Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AotC
May 16, 2010
Someone over on the LE forums put together a timeline for trade related dev updates. It reads like the devs were super pumped about trading (it was even promised in their kickstarter page) until they realized just how hard it would be to implement. Everything from the backend programming systems to how to deal with RMT was covered in dev updates over the years. I guess they just gave up on it completely.

At least LE offered people refunds if they didn't like the change. Shame they only mentioned it half way down the announcement thread in a random reply.... and it only applies if you bought it via their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakonis
Dec 18, 2011

"That will go down among my worst boners."
EHG has revisited trading and it seems like a interesting spin on the whole trade economy, stands to be seen whether it'll be any good though.
https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/trade-development-update-introducing-merchants-guild-and-circle-of-fortune-factions/51994

Drakonis fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 21, 2023

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Huh. I... would not have thought of that solution, and I actually love it.

edit: little weird how they want gold to be the main currency for the Merchant's Guild, but it's not a huge deal - sell your rare item on the market and then use the cash to buy the item you really wanted. I'm sure there were people who really loved wheeling and dealing to beat the market price, but that's often a zero-sum game in the long run.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 21, 2023

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
SSF with built in boosted MF is basically what I've always wanted in an arpg to make the league interesting for a longer time.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I've been playing this for quite awhile and haven't felt much need or desire to trade, the crafting being as robust as it is. but this is a really unique and elegant solution.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Those seem like really solid ideas, at least on paper. I’m also in the SSF camp so I’d gladly take the boosted/more determinative drops option. Cool stuff.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I like the idea of SSF more, hate Crafting in POE but really like it in this game.

Resonance is nice too :unsmith:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I check in on this game every 6 months and notice 0.9 about to be released in March. Maybe by 2024 we'll get 1.0.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
nice, Circle of Fortune here I come

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Resonance is such a clever idea, this post made me a lot more excited about the MP patch than I previously was.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah I was kinda bummed about the last trade info that came out, definitely a bit more interested now. Rather clever idea I think.

Did they ever overhaul combat? Or does it feel not impactful? Not sure the word to use, mushy comes to mind?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
This is pretty great. I love seeing an arpg innovate instead of "well d2 did it".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Credit where credit is due - that's a cool system.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Gonna be really cool if they include a crafting faction, too. Neat system because it's expandable and each thing is a cool optional playstyle.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I'm excited to see where this trading system goes. Having vendors available offline sounds so much better than having to rely on player to player trading, and I can still play group found with my friends.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Gonna be really cool if they include a crafting faction, too. Neat system because it's expandable and each thing is a cool optional playstyle.

I imagine crafting will just fall under CoF

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^That was my thought too, but I guess we have no clue how many Ranks you'll get because none of the Rank bonuses they spoiled for COF seem especially Crafty, but rather "Good chance of finding good drops"

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I think they genuinely could break crafting out into its own faction if they wanted, which is one of the cool parts of the new system.

Another is bringing back the Bazaar, because asynchronous sales/purchases are legit a must have for me.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
The crafting system is already super smooth and is directly tied to getting full value from your items. It wouldn't make much sense to separate it from either of the factions. Crafting materials are going to be shared across factions so it also doesn't make sense to give one side better access to crafting drops.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

that's correct. but broadly speaking the self-found faction is definitely meant to improve crafting. finding more exalted items and unique with legendary potential is a a huge leg up on creating really nice gear

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
Glad they finally got the multiplayer rolling for this game! This new version seems to run better on the Steam Deck as well, though it did lock up for me at some point. I didn't spend much time playing with the settings FWIW. On PC, the 2nd and 3rd (or maybe 4th?) bosses were bugged for me; the former had no body graphic, so I was fighting a ghost with animations, and the latter got stuck part way through the fight and proceeded to stand in place and do nothing while I killed it. I've already gotten multiple chars to 90+ so I'll probably put another hour in messing around then wait until the full multiplayer release on the 9th to go hard!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A bit bummed that MP is only now coming for this; all of my Diablo-pilled friends who I at one point imagined playing this game with are in full blown "Why play any game but Diablo" mode by now.

Edit: I mean, better late than never, but still. :(

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 5, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The D4 open beta isn't until the end of the month. Unless they pre-paid for early access to the beta, in which case this multiplayer patch still drops before the D4 one.

Maybe they'll bail on this for the weekend(s) D4 is accessible, but game's gonna be hella mediocre once it officially launches so I'm sure they'll come back to LE afterwards :D

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Lol imagine playing a Blizzard game in tyool 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m doing it. I’m imagining it!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/the-convergence-update-beta-0-9-patch-notes/51975

That's a lotta patching

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Huh, I thought they were adding additional content with this patch too.

Still really beefy but I thought the missing specializations were going to be added at the very least

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, I was really hoping we'd finally get the last Subclasses. Or even at least 1 of 'em.

