Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

SKULL.GIF posted:

Already hard at work. No griping or bitching.

https://twitter.com/cameronwolfe/status/1633191576749867010

Wonder how long it'll take before it all goes to his head like the last two.

It'll be after his first Super Bowl win in 2026.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shrimpy posted:

If the Jets get Aaron Rodgers, then I'd expect his former OC to run the offense that Aaron Rodgers is most familiar with.

Does he run the LaFleur offense if Rodgers isn't there? Who knows. But if Rodgers is there and Hackett knows the offense, he'd take "being a bad coach" to new heights.

Rodgers has complained about Lafleur’s offense in the past. He stated that he prefers a WCO style passing attack which is what Hackett has run at his other stops. What will probably happen is that Rodgers is going to walk all over Hackett and they’re going to end up running whatever Rodgers wants and it’ll probably be dysfunctional just like it was with the Broncos.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'll believe Satan is real if the Packers go from Favre to Rodgers to Lamar

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Chris James 2 posted:

The world isn't proof enough?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh no what if Detroit wasn't competitive for a few years after a decade of playoff wins

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chris James 2 posted:

The Packers can't possibly make Lamar's contract work with their current cap situation, and, no, the cap is very loving real and messing with it means you're stuck in an infinite purgatory spiral of extending mediocre players while praying for an overrated miracle coach to save you.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

Oh no what if Detroit wasn't competitive for a few years after a decade of playoff wins

For the record, Jackson has one playoff win in his five year career. Actually looking into it he's got a pretty lovely record in the playoffs - 55.9% accuracy, 3-5 TD-INT ratio, 68.3 passer rating. His rushing stats are obviously better, but even then he's only got a single rushing TD.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

For the record, Jackson has one playoff win in his five year career. Actually looking into it he's got a pretty lovely record in the playoffs - 55.9% accuracy, 3-5 TD-INT ratio, 68.3 passer rating. His rushing stats are obviously better, but even then he's only got a single rushing TD.

The Ravens offense the last few years has rivaled the Bears for lack of talent and general dysfunction, in addition to everyone always being injured all the time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Ravens offense the last few years has rivaled the Bears for lack of talent and general dysfunction, in addition to everyone always being injured all the time.

This kinda proves the point though - Jackson, while good, isn't the kind of player that can singlehandedly drag a team through the playoffs. And while the Ravens struggled with talent and depth, a huge contract like the one he's looking for will inherently reduce the amount of talent and depth that a team can sign around him. In the case of the Lions specifically it would likely mean being unable to resign key players like Amon-Ra and Penei when their contracts come up in a few years, so realistically the dream of having Jackson with a fully functional offense would at best only be realized for a season or two.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

But what a season or two it would be

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The scary thing about Lamar is that you don't know that he's actually going to play many games on the huge contract you have to give him because he keeps getting injured. If he was healthy people would be much happier to pay him.

He might want a Watson deal but tbh I think GMs have wised up, people have already seen what a terrible idea that is and will want a bit of flexibility.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Now that Joe Flacco character, that guy can get hot and win you a SB!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What your describing right here is how literally every team already operates. Being competitive then entering a rebuild once that window shuts. It’s not a particularly new or even avoidable thing

Well good teams do that. I’m just annoyed because people always spout out, “the cap isn’t real”, when that is only the case for a little bit, then it becomes very very real. People act like you can put that poo poo off in perpetuity.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's very simple: One player doesn't count against the salary cap, and this way we can still see mega super deals and we can still build teams around them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well good teams do that. I’m just annoyed because people always spout out, “the cap isn’t real”, when that is only the case for a little bit, then it becomes very very real. People act like you can put that poo poo off in perpetuity.

I'm with you; I get really tired of people saying "the cap is fake" when we see teams having to deal with the results of kicking the can down the road: They wind up in hell for a year or two. Like, no matter what happens with Rodgers, the Packers are going to be in serious pain for a while.

I mean, poo poo, that's why Ryan Poles had to tear down the Bears all the way to the studs: They were buried in awful contracts and needed to shed salary to get some spending room.

It's just unfortunate that their spending room and their #1 overall pick happened to coincide with a dogshit wide receiver market in free agency, and massive holes on the offensive and defensive lines, weakside linebacker, secondary and if they don't re-sign Montgomery, running back.

Edit: This is why I keep saying they can't fix this in one offseason. It'll take two at the minimum. There are so, so many holes to be filled. You don't turn a 3-win team around in one offseason unless God Himself steps in and grants you generational players with every single draft pick.

Timby fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 8, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Timby posted:

I'm with you; I get really tired of people saying "the cap is fake" when we see teams having to deal with the results of kicking the can down the road: They wind up in hell for a year or two. Like, no matter what happens with Rodgers, the Packers are going to be in serious pain for a while.

