Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
MADHOUSE animating and directed by the same person who did "Bocci?" Hell yes, I'm on board. The comic is wonderful.

Nitrousoxide posted:

It sounds like a really dumb premise. Can you sell me on it?

As others have said, it is a dumb premise. Stupidest premise I ever heard. But I always have good luck with things I first felt were stupid premises: "Akiba Maid War," "Ya Boy, Kongming!", "Oddtaxi." You get the picture.

I doubt it will be as great as those series, but if it's at least as good as "Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear," which was good enough to earn a new season, or "Campfire Cooking in Another World with my Absurd Skill," which I am presently enjoying the hell out of (Fel is a very good boy. And Sui is a very good slime.), [both of those hit the same triggers] then I'll be satisfied.

At the least, it doesn't look like it was animated by the b-team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

galagazombie posted:

I will forever maintain that “Isekai” is way more specific than just “going to another world” yea yea make your jokes about the literal definition of the word, but it has a pretty unique set of conventions that make it very obvious what your watching/reading. People harp on about the video game mechanics part but that’s actually not the biggest thing when you get down into the nitty gritty of how the story works on a fundamental level.
The real big thing that underlies the whole genre is that returning to the “real world” is neither possible nor desirable. The Normalacy of real life is something that is wholly rejected (ironically this rejection remains true even in the so called “slow life” sub-sub-genre). If the old adage is true, that the only two stories are either the one where Luke Skywalker leaves behind podunk Tatooine to live and become great in the wider galaxy, or the one where Frodo is just trying to get rid of this drat ring so he can go home to his normal life, then Isekai is the former and stories like Narnia and Alice in Wonderland are the latter.

only that there's a lot of isekai stories where the protag can jump freely between the fantasy world and the real world at will. so having a big part of them being struck isn't really a condition

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's not isekai that's just House Brand Inuyasha

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Or more generally portal fantasy

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
That reminds me, I need to stop at Costco for a twelve-pack of Kirkland Naruto.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kirkland Shinobi War is made from B-batches of Ninja Scroll. I know that Kirkland Naruto is a more popular shorthand for it, but some people scream bloody murder when you don't get the source right.

Waffleman_ posted:

Or more generally portal fantasy

:catstare:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

GateOfD posted:

only that there's a lot of isekai stories where the protag can jump freely between the fantasy world and the real world at will. so having a big part of them being struck isn't really a condition

But that right there is the whole “leaving behind the other world” part. Those few that use the “back and forth” twist are still always about how the protagonist is going to maintain a permanent presence in the new world and have it become a permanent fixture of their lives. In this case “returning to earth” is the narrative equivalent of Luke Skywalker going back to kill Jabba before setting back out, or even just “sending a letter back home to the folk”.
Another way to phrase it is that Isekai treats the fantastical world as being as equally real and valid as the banal one. Whereas older non Isekai stories have an implicit understanding of the fantastical world as being “less real” and it’s importance tied to whatever lessons or experience the protagonist can use in their “real” lives that “matter”.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GateOfD posted:

rewatching thru the series, "Interview with Monster Girls" a bit

succubus sensei and vampire-chan the best
man I keep forgetting that series exists. The manga was good, but I completely forget where I stopped, so I guess I need to start over.

Also reminds me I read A Centaur's Worries but dropped off around the time the main centaur girl got transported to another world and became some demigod or something to a bunch of medieval dudes in a castle. That series had a habit of just throwing random poo poo into the mix and not all of it worked

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

galagazombie posted:

I will forever maintain that “Isekai” is way more specific than just “going to another world” yea yea make your jokes about the literal definition of the word, but it has a pretty unique set of conventions that make it very obvious what your watching/reading. People harp on about the video game mechanics part but that’s actually not the biggest thing when you get down into the nitty gritty of how the story works on a fundamental level.
The real big thing that underlies the whole genre is that returning to the “real world” is neither possible nor desirable. The Normalacy of real life is something that is wholly rejected (ironically this rejection remains true even in the so called “slow life” sub-sub-genre). If the old adage is true, that the only two stories are either the one where Luke Skywalker leaves behind podunk Tatooine to live and become great in the wider galaxy, or the one where Frodo is just trying to get rid of this drat ring so he can go home to his normal life, then Isekai is the former and stories like Narnia and Alice in Wonderland are the latter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Connecticut_Yankee_in_King_Arthur%27s_Court

whatever definition you use, the concept is still more than a century old.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Isekai is weeb portal fantasy, only sometimes the portal is dying. That's its that's the entire genre good talk.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

galagazombie posted:

