Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I crashed an iMac multiple times trying to play that built in dinosaur egg game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vic posted:

PC gaming being for rich people is so wrong it's not even funny. There are entire subcontinents of hardcore gamers who only ever owned a PC.

Agreed. I was a college student in the 2000s, consoles were uncommon but computer gaming was everywhere. You needed a computer for schoolwork and other forms of digital entertainment anyway so pretty much everyone already had one and it didn't take much to be able to play any number of classics, like Counterstrike and Starcraft. I had a friend who wanted to play Warcraft 3 with us, probably around 2004ish, so we chipped in to buy a used video card for $60 as a birthday present and he was good to go. Some BWM people would buy brand new rigs too, but that wasn't the norm

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

I crashed an iMac multiple times trying to play that built in dinosaur egg game.

Nanosaur. I believe my bondi blue imac was my last mac desktop.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

QuarkJets posted:

Agreed. I was a college student in the 2000s, consoles were uncommon but computer gaming was everywhere. You needed a computer for schoolwork and other forms of digital entertainment anyway so pretty much everyone already had one and it didn't take much to be able to play any number of classics, like Counterstrike and Starcraft. I had a friend who wanted to play Warcraft 3 with us, probably around 2004ish, so we chipped in to buy a used video card for $60 as a birthday present and he was good to go. Some BWM people would buy brand new rigs too, but that wasn't the norm

Not to mention you can build/get a computer for literally free if you keep an eye out, and have free games to play for the rest of your life. And the rabbit holes you can go down... Like for example Mechwarrior: Living Legends. It's Crysis mod (don't have to own Crysis) with the biggest roster of mechs of any mechwarrior game but also tanks, planes and vehicles. And it's really loving good.

Meanwhile old consoles are being sold at crazy prices because baseball capped dorks are trying to relive their childhoods.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Duck and Cover posted:

Computers games generally just worked. Why yes I did have a Mac growing up what does that have to do with anything? I did eventually switch to PCs. I remember wanting to play Everquest.

Everquest was the exact reason why I bought the first pc in a mac only household lol. I used my orange iMac as a second monitor to have everquest maps open while playing eq on the pc lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
PC gaming is really cheap for AAA titles and after the absolute whiplash between PS4 Red Dead Redemption and the PC release I'll never buy a AAA title on a console unless there's no other option

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ppl complain about the performance on a PS4 but will happily play games on a Switch. Curious!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

fridge corn posted:

Ppl complain about the performance on a PS4 but will happily play games on a Switch. Curious!

fwiw I tried playing Wolfenstein on the switch while on a longhaul flight and it was a joke. Game looked and ran like muddy poo poo

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vic posted:

Not to mention you can build/get a computer for literally free if you keep an eye out, and have free games to play for the rest of your life. And the rabbit holes you can go down... Like for example Mechwarrior: Living Legends. It's Crysis mod (don't have to own Crysis) with the biggest roster of mechs of any mechwarrior game but also tanks, planes and vehicles. And it's really loving good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Octopath Traveler 2, a game which does not appear in anyway to be graphically intense:

PS5 - 4k, 60fps
Switch - 720p..... 30fps????

Great console lmao

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Octopath Traveler 2, a game which does not appear in anyway to be graphically intense:

PS5 - 4k, 60fps
Switch - 720p..... 30fps????

Great console lmao

Need some dollars per pixels breakdowns to really get my lmao in personally

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Vic posted:

Meanwhile old consoles are being sold at crazy prices because baseball capped dorks are trying to relive their childhoods.

Its true, I probably spend close to 1000$ a year on video games and the 2 I ended up spending more time playing than anything else last year (easily 150+ hours each) were both completely free mods (STALKER: Anomaly and Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos) also pretty sure you dont need to even own the original games to play them same as MW legends

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Steam is a wonderful candy store where I browse through cool looking games and then stick them somewhere roughly into the middle of my ever growing wish list and then start up the same handful of games yet again

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Steam is also like, chock full o' hentai now which isn't a hill I'm looking to die on as much as point out "that's loving weird."

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I like that steam has custom filters on the store. I told it to filter out anime and the store instantly became infinitely better.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mind the walrus posted:

Steam is also like, chock full o' hentai now which isn't a hill I'm looking to die on as much as point out "that's loving weird."

Well, that is what hentai means. Unless you are making a subtle joke.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I never even look at the Steam store anymore. If I decide I want a game I hit up https://isthereanydeal.com/ and buy it from whoever is cheapest. I don't think I've even bought a game from Steam for awhile.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
yeah. why enable gabe newells meatball parm addiction?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Duck and Cover posted:

Computers games generally just worked. Why yes I did have a Mac growing up what does that have to do with anything? I did eventually switch to PCs. I remember wanting to play Everquest.

