Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Your blood sugar varies throughout the day naturally, and spikes after eating. It is one thing to do fingerstick checks at a wellness fair or something, but really glucose readings should be done while fasting for at least a couple hours. Generally speaking, you should probably have blood drawn first thing in the morning before you eat to ensure the most accurate results. Hemoglobin A1C however is a measure of your blood's glucose level for the past 3 months. You body normally adds chains of glucose to your hemoglobin. We take advantage of this fact by virtue that your body does so at a rate that is directly proportional to the glucose concentration in the blood. So by measuring the A1C, we can determine the average and then we don't have to worry about things like natural and normal spikes in blood sugar because you ate or had a flash of adrenaline because a horn honked and scared you or whatever. Finger sticks are just super easy and cheap to do. Glucose is always reported on blood draws because it may factor into a variety of interpretations of different tests, and may be part of a calculated result (as opposed to a directly measured one).

edit: for those getting finger sticks randomly, adjust your "normal" to 120. Above that and your baseline might be higher than normal, but the best way to be sure is an A1C.

swickles fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When I worked retail I had a manager who’s lunch was almost always two snickers bars and a two liter of Pepsi

T-Square
May 14, 2009

bobjr posted:

When I worked retail I had a manager who’s lunch was almost always two snickers bars and a two liter of Pepsi

I used to work with this crusty old rail thin parts department guy that would just guzzle multiple of those 1 liter bottles of Mountain Dew every day

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FizFashizzle posted:

did you have cream in your coffee that morning?

those numbers are just variance

I fasted. Still not really worried, but I probably could cut down on my sugars.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

swickles posted:

You can probably still chomp said Snickers bar, just cut some carbs elsewhere. Do you exercise at all? The good news is that you really only need to make some minor adjustments now. The bad news is if you don't, then it's gonna get serious and be real hard a few years from now and likely involve meds.

You’re asking the guy who always talks about building thick slabs of striated muscle if he works out? :cmon:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Looking through my MyChart, my A1C was 9.2 in December, when I was diagnosed from being pre-diabetic to actually diabetic.

I had some blood work done a week or two ago, and my A1C came in at 4.8.

Amazing what counting carbs can do for someone.

Hang in there, you can do this.

Diabetes runs strong on my dad's side and this last round of blood work just before Thanksgiving my A1C was right at 6. Been cutting carbs hard since and moving around more, and I've dropped like 25 pounds. So, hoping to get back in the 5s with the blood work next week.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Being conscious of what I ate is probably the easiest way to summarize how I lost like 80-90 pounds. A little mental check on having more pizza or putting the bag of snacks next to you on the couch helps to curb eating and destroy the mental block of "I always eat perfectly and I can't lose weight so it's hopeless."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
All this talk of bloodwork made me go back and actually look at the numbers from my bloodwork last week. My cholesterol is still elevated, but lowered from last year. My glucose was 92, but evidently I didn't get an A1C test so no idea there.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Oh thank god my counter part for the other court is back because lmao it's blowing up in her court today.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
hows everyone elses day

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Not great. Still sick. Zyrtec don’t work for poo poo. I’m headed back to urgent care tonight to see if I need antibiotic for this sinus infection or whatever the gently caress this is.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Oh I am also sick, so is the psychiatrist so we changed the appointment to a video one instead of inperson. I hate teletherapy but it took like 3 months to get this appointment so I'll suck it up for today. The cats have been extra cuddly at least, though I suspect Lena is being super cuddly because Katya's been monopolizing my lap lately and that'd normally her spot.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I have an interview at 3pm for which I am tremendously nervous. Absolutely cannot focus on my actual job.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

hows everyone elses day

I went looking to see what Vegas hotels might cost for Memorial/Double or Nothing weekend since I'm thinking about driving up for it. Ended up getting a really sweet deal through my work discount. So I'm pretty pumped about that.

Work has been slow so I'm taking the afternoon off to clean up my back patio/yard and run some errands.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Amy Pole Her posted:

hows everyone elses day

Fine. This whole week (whole month, really) is chaos but I had a good meeting with my boss earlier. It's a cutback week for my running schedule so I slept in a little this morning, should be nice weather when I go run after work.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

hows everyone elses day

Went to a small farm/petting zoo for my daughter’s first field trip which was a lot of fun. A good little morning.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I have an interview at 3pm for which I am tremendously nervous. Absolutely cannot focus on my actual job.

You’ve got this! Good luck!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Amy Pole Her posted:

hows everyone elses day

Talked a 20 year old out of going into pre-law to "be a public defender or something".