But that right there is the whole “leaving behind the other world” part. Those few that use the “back and forth” twist are still always about how the protagonist is going to maintain a permanent presence in the new world and have it become a permanent fixture of their lives. In this case “returning to earth” is the narrative equivalent of Luke Skywalker going back to kill Jabba before setting back out, or even just “sending a letter back home to the folk”.
Another way to phrase it is that Isekai treats the fantastical world as being as equally real and valid as the banal one. Whereas older non Isekai stories have an implicit understanding of the fantastical world as being “less real” and it’s importance tied to whatever lessons or experience the protagonist can use in their “real” lives that “matter”.

n... no? there are some that do but. dunbine is one of the archetypal isekai stories in anime and byston well is presented as just as real as the real world, the fighting completely leaks back into the real world at the end because everyone got booted out for how badly they were loving byston well up, stuff like wings of rean presents the worlds becoming more separated as a tragedy for its main character because there were people there he genuinely cared deeply for and neo dunbine takes place entirely within byston well. rayearth does present cephiro as a place the lead characters can't stay in in the anime, but the entire second season is purely premised on their attachment to the world and the ending has a vague implication that it would be possible for them to return, while the manga makes that even more explicit and is premised on them continuing to work alongside the political leaders of the fantasy world. there are a lot of older isekai stories in anime that treat the fantasy setting as a very real place and not just a means to teach the leads a moral before they go back to the real world

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the moral of dunbine everyone learns when they go back to the real world is, it would be hosed up if a californian weapons dealer got fantasy magic and used it to build robots and space ships so he could nuke australia. also it would suck if you reappeared after being declared missing for weeks but now your parents think you're an alien. also it would be very easy to bribe a fantasy prince if you gave him a foosball table

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 8, 2023

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Rokudo's Bad Girls trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJOnJRpAIo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

the moral of dunbine everyone learns when they go back to the real world is, it would be hosed up if a californian weapons dealer got fantasy magic and used it to build robots and space ships so he could nuke australia. also it would suck if you reappeared after being declared missing for weeks but now your parents think you're an alien. also it would be very easy to bribe a fantasy prince if you gave him a foosball table

It sounds like I should watch Dunbine

I was way off on what I thought the voice they would give Rokudo would be.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Electric Phantasm posted:

It sounds like I should watch Dunbine

it's one of the most fun tomino anime i think. consistently weird and funny and throwing bizarre new ideas around

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dunbine has a character named Shot Weapon

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Jeril Coochibie

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway like. classing any of this stuff under any specific banner is a waste of time. there's never really been one consistent way these stories are told and the only reason any specific patterns have emerged in the recent glut of them is because of attempts to copy recent ones that get popular more than anything else, see how villainess isekai has split between stories written by people who clearly are engaged with and care about the games they're parodying and people who write... ultimate level 99 secret boss villainess...??? uh anyway treating the fantasy world as its own truly existent space is a concept that's existed for a long time, even stuff like escaflowne that plays a bit closer to the more traditional fairy tale idea overall does treat its setting as a place that truly exists and is given a definitive framing in relation to earth. likewise there are more recent stories like shokei shoujo that examine the characters in relation to why they desire to be in the setting and how that desire can be twisted against them. there's no hard rules or definitions about any of this we just happen to have borne witness to a heavy marketing push for a whole bunch that were shoveled out hard in response to seeing other stories get popular

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

pretty sure in practice isekai is just the new word for post-sword art online fantasy anime

i think this is dumb to be clear but honestly idk how else you'd square the term's usage. no one ever applies the term to anything else unless they're trying to make some kind of academic point about word definitions.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 8, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maybe it's because my primary exposure to sao is gungale online and fatal bullet but i always felt like the setting played enough with being tied to mmos rather than actual fully separate worlds that the ties people try to make feel weird