I mean, poo poo, that's why Ryan Poles had to tear down the Bears all the way to the studs: They were buried in awful contracts and needed to shed salary to get some spending room.

It's just unfortunate that their spending room and their #1 overall pick happened to coincide with a dogshit wide receiver market in free agency, and massive holes on the offensive and defensive lines, weakside linebacker, secondary and if they don't re-sign Montgomery, running back.

The Bears didn't have to do that, they chose to. Which is of course always a valid choice probably the best choice. But they could have made moves and done things in a way that didn't have them tear everything down to the studs. That was a decision they made because they thought it was the best way forward.

There is a reason the Bears have so much money they HAVE to spend this year, because they didn't spend poo poo last year as a choice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

The Bears didn't have to do that, they chose to. Which is of course always a valid choice probably the best choice. But they could have made moves and done things in a way that didn't have them tear everything down to the studs. That was a decision they made because they thought it was the best way forward.

There is a reason the Bears have so much money they HAVE to spend this year, because they didn't spend poo poo last year as a choice.

They can carry over money to next year. It's not like the corporate world, where if you have a budget of $2 million but you only spend $1 million, then you only get $1 million the following year.

Deciding you have to spend money means you'll inevitably work yourself into a bad deal. And the free agents at the positions the Bears need are ... less than optimal.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

HootTheOwl posted:

It's very simple: One player doesn't count against the salary cap, and this way we can still see mega super deals and we can still build teams around them.

Just get rid of the cap

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Are the Bears better off if they keep Mack and Roquan? Which other players worth money did they jettison?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nodoze posted:

Just get rid of the cap

The toothpaste is out of the tube. The union allowed the cap to happen, there's no way ownership will ever let the union claw that back (nor do I think the union has the teeth to go to the mattresses on that issue).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Timby posted:

They can carry over money to next year. It's not like the corporate world, where if you have a budget of $2 million but you only spend $1 million, then you only get $1 million the following year.

Deciding you have to spend money means you'll inevitably work yourself into a bad deal. And the free agents at the positions the Bears need are ... less than optimal.

No you are wrong. The Bears legitimately have to spend money per the rules of the CBA.

The CBA has a rule where over a certain span of time you have to spend 90% of salary cap over that span. The Bears are not close and are hitting that time span this year.

The Bears essentially this offseason have to add about ~145million of 2023 cash, to their books. Via FA/Extensions/Draft picks to get to the 240 or so they need to spend as they have around 94 million on their roster now.

They have to spend money this year because they declined to spend like any last year.

You can roll over cap space, and the Bears probably will roll over some, but yeah, they HAVE to spend money this offseason.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 8, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SKULL.GIF posted:

Are the Bears better off if they keep Mack and Roquan? Which other players worth money did they jettison?

Quinn, Hicks

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Bears aren't better off for keeping them, maybe Roquan, but I wouldn't pay a premium price for Roquan, who deserves it of course, for a player that doesn't fit particularly well in a 4-3 vs what he can do in a 3-4.

I get that trade.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah, here it is I found it.

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/12/section/9

quote:

For the four-League Year period covering the 2017–2020 League Years, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such period.
(b)

For each of the following multi-League-Year periods 2021–2023 (three League Years), 2024–2026 (three League Years), and 2027–2030 (four League Years), there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 90% of the Salary Caps for such periods.
(c)

Any shortfall in the Minimum Team Cash Spending at the end of a League Year in which it is applicable (i.e., the 2020, 2023, 2026, or 2030 League Years) shall be paid, on or before the next September 15, by the Team having such shortfall, directly to the players who were on such a Team’s roster at any time during the applicable seasons, pursuant to the reasonable allocation instructions of the NFLPA.
(d)

Nothing contained herein shall preclude a Team from having Cash Spending in excess of the Minimum Team Cash Spending, provided that the Team complies with the accounting rules of the Salary Cap set forth in Article 13.
(e)

If the NFL agrees, or a final judgment or award is entered by the System Arbitrator, that a Team has failed by the end of an applicable League Year to make the payments required to satisfy a Team’s obligations to pay the Minimum Team Cash Spending required by this Agreement, then, in the event the Team fails promptly to comply with such agreement, judgment or award, the NFL shall make such payment on behalf of that Team (such funds to be paid as salary directly to the players on such Team at the direction of and pursuant to the reasonable allocations of the NFLPA).

Yeah Bears have to make it rain this offseason lol.

The Bears did not HAVE to tear the team down, it may turn out to be the best course of action. But they were not anywhere near a terrible spot financially.