This amused me from the Ailment section:

quote:

“Increased Effect” stats for damaging ailments have been swapped for “Penetration with” stats. For example, 8% increased Ignite Effect is now +8% Fire Penetration with Ignite.

Yea, that new wording makes sense!

quote:

Sources of increased Poison Effect have been replaced by Poison Penetration with Poison

:downs:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I bought this last week on a whim and have really been liking it. The itemization while leveling does feel a little wonky sometimes but the skill system is great and I’ve already played a number of different builds. The final boss of the campaign curbstomped me the first time I got there but apparently that’s a known thing and most people switch to running monoliths for a while to level and gear up more before going back and finishing that. Some of the skill changes coming with tomorrows update will be great, like the node that teleports you and your minions to a location when you summon a skeleton mage there.

I’ve done a few monoliths but haven’t really pushed that yet and was planning on waiting to do that with a new multiplayer character tomorrow. Overall it feels like a complete game but since it’s been in beta for like 7 years or whatever I guess that’s not surprising.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can't imagine how rough it must've been at the initial launch. I think it's in quite a good state as is, excited to see how much better it feels with a lot of the general "under the hood" systems changes tomorrow. Such as having to actually click on a Waypoint rather than dragging your mouse over it while walking :v:

I can't decide between Paladin or Forge Guard for tomorrow :thunk:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I kind of want to try a cold or physical beastmaster?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Deki posted:

Huh, I thought they were adding additional content with this patch too.

Still really beefy but I thought the missing specializations were going to be added at the very least

Nope those aren't coming until closer to 1.0, IIRC

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I'm the Jon Snow of Last Epoch and know nothing. I think I may dip my toes into the game this weekend.

What classes/builds/skills are considered to be "meta" and which ones does the community currently considered to be weak?

Any significant tips or useful info not in the OP that you think a complete newbie would need to know? Any possible major pitfalls to avoid for someone looking to just dive in and mostly YOLO it?

Also, how often does Last Epoch go on sale on Steam?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've played almost all of the Subclasses to at least 50 and none felt bad, although some were less my taste than others. Seems like my 2 friends and I all got different Subclasses to 70-80+.

Like the biggest thing -- and I think the game's tutorial overlays even draw attention to this -- is that each & every skill will have a list of "Tags" at the bottom which explicitly tell you what stats that skill scales with. Obviously, it's best to focus in 1 general direction; <some Element>, Physical, Minion focus etc. etc. etc.

IMO just follow the Rule of Cool and you probably won't be disappointed. If you do hate a thing, Respeccing comes with only a minor inconvenience of needing to re-level your new "Specialized Skills" to unlock some skill tree points for that skill. This game strikes the perfect balance between PoE complexity but D3 approachability / willingness to forgiving

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
The biggest adjustment I had to make coming from similar games (primarily Path of Exile) is that crafting your items is very powerful, easy, and accessible even early on. You'll be rolling the the basic resistance and damage-type crafting items, so don't be afraid to use them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea to add to that, you don't even need to go to a crafting bench or anything. Anywhere in the game you can pull up the UI and you can start slamming stats around.

You'll find "Shards of X" where X is some stat an item can roll, which can be spent to gift that attribute to an item / increase the tier of the current roll. The game sprinkles (but not showers) you with them so you can kinda always keep your gear current. And then as you get higher level & replace gear more slowly you start to amass those Shards, which makes it easier to level alts as you can easily craft really good gear for them.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
For starting fresh on the patch, the path of least resistance masteries are probably Paladin, Lich, Druid, and Beastmaster. Just because they get a lot of baseline defense from skills and passives. Shaman, Spellblade, and Sorceror are the masteries that have gone the longest without receiving updates and are technically the weakest. Spellblade and Sorceror are perfectly fine damage-wise but have fairly narrow paths to building survivability. Most Shaman builds play better as a Druid and its only exclusive skill, Storm Totem, has been plagued by bugs for a long time so it's the most maligned mastery. But it's still okay-ish and Storm Totem is getting some substantial buffs and fixes with the patch.

General tips:

Don't respec your main DPS skill while leveling. You can use the additional slots you unlock while leveling to experiment with skills on the side, but taking points out of your bread and butter damaging skill can be crippling. When switching over to a new DPS skill you typically want to spec into it for a little while and let it catch up in levels before fully committing to it. It becomes very easy to re-spec later in the game.

Press G in game to open the game guide. You can search for terms or browse categories and get very reliably good info about mechanics. https://www.lastepochtools.com/guide/ is a website version of the in-game guide.

You don't have to do the whole campaign. If you open the map and look in the bottom left corner you'll see how many passive points and idol slot rewards you've unlocked by doing quests. Once you have 15/15 passive points and 8/8 idol slot rewards you're good and can skip to running monoliths, which are accessed by a portal in the End of Time. If you do all side quests when they pop up during the campaign, you will naturally cap out on rewards after finishing the icy tundra area when you receive Heorot's Blessing, which I think is Act 6 or 7. Then when you feel like it, you can run the Temporal Sanctum dungeon and when you leave you'll exit into act 9, where you can kill Majasa for a not very important +1 to all attributes bonus.

