Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Have you tried paying the bill on time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Have you tried paying the bill on time

He did, according to his timeline, on 2/7. He paid the entire amount shown as due. Unless you're suggesting that if you had one late bill that means you should have to keep paying fees forever, which seems to be the goal here. Just punish poor people, over and over.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Write them a cheque with a meticulously traced goatse in the reason field.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 8, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

He did, according to his timeline, on 2/7. He paid the entire amount shown as due. Unless you're suggesting that if you had one late bill that means you should have to keep paying fees forever, which seems to be the goal here. Just punish poor people, over and over.

3/7 was the “we’re going to turn your service off today” date so I’m guessing 2/7 was also which makes it seem likely that when he paid his bill on 2/7 he was already very late, plus he also mentions a late fee from two months prior.

It seems likely they’re absolutely being shitbags about clarifying the late fees but it also seems likely he’s avoiding getting cutoff every month by literally hours. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the timeline though.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Grip it and rip it posted:

My legal opinion is that your coworker is a dipshit and a moron and they shouldn't br allowed to vote.

My personal opinion agrees with your first two points, but I believe that every American citizen over the age of 18 should be allowed to vote regardless of their intelligence or criminal history. I think that taking away somebody's right to vote based on their criminal history is punitive and the punishment does not fit the crime.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

3/7 was the “we’re going to turn your service off today” date so I’m guessing 2/7 was also which makes it seem likely that when he paid his bill on 2/7 he was already very late, plus he also mentions a late fee from two months prior.

It seems likely they’re absolutely being shitbags about clarifying the late fees but it also seems likely he’s avoiding getting cutoff every month by literally hours. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the timeline though.

Just for clarification, I am paying the amount on my statement 100% in full each month by the "due date" (the 20th, usually within a few days of getting the bill). The issue is there is a $45 fee that is NOT on the bill that they are treating as if it were on the bill and using that as the "prior amount" to continue to slap more $45 late fees on the bill without ever really explaining why it's still there. Yes, my fault for not really paying attention and just paying the bill, but it finally got 'cut off' because I wasn't paying by the cutoff date.

I was late in October (just forgot, it happens), and since then I have paid the statement amount in full every month within a few days of the statement getting to me, and I have had a continuous $45 'late fee' every month since then, without that ever explicitly being shown on the bill.

It's just been incredibly frustrating since I found out, and their basic argument is "read the bill better".

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Here that's just regular possession. You can argue that you didn't have dominion or control over it, but good luck with that.

The natural defence for us would be lack of criminal intent, but that's not the same factor for accessory so the courts accepted that, but not outright possession.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You could've been administered the drugs unknowingly or without consent!

And this would be a defence, so long as you did not imbibe the drugs negligently. We do have caselaw for mistaken identity of beverages and pills, mostly mislabelled prescription meds. Probably slightly harder with a needle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gothmog1065 posted:

Just for clarification, I am paying the amount on my statement 100% in full each month by the "due date" (the 20th, usually within a few days of getting the bill). The issue is there is a $45 fee that is NOT on the bill that they are treating as if it were on the bill and using that as the "prior amount" to continue to slap more $45 late fees on the bill without ever really explaining why it's still there. Yes, my fault for not really paying attention and just paying the bill, but it finally got 'cut off' because I wasn't paying by the cutoff date.

I was late in October (just forgot, it happens), and since then I have paid the statement amount in full every month within a few days of the statement getting to me, and I have had a continuous $45 'late fee' every month since then, without that ever explicitly being shown on the bill.

It's just been incredibly frustrating since I found out, and their basic argument is "read the bill better".

Yeah sorry my mistake I thought you were late paying the whole bill not just the late fee that they’ve hidden

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gothmog1065 posted:

Just for clarification, I am paying the amount on my statement 100% in full each month by the "due date" (the 20th, usually within a few days of getting the bill).

These are 2 different statements.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

These are 2 different statements.

They aren't. The new late fees are hidden every month. He gets a bill he pays what it says on the bill and then on the next bill there's a charge that shows up as a previous balance that was never a number on a previous bill.

You may have state utility regulations that cover this I don't know about any federal ones.
Also consider that all of your neighbors are probably at least as dumb as you on average and are having the same issue and this is the kind of thing that can springboard a career in local politics.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

They aren't. The new late fees are hidden every month. He gets a bill he pays what it says on the bill and then on the next bill there's a charge that shows up as a previous balance that was never a number on a previous bill.

You may have state utility regulations that cover this I don't know about any federal ones.
Also consider that all of your neighbors are probably at least as dumb as you on average and are having the same issue and this is the kind of thing that can springboard a career in local politics.

The second part is what is making this worse IMO. I am financially able to handle it (though $45 a month for 5 months is still something I should not have paid, but I digress). How many other people who cannot afford this fee are getting slammed with it every month because it's not being explicitly shown, and who don't' understand the bill, who gets the jargon-filled garbage explanation by the secretary and manager that confuses them, so they just give up?

Regardless, this doesn't seem to be a legal issue at this point and is more of a social issue.

As for regulations, the NCUC (NC Utilities Commission) doesn't regulate municipalities, and I haven't read all of the laws surrounding the creation of Authorities, which is why I need a lawyer, but most will probably just laugh me out of their office (some already have when I simply said I have questions and would be willing to pay to have those answered).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Gothmog1065 posted:

1/1 - Get bill. Assume I pay all but $45 on the bill for whatever reason.

lmao

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
[One Billion Words]

So in conclusion, I didn't pay my bill and bad things happened!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Harold Fjord posted:

They aren't.