Sometimes I do good things

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Amy Pole Her posted:

hows everyone elses day

It's my birthday today and so far so good. Started it with a performance at my son's school -- he had a rapping part for mother goose songs that he nailed -- and will have family dinner tonight and then I'll get into the pottery studio after. Should be a nice day.

Have def been able to relax since like, week or so ago. We restructured our company and laid off half of our staff last week -- so the start of the week was awful. But then I went to NYC for a birthday to see a concert in Brooklyn for a few days to end the week so it was full of highs and lows.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

happy birthday Armbong!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Getting driven around Quantico for job training, going federal has been good so far.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm tired.

Haven't slept well for like a week and a half and waiting for the funeral has me like two points below my baseline how-am-I-doing-today.

I pretty much missed retro gaming chat but if you have a Wii U or a 3DS and any money in your Nintendo account you have about two weeks to download games for those before the E-shops for them close for good. I'm going to Costco tomorrow and grabbing some gift cards and going nuts.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Quiet Feet posted:

I pretty much missed retro gaming chat but if you have a Wii U or a 3DS and any money in your Nintendo account you have about two weeks to download games for those before the E-shops for them close for good. I'm going to Costco tomorrow and grabbing some gift cards and going nuts.

I'm not 100% sure that you can add funds directly to those systems now, even with gift cards, so maybe buy one and try that first before going ham.

The workaround is that if you have a Switch and your store account on that system is linked to the same email as your WiiU/3DS account, you can add funds to your Switch and then spend them on the other consoles (you might have to do that via their web-based stores though)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I’m at the new KC airport terminal to pick up my MiL. The baggage claim area is nice at least. And the news is here interviewing people coming in for the Big 12 tournament.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Amy Pole Her posted:

hows everyone elses day

Spectacular. Cold beer at a favorable exchange rate and a chill day at the draws.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

Went to a small farm/petting zoo for my daughter’s first field trip which was a lot of fun. A good little morning.

That sounds like an excellent morning

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

C-Euro posted:

I'm not 100% sure that you can add funds directly to those systems now, even with gift cards, so maybe buy one and try that first before going ham.

The workaround is that if you have a Switch and your store account on that system is linked to the same email as your WiiU/3DS account, you can add funds to your Switch and then spend them on the other consoles (you might have to do that via their web-based stores though)

That's basically what I did. It's still nuts to me that your Nintendo.com account and Nintendo network ID are two different things but I guess Big N has to do everything with three extra steps.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Opted out of a bachelor party this past weekend because it was in Vegas, flights were expensive, and we have three trips already planned within the next year (also getting hammered drunk and hungover with mostly strangers for multiple days didn't really sound appealing). Talked to my buddy whose party it was, and everyone who went is now COVID positive.

Also I found out today me walking very fast isn't just a joke between me and one other person who has brought it up - she said multiple people have told her they tried to keep up with me as a game when I'm walking by myself through the plant. I guess there are worse things to be known for.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Quiet Feet posted:

That's basically what I did. It's still nuts to me that your Nintendo.com account and Nintendo network ID are two different things but I guess Big N has to do everything with three extra steps.

Oh OK then go nuts. I have about $20 left on my 3DS and am watching for real sales, otherwise I think I'm going to smoke that on DLC for stuff I already have.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Abugadu posted:

Getting driven around Quantico for job training, going federal has been good so far.

Wait I thought you lived on Guam?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

God dammit, this weekend is daylight saving change. Boo.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Blowjob Overtime posted:

God dammit, this weekend is daylight saving change. Boo.

FINALLY

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Wait I thought you lived on Guam?

I do, they shipped me out here for new atty orientation, and they’re sending me again next month for training.

Racking up FF miles and neck problems

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Amy Pole Her posted:

hows everyone elses day

My replacement washer & gas dryer were delivered today, and that's when I discovered my previous dryer was an electric.

Luckily the place I purchased these items had an electric equivalent, so it took only 90 minutes to get that one delivered instead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

you could always get up an hour early at any point if you felt like it

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

you could always get up an hour early at any point if you felt like it

why don't you just get up an hour later :colbert:

e: i'm not sure tim eworks that way

Silly Burrito posted:

You’ve got this! Good luck!

THANK YOU!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I literally will, lmao

our meetings are generally scheduled to allow our colleague in India to attend, and their clocks aren't changing so our 8ams are gonna move to 9am. E.g., be at the same actual time.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

That's nice actually!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah it is I just resent that my wife has to get up earlier and leave in the dark twice a week, and that we're still doing this loving charade in the name of farmers who don't even want it, in the 21st century, and also a statistically significant number of extra people will die in car accidents next week like this literally kills people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I had high hopes for that bill in Congress that would’ve eliminated standard time.

Alas.