Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Didn't the Aussies buy a bunch of M1s even though they have no way to transport them off Australia? Or was that just an exaggeration?

no, Australia has C17s that can transport the M1 as well as several landing ships.

of course we didn't have these things before getting the M1s so we needed to spend even more money. How inconvenient!

the other part is that we still can't transport enough M1s to do anything other than provide a symbolic contribution to America's wars, but no part of the Australian military is ever going to be able to do much more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Didn't the Aussies buy a bunch of M1s even though they have no way to transport them off Australia? Or was that just an exaggeration?

Two battalions worth

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

KomradeX posted:

It's not true. At one point, they hadn't yet validated having the Abrams conduct amphibious landings and transport in rougher seas, but they always had the ability to transport Abrams around in ships. The Australian navy has since demonstrated amphibious landings with Abrams.

E: Pretty sure they did the standalone testing a several years ago, then did a major exercise that showed it off a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmrfJhUPW7A

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 04:57 on Mar 8, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

no, Australia has C17s that can transport the M1 as well as several landing ships.

of course we didn't have these things before getting the M1s so we needed to spend even more money. How inconvenient!

the other part is that we still can't transport enough M1s to do anything other than provide a symbolic contribution to America's wars, but no part of the Australian military is ever going to be able to do much more than that.

Thats not fair, Australia has proven that they can commit war crimes just as good as the US, so that's more than just symbolic

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

That was done pretty openly as a political gesture, and the RAN retired the tank landing ships that could carry them iirc.

e: beaten.

It was yet another harebrained Aussie ploy to make America happy tho

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

and the RAN retired the tank landing ships that could carry them iirc.

https://www.navy.gov.au/lhd-landing-craft-llc

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Craft ≠ Ship

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The craft come from the landing ship. LHD Landing Craft is in the name. The Abrams can be transported inside the ship. This is if you need an amphibious landing instead of going port to port on any number of ships.

here is a picture for you.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
that's cute

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

oh good lord you can drive the fuckers on and off about any RORO they’re a lot lighter than some poo poo that goes on mafis or a lot of heavy machinery.

like why do you think ROROs were invented.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Bar Ran Dun posted:

like why do you think ROROs were invented.

For the TOS crew to sing around the campfire.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

mlmp08 posted:

The craft come from the landing ship. LHD Landing Craft is in the name. The Abrams can be transported inside the ship. This is if you need an amphibious landing instead of going port to port on any number of ships.

that’s a tank not a ship genius
e:actually now I’m not sure it might be an apc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
why would you even need a dedicated ship just to make amphibious landings - the ANZACs didn't!!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What they should really do is build amphibious tanks that crawl along the sea floor like in total annihilation

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I agree, building a tank that can't get to its destination seems very shortsighted. And these are supposed to be what, tier 2, or tier 3 units? What are we even spending all these minerals on, smh

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

Good luck, tank!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Slavvy posted:

What they should really do is build amphibious tanks that crawl along the sea floor like in total annihilation

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

Good luck, tank!

tank, but hole

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

The Germans did this with Pz III, iirc.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Turtle Watch posted:

that’s a tank not a ship genius
e:actually now I’m not sure it might be an apc

thats a bmp

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

thats a bmp

file extension says png

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
landing M1s unopposed on hainan soon

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

why would you even need a dedicated ship just to make amphibious landings - the ANZACs didn't!!!

And they famously did really well in their amphibious landings!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

And they famously did really well in their amphibious landings!

The landings were fine. It's everything afterwards that was a problem.

You can sort of compare it to Anzio, in a roundabout way.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
tank loves boat but hates war

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1633410934352891904

new freedom delivery device just dropped

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

The Germans did this with Pz III, iirc.

Lol what

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

general getting hopping mad when all his fancy new uber tanks with snorkels end up buried in silt at the bottom of a river

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Lol what

they were going to use them for operation sealion

literally dropped onto the seabed and then drive and hope you were pointing the right way

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did they do any kind of testing of this idea or was it just another deranged Nazi scheme that couldn't happen

I know Russian tanks from the cold war onwards all have organic river crossing capability but the thought of trying to make a pzIII resist total submersion is another thing entirely

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i think they tested it in so much as they dropped one in a pool of water and it didn't immediately flood

whether it would work when dropped in the channel and you were totally blind and had limited time to reach the coast and then hope you can actually drive up and out... ehhh i would let someone else do it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Yeah, I can't see this going horribly across the English Channel (or anywhere else) at all.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Hubbert posted:

Yeah, I can't see this going horribly across the English Channel (or anywhere else) at all.

better pray the slave labor you got to weld the plates together didnt miss a spot, hans

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmfao that is incredible, cocaine panzer

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They were more of a meth culture at the time

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah like for a river crossing maybe but the loving ocean lmao

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

what happened to the guns

are the wooden tree things supposed to be gun covering tarps?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Lol what

They bolted a snorkel onto a Panzer III, it didn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

with leadership like this, you're always winning
DOD Officials Testify About Homeland Defense Before House Panel

www.defense.gov posted:

. . .Army Gen. Laura J. Richardson, commander of U.S. Southern Command, described the challenges confronting the nations of the hemisphere, which range from actions by China and Russia and run all the way to transnational criminal syndicates.

Richardson emphasized the closeness of ties among the nations of the Western Hemisphere when she addressed the panel. She said the region is still under assault from a host of crosscutting transnational challenges that directly threaten the United States. "In the past year, I've traveled in the region, meeting with leaders to better understand these challenges and the threat they pose to our mutual interests," she said. "The world is at an inflection point: Our partners in the Western Hemisphere with whom we are bonded by trade, shared values, democratic traditions, family ties are feeling the impacts of external interference and coercion."

China continues to expand its economic, diplomatic, technological, informational and military influence in Latin America and the Caribbean, she said. China has the capability and intent to overturn international norms to advance "its brand of authoritarianism and amass power and influence at the expense of these democracies."

China has expanded its ability to extract resources, establish ports, manipulate governments through predatory investment practices and build potential dual-use space facilities, she said.

"Russia — an acute threat — bolsters authoritarian regimes in Cuba, Nicaragua and Venezuela and continues its extensive disinformation campaign," the general said. "These activities undermine democracies and challenge our credibility."

She said both China and Russia exploit the presence of transnational criminal organizations and work to amplify their destabilizing impact on democratic governments, spreading violence and corruption throughout the region and beyond.

"Their fentanyl-laced cocaine contributes to the deaths of Americans in cities and towns across the country," she said. "The good news is that working with our very willing partners leads to the best defense, and we must use all available levers to strengthen our partnerships with the 28, like-minded democracies in this hemisphere, who understand the power of working together to counter these shared challenges."