If he paid it in full every month he wouldn't have gotten the late fee. He was late. It may or may not be noted on his bill, but none of us have seen the bill. If not the system sounds hosed up. But he wasn't paying in full on time every month.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Weird amount of people in the legal thread really interested in defending predatory billing practices.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
He missed 1 bill and incurred 6 bills worth of late fees due to their predatory practices but sure Just World or whatever

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Lol at complaining that a bunch of terminally online (defense) lawyers don’t give your $25 billing dispute enough due deference

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

don't be late even once on a bill, or you deserve to be repeatedly billed late fees even after you pay your entire balance and never be told why or have the most basic information like "how much we think you owe us today" shown on your bill, this is definitely your fault and not the fault of the bullshit utility

telling someone being dicked around by their utility company that it's all their fault is gross, even if it's over 5 months of $45 fees which is $225, not $25, maybe get your paralegal to proofread your posts

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I know our default settings are being assholes but I just try not to be an rear end in a top hat.

That bill sucks op I hope you find some help. Did you try simply calling those NCUC folks and asking if they can point you in the right direction?

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 9, 2023

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Leperflesh posted:

don't be late even once on a bill, or you deserve to be repeatedly billed late fees even after you pay your entire balance and never be told why or have the most basic information like "how much we think you owe us today" shown on your bill, this is definitely your fault and not the fault of the bullshit utility

telling someone being dicked around by their utility company that it's all their fault is gross, even if it's over 5 months of $45 fees which is $225, not $25, maybe get your paralegal to proofread your posts

I never commented on the actual dispute so I dunno why you’re all worked up against me

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

EwokEntourage posted:

I never commented on the actual dispute so I dunno why you’re all worked up against me

All lawyers look the same to me.

Dead inside.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Stop looking inside lawyers.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Freudian posted:

Stop looking inside lawyers.

how else does one get a golden ticket

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The goat man is a lawyer

He posts on this very forum

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

lol his bill said, "Pay $125 total" so he paid $95 total then was like "Whhhaaaaa??!?!" when they cut off his poo poo and wrote 875 words about it

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

If you think about, all the non lawyers in this thread that give legal advice, based on half knowledge and assumptions (which are usually wrong), are basically paralegals

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Weird amount of people in the legal thread really interested in defending predatory billing practices.

Boy, yeah, that is weird. What's up with that.

.1 hours, client communications. I accept Venmo and Paypal by the way.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

Boy, yeah, that is weird. What's up with that.

.1 hours, client communications. I accept Venmo and Paypal by the way.

Lmao

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Think of the late fees as the cost of an important lesson about dealing with billing insittutions that have leverage over your comfort and daily routine.

Or perhaps a call to arms to get your local government to reform? or not. I agree with you that what happened is bullshit but that kind of injustice is such an absolute routine in the United States that I'm surpriesd you hadn't run into it before now.

To be clear - I sympathize with your situation but the reality is that lovely practices like that are the norm, not the exception.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

EwokEntourage posted:

If you think about, all the non lawyers in this thread that give legal advice, based on half knowledge and assumptions (which are usually wrong), are basically paralegals

Excuse me! Expert witness here, I need your address so I can send the billable time for making this post.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Legal advice- don't ask lawyers for customer service advice

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

blarzgh posted:

lol his bill said, "Pay $125 total" so he paid $95 total then was like "Whhhaaaaa??!?!" when they cut off his poo poo and wrote 875 words about it

that's not what happened

Gothmog1065 posted:

Lawyers up in here making GBS threads on someone for being late, once, and then subsequently paying the amount stated as due repeatedly and being repeatedly hit with a $45 fee for an "amount due", supposedly, that isn't shown on the bill.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He did say that the bill had a $45 prior balance. Otherwise the bill would be $76 instead of $121.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
To be fair these (public defender lawyer goons saying LOL you didnt pay your bill) are the people who know best that there's no recourse because the systems are designed to f*** you not help you

The law considers this amount of money basically meaningless in terms of you trying to recover it but obviously it's make or break for a lot of poor people who need to keep their water on

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 9, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Find the director of billing at the company on linkedin, use the white pages to find his home phone number, call him at dinner to complain. Bureaucracies exist to keep problems away from decision makers, for a piddly sum like this he will probably cancel it just to avoid another call.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

He did say that the bill had a $45 prior balance. Otherwise the bill would be $76 instead of $121.

Yeah it had an invisible $45 prior balance and a visible $45 extra, second fee, so every time he paid the full $121 he was apparently not also paying the invisible fee that he owed but wasn't being shown. Hence another late fee on the next bill, etc. A floating phantom unshown fee.

It is absolute bullshit and I'm handing out lots of shade to posters blaming the guy for being late on a payment once and then doing his best to pay up over and over and getting hosed over repeatedly by a utility that is very very obviously using this poo poo to scam many of its customers out of money. As if this was the customer's fault for being late a single time, they deserved it.

And then on top of that, pulling $25 from nowhere in order to I guess minimize the actual size of the ripoff.

I'll quit harping on it now because it's a derail but goddamn, lawyers, the stereotype that you have no soul is supposed to be an unfair smear on the profession, not a badge of honor to lean into.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

the lawyers know that the people who lie to you the most are your clients

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tunicate posted:

Find the director of billing at the company on linkedin, use the white pages to find his home phone number, call him at dinner to complain. Bureaucracies exist to keep problems away from decision makers, for a piddly sum like this he will probably cancel it just to avoid another call.

Sounds like a great way to catch a harassment charge

The simplest way to deal with this is overpay your next bill by $45. Or $46 if you want to give them a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
How many times can I make them mail me a check for 21 cents