Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm looking forward to FE18: The biting blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Fire emblem echoes: twin falchions

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Fire Emblem: Divorce

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You mean you don't like the fact that you have a bunch of items that are just Xander's axe, Camilla's spear, Azama's daggers and etc

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Every weapon random rolled at creation for unique stats.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Fates enjoyers are deranged

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Fates enjoyers are deranged

I should play fates, I haven't played it before.

Why shouldn't I in a sentence or two

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

FrickenMoron posted:

Let me play this class, cowards

Is it's weapon icon a baseball?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fates is good, actually

I mean the writing is perhaps the worst in the series but it's a real fun game so I still like it

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Supremezero posted:

Is it's weapon icon a baseball?

It seems to be a bomb or something. Also lol.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I should play fates, I haven't played it before.

Why shouldn't I in a sentence or two

Because you don't hate yourself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My pitch in favor of Fates is just that it has really cool mechanics that are fun to play with. Fates's version of Pair Up is fun and I enjoy working with its class system, even if it's guilty of the "class-hop for skills for 75% of the game" thing that I normally don't like.

I also find Conquest's map design to be fun but that's definitely one of the more divisive elements. I like the attempt to make enemies threatening for reasons other than overwhelming stats, even if it means you have to check their skills carefully to avoid getting gotcha'd, at least on Hard and above. Some people find that exhausting, which I get, but it never felt that way to me.

Birthright and Revelation are both pretty boring though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also the writing is bad, and, worse, boring

except for conquest, whose writing is so bad it loops around to being entertaining again

conquest is worth playing if you enjoy absolutely stupid writing and complex gameplay, but do not bother with the others

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
If you are going to enjoy Fates, you are most likely to enjoy Conquest, yeah. Birthright is just boring and Revelation is bad/tedious gimmicks all the way down. Conquest is polarizing, but lots of people genuinely find it fun and challenging.

It is also the funniest bad story of the three.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The thing about Birthright and Revelation is that their stories have perfectly reasonable starting premises (defecting from the evil empire to help the good guy country stop them, and revealing a truth that will show there's a greater enemy that the two nations need to team up against) but the execution of those stories is so bad that it makes them both stupid and boring.

Conquest, on the other hand, starts from a batshit insane premise: "Let's help the evil empire conquer an entire nation so that we can trick the obviously evil emperor into sitting on a magic chair that will reveal how evil he is because otherwise your siblings won't believe you, and also you only have to do this because the only other person who knows the truth decided to reveal it to you and you alone using a single-use item and you can't do that again. Also we will magically not kill anyone we defeat in combat except the fox people for some reason."

And then it executes on that premise even worse

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

The thing about Birthright and Revelation is that their stories have perfectly reasonable starting premises (defecting from the evil empire to help the good guy country stop them, and revealing a truth that will show there's a greater enemy that the two nations need to team up against) but the execution of those stories is so bad that it makes them both stupid and boring.

Conquest, on the other hand, starts from a batshit insane premise: "Let's help the evil empire conquer an entire nation so that we can trick the obviously evil emperor into sitting on a magic chair that will reveal how evil he is because otherwise your siblings won't believe you, and also you only have to do this because the only other person who knows the truth decided to reveal it to you and you alone using a single-use item and you can't do that again. Also we will magically not kill anyone we defeat in combat except the fox people for some reason."

And then it executes on that premise even worse

Looking at Engage, which is like 100% a new game that wasn’t made with a lot of help from Koei-Tecmo, it’s really obvious how hard Fates dropped the ball on rudimentary things, to the point where you wonder if IS kinda took that to heart when writing Engage.

But to be fair to Fates, your initial goal is to do the stuff your evil dad tells you to to ingratiate yourself to him after being stupid enough to come back to I guess try showing the world that wanton slaughter is the old Nohr, not the new one. You only decide to make him sit on a throne because of extremely convoluted contrived circumstances after peacefully subduing the Cheve uprising, at which point Hans and the boys roll in and start doing war crimes.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I like conquest. I press start when the story cutscenes begin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Looking at Engage, which is like 100% a new game that wasn’t made with a lot of help from Koei-Tecmo, it’s really obvious how hard Fates dropped the ball on rudimentary things, to the point where you wonder if IS kinda took that to heart when writing Engage.

IIRC, Engage has mostly the same development leadership as Fates, so yeah I think it's definitely an evolution on Fates in a lot of ways, both gameplay and story.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
And also not doing multiple routes.

Please do not do multiple routes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I somehow managed to gaslight myself into thinking Conquest was advertised as an internal coup. Is2g I remembered that was supposed to be the premise

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
There were loads of ways “returning to Nohr” could have been framed as as interesting story hook, but Conquest studiously avoids every last one of them. Its original sin is that it cannot bear the idea of the Avatar being morally compromised or ambiguous, and so twists itself into knots to absolve them of anything that could potentially do so (except Kitsune genocide for some reason).

