Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Defiance Industries posted:

I don't remember the range on using AMS to engage missile flights aimed at someone else, if you use that optional rule. But that might also be a point in the Komodo's favor.

You know, now that AMS isn't useless garbage.

Indeed, now that you no longer have to worry about using up your entire ammo reserve in one go like with the original rules for AMS, it does a lot better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Wraith is one of the best 'mechs period, forget about simply light hunting with it, you can threaten most things.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The only thing it isn't great at engaging is infantry; but it can evade them with ease. It's one of those rare IS 'mechs that's really well optimized, it does exactly enough without doing so much that it becomes extremely expensive BV-wise.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Anything that is the same speed (or better) than the thing you're protecting, and accurate (either hit mods or short range band that is long with a small or zero minimum range) is going to be able to do the job of discouraging ambitious light mechs. It's easy to fall into the assumption that you must be able to beat them at their own game but really what you need to be able to do is make their approach too dangerous.

Whether that's occupying a good heavy woods hex so they can't and forcing them to take shots at dangerous numbers, forcing their approach to end at good ranges for your "vulnerable" charges, or outright hunting them down, the only outcome that defines a success is your poo poo isn't dead.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's true too. Even the humble and oft-maligned Blackjack is good enough to screen for Archers or Catapults. It can keep up with them, can contribute a little bit at their preferred ranges, and four medium lasers is a strong enough deterrant if positioned well. It's also a low priority target for most people so chances are pretty good it'll contribute something.

It's just not quick enough to guarantee good positioning so it requires more advanced planning.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Played another game with the same two students I taught last week. My school keeps cancelling activity period during the day due to the number of teachers who take off on Mondays, which means most kids who are interested can't come, and don't have rides for after school, but those two kids are really interested. The one has already gotten into the lore A LOT (He says House Marik is his favorite because of the Stewart Noble Family, same last name as his, hates the Capellans because they're a "dictatorship", and thinks the Feddies are all poor, his words not mine). I let them build their own 200 pt AS forces this time, and joined them in the a 3-way battle. Should've made it 2 v 1, as that would've sped the game up a lot more. They're really getting the concepts of positioning for maximal shots, trying to go around to get rear arc hits, and pulling back when part of their force is outmatched. I also kept making Non-Aggression Pacts then backstabbing them to keep the game from going too lopsided, taught them real quick the importance of not letting enemies into their rear arcs.

Lot of fun, really hope the other kids can make it during an activity period so I can expand the playing pool. Going to let them try out some of my Clan mechs next since I have more of them painted, and painted DIFFERENT colors.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 7, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

The only thing it isn't great at engaging is infantry; but it can evade them with ease. It's one of those rare IS 'mechs that's really well optimized, it does exactly enough without doing so much that it becomes extremely expensive BV-wise.
If infantry are threathening your missile boats then you have made significant errors and not single bodyguard mech will save you.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My SO found a copy of the Alien Worlds map pack and I really like it. Aside from the art being nice, I like how they weren't just basic maps with different colors but have new types of terrain and special rules and suggested battlefield conditions.

It and the Tukayyid map pack gives me hope for the TacOps map pack I've always wanted, where each double-sized map has a theme focused around a couple of advanced terrain types. Like a farm map with planted fields and dirt roads, a quarry map with gravel piles and sheer cliffs, a factory map with heavy industrial hexes, buildings with open spaces and doors, and toxic pools. Stuff like that.

Though the fact that there are so many new basic maps available also makes me happy. There was a 15 year period or so with no new map products and no proper reprints. I thought the hexpacks were neat but I wasn't super keen on the 25th anniversary box-style map boards, and the printable PDF maps were too cost prohibitive to print nicely - and both were short-lived and only contained the most basic of maps.

I guess there was a period where most of the people even interested in the games were old school players who already had all those maps so there wasn't a market for them. I asked on the forums and the official reply was "it's too hard to make maps and also they are not profitable" so I'm glad they got over that

edit: I think there are now more unique map sheets produced in the last few years than there were in the entire run of the game by FASA and Fanpro

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 7, 2023

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The massively increased player base (and the willingness to abandon cardboard in favour of returning to paper) made map sets viable again. There's another reprint set in the works that will return some old favourites, plus an urban-themed set, so the map goodness will continue. I agree that the recent upsurge is great, because maps are probably the most underappreciated item in BT: they really expand the available gameplay options.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah, different terrain really makes a big difference. Even just simple maps with the basic terrain types in different places can massively change how things play out. And the alien maps go even further and change some of the basic assumptions, like the fungal map making high places and forests a little more risky. I hope that "Ultra Sublevels" make it into more maps :allears:

I also hope those reissues include the map "BattleTech." It's true that I've played so many games on the pair of maps that came with my 4th Edition box that they bore me a little, but it would be neat to see them with new art.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Pretty sure my son is now old enough and familiar enough with the rules that I can start attempting to recreate The Crescent Hawk's Revenge in tabletop form, or a near enough approximation. He'll start with 1-2 battered mechs and has to survive scenarios to get better mechs and earn repairs. Then I'll drop the Clans on him to up the difficulty of the scenarios and introduce more complex equipment.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The problem with using the Komodo as a screen is that you can get a Wraith for cheaper.

