Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It took me a moment to realize the two Zelda articles are by the same person too lmao. Have a backbone and commit to your opinions. Polygon is such a poo poo site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Zelda timeline can both be explained and not matter

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This is the actual article https://www.pcgamer.com/good-job-internet-you-bullied-nfts-out-of-mainstream-games/ if anyone wants to read it, but its best not to give PC Gamer a view.

Why not?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Because the content you consume is not only a direct reflection of your core identity, but even LOOKING at a piece of content permanently bonds you to the moral and ethical failings of whatever entity you happened to brush up against while otherwise innocently going about your daily life. Sorry to hear about your newly unveiled moral failure!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If I remember, the actual text of the article is against NFTs. The headline is completely sincere.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

mutata posted:

Because the content you consume is not only a direct reflection of your core identity, but even LOOKING at a piece of content permanently bonds you to the moral and ethical failings of whatever entity you happened to brush up against while otherwise innocently going about your daily life. Sorry to hear about your newly unveiled moral failure!

And yet you yourself post on something awful dot com. Huh. Curious

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
yeah the actual article is very much in the "if we didn't make fun of scummy ideas we'd be up to our necks in wildly-predatory monetization schemes" camp.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

And yet you yourself post on something awful dot com. Huh. Curious

Oh no! My pitard! It wasn't supposed to allow me to be hoisted like this!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I read the article and yes, it's just a survey of how soundly the market has rejected NFTs and the good reasons why

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PC Gamer is pretty legit AFAIK, they just do quite a bit of advertorial poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

they host the PC Gaming Show during Summer Games Fest, that's pretty deece

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have fond memories of those PC Gamer demo discs from back in the day. Pretty cool how much they'd fit on those.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Srice posted:

I have fond memories of those PC Gamer demo discs from back in the day. Pretty cool how much they'd fit on those.

I remember one of them had a little adventure game puzzle you had to figure out to get to the game demos and that one had heroes of might and magic II on it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

I remember one of them had a little adventure game puzzle you had to figure out to get to the game demos and that one had heroes of might and magic II on it

Yeah! And I recall how some of those discs had an archive of their reviews. Not the full reviews, just the pros/cons summary at the end + the score, but that was still pretty quaint for the time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PC Gamer in general just kinda super sucks nowadays, although the article is actually a good piece and that surprised me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Srice posted:

I miss their magazine days from the 90s. They were awesome back then.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Coconut Monkey gang tag when?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm PC Gamer!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

PC Gamer in general just kinda super sucks nowadays

How come?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

How come?

Too many clickbait articles, and trying to foster a community of us vs. them in gaming spaces, I dont know if they are still doing this stuff, but at one point they went really hard on it so I stopped visiting their site because I found it annoying.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just watch their videos occasionally. They lost a lot of draw when the McElroys left, and even more when BDG did, but their boardgame sessions are pretty alright.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's Polygon, not PC Gamer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

That's Polygon, not PC Gamer

It's really both, but Polygon it's their entire identity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, PC Gamer never employed the McElroys.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

https://twitter.com/JUNlPER/status/1633303821412646912

lol at everything about Mr. Beast. How did he even get this much money to be making novelty chocolates and burgers from playing Minecraft anyway? It seems like a really boring game to stream since all you do is stack blocks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

No, PC Gamer never employed the McElroys.

That's on me, phone posting made it less obvious the convo had shifted away from polygon on this page

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They've done a few articles correctly pointing out lovely behaviour in the industry but I never got an "us vs them" vibe.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Everything is "us vs them"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whirling posted:

lol at everything about Mr. Beast. How did he even get this much money to be making novelty chocolates and burgers from playing Minecraft anyway? It seems like a really boring game to stream since all you do is stack blocks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Whirling posted:

Minecraft streaming is an immense Here Be Dragons on the modern internet that I have no desire to chart

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Hootington posted:

Everything is "us vs them"

Yeah but the "them" are the worst people on the planet so I'm happy to be vs them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whirling posted:

I'm sure he makes bajillions from his gaming channels, but he built his audience on giving away shitloads of money to strangers and friends on YouTube for views. I don't really care either way about him, as it's not just "Mr Beast" but more "The Corporation Formerly Known As Mr Beast", but he at least has kept his giveaway shenanigans local to his North Carolina hometown and also runs several local food pantries, so you can do FAR worse when it comes to influencers.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

stev posted:

Yeah but the "them" are the worst people on the planet so I'm happy to be vs them.

Yeah. Gamers.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

His wikipedia article says he's a philanthropist. That means he can't be bad. He makes rich people look cool!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gamers are epic. Unlike Mr Beast who seems unepic. Think he doesn't belong in this thread.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
His burgers loving suck so he is not even a person to me, just an aberration.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You'll be relieved to hear that he doesn't, personally, make the burgers.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I was at a film festival a few weeks ago and saw someone wearing a Mr Beast sweatshirt. Was really something, seeing that out in the wild.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
well this is awkward let's all welcome our new mod with open arms, MrBeast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

mutata posted:

You'll be relieved to hear that he doesn't, personally, make the burgers.

you'll be even more relieved to know that anyone can say they make mr beast burgers