Getting dos games to run right in the 80s/90s was usually way harder than the games themselves

The first time I downloaded a configuration file from a bbs instead of having to make my own was :stare:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

We'll be playing in minutes guys, just have to install the drivers for this sound card!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

precision posted:

Getting dos games to run right in the 80s/90s was usually way harder than the games themselves

The first time I downloaded a configuration file from a bbs instead of having to make my own was :stare:

Should have had a Mac. Escape Velocity, Unreal Tournament, Myth 1/2, Blizzard games. Probably the best era for owning a Mac and wanting to play games on it. As far as PC gaming being expensive? Eh the actual hardware can be expensive but games tend to be cheaper. Actual indie games, "free" to play, and discounts but no used games. The thing is you don't need the most expensive hardware for the majority of games. I don't think I've played a single game that has really needed the 3080 over the 1080. Well except the VR stuff which doesn't count.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 8, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Escape Velocity

Hell fucken yes

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

mind the walrus posted:

I was looking at Nintendo's website and it's about the same there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My first computer came with a Soundblaster compatible card.

I put a game in. Sound doesn't work. No matter what i can do it doesn't work.

I bring the computer and the game back to the store.

"You said it was compatible."

"it is"

"well, put a sound blaster in and see what happens."

They did and the sound worked immediately.

"how is that compatible?"

My next PC I built myself.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Dude you're getting a Gateway 2000

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

My first computer came with a Soundblaster compatible card.

I put a game in. Sound doesn't work. No matter what i can do it doesn't work.

I bring the computer and the game back to the store.

"You said it was compatible."

"it is"

"well, put a sound blaster in and see what happens."

They did and the sound worked immediately.

"how is that compatible?"

My next PC I built myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_A1GNx0M9M

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I have a soundblaster in my pc for all of the software synths I use. It's a good accessory for your rig if you really want to get into the game and hear crystal clear audio for that extra edge

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Hell fucken yes

It's sad that there's been no successor. Endless Sky/Sea is too slow, story heavy. Starsector doesn't feel right. Oh look at what I found https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cosmicfrontier/cosmic-frontier-override. Although, I'd prefer a new game.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 8, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it was wizardry 6 there was a game that used the internal PC speaker but somehow made it sound almost good, it was wild

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

fridge corn posted:

raytracing-brained dopes don't buy switches in the first place

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Wizardry 6 was an incredible game for how fuckin primitive it was. It's one I go back to once every 5 years or so.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vic posted:

Steam Deck is the best piece of gaming hardware ever produced.

Either it plays it natively, or it's available via a cloud gaming service with <50ms lag. I used to play MMOs on dial-up, motherfucker, I am immune to latency.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Playing MMOs also inured me to bad video games. I am now immune and can play bad video games like Nier Automata without issue.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

jokes posted:

Playing MMOs also inured me to bad video games. I am now immune and can play bad video games like Nier Automata without issue.

this + the witcher 3 for that extra layer of immunity

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

speaking of MMOs though I kinda want Project 1999 to start up a new server because I'm feeling nostalgic

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I reported a duping bug there that ended up getting a shitload of accounts banned, and the dude gave me a fungal staff and a guise as thanks.

Crime never pays, kids.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I reported a duping bug there that ended up getting a shitload of accounts banned, and the dude gave me a fungal staff and a guise as thanks.

Crime never pays, kids.

The smart move is to cater to the people who exploit bugs and benefit off of it. Sell them the reagents they need for their illicit alchemy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What 90’s-00’s PC exclusives were actually worth playing that weren’t FPS or RTS? I get that those are both actually good genres with massive amounts of great games, but if people can say the same thing about Nintendo platformers and action-adventure then it’s only fair play. And I mean actual PC exclusives, You can’t say Morrowind for instance because it’s on Xbox.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
cave story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

galagazombie posted:

What 90’s-00’s PC exclusives were actually worth playing that weren’t FPS or RTS? I get that those are both actually good genres with massive amounts of great games, but if people can say the same thing about Nintendo platformers and action-adventure then it’s only fair play. And I mean actual PC exclusives, You can’t say Morrowind for instance because it’s on Xbox.

Some of my favorites off the top of my head: X-Wing and a bunch of other Lucas Arts games, Sim City 3000/4, Myst/Riven, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Unreal, Counterstrike. Some of those got ported to consoles I guess but the ports were awful. Apparently Deus Ex had a PS2 version, but it came out a year later and they changed a bunch of poo poo.