Rushing straight to empowered monoliths is a good idea. The most direct path requires you to pick the higher level monolith unlock options when you're given a choice during the timeline quests. This includes challenging Liath to a fight at the end of the second quest in the Ending the Storm timeline. Clearing monoliths that are +15 levels above you is normal. Don't try to push corruption in normal monoliths, it caps at 50 and very much isn't worth it.

Every kind of progression is faster in empowered monoliths, especially once you've pushed corruption. For example, you're eventually able to run a Tomes of Experience echo, reset all your skills in the waiting room at the end, then pick up the tomes and instantly re-level all of your abilities to level 20 without having to fight anything. You will also gain stability faster and can trigger boss fights every 7 or 8 echoes instead of 15+. You can get up to 5 blessing choices after killing a boss instead of the base 3. You also get more exalted and unique echo rewards on top of higher loot quality from killing stuff. Sticking to one character and hitting 300 or so corruption will fill up your stash with a lot of good poo poo and give you a lot more options for new builds.

You don't need build guides to get started. Focus on doing one type of damage very well. Both crit and ailments are strong but you want to only focus on one. More multipliers are very good. You can search for "more" in the skill window and find good nodes to spec into. Attack speed and cast speed are very good. Multiple hits are very good.

Mana regen isn't free. Most builds will need to take skill nodes that improve mana economy and/or run mana generating utility skills and/or invest into some mana regen on gear.

You can run multiple minion types on necro if they have synergy but you want to make sure at least one of the minions is being scaled very well. Skeleton mages and regular skeletons can be good together, especially with Lich's Scorn. Sacrifice can make running skeletons, wraiths, and/or zombies together really good. Bone Golem(s) can help keep other minions alive by generating threat and help keep you alive when specced into Hunger. Always use Dread Shade on necro, it adds a massive amount of damage.

Beastmaster companions will almost always work best if you commit to one type. Wolves are very good if you want a big pack of companions and can be upgraded into a bigger pack of squirrels with a late game chase item, Herald of the Scurry.

Armour Shred (from weapon, amulet, and glove suffixes as well as passives/skills) and Resistance Shred (mostly from monolith blessings) are very important for scaling hit damage.

Slow (from weapon suffix, passives, or skills), Chill (weapon suffix, skills, or passives), and Frailty (amulet suffix, relic suffix) are really good ailments that improve survivability for all builds. They cap at low stacks so often you can get away with sealing a level 1 or level 2 affix to get their full value.

Don't get baited into running low life using Exsanguinous or Last Steps of the Living. They're old uniques that need updates to become competitive again.

This is the main site for builds: https://www.lastepochtools.com/builds/. Most builds but from 8.0 or later will still work in 0.9 with some minor tweaks and updating. A few will be non-functional due to major skill changes. Poison is getting nerfed kind of hard, so I'd be leery about committing to an old poison build right away.

Maxroll should also be launching a Last Epoch section very soon and they've hired good build makers from the community.

A few Youtube channels for good video/build makers: PerrythePig, McFluffin, Dr3adful, Amarathy, Trikster,
Lizard IRL(high end arena pushing guy), Terek(leveling and speedrun stuff)

I'd avoid builds from the Action RPG channel, they can be ok for leveling but aren't optimized well for later stages of the game.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

gnoma posted:

Super helpful info!

Sab669 posted:

Helpful info.

Noper Q posted:

Helpful info.

Thanks for the advice. I truly appreciate it. If anyone has more tips, I'd like to know.

Knowing nothing about mechanics, items, etc. I threw together this skill/passive build, which looks fun: https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/WQJWeDaB

I always liked playing a sorcerer in D3, so I'm thinking I'll dig it. Will it work...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3abPnEEGE

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 9, 2023

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I like boardman21's builds when I checked them out a while ago. He has written guides, which I really appreciate.

Also loot filters: someone set up some generic loot filters for each class, already updated for 0.9. You can import the xml files and just tweak them as you go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This whirling around like a buzzsaw build - https://www.lastepochtools.com/build-guides/the-blender-2-0 - got me the highest level I've ever gotten in the game and mulched through empowered stuff pretty well, although as the corruption was getting higher I was starting to run into some difficulty as my gear wasn't awesome.

Downside is that there really isn't much to do, it's super simple.. just whirl around and mulch stuff, and cast one skill at the beginning of each fight basically. At the time this was exactly what I was looking for as I had some severe carpal tunnel and by assigning the main skill to right click and the other skill to thumb button, I could play completely with just the mouse.

If you want technical and skill-active builds, this isn't for you.