Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I ordered the first Gotrek and Felix omnibus and they send me the second by accident. Think it's okay to start off with Dragonslayer or should I finangle with Amazon's barely functional return policies? It's from a third party seller so while they'll prolly send me the box to send it back soon it'll be anywhere from six months to six years before they refund or replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Gaunt kinda reminds me of Sam Vimes now that I think about it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

I think I posted this but I think the Vaults is Terra trilogy has supplanted eisenhorn as the new first read recommendation.

Maybe vaults of terra needs a lot of background knowledge that I didn’t notice.

This is something I've thought about a lot as I've been getting friends into the setting and the conclusion I have come to is that Vaults of Terra (and Watcher's) is a great starting point because it's such a high quality series nobody is going to bounce off the setting due to it, but it just hits different if you've read some other stuff and really understand the importance of events more than just having read some 40k Wiki articles. My preferred introduction is Eisenhorn -> Horus Rising then Vaults or something else if they have interest in a specific faction. Eisenhorn is such a great introduction to the lore and then you've gotta read Horus Rising next to really understand the pathos of the setting. If you've read both of those first Vaults just means more because you have a more visceral understanding of the stakes.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

habeasdorkus posted:

Disagree, I read it without having read the Siege and more or less caught up pretty quick, albeit with some jumps over to the lexicanum to catch up on who the various characters were.

I think if you've got a basic overview of the events of the heresy then you probably could skip the Siege stuff and jump right in without really being too lost. That said I think the Siege series is short enough and generally high quality enough that it's worth going through them to not only have the full background in mind but also to actually build up what's happening in terms of your own experience. Personally this conclusion has been 20 years in the writing and I think I'd be losing something if I just skipped the entirety of that build up (not to say you need to read any of the HH stuff as well, just I think there's a reward to going through the Siege series as a whole).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXEwnJbzU4U
Trailer for the Blacktalon series. It looks okay, competent but slightly bland.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So in Angel Exterminatus, Kroeger relives the experiences of a soldier named Karl in the trenches of WW1, and I'm just thinking about how Graham had the potential to create the funniest moment in Black Library history if he'd named him a certain little something else.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/08/minka-lesk-charges-from-page-to-plastic-with-a-stunning-black-library-miniature/

This week's Black Library reveals comes with a little extra, namely a reveal of a Minka Lesk model.

To which I say, about loving time it happened.

Shame I couldn't get through Cadia Stand for a bunch of reasons. Haven't tried the sequels if they're better ot not.

But the actual reveal is she's getting another book, Shadow of the Eighth, as well as an omnibus named Minka Lesk: The Last Whiteshield.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Black Griffon posted:

So in Angel Exterminatus, Kroeger relives the experiences of a soldier named Karl in the trenches of WW1, and I'm just thinking about how Graham had the potential to create the funniest moment in Black Library history if he'd named him a certain little something else.

Such as?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Think he was going for Adolf?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Its true they should have named him "Chad Kroeger"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Syncopated posted:

Think he was going for Adolf?

They were, you get it.

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Its true they should have named him "Chad Kroeger"

Bobby Krogs and his merry band of Khorites

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
End and the Death spoilers: If the plan to turn the Emperor into a god during the Heresy is thwarted, how does that jive with the fact that he's basically exactly that in M41? I mean, he's able to go toe to toe with Nurgle and resurrecting Primarchs and manifesting daemons (saints) all over the place in the current setting.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Paddyo posted:

End and the Death spoilers: If the plan to turn the Emperor into a god during the Heresy is thwarted, how does that jive with the fact that he's basically exactly that in M41? I mean, he's able to go toe to toe with Nurgle and resurrecting Primarchs and manifesting daemons (saints) all over the place in the current setting.

he could already do that pre-heresy. The plan was to turn him into a Chaos god, which either didn’t work or worked and was somehow thwarted by Oll and pals

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Read Volpone Glory by Nick Kyme and it was great. Getting to see the Volpone in their interactions with one another was fun, there was war and politics.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A Nick Kyme Volpone story that isn't hot garbage?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arc Hammer posted:

A Nick Kyme Volpone story that isn't hot garbage?

It's average.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I had a thought that (End and Death spoiler) Basilio Fo's anti-astartes weapon would be such a convenient way to squat all the smolmarines.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

They have to do SOMETHING with it, it's had so much build-up and page space dedicated to it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They have to do SOMETHING with it, it's had so much build-up and page space dedicated to it.

Horus is going to snort all that bioweapon stuff like it was just strong VapoRub and ask for seconds

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Angry Lobster posted:

Horus is going to snort all that bioweapon stuff like it was just strong VapoRub and ask for seconds
One weird trick to resurrect the khan is by rubbing vapo rub on his nose to clear his sinuses. Death Guard hate it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Boltgun that literally just bolts airfreshners to death guard.

