Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

against d.va like many other tanks, you want to take alternate shooting angles that are within reasonable proximity to some type of healing. for w/e reason people call this an "off angle" in OW

the alternate angle helps prevent d.va from blocking all 5 of your team's shots and threatens shooting her teammates that pop into LOS. if she looks at you on an off angle, it makes it much harder for her to block off other angles too. if she puts all her attention and focus on a single DPS on an off angle but can't kill them, that can [in theory] give your tank a lot of space to gently caress up the enemy team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oh yah if they have a genji or any combination of aggressive mobile heroes (e.g. mercy, kiriko, sombra, tracer, winton), do not take an off angle by yourself if you know your team will not immediately support you and they could dive you. play anti-dive and make them come to you with your team being able to immediately support you.

if you die to multiple heroes in a 1vx, it is usually your fault. if you end up in a genji 1v1 duel where he has deflect, it is usually your fault. genji close 1v1 duels are very weighted to the genji b/c he can poke and select between confirming a kill with burst or deflecting and backing off with dash.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Also note Dvas "head" critbox is slightly below center mass, where the cockpit glass is. Once you know where that is, it gets easier to blast her.

But also Sym is legit a strong character right now so she's a great pick into Dva and other tanks that can't deflect beams, like Orisa.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pattonesque posted:

question for you -- around GM levels, is it common to get one dude on the team (usually DPS) who's dying like 50% more often than everyone else?

This happens to me all the time in low diamond and I'm kind of fascinated by it. I'm wondering if it's just a consequence of a hyper aggressive playstyle not working out but I'd say in 75% of my games there's one dude (on either side) who just keeps headbutting bullets and never adjusts his play to *not* do that.

Not any more than other's, I think, its just really, really noticeable when someone shouldn't be there.

In terms of death stats, I probably die more than most people because my job is to be in, but double has always meant i'm feeding.

There's a limit, 9 deaths for most of your team and 18 for one dude? He's having a lovely game, for sure.

12? poo poo man, maybe he just dies to reset because he know's everyone needs to run out of spawn together anyway and doesn't want to accidentally stagger the spawns.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 6, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I played attack on Dorado vs a pocketed pharah named pharah, and they were GM1. I'm gold/silver DPS at best. God drat was that a stomp.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Inept posted:

I played attack on Dorado vs a pocketed pharah named pharah, and they were GM1. I'm gold/silver DPS at best. God drat was that a stomp.

I am likely the same rank and played against a top 500 Baptiste last night that ended up with 12,000 damage and 12,000 healing, doubling every other player on the team. Couldn’t do much but laugh as we got the absolute poo poo kicked out of us by a healer that never missed from a mile away.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

At least the challenges themselves aren't terrible for once?
Everything else about this event still is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Who is this UI designer and why aren't they fired yet?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

There was a big 2 hour dev stream, did anyone watch? Does anyone care?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Still watching it now that I’m done with work. There’s validation given to the community sentiment on matchmaking. I’m honestly surprised how long they’re staying on this topic.

Also, patch notes https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/live/2023/03/

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Would it be a broken idea to have defense matrix go down faster as it absorbs things? Always felt like that was such a broken defensive option. It can nullify 90% of everything.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

there weren't enough separate queues so they added competitive mystery heroes

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

quote:

Competitive Mystery Heroes!

Lets gooooooooooo!!!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

All and all this seems to be a good balance patch.
Orisa nerf is pretty rough, but gently caress her.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Those changes to the weekly challenges are nice. Especially adding mystery hero to the arcade one.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

This new "See your progress in challenges after match" is really a feature that I didn't realize I wanted.
Really handy.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011

quote:

The matchmaker will now prioritize putting parties together which have a similar delta between the highest and lowest rated player

More lies. Just had two games in a row against the rank 122 support. I’d be lucky to be a plat dps.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I keep having constant non-stop losses whenever I try to play the game.

Now, I'm perfectly willing to accept that I must've suffered a stroke without noticing sometime when this season started and became completely dogshit at every role, but the game is clearly unwilling to adjust my MMR at all.

I looked back at my win rates for previous seasons and my win rate has never gone below 45% before, and now I'm rapidly closing in on 35%.
Great matchmaking system there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Play another game for a bit, dude. It legitimately helps. Go play apex or smth.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If this is all caused by issues with queue times. They know they can just have less queues right?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'm getting some wildly short que times and wildly varied skill levels in the lobby.

I assume the two are connected.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Mega Comrade posted:

If this is all caused by issues with queue times. They know they can just have less queues right?

