Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

The front office realizes they need some veteran guys to show the way for the kids, especially with Gus and Jake gone. This could be that along with getting Johnny friend to play with.

There's cheaper ways to do that than taking a 7 million/year cap hit for the next three years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah they could have Respected Veteran Leader Brian Dumoulin for less in a couple monhahahaha who am I kidding the Penguins will announce they've extended him for 5/30 full NMC any day now.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Tony D is a good lad who means well

I'd prefer Vinnie Jones 2 foot him and then do that other thing that got Vinnie Jones banned from the foot.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He deliberately moved his leg, yes. He was not having a weird, involuntary muscle spasm. It would be extremely difficult to determine that his intent was to deflect the puck into the net.
You're getting too deep into the weeds. You cannot deliberately swing your leg or arm at the puck and knock it into the net. The intent of the swing doesn't matter. Goals get disallowed all the time when a guy intends to knock the puck out of the air down to his stick, or tries to kick it to his stick but it ends up going in accidently.

An example of a non-deliberate batting of the puck would be If a player has his back turned to the puck and is jockeying for position in front of the net and unknowingly bats the puck into the net.

Iodised QQ posted:

To put a different angle on good goal or bad goal chat

The isles absolutely dominated that game and it shouldn't have even been close enough for that to matter

I'm not sure if that makes the goal easier or more difficult to accept but this is where we're at right now
I wish they compiled uncalled icing, high-sticking, holding, hooking and interference stats. Islanders would have been off the charts for last nights game.

And I'm not blaming the refs. I think it's clear that the NHL wants dead puck style cutch 'n grab to be a successful way to play the game in 2023 and beyond. I disagree, but it is what it is.

Wish the Sabres would wake up to that reality and "build their team the right way" and play "the right way" just like the Islanders.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was looking through stats for neat stuff and i noticed Arber Xhekaj is still leading the league in penalty minutes. He hasn't played since February 12 when he hosed up his shoulder throwing a punch in a pointless fight when his team was up 3-0. Montreal better lock him up with money and term, you can't teach that kind of grit.

Jesper Boqvist has 53 games played for New Jersey with 11:05 TOI/GP and 0 penalties. He's the league's goodest boy with over 50 GP this season.

The Arizona Coyotes have taken 51 more penalties than they've drawn.

The Edmonton Oilers are currently at 1.11 PPG/GP, the only team over 1. Extremely rare post-lockout, except for some reason 05-06.

Since the lockout, there are 30 teams that have averaged more than 1 powerplay goal per game over a season. Somehow 18 of those happened in 2005-06. Was it some sort of rule change that was quickly reversed or just some freak statistic?

e: Apparently the refs enforced rules that year. the top 16 teams for penalties taken since 02-03 are all 05-06 teams. the 05-06 Captials took 673 penalties. 8.07 per game. they spent 10:38/GP shorthanded. The worst team so far this year is the Senators at 6:14/GP shorthanded, The Panthers are the worst for PT/GP at 4.81

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 8, 2023

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Was 05-06 the year they got "serious" about slashing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Krime posted:

Was 05-06 the year they got "serious" about slashing?

I think i figured it out.

it was the first year shooting the puck over the glass from your own end was a delay of game penalty.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
05-06 they started enforcing hooking and holding. for 1 year.

e: yes, and puck over the glass 2-min, and power plays always start in the o-zone

Otis Reddit fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 8, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Puck over the glass penalty is the best because you get to watch people die inside live

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'd prefer Vinnie Jones 2 foot him and then do that other thing that got Vinnie Jones banned from the foot.

I have a sudden urge to want Vinnie Jones signed to my team for veteran leadership and intangibles and grit and running Tom Wilson purposes in the ice footy.

Iodised QQ posted:

To put a different angle on good goal or bad goal chat

The isles absolutely dominated that game and it shouldn't have even been close enough for that to matter

I'm not sure if that makes the goal easier or more difficult to accept but this is where we're at right now

Depends on if you're in a position to actually need the points or if you can live with a good effort in a game you shouldn't have been in but were. 9 times out of 10, I think it would be the former.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the increase in not wearing the pride night jerseys sucks and this was always how it was going to go :sigh:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

why the hell does Columbus want Kevin Hayes? They better be taking a high pick from the Flyers if they're eating that contract

I can guarantee it's almost solely because Johnny Hockey and Kevin Hayes were 2/3 of the most dominant line in NCAA hockey history. The last year the two of them played together they had a combined 63 goals and 82 assists, in just 40 games. The other guy was Bill Arnold, who the Flames drafted after they got Gaudreau, but it turns out that Bill was probably just a passenger on that line.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tony D is a dumb little bitch

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Tony D is a dumb little bitch

:emptyquote:

