Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Well I'm a ruckus owner now. They just delivered it. Gonna be a couple days before the weather clears and I can take a pic but I'll post one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
:madmax:

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Can someone point me to a good guide for breaking down a genuine 50cc 2 stroke and installing a 70cc kit? I bought the scooter works kit but have no idea what I’m doing.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

rally posted:

Can someone point me to a good guide for breaking down a genuine 50cc 2 stroke and installing a 70cc kit? I bought the scooter works kit but have no idea what I’m doing.

https://49ccscoot.proboards.com/thread/556/install-big-bore-kit-1e40qmb

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

scooterpostin'

while the weather wasn't nice it at least wasn't wet. put 11 miles on the ruckus... just waiting for that break in period to be over so i don't have to be so conservative with it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
God that looks fun. Hell yeah, goon.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Thanks! Almost ended up with a used one but I'm glad the dude ghosted me because I'll know what this one's been through.

Resisting the urge to modify it. I'll probably avoid engine mods but I'd like to swap in some LED lights and get a metal radiator cover. If I do any engine stuff I might just stage 1 it and call it good. This will likely be a gateway drug to a dual sport, though.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Probably! But scooters never stop being fun, even when you’ve got something bigger. My favorite scooter rides are after periods where I’ve been riding my Harley a lot.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

Probably! But scooters never stop being fun, even when you’ve got something bigger. My favorite scooter rides are after periods where I’ve been riding my Harley a lot.

Riding my Monkey back to back with the VStrom is comical.

I know that it's not even that big a bike. Since getting it and riding it regularly, my 250 EXC has felt like a slightly chonky mountain bike

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I mean, once I sell the Roadster and get the Bonneville that I'm going to do my long (for me) rides on, I think the next addition to the garage needs to be a absolutely garbage moped.

Our partner just started working for the scooter/Royal Enfield dealership here in the neighborhood part time, so I'll even have the inside track so I can get the exact level of lovely I'm craving.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Yeah I'm not craving more power, just wanting to connect a couple short stretches of highway to get to some of my favorite places.

I really like this little scoot because I understand how it works and I feel competent enough to wrench on it.

It's been fun for the short few miles I've had on it. Probably more fun once I get more used to it. I don't mind it being slow. It's fairly nimble.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

You may never crave more power. And that is more than fine.

Personally, even once I did it didn't make riding my scooter less fun. It was just different flavors for different tasks or moods. There's still nothing that gets you across town better than a scooter (other than an ebike, I mean).

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Yeah my only issue with it is the little stretches of highway I gotta use sometimes locally and I'd like to connect larger sections of highway to get to see friends or my fav woods. Just 2 lane ones for like an 8th of a mile but it's still illegal. I take my bicycle on them all the time so I'll probably hit it on the scoot at low traffic times and disregard the constabulary.

I've done a shitload of bicycle commuting/stupid riding and strangely I feel more vulnerable on the scooter even though it's usually faster and I have more safety gear on.

Maybe because I can't bail off the road as easily? Could also be I've been on a bicycle for more than 30 years but this is my first scooter and I have very limited motorcycle experience.

EDIT: now that I think about it, it's likely because I'm sitting down as if I'm in a chair rather than straddling the bike. It's a little unnatural feeling but it'll get better.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 25, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really like the color scheme on that ruckus. All rucks are cool as hell, good purchase.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really like the color scheme on that ruckus. All rucks are cool as hell, good purchase.

Thanks! I kinda wanted the all black or all gray one but the former wasn't available and someone bought the latter right as I walked in. There was the tan and navy blue one but I figured this would be more visible in traffic.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

knuthgrush posted:

There was the tan and navy blue one but I figured this would be more visible in traffic.

It will make zero difference in traffice but it's still a cool colorway!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

FBS posted:

It will make zero difference in traffice but it's still a cool colorway!

Well that sucks. I also try to dress pretty loud when I ride so hopefully it'll help some.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The biggest problem in my experience is with people merging into you. If you’re in a small town I assume most roads are only one lane each direction so hopefully less of a problem? Definitely go practice your emergency braking. I know it’s “just a 50cc scooter” but 30mph is fast enough for some pain.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

You take up more real estate visually than the Ruckus will, so you’re on the right track. All the neon in the world won’t stop someone with both their eyes on their phone, but it does help.

A good thing for your nerves when it comes to this stuff is to take the MSF even though you don’t need it for a 50cc. They teach a lot of the principles that’ll keep you safer in traffic and give you emergency drills to practice to both make you safer and give you confidence when things go wrong.

The worst accidents you’ll see are usually someone freezing and grabbing a fist full of brake.

You’re on a nimble little bike, so swerving to avoid things will be easy if you practice. You don’t have a ton of mass, so emergency stops will be pretty easy if you practice. Practicing is legit fun, will make you safer, and will give you the confidence to use what you’ve learned so you don’t freeze up in the moment.

I’m excited for you. We have a rare snowpocalypse happening here, so I’m living vicariously through you a bit at the moment.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I'm really tempted by the Aventura-X, which is a Chinese built / American Assembled electric Vespa clone. It looks awesome and is way more affordable than the Vespa Elettrica (which I think Vespa may have also discontinued the 30mph models anyways). Is there any reason I should absolutely not buy this thing? I mainly want to use it for tooling around my neighborhood and short trips to the market and such.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

The sidecar model looks super cool

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

They look cool but I'm worried about the build quality, are they made from the same nasty plastics as other Chinese scooters?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I think it depends whether you’ve got a local retailer/service center to help you out when/if there’s problems.