I mean, the main complaint about OW1 was queue times and if you don’t want long queue times you have to accept getting piledrived by near OWL level people regularly when you are in silver.

I remember watching that video of the size of a population to have good matchmaking and, especially with the terrible balance by blizzard, I don’t think there are simply enough people playing to get good matchmaking.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Most of my matches seem ok. Maybe people should try being me

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

Good thing they are adding comp MH. (which I am actually hyped for)

leftist heap posted:

Most of my matches seem ok. Maybe people should try being me

Same. Maybe I am you?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Most of mine are fine too but that's because the only matches I play these days are in my head as my home internet took a poo poo and refuses to stay on for longer than 2 minutes at a time.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I put diamond challenger as my title 'cause I was diamond (in support only) last season and people get real weird about it. Like "oh how much did you pay for this account" right at the start of the match, before I even demonstrate why I'm in gold DPS or people legitimately crying and complaining about how matchmaker is hosed because they're a gold against a diamond. Diamond's not even particularly good!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Lotta :tinfoil: going on

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

I put diamond challenger as my title 'cause I was diamond (in support only) last season and people get real weird about it. Like "oh how much did you pay for this account" right at the start of the match, before I even demonstrate why I'm in gold DPS or people legitimately crying and complaining about how matchmaker is hosed because they're a gold against a diamond. Diamond's not even particularly good!

I made it to gm on support and console and I'm very excited to get my title and wear it to play on PC, which I've hardly played on. they're all going to be pissed

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fartington Butts posted:

Lotta :tinfoil: going on

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I made it to gm on support and console and I'm very excited to get my title and wear it to play on PC, which I've hardly played on. they're all going to be pissed

it was so fuckin weird, it happened *literally five games in a row*

like we lost a game and one of them was like "heh, diamond, sure" and I'm like do you not understand how roles work in this game, or

hexal
Sep 7, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'm getting some wildly short que times and wildly varied skill levels in the lobby.

I assume the two are connected.

There’s definitely something wonky going on. Queues are always far shorter than the predicted time and flex queue has changed. It used to always be mostly support with a sprinkling of dps but this season it’s nothing but dps every game. I haven’t had a flex tank game in over a week.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i saw a comp queue time of 1/2/6 the other day which was a big wtf moment

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

hexal posted:

There’s definitely something wonky going on. Queues are always far shorter than the predicted time and flex queue has changed. It used to always be mostly support with a sprinkling of dps but this season it’s nothing but dps every game. I haven’t had a flex tank game in over a week.

There’s a collab event running so people are coming back in droves to get the skins and crap. Yesterday it felt like most of my games had a doomfist tank because of the OPM skin.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lord Packinham posted:

I mean, the main complaint about OW1 was queue times and if you don’t want long queue times you have to accept getting piledrived by near OWL level people regularly when you are in silver.

I remember watching that video of the size of a population to have good matchmaking and, especially with the terrible balance by blizzard, I don’t think there are simply enough people playing to get good matchmaking.

The only time I ever saw long queue times was when you had a 6-stack of GM streamers, who were intentionally ducking the other GM-level 6-stack that was online at the same time, because they wanted to stomp on some uncoordinated lower-level players instead. Honestly I don't give a poo poo about their queue times, and I don't think the developers should either. Let them wait until that other 6-stack finishes their match and queues up again.

Although it's not like I played through all of OW1, it may well have gotten worse at the mid-levels as player numbers dropped off.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lord Packinham posted:

I think the main complaint about OW1 was they made it unfun and people stopped playing

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

my average heal/10 min as Mercy is up 10% compared to Season 1

Plat is so much more support-friendly than Silver/low Gold lol (also I'm sure that heal buff for targets below 50% helps too)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

hexal posted:

Ha opposite for me. The 500 banner will even be on the support tab, but every time this season I get thrown into tank. Probably my least interested role after they gutted my piggy boi.

Inept posted:

I think the main complaint about OW1 was they made it unfun and people stopped playing

Yeah. The shield meta is what made me stop playing ow1.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They never recovered from role lock.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

They never recovered from role lock.

They never recovered from Goats and lets be honest, that all started with brig. Moira is not without blame either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't think Moira has really been a staple outside of tiny meta's and that dumb 4 tank moira rush meta where you give her ult within like, 5 seconds of a teamfight and then just use it to run through a team.

But yeah, they should have just deleted brig, lol. I remember when streaming i attached a filter to a kick pedal so that every time she stunned me (remember that she used to be able to 1v1 rein? lol) the entire screen would get overlayed with giant red STUNNED graphics.

That season legitimately gave me a headache to play.