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the first arc is effectively isekai, also "vrmmo" and isekai used to be pretty well lumped together. most isekai nowadays is basically an evolution of "what if SAO's first arc but living in the game was awesome, and also real"

i wouldn't really consider SAO an isekai but modern isekais ultimately stem from the audience reaction to SAO and sudden interest in that kind of story, as far as i a random internet dude can tell.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 8, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

SAO is the original modern isekai as everything after tried to copy it (seriously, how many Kirito clones are out there nowadays), but its also not an isekai because its ultimately more sci-fi grounded and kind of turns into Black Mirror lite in the second season / movies. But also its hella isekai starting with the arc after that so :shrug:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would note that most "modern" isekai is probably more like copying something that copied something that copied SAO

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SAO is a major cause of the isekai trend, less because of direct derivation of its story, but because its author seeing successful publication and adapation of his works was a big spark for the webnovel boom in general.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

ninjewtsu posted:

the first arc is effectively isekai, also "vrmmo" and isekai used to be pretty well lumped together. most isekai nowadays is basically an evolution of "what if SAO's first arc but living in the game was awesome, and also real"

i wouldn't really consider SAO an isekai but modern isekais ultimately stem from the audience reaction to SAO and sudden interest in that kind of story, as far as i a random internet dude can tell.

yea, first arc was isekai, then it was just a regular VRMMO series for good numebr of seasons/volumes.
and then Alicization Arc came full circle and started becoming more of an isekai again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I hate how isetalk always engages in .hack// erasure.

We seem to be at a stage where the more obvious video game isms aren't popping up as much.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

.hack was before sao and therefore not an isekai :v:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ninjewtsu posted:

pretty sure in practice isekai is just the new word for post-sword art online fantasy anime

It's this.

I don't think we've seen it in anime form yet but there's even a trend of having fantasy series, in "real" fantasy worlds that aren't MMOs or dating sims, that still work on video game rules for some reason. What.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
SAO (season 1) is a death game series.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Honestly "you die in the game, you die in real life" but actually written well and making the whole thing into Lord of the Flies would be pretty good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Honestly "you die in the game, you die in real life" but actually written well and making the whole thing into Lord of the Flies would be pretty good

Runs into the problem that most human beings aren't as deeply warped as British public schoolboys, though. Golding was going for narrower social commentary than most people think.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
doesn't look like a bad adaptation of the style, which is nice, that was what I was most curious about. I wonder how far it'll get into the series.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

man that's either going to be awful or loving awesome
delinquent girls ftw trope

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Trying to cleanly demarcate different genres as if there's no cross-pollination of various aspects is always going to be a fool's errand

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This Troper needs everything to fit into exact definitions. No overlap or vagueness

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean the correct answer is that Isekai has been around forever in fiction/anime/manga but the current trend has little to do with past works and is more it's own thing for a variety of reasons but anime criticism either doesn't want to look that far back or like namtab said wants things to fit into TV trope like web page

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

marumaru posted:

man that's either going to be awful or loving awesome
delinquent girls ftw trope
it's a good series, my only problem is the ending is rushed as hell and could have had a solid epilogue arc to gracefully finish it off, but instead goes from a middling final arc to an abrupt finish in like 2 chapters. other than that it's a solid action romcom, Rokudo is a very good protagonist, and despite how it looks, it's not a harem series.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

it's a good series, my only problem is the ending is rushed as hell and could have had a solid epilogue arc to gracefully finish it off, but instead goes from a middling final arc to an abrupt finish in like 2 chapters. other than that it's a solid action romcom, Rokudo is a very good protagonist, and despite how it looks, it's not a harem series.

I'd argue it's at least harem-adjacent, even if there's one clear-cut main girl.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

No mimics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the interesting thing about the Frodo analogy earlier is that by the end of his adventure Frodo was irreparably scarred by his experience and the only therapy he could get was to get isekai'd again into his words version of heaven, which sounds grimmer than it is? Although there's a lot of overlap between what happened to Frodo and getting carried off by Valkyrie so I dunno.

I don't think it's a waste of time to discuss genre, discussing genre is fun. It can potentially tell us something about how we enjoy fictional works and tells us something about society. It should be obvious what it potentially says when the most popular genre of the current era is "I want to get the gently caress out of this living hell". As Tolkien wrote, the first duty of a prisoner is to escape his captors, perhaps we are all prisoners of our socio economic circumstances.