I change most of my answers to the Wraith. The Watchman's still cheaper, BV wise, but few things will deter ambitious light 'Mechs as well as a Wraith.

Counterpoint: if you have a Wraith and you're keeping it back to babysit an Archer, you're probably using the Wraith wrong.

(Though yes as said, the Wraith is the right answer to like 75% of the questions about what mech to use.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ral Partha UK still have a bunch of maps from broken up mapsets floating around, if you're desperate for paper maps. My giant collection of them from various people ditching their stuff in a local game store is now in storage at home, so for £1-2 per item I grabbed what they had.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I ordered some non-BT stuff from Ral Partha Europe just a bit back (still waiting because they all got ill :( ) and intended to include some of those maps in the order but I couldn’t find them anymore. The entire category is just gone.

Edit: drat it was it you who bought all of them??? :argh:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 7, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Anyone got the skinny on why the Rangefinger widget wasn't included in the AS boxset? Was it because that extra sheaf of cardboard would csuse issues?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a cyborg mug posted:

I ordered some non-BT stuff from Ral Partha Europe just a bit back (still waiting because they all got ill :( ) and intended to include some of those maps in the order but I couldn’t find them anymore. The entire category is just gone.

Edit: drat it was it you who bought all of them??? :argh:
Heck, might have been. I know they took about two weeks to ship my order and then the more recent order with just minis was shipped basically the next day. They are super nice though so maybe email 'em and ask if they've still got some lying around? They've ditched old stock for free in my orders in the past.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Tempest_56 posted:

Counterpoint: if you have a Wraith and you're keeping it back to babysit an Archer, you're probably using the Wraith wrong.

(Though yes as said, the Wraith is the right answer to like 75% of the questions about what mech to use.)

How should I be using a screening unit?

I had a game where I ran a nightstar and viking and spent way too much dealing with lights taking potshots at their side and rear arc. Was going to bring a cheap unit along to screen them and at least protect the rear arcs while the snipers focus on the enemy heavy hitters.

\/ This was a BV fight so I had an Awesome and Mercury as well, Awesome was up front more, and the mercury died really fast. If i had to redo, Id probably not bring the mercury and downgrade something else to fit a Wraith

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 7, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I guess it depends on how many other units have you got? If it's a lance v lance fight and you've got one screener to distract from two snipers, what's your last mech going to achieve?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

How should I be using a screening unit?

Generally the purpose of a screening unit is to make the other side give your long ranged units some space to do their job. It wants to hang around in the mix with the long ranged stuff and be a deterrent so attackers think twice about if they really want to get close, and to punish them if they do.

As an example if I've got an enemy that's mostly slower, I frequently like to put a Hunchback in with my Archers and Catapults. The math of "Would I rather stay at range and be in the prime range for 40 LRMs, or get close and be in the prime range of an AC20?" is kind of your goal with that. (I find that the AC20 is great as a deterrent psychologically even if it isn't mechanically the best choice.)

quote:

I had a game where I ran a nightstar and viking and spent way too much dealing with lights taking potshots at their side and rear arc. Was going to bring a cheap unit along to screen them and at least protect the rear arcs while the snipers focus on the enemy heavy hitters.

In this case, you probably want something with a 5/8/5 or 6/9/6 movement profile. Jumpjets to quickly reposition, fast enough to get where it needs to be, beefier than most of the stuff it's up against. Jenners, Firestarters, Phoenix Hawks, Wolverines, that sort of thing. (I had real success in 3025-era games with the Whitworth -1S, because 3xML/2xSRM6 that jumps is quite potent for how cheap it is.)

Just have the screen chill between your fire support and the enemy, or in the middle of your mechs if they've got you surrounded. Keep moving to keep the BTH high, but don't actually travel far. You want to be in a spot where if a light jumps in behind your fire support mech, you can move in to punish. Most lights can only take a salvo or two of counter-fire before they're in serious trouble.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Unless it's a particularly dangerous light, you might be able to just outright ignore them. No Nightstar is ever going to care about taking a single LPPC in the back and you have better things to point your guns at.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like to have a tough and hard to ignore "pariah" unit charge ahead to draw fire away from things that are a lot more vulnerable to getting shot. I've used the Archangel Dominus to this effect very well. I have it charge ahead front and center and have my other units find firing positions with cover. Ignoring it means showing your back to a pair of heavy PPCs. Shooting it means odds are it will eat up many turns of fire before going down while everything else is unhindered.

I also like to have a fast jumpy pulsy unit like a Preta Luminos or Wraith that can backstab enemies or duel with enemy backstabbers to keep them off my other things. Screening is better when you actively intercept things rather than hope it acts as a passive deterrent.