Also, yeah the Salary cap is mostly bullshit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Great. So the Bears have to spend money when the free agent market is dogshit and they need starters on both sides of the line, wide receiver, weakside linebacker, secondary and possibly running back.

Lovely.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 8, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
With Lamar, I'm less concerned about the money than the fact that he hasn't finished the season two years in a row.

If the Lions made a move for him and acquired him, I wouldn't complain about it but I think I'd rather draft somebody and develop them behind Goff. Which is obviously a loving lotto ticket compared to Lamar Jackson, but I dunno. I kinda trust this team to find players and develop them, too? :shrug:

It's very big and messy and complicated and I feel like I'm working myself into a tizzy for nothing and when draft day comes, the Lions will just take two defensive players with 6 and 18 and then they'll grab a QB prospect in like the third round and everybody will be like "yeah, duh."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MJeff posted:

With Lamar, I'm less concerned about the money than the fact that he hasn't finished the season two years in a row.
Is Detroit considered a bigger or smaller market than Baltimore?

I could see them getting hurt and a non-call roughing getting rules changed in favor of Running QB longevity.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

HootTheOwl posted:

Which is the bigger cultural touchstone, gently caress YOU BALTIMORE or WE'RE NOT DETROIT!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HootTheOwl posted:

Detroit's market is a little under 2 million larger than Baltimore's, at least radio-wise. Population-wise, Detroit proper is about 60,000 larger than Baltimore City. (That's not to say anything of Baltimore County, as Baltimore is an independent city.)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I could see them getting hurt and a non-call roughing getting rules changed in favor of Running QB longevity.

Bigger

https://ustvdb.com/markets/baltimore/

quote:

The Baltimore, MD designated market area (DMA) is a U.S. television market serving the people in the state of Maryland. It is the 28th biggest media market by size in the United States, with a total population of 1,149,480 TV households as of the 2022-2023 television season.
https://ustvdb.com/markets/detroit/

quote:

The Detroit, MI designated market area (DMA) is a U.S. television market serving the people in the state of Michigan. It is the 14th biggest media market by size in the United States, with a total population of 1,937,250 TV households as of the 2022-2023 television season, up +1% from that of the 2021-2022 season.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

No, there is an actual spending floor. They HAVE to spend a certain amount of money over a three year span or there will be financial penalties. Considering how little they spent last year, they have to do something this year. If they don't spend enough this year, they will have to go hard in free agency next year.

EDIT: Beaten badly

Sataere fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 8, 2023

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Detheros posted:

Aaron Rodgers retire/go the gently caress away bitch

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

No, there is an actual spending floor. They HAVE to spend a certain amount of money over a three year span or there will be financial penalties. Considering how little they spent last year, they have to do something this year. If they don't spend enough this year, they will have to go hard in free agency next year.

Next year's free agent market looks a lot better than this one's.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Timby posted:

Great. So the Bears have to spend money when the free agent market is dogshit and they need starters on both sides of the line, wide receiver, weakside linebacker, secondary and possibly running back.

Lovely.

This is actually a pretty good free agency for Defensive lineman,

Hargrave is available, Dre'mont Jones, Marcus Davenport, Clowney, Omenihu, Clark

There's no like back the brinks truck up to Julius peppers house at 12:01, but there are a number of plus defensive lineman available.

As well as some talented Linebackers, David Long, Okereke, TJ Edwards, Tremaine Edmunds from the Bills.

There are also a bunch of solid options at specifically the positions on the offensive line that the Bears need.

The Bears mostly just need to sign players to get to a basic baseline level of competence on the defensive and offensive front. the elite players are going to come through the draft, or maybe trading capital they get for the first pick.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

the elite players are going to come through the draft

This is what sounds wild to me. How many players are elite straight out of the draft? It's not exactly common. This is why it's going to be a two-year rebuild for the Bears, at minimum.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

a ton?

Maybe not historically for the Bears, but uh, plenty of early top 100 picks end up starting and having a massive impact right away.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Timby posted:

Lovely.

Just do a bunch of one-year contracts while you wait for next year's free agents.

Dexo posted:

the elite players are going to come through the draft

This year's class doesn't seem that great outside DE and TE (and Bijan Robinson). Fortunately the Packers need both positions!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Just do a bunch of one-year contracts while you wait for next year's free agents.

This year's class doesn't seem that great outside DE and TE (and Bijan Robinson). Fortunately the Packers need both positions!

This running back class overall is one of the best in years. There is a ton of top level depth through the first three rounds.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bird in a Blender posted:

The saints somehow just gave David Carr a ton of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

mastershakeman posted:

The saints somehow just gave David Carr a ton of money

Yea by giving him a $60 million signing bonus, which is kind of absurd. Never understood how bonuses apparently don’t count against the cap.