A cheap, Chinese scooter can be fine if you’ve got parts and support available.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
So by pure luck it turned out there was a used Vespa Elettrica only a few miles away from me for not much more than the Aventura-X cost, so I ended up going with that! It’s a blast so far!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Talorat posted:

So by pure luck it turned out there was a used Vespa Elettrica only a few miles away from me for not much more than the Aventura-X cost, so I ended up going with that! It’s a blast so far!

Your spaceship is pretty.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Talorat posted:

Is it the 50 kph moped version or the unrestricted "motorcycle" one? Nice either way, I've been looking at them longingly ever since they came out but they are so insanely pricy and I'm poor lol.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

It’s the 30mph (freedom units) one, which as far as I am concerned is a feature not a bug because I am a huge coward. In any case it’s perfect for tootling around my neighborhood and going to the store and such.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

knuthgrush posted:

Your spaceship is pretty.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Talorat posted:

It’s the 30mph (freedom units) one, which as far as I am concerned is a feature not a bug because I am a huge coward. In any case it’s perfect for tootling around my neighborhood and going to the store and such.

If any electric vehicle ever deserved to make the Jetsons "blibblibblibble" noise it's this

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
You mean this sound? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NgSZ8sjDgU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Talorat posted:

I think the unrestricted one does like 45 mph so it's not that much faster.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

was a great day for a scoot. pegged that speedo several times (i'm finally out of the breakin period). did some old country roads here out to a 7th day adventist gas station in the middle of nowhere that i love. ~20 miles today.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

knuthgrush posted:

was a great day for a scoot. pegged that speedo several times (i'm finally out of the breakin period). did some old country roads here out to a 7th day adventist gas station in the middle of nowhere that i love. ~20 miles today.

:hellyeah:

That reminded me, this weekend I saw a scooter carving it up on my favorite mountain road, first time I've seen any kind of scoot out there. Looked like he was having a blast. Probably should be wearing gear, any kind of gear at all, but hey it's his life, I'm not a cop!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Ride free sk00terd00d

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
convinced that dadbiking's final form isn't a Goldwing or Ultra Classic but a maxi-scoot and comfortable shoes

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Jazzzzz posted:

convinced that dadbiking's final form isn't a Goldwing or Ultra Classic but a maxi-scoot and comfortable shoes

my dad fits the goldwing description there (and he keeps trying to give me that big rear end bike, bleh).

my ruckus adventures are getting more adventurous and i'm getting further from home. it hit me that i don't have a trailer or anything to get this thing back home if i have a problem with it. i'm used to long distance bicycle journeys and keep a tool roll on me with some accessories in case i break something. what sorts of tools might i need in the event of a ruckus fuckus? off the top of my head i can think of some vise grips or pliers, 8/10/12 sockets with a ratchet, couple screwdrivers, maybe some fix-a-flat because it doesn't have tubes? what about an extra belt or something for the cvt and some fluids?

also what are some common scoot fails i should think about?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Most motorcycles come with an onboard emergency tool kit. Didn't the Ruckus come with one, too? Or are they cheaping out on those too, now?

Typically, these kits include:

A screwdriver (JIS cross head and flat head. A brand called Muji makes a really great set of these, although they might be a little bulky and stubby)
10mm wrench, 12mm wrench
A socket for taking out the spark plug (Quick Google search says 14mm for the Ruckus)
A bar or ratchet to turn aforementioned socket
A rear axle wrench (this is usually a ring wrench)
Some kind of flat, hollow extension bar that fits over the wrench ends to essentially extend the handle, giving extra torque
Pliers

So, you're basically on the right track. I would also pack some kind of wet wipes or a paper towel, or a pair of disposable gloves. Sometimes, people even recommend a candy bar.

For Japanese vehicles, 10mm sockets/wrenches are the main thing, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someday one of the big 4 will make a bike that only uses 10mm fasteners and they will have reached nirvana

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someday one of the big 4 will make a bike that only uses 10mm fasteners and they will have reached nirvana

If my dirt bikes are anything to go by, the fastener size of choice is 8mm.
Besides, how am I going to remove 10mm stuff? Those sockets/wrenches pop out of existence 10 minutes after you buy them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I wouldn't worry about the belt, because at that point you need to have a flywheel lock tool and a whole lot of leverage. I needed an impact wrench to do it, because I couldn't hold onto the whole thing with a 4" breaker pipe. Also like nothing is getting in there with the stock cover.

If I was worried I'd keep a little ratchet and enough sockets to get the seat and floorboard off, I think they're all 10mm but I can check in the morning. That'll let you actually examine the engine, carb, and hoses, if ever necessary. And a screwdriver and whatever to remove the battery box and the battery. Even then, the kickstarter will save you. The steering lock or ignition switch itself can freeze stiff if it's really really cold.

I've put mine through a lot of abuse, I used to take it down a long highway to go fishing, then through lots of mud along the river. I also jumped them and skid through turns. The worst thing that happens with all of those things is that the drum brake gets dirty and needs cleaned out, which sucks but it's not the worst.

I hit a curb in one going about 35 (downhill :madmax:), ditched and saw it flip over a few times, and was able to ride it away after sitting it upright for a moment.

The only time one left me stranded was when I overrevved it pretty much immediately after buying it, and it fit in the back of my friend's forester. As far as I can tell the culprit was a loose bolt was stuck against the flywheel which seems nuts but I rebuilt the whole thing and the only other thing I can think of is that the timing chain bound up somehow.

E: Was thinking of removing it, which is not needed to just replace the belt

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 9, 2023