Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is last to drop out of the primary before trump is nominated?
This poll is closed.
desantis 128 29.91%
rubio 33 7.71%
haley 57 13.32%
goku 210 49.07%
Total: 358 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
is andrew tate a cigar guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/msjpauly/status/1633500305672511491

On a Saturday afternoon in August 2019, South Dakota Republican state Rep. Fred Deutsch sent an email to 18 anti-trans activists, doctors, and lawyers with the text of a bill he planned to introduce that would make it a felony for doctors to give transgender children under 16 gender-affirming medical care. “I have no doubt this will be an uphill battle when we get to session,” Deutsch warned the group. “As always, please do not share this with the media. The longer we can fly under the radar the better.”

The message was one in a trove of emails obtained by Mother Jones between Deutsch and representatives of a network of activists and organizations at the forefront of the anti-trans movement. They show the degree to which these activists shaped Deutsch’s repressive legislation, a version of which was signed into law in February, and the tactics, alliances, and goals of a movement that has sought to foist their agenda on a national scale.

In messages back and forth, some members of the group pushed Deutsch to make the bill even more restrictive. Vernadette Broyles, the president and general counsel of a Georgia-based law firm called the Child & Parental Rights Campaign, urged him to raise the age threshold to 18. Broyles, who is also affiliated with the conservative Christian legal powerhouse Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), warned that other religious-right groups might not support the bill if “you start by giving away 16 and 17-year olds right from the outset.” Others, including Andre Van Mol—a member of