The initial advertising for Fates sold it as more of a Tactics Ogre type of game, and honestly it should have done that if they were committing to multiple routes and factions.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Khizan posted:

I'm a bit torn on weapon durability. It really sucked getting a bunch of cool special weapons that never got used because I couldn't afford to repair them, especially plot-relevant things like Sylvain's Lance of Ruin, and it's nice to get to use every kickass weapon I find. However, I feel like once I get to the midgame it just becomes Killer Weapon Emblem.

I think maybe adding per-map durability to the special weapons would help. Leave Iron/Steel/Silver at infinite durability, though, because I don't want anymore maps where Dimitri goes in with multiple silver lances because I expect him to exhaust at least one of them.

Yeah that would be cool. Just say the characters repair them at the smith between missions. Per-map use is more interesting to me because I have enough information that I feel like I'm making an informed decision.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love the well so much

So far over two battles it has given me 2200 SP worth of skill books :discourse:

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Tired Moritz posted:

I somehow managed to gaslight myself into thinking Conquest was advertised as an internal coup. Is2g I remembered that was supposed to be the premise

I'm like 90% sure we were in fact told Conquest would be a "struggle against and fix the evil empire from within" sort of story, which uh. You purge Hans and Iago at the literal last goddamn minute before the endgame, I guess, but that's about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s sort of funny how this game with its Saturday morning cartoon plot does a much more nuanced and fleshed out take on Fates’ whole conflict between birth family and adopted family thing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not sure they could do a less nuanced take even if they wanted to.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It isn't even birth family vs adopted family because Corrin's only blood relative is assassinated (by them, unwittingly) before the split or always joins in with them.

Its first adopted family vs second adopted family

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought Azura was their cousin and also the only family member to be romanceable without an awkward "I've always had this secret letter saying this isn't incest" line?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

It isn't even birth family vs adopted family because Corrin's only blood relative is assassinated (by them, unwittingly) before the split or always joins in with them.

It is adopted family who actually know them or adopted family that knew corrin for a couple years when they were a baby.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I thought Azura was their cousin and also the only family member to be romanceable without an awkward "I've always had this secret letter saying this isn't incest" line?

Yeah, I phrased it poorly. Azura joins on every route and Garon turns Corrin into a suicide bomber against their mom before the split so dies before you even get the choice of who to side with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

without an awkward "I've always had this secret letter saying this isn't incest"

Note that the existence of this letter is only revealed after you press the button to S-rank someone you've been lead to believe is your blood relative.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Ryoma also knew the whole time, which makes the entire premise of the game really stupid

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zore posted:

The game also chooses to have nearly all dialogue between Corrin and the Hoshidan siblings come off like Mikoto is their biological mother instead of just being Corrin's mother (and by extension, their stepmother). Ikona, the actual biological mother of the Hoshidan siblings, is practically stuffed into the Phantom Zone and you only find out her name via the Records Hall or through...Ryoma's A support with Corrin, IIRC.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I decided to start a Maddening Ironman run. Bouche died in Chapter 5, I forgot that the generic swordguys are backup and that killed him. Random growths on Maddening feel so wrong too, my Alear has refused to gain hp on every levelup so far and has gained 4 mag instead.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
PSA there is a new bug in 1.3 with maddening. It only affects you if it's your very first run of the game and you never finished any other run.

Instead of fixed growths you now have random ones. And already recruited characters in a run in progress won't change but your new ones will.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The game itself is simply trying to prevent people from using the heresy that is fixed growths.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just random thought as I'm playing this, is that risky/inaccurate weapons like axes have basically gotten an indirect buff with the now-standard inclusion of the Divine Pulse. By that I mean: I'm way more likely to use a 60% Killer Axe swing on a boss, when a miss would kill my unit, if I have some rewinds in my pocket. If I couldn't rewind there's no way I would risk it at the end of an hour-long chapter, so it changes how I approach the game and makes certain characters/weapons much more valuable to me. I wonder if IS thinks about this when they're balancing stuff.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So uh, what's the strat for 24?

Past Alear just runs up and lodestar rushes someone to death while dodging everything. Then on his life bar does 3 hits to anything with 45 damage each. Despite playing on casual so no units stay dead I still want to do it deathless and he seems kinda overtuned.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Past Alear just runs up and lodestar rushes someone to death while dodging everything. Then on his life bar does 3 hits to anything with 45 damage each. Despite playing on casual so no units stay dead I still want to do it deathless and he seems kinda overtuned.

As far as bait, send someone with Roy to Hold Out, they literally can't die as long as it's just that one combat interaction.

You should have more than enough offensive power to kill via Seadal+Byleth dance at that point, after a Corrin debuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

A few options.

Corrin can create water terrain which reduces dodge if you put it under Alear's tile. That also gets rid of the bonus he has from fog.

You can also load up a character with high defense near him and engage them. Engaging causes you to take less damage from an Engage attack so Alear will walk up to you and flail uselessly into your Louis/whatever. Additionally you can position Veyle and Alear next to that character for -4 damage taken per attack if you need it.

You can also try a Byleth goddess dance/seadall dance rushdown as well.