Banned 2 games for spearing Corey Perry in the nuts lmfao

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

big black turnout posted:

drat, refs not calling a blatant penalty against the sharks how shocking

If you really want to get :tinfoil: about it, the ref that gave Karlsson the unsportsmanlike minor and the 10 minute misconduct also had gotten into an argument with the Sharks coach the night before and had handed out a bench minor for that and the NHL declined to fine the coach just like 6 hours prior to puck drop.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Otis Reddit posted:

05-06 they started enforcing hooking and holding. for 1 year.
Loved how the Flyers during that time doubled-down on a bunch of clutch-n-grabbers like Derian Hatcher and Mike Rathje only for them to be quickly rendered obsolete

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

shyduck posted:

Loved how the Flyers during that time doubled-down on a bunch of clutch-n-grabbers like Derian Hatcher and Mike Rathje only for them to be quickly rendered obsolete
It could be worse. You could be the Sabres who's only years of relevance post lockout were during the 2 seasons the league actually called penalties. And now 16 years later in a league that doesn't call penalties they're still trying to build the same sort of non-physical, soft, clean, skilled, finesse team that won the 2006-07 Presidents Trophy.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Mr. Fish posted:

Couldn't happen to a better person. gently caress Corey Perry.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mr. Fish posted:

If 2 games is the price tag on spearing Corey Perry in the nuts then guys are going to be queueing up by the hundreds all over the league, and also is there a form I have to fill out to add my name to the waiting list, or

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

shyduck posted:

Man it felt like Rathje was on LTI for-loving-ever

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

If 2 games is the price tag on spearing Corey Perry in the nuts then guys are going to be queueing up by the hundreds all over the league, and also is there a form I have to fill out to add my name to the waiting list, or

new thread title: line up to spear corey perry in the nuts

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There's definitely way more interference in the neutral zone and on forechecking players than there used to be. I assume it's because they're trying to avoid super high speed collisions on the forecheck but it used to be called much more stringently. The kind of stuff that's called on the puck is still pretty tight, but away from it you can get away with much more.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The whole defense man gets to move one lane and can't impede the forward went out the window years ago and it accounts for like 30% of the Islanders improvements. Also Tampa gets away with an obscene amount along with setting moving picks.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah we're not at peak clutch n'grab era, but the amount of clogging the neutral zone teams get away with right now is pretty lovely. I'd still prefer they actually call boarding consistently if I could change one thing.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
if I could change one thing it would be to go back in time and crank off with peak jarome in a sauna

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mennoknight posted:

if I could change one thing it would be to go back in time and crank off with peak jarome in a sauna

now that's peak clutch n'grab

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Simplex posted:

Yeah we're not at peak clutch n'grab era, but the amount of clogging the neutral zone teams get away with right now is pretty lovely. I'd still prefer they actually call boarding consistently if I could change one thing.

muffled incoherent screaming is heard

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

They said clutch and grab not clutch and gag

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

That’s just Jarome’s sauna, keep moving

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

that's not screaming it's a tender grunt

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
clearly the script writers at Disney hate the Sabres

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

now that's peak clutch n'grab
How about peak clutch n'jump?

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1633661056051712001
(gently caress Logan Stanley)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Still not sure how that wasn't holding with the arms wrapped around both sides. Legit just hit the guy next time.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Paracaidas posted:

i’m gonna MKULTRA ben Harpur to do this to one of the Devils’ twinks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Stop winning! Jesus Christ how do they do this every year?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The whole defense man gets to move one lane and can't impede the forward went out the window years ago and it accounts for like 30% of the Islanders improvements. Also Tampa gets away with an obscene amount along with setting moving picks.

If they started calling interference, the NHL would be much more exciting and watchable. But also the Islanders would be horrible. So who can really say

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

clearly the script writers at Disney hate the Sabres

Cool, their final game against the Islanders is on ESPN+, so that means they definitely can’t make the playoffs. Unless they win every other game for the rest of the season but only lose that one…?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

it's like Jason Dickinson said, hope is the thing with feathers from pigeon park

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

ThinkTank posted:

That’s what happens when they don’t trade Miller.

Also it was the Ducks, a team actively making it hard to not win against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

kill me now posted:

That’s what happens when they don’t trade Miller.

Also it was the Ducks, a team actively making it hard to not win against them.

They have won three in a row and 4 of 5 and are 5-2-1 in their last eight. Without fail they go all world over the last twenty games once their playoff chances are spent. Just once I'd like to see this garbage team strip it back to the bolts and pack in a season. They have like eight AHL guys on the roster right now, so rather than playing them they're rolling out Hughes/Pettersson and Miller for 25+ mins a night each. Hughes is regularly hitting 30 minutes. Someone needs to tell Tocchet he isn't coaching for his life and to play literally anyone else because this is once again screwing the team's draft position and running his stars into the ground isn't a viable strategy long term.