 for the first time ever and I would have missed this incredible gem of a game without the ability to play it how and when I wanted.

Granted I don’t really consider it a retro game.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rolo posted:

Granted I don’t really consider it a retro game.

Unfortunately we're probably not too far off :corsair:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
LastCrusadeGuy.gif

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

2 gen rule, Portal 2 was a PS3 game.

Also be careful if you're using an android handheld, one of the former AetherSX2 devs is looking to torch the remains of the project.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1635349407184080897
loving emulator devs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love emulator/mod/custom firmware devs and how Discord amps up their bullshit by giving them a supportive audience

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tiny Timbs posted:

I love emulator/mod/custom firmware devs and how Discord amps up their bullshit by giving them a supportive audience

how does black seraph have a patreon with $4,754 a month

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

He was the first to realise people would pay for useable firmware while laughing at the suckers who were fixing devices for free.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

njsykora posted:

He was the first to realise people would pay for useable firmware while laughing at the suckers who were fixing devices for free.

I'm more shocked that most people don't sub for a month, download the firmware they want, then eject cause he ain't touching any device you own again most likely.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grassy Knowles posted:

I'm more shocked that most people don't sub for a month, download the firmware they want, then eject cause he ain't touching any device you own again most likely.

They do but custom firmware isn't the most stable thing around so you generally do want the updates as they come out. I think he supports a pretty wide range of devices.

I think technically he's violating Android ToS by selling it but who knows if that'll come to anything

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Thanks for the heads up, mine hadn't updated yet and I had the chance to turn off auto updates

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

There's been close to 50 updates in 10 consecutive weeks for GarlicOS on the RG35XX with no sign of slowing down. I'd have been happy if the version 8 weeks ago was final as it's still a huge step up from stock, dude works hard for the money.

Also I didn't need to pay anything for the firmware, it looks like the patreon support is just from people who like what he does.

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 14, 2023

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Gym Leader Barack posted:

There's been close to 50 updates in 10 consecutive weeks for GarlicOS on the RG355XX with no sign of slowing down. I'd have been happy if the version 8 weeks ago was final as it's still a huge step up from stock, dude works hard for the money.

Also I didn't need to pay anything for the firmware, it looks like the patreon support is just from people who like what he does.

I didn't realize this was the same guy that did GarlicOS, dude's a machine apparently.

But his Android stuff is locked behind the $10/mo tier paywall. I don't like subbing and unsubbing immediately for a download; if it was available at the $3 level I'd just sign up and leave it, but $10 every month is a bit much IMO. I hardly even use the Android side of the rg353 devices, it'd just be to play with and see what's there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Retroid0fficial/status/1635611768239079425?t=ogUr2ChRztjTi6SJis5rmg&s=19

There it is

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I'm really gay for clamshells so I'm getting this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So is that a Retroid Pocket 3+ or what in there