Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

surf rock posted:

You cannot possibly convince me that these team owners aren't colluding to ensure that Watson's contract ends up a one-off and that Jackson gets hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
according to Jackson he doesn't even want a Watson deal

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
gently caress gently caress gently caress the guy connected with my nfl buddy and his 1st round pick son, that I trust a lot, told me it’s either Atlanta or Baltimore

Don’t like

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

My uncle who works at Nintendo says Jackson is gonna be the new head of Nintendo of America

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Maybe these teams are all going after the bigger faster cheaper version of Lamar....... Anthony Richardson.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

wandler20 posted:

Maybe these teams are all going after the bigger faster cheaper version of Lamar....... Anthony Richardson.

Lamar Jackson's Lamar Jackson. But Anthony Richardson could be anything! He could even be Lamar Jackson!

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

surf rock posted:

You cannot possibly convince me that these team owners aren't colluding to ensure that Watson's contract ends up a one-off and that Jackson gets hosed.

I think that both the owners are colluding and there's zero reason to be in on Jackson right now, especially if you're Atlanta. You're not drafting a QB so Lamar doesn't impact what you do in the draft, and if you have until July you can wait out one of two scenarios (assuming I understand how all this works):

1) The situation with Lamar gets so toxic the Ravens let him go for less than two firsts
2) Even if you do wind up giving the two firsts, you get to use the #8 this year and are giving away two firsts in years you're going to be better because of Jackson.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shrimpy posted:

1) The situation with Lamar gets so toxic the Ravens let him go for less than two firsts

There’s no way this happens. Two firsts is the floor for Lamar.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

surf rock posted:

Why would anyone try to? It's obvious lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shrimpy posted:

I think that both the owners are colluding and there's zero reason to be in on Jackson right now, especially if you're Atlanta. You're not drafting a QB so Lamar doesn't impact what you do in the draft, and if you have until July you can wait out one of two scenarios (assuming I understand how all this works):

2) Even if you do wind up giving the two firsts, you get to use the #8 this year and are giving away two firsts in years you're going to be better because of Jackson.

agreeing that this makes sense, it's still a weird move to text "we don't want him" to your mouthpieces within an hour of the tag hitting the news. if you're just waiting in the cut to move after the draft, why announce this to the public?

it could be an odd choice if one team did it themselves, but it's in conjunction with four other releases distributed similarly quickly. it's just so blatant

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
he's gonna end up playing on the tag

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think so too. an ideal scenario for him is Stafford retires in January and McVay/Kroenke get itchy.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Why hasn't Matt Ryan been cut yet? Indy won't keep them, will they? Maybe he's the missing piece the Jets are looking for!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Playing with Lamar on the tag feels so dumb though. You're either committed to building the offense around him or you're not.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

wandler20 posted:

Why hasn't Matt Ryan been cut yet? Indy won't keep them, will they? Maybe he's the missing piece the Jets are looking for!

He'll be cut soon, Indy saves like $18mil of cap space by dumping him. Coaching staff just got finalized and announced today so they'll probably get around to it before long

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

do they save much money making him a post-June 1 cut?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They might also be waiting to see if he's going to retire which would save them some dead money. They need to cut him before March 17 otherwise he gets a $10 million bonus and they're on the hook for that.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I don't see any way he decides to retire, unfortunately. At least not until after he gets his guaranteed money.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

surf rock posted:

Watson’s contract should be a one-off because the Browns are dumb as poo poo.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

mcmagic posted:

he's gonna end up playing on the tag

Given how weird and acrimonious the dynamic between him and Baltimore seems to be, I really wouldn't be shocked if he held out and sat a year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Black Lighter posted:

Given how weird and acrimonious the dynamic between him and Baltimore seems to be, I really wouldn't be shocked if he held out and sat a year

He isn't going to walk away from 35 million. No one does that.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

mcmagic posted:

He isn't going to walk away from 35 million. No one does that.

I dunno, Lamar might be weird and stubborn enough to do it. Plus if no one else is going to talk to him, threatening to hold out is his only real leverage against the Ravens.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
How long does he have to sign his deal? Before or after draft?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

How long does he have to sign his deal? Before or after draft?

quote:

September: Start of regular season

If a potential holdout lasts into the regular season, Jackson would forfeit game checks for as long as he refuses to sign the Ravens’ tender. His cap hit would also fall with every game he misses.

Mid-November: Deadline to sign tender or offer sheet

Under the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement, Jackson has to sign his tender by the Tuesday following the 10th week of the regular season. If he doesn’t, he’d be barred from playing in the 2023 season. That Tuesday also marks the deadline for Jackson to sign an offer sheet from another team. The Ravens would then have another five days to match.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So if he waits to sign, a team who doesn’t have a 2023 pick but instead a 2024 first, could technically then trade for him?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Amy Pole Her posted:

So if he waits to sign, a team who doesn’t have a 2023 pick but instead a 2024 first, could technically then trade for him?

What team could that be?????

pretty sure the answer is yes

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

yes

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Professor Funk posted:

What team could that be?????

pretty sure the answer is yes

Im just askin questions :ninja:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Jones details:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Man I wish I could play QB badly.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Jones details:

pfft $46m

$185m less in guarantees than Watson

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Good contract. Escalates at a position entering his prime, and he's set up for a big ol resign when he's 30. Filthy how much money these guys make when you stop and think about it

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Amy Pole Her posted:

Good contract. Escalates at a position entering his prime, and he's set up for a big ol resign when he's 30. Filthy how much money these guys make when you stop and think about it

Just imagine if we were still in the Sam Bradford days.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

I’ve never heard of McGinn’s reputation being questioned. Silverstein said as much as well though.

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1626964781407010817?s=20

https://twitter.com/BoyGreen25/status/1633568030465589248

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/diannaespn/status/1633808745737203712?s=46&t=-7kaOSUTbPR5g_ulKZgqDw

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rodgers is gonna milk this for all it's worth, just loving go already, I don't know of any Packers fans that want him to stay at this point.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Rodgers is gonna milk this for all it's worth, just loving go already, I don't know of any Packers fans that want him to stay at this point.
That's kind of crazy to me. I get that this is very likely a mutually beneficial thing for everyone involved because of future cap considerations but the idea of a fanbase just wanting to get rid of their top 5 all-time instant HoF QB for pennies on the dollar because of "drama" is very odd.

Maybe Jordan Love is pretty good. Maybe he wont be. Maybe 35 years of elite QB play has broke-brained people into thinking it'll always be that way.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think it's more to do with the recent failures than drama, he just can't get over the hump of the NFC championship anymore, so time to move in a different direction.

That's how I look at it at least. the drama is just the lovely icing on the cake.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I wonder what else could be an incentive to move on from the QB who's gonna turn 40 during the upcoming season

The337th fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You can't forget the bullshit we went through with Favre either, none of the Packer fans want that again, just loving go and be done with it so we can move on.