With that pairing I've had games where my other units with deep ammo pools have actually run dry without taking any damage because the other team got so hung up on those two. Like I had an ARC-9W in a woods with its Void Signature System expend all its ammo (12 turns) without ever being targeted, though the cover and stealth system clearly helped make it a less enticing target. I've even had AS7-K Atlases (yes, the dumb highly suboptimal one) spend all their gauss and LRM ammo without taking significant damage. Works pretty good.

edit: CRD-7L Crusader with semi-guided LRM ammo and a supporting squad of Djinns (jump 4 with TAG) is also on my list of things to try

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 7, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

BattleMaster posted:

I like to have a tough and hard to ignore "pariah" unit charge ahead to draw fire away from things that are a lot more vulnerable to getting shot. I've used the Archangel Dominus to this effect very well. I have it charge ahead front and center and have my other units find firing positions with cover. Ignoring it means showing your back to a pair of heavy PPCs. Shooting it means odds are it will eat up many turns of fire before going down while everything else is unhindered.

This strategy is officially endorsed by The Society.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Anyone got the skinny on why the Rangefinger widget wasn't included in the AS boxset? Was it because that extra sheaf of cardboard would csuse issues?

I'm not sure which widget you're referring to specifically, but I did see in the recent previews that they're putting out a counters pack for Alpha Strike that includes all of the cardboard from the box and then some additional sheets. My guess is that it's in this set to incentivize people who bought the AS boxset to double-dip.

Last night I started printing sheets and planning for my little "Crescent Hawks" recreation. I realized I don't have a Griffin, so I decided to sub it out with a Centurion. If we have time tonight, my kid will be defending a bridge from a Locust using a beat up Jenner.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm not sure which widget you're referring to specifically, but I did see in the recent previews that they're putting out a counters pack for Alpha Strike that includes all of the cardboard from the box and then some additional sheets. My guess is that it's in this set to incentivize people who bought the AS boxset to double-dip.

Last night I started printing sheets and planning for my little "Crescent Hawks" recreation. I realized I don't have a Griffin, so I decided to sub it out with a Centurion. If we have time tonight, my kid will be defending a bridge from a Locust using a beat up Jenner.

weird rear end GW tactics

usually they do that with the models. I honestly thought it was something to do with the weight, because my own experiences working in shipping recently, poo poo is insane. 0.1 grams over this limit? Yeah it's going to cost 70 dollars to ship not 20 :DDDDDDDDDD

That is canada but afaik thats how it is everywhere

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's probably it. Either that, or they didn't have any bulk order agreements with any companies making pocket tape measures.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Or it was developed after the box set went to print almost a year ago.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I saw someone post a screenshot from MW2. When did the Timber Wolf's tonnage change?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
It was always 75, 65 is the max tonnage for the mission.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
MW2 let you view every 'Mech in the roster from the start, but would only let you deploy up to a certain tonnage.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There is a 55 ton Mad Cat III. It's cute. Except for the MWDA miniature, which begs for a merciful death.

Please. Kill me.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
hosed up tiny timber wolf

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

General Battuta posted:

There is a 55 ton Mad Cat III. It's cute. Except for the MWDA miniature, which begs for a merciful death.

Please. Kill me.

that mech is fine, just too tall.

Don't make me find all the OG Battlemechs that are literally squares that walk.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Strapping guns to boxes is the true Clan aesthetic. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Better to do something simple and succeed than completely gently caress up like that thing

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

that mech is fine, just too tall.

Don't make me find all the OG Battlemechs that are literally squares that walk.

Like spheroid dropships, the squares that walk may not be pretty but at least they are probably closer to something that would work in real life

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

weird rear end GW tactics

usually they do that with the models. I honestly thought it was something to do with the weight, because my own experiences working in shipping recently, poo poo is insane. 0.1 grams over this limit? Yeah it's going to cost 70 dollars to ship not 20 :DDDDDDDDDD

That is canada but afaik thats how it is everywhere

I mean, I'm still not sure which component you're talking about specifically, so it's possible it's not even in that upcoming set for Alpha Strike. The "components pack" seems to be pretty standard now too across game companies, not just GW. It's good for people who only have the hardcover book and didn't get the boxset. Maybe they didn't need the minis, maybe they didn't want the intro rules pamphlet, who knows. I also really like the stupid cardboard terrain in the boxset, so having a convenient way to buy more of it is great in my opinion. If there's a bonus widget, even better.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Floppychop posted:

a screenshot from MW2

In addition to the other comments - look at the bottom of the left text box.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Volkova III posted:

In addition to the other comments - look at the bottom of the left text box.

Turns out reading is a good skill to have.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Strobe posted:

Or it was developed after the box set went to print almost a year ago.

Well, no, because it's based on one from a fan podcast and they've been giving them out for free at tournaments for 3+ years. So it's probably poppynin's one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

Better to do something simple and succeed than completely gently caress up like that thing

It's got character, it looks like a Mad Cat but lighter. It's not going to get confused for something else.

Meanwhile, OG BattleTech...

Boxy robot.

Slightly smaller boxy robot.

Boxy robot with round arms

BIG boxy robot with Joe Cool shades

What if... Boxy robot had round cockpit and big gun?!?

No one who's an OG Battletech fan gets to complain about clix sculpts. Your complaint card is revoked.