The flamers are actually giant febreeze cans.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Flytrap posted:

I ordered the first Gotrek and Felix omnibus and they send me the second by accident. Think it's okay to start off with Dragonslayer or should I finangle with Amazon's barely functional return policies? It's from a third party seller so while they'll prolly send me the box to send it back soon it'll be anywhere from six months to six years before they refund or replace it.
Just try track down the first omnibus again TBH. They're not super long reads.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Finishing up the Watchers of the Throne audiobooks and I liked the more political emphasis and the non-combatant viewpoint with Tyron in the first book and Jeck in the second. What else is like it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok I just finished Mortis and the dislike I had for John Grammaticus in Saturnine is much worse now.

It's entirely because he's written like a 90's videogame character doing a 30's hard boiled noir detective bit and it absolutely clashes with the tone. It comes across a lot like the worst parts of Dr Who.

Also Olly is like, 100% a different character in this book compared to the last one.

I'm sure it gets better.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Robert Rath's a writer for Extra History? That's neat.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

moths posted:

Ok I just finished Mortis and the dislike I had for John Grammaticus in Saturnine is much worse now.

It's entirely because he's written like a 90's videogame character doing a 30's hard boiled noir detective bit and it absolutely clashes with the tone. It comes across a lot like the worst parts of Dr Who.

Also Olly is like, 100% a different character in this book compared to the last one.

I'm sure it gets better.

Mortis just sucks. Easily the worst Siege book by far.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

OPAONI posted:

It's a drat shame too, it easily could have been the best pew pew book of the siege. Just a massive well done Titan story. The ordo sinister was criminally wasted.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I honestly didn't think Mortis was THAT bad.

Until I started to read Warhawk.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I liked Lost and the Damnned a lot because the space marines are mostly not in it. Says something about the series doesn't it?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

D-Pad posted:

it easily could have been the best pew pew book of the siege.

Yeah, that was the bridge scene in Saturnine for a while. The combat scenes in The End and the Death are something else though. The most intense fighting we've seen in 40K fiction so far is in that book. The despair of the defenders, the madness of the attackers clashes in repeated crescendos of violence that have rarely graced the printed page.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

AndyElusive posted:

I honestly didn't think Mortis was THAT bad.

Until I started to read Warhawk.

The Charge scene absolutely rules.

Edit: I have an End and the Death theory. I think Malcador has put a little but of himself in Basilius Fo. There are first person parenthetical asides in his sections that are otherwise written in third person, and the only person in the book that gets first person POV is Malcador. So I think Malcador has a backup plan in Basilius somehow.

OPAONI fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 10, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

OPAONI posted:

That's good to know.

I was even having trouble paying attention to the titan battles, like I'd get a few paragraphs in and realize I was thinking about something else.

I think it also required a lot of outside knowledge as to why Ordo Sinister was regrettable. I still don't really understand why using badass Wizard Titans was a desperation move. Maybe because it disproved the Imperial Truth? Was there any future cost? Nobody knows! They sure make people feel icky though.

Looking forward to Warhawk!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mortis is super duper bad. It’s not the worst siege book now that Garro exists but it’s not remotely good.

My ranking of the siege books so far:

Saturnine
Warhawk
End and the Death vol. 1
Echoes
The solar war
The lost and the damned
Fury of Magnus
The First Wall
Mortis
Garro

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Mortis is super duper bad. It’s not the worst siege book now that Garro exists but it’s not remotely good.

My ranking of the siege books so far:

Saturnine
Warhawk
End and the Death vol. 1
Echoes
The solar war
The lost and the damned
Fury of Magnus
The First Wall
Mortis
Garro

9 books!

9 loving books covering the end of a series that was meant to be a trilogy.

And there is still 1 to go. I really want them to split it as well. Go full hhgttg.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EoMK is on the vengeful spirit already. I can’t imagine it going to 3 volumes. Unless there is a lengthy warp interlude

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

EoMK is on the vengeful spirit already. I can’t imagine it going to 3 volumes. Unless there is a lengthy warp interlude

tbf what if this is what Abnett means in the book itself when the characters realise that Guilliman et al will be a week out forever? The Chaos gods (big GW) will make sure the end is always in sight but not actually coming any closer...

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There is one more novella I believe.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

There is one more novella I believe.

Source? I've seen nothing about that.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Syncopated posted:

tbf what if this is what Abnett means in the book itself when the characters realise that Guilliman et al will be a week out forever? The Chaos gods (big GW) will make sure the end is always in sight but not actually coming any closer...

Groundhog Day: 30k edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

a lovely king posted:

Source? I've seen nothing about that.

Original announcement or an article at some point had 4 novellas and we've only gotten 3. It would be cool if the last one took place after the internment and was just the primarchs and custodes being emo as gently caress.