Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When are the drat pixel remasters coming to switchm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

In Training posted:

When are the drat pixel remasters coming to switchm

spring 2023

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Sub-Actuality posted:

wow the leveling/skill system in FF2 is kind of insane lol

It's demented even by SaGa standards.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
final fntasy 3 ds hurt me

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fntasy 3 ds hurt me

actually this ones the worst final fantasy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

3 ds is such total dogshit lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Fungah! posted:

actually this ones the worst final fantasy

Fungah! posted:

3 ds is such total dogshit lol

----------------

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
3 is the one i know nothing about. nobody has ever had anything to say to me about it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

in the original final fantasy 2 you spend most of the game trying to the spell ultima and once you finally get it its useless because one of the game coders snuck in and made it that way because he thought it was realistic and they couldnt fix it because he coded it in a loving cipher and wouldnt undo it lmao

Nasser ftw

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

in the original final fantasy 2 you spend most of the game trying to the spell ultima and once you finally get it its useless because one of the game coders snuck in and made it that way because he thought it was realistic and they couldnt fix it because he coded it in a loving cipher and wouldnt undo it lmao

no shot it isn't just that's what he told his boss because he didn't feel like fixing it lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

3 is the one i know nothing about. nobody has ever had anything to say to me about it.

it's 5 but not as good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

3 nes is ok, its kind of a mess but it has cool ideas and a good soundtrack. 3 ds th director decided that since it was an old game it had to be crazy fuckin hard and punishing in a lot of stupid ways because thats how games were back in the day!!!! and it fuckin sucks

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
final fantasy 3 ds could only render a few enemies at a time on the battle field compared to the nes and its sprites so to account for this they doubled the stats of every enemy in the game making it harder than it had to be along with other changes that were just there to make the game as unfun as possible

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 3 ds could only render a few enemies at a time on the battle field compared to the nes and its sprites so to account for this they doubled the hp and attack of every enemy in the game

theres a boss 2/3 of the way through that in the original was weak to dragoon but they removed that from the job rebalance and kept all its stats the same and then gave it like 3 attacks a turn

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Fungah! posted:

theres a boss 2/3 of the way through that in the original was weak to dragoon but they removed that from the job rebalance and kept all its stats the same and then gave it like 3 attacks a turn

lol

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

AND the last boss gets four attacks a turn nd each attack can nearly one-shot someone because they didnt check the numbers. also theres no save points in dungeons nd the only place you can grind up enough to fight the last boss is in the last dungeon which you cant leave and if you die you lose all your grinding + have to fight like four bosses again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

3 is a job system game where youre punished for changing jobs. You get like Crystal Sickness and your stats take a hit

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
there is no save point in the final dungeonfuck!!!

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

same boss gets one attack a turn in 3 nes and it's still one of the hardest final bosses in the series. also they made all th endgame superjobs way shittier for class balance reasons so your party's way weaker than it would be in 3 nes

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

3 is a job system game where youre punished for changing jobs. You get like Crystal Sickness and your stats take a hit

i think thats only in 3 ds? dont @ me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 3 ds could only render a few enemies at a time on the battle field compared to the nes and its sprites so to account for this they doubled the stats of every enemy in the game making it harder than it had to be along with other changes that were just there to make the game as unfun as possible

It's so hosed

In Training posted:

In the NES version you used CP (lol) which you earned from battle to switch jobs instead of the stupid stat reduction in the DS version. I think I read they fixed this in the pixel remaster so you can just switch jobs at will like FF5

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

i think thats only in 3 ds? dont @ me

Idk I never played 3 NES. And this is also a memory of playing a DS game for about 30 hours 17 years ago. So take it with a grain of salt

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
final fantasy 3 on the nes is okay its just a less polished and refined ff5 but because it was hard to emulate because it was a hacked together game made to use as much of the nes as possible it was never ported until the pixel remasters so all we had was the bad ds version

----------------

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

ff3 ds is one of the only games I have ever returned. I hated it.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Idk I never played 3 NES. And this is also a memory of playing a DS game for about 30 hours 17 years ago. So take it with a grain of salt

the stat drain things definitely in 3 ds, youve got to fight like 10 battles with lovely stats to get rid of it, more under certain circumstances (i cant remember if that means switching from a late job to another job or switchng from a phys job to a magic job)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
lol buying final fantasy 3 on the ds because i was excited to play the final fnatasy i knew nothing about and five hours later im morphing into mike matei animorph style screaming at the ds until i take the game out and never play it again

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the director ws the same guy who made the ff4 ds remake btw, the one that skyrocketed all the numbers nd added the dogshit augment system

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol buying final fantasy 3 on the ds because i was excited to play the final fnatasy i knew nothing about and five hours later im morphing into mike matei animorph style screaming at the ds until i take the game out and never play it again

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
needing a guide to learn which augments go to who so i dont lock myself out of useful augments ftw

----------------

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Lol same I remember playing it secretly during class in college

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Base jobs matter more in 3 because you can't mix and match abilities, so if you want to cast white magic you have to be a white mage, or one of the later classes that's like white mage but better. I always tap out once they want me to go through this whole dungeon Mini-ed.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

Base jobs matter more in 3 because you can't mix and match abilities, so if you want to cast white magic you have to be a white mage, or one of the later classes that's like white mage but better. I always tap out once they want me to go through this whole dungeon Mini-ed.

that and the toad dungeon are so bad lol. funny idea though and the last boss of that dungeons just a normal rat

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

that's a crappy port of a crummy game op. if you have to play it you should get the pixel remaster instead.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

the versions of ff2 with hp that increases automatically every so often are the best ones, but you don't really have to hit each other either

but there's a ton of other weird poo poo in there too, like every enemy has a tier ranking which means at a certain point you get literally nothing out of fighting them, no stats will raise, nothing

this was supposed to be anti-grind poo poo but nowhere is any of this made clear, lol

I actually love ff2 but it's loving crazy

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

the director ws the same guy who made the ff4 ds remake btw, the one that skyrocketed all the numbers nd added the dogshit augment system

I liked the dogshit augment system, but I've probably replayed FF4 more than any other game lol.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol same I remember playing it secretly during class in college

playing ff3 ds in class and having some kind of epipeltic seizure caised by pure gamer rager requiring 911 to be called

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome posted:

I liked the dogshit augment system, but I've probably replayed FF4 more than any other game lol.

once you figure it out the dogshit augment systems fun but its still dogshit lol. i'm more mad about them not checkin the numbers on the monsters so theres like random encounters tht just wipe you instantly, nothin you can do

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I was going to hold out for the switch versions, until I realized that I could change the horrible UI font on the pc version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
the atb system in the gba port of ff4 was broken and you could get 3 or 4 turns before enemies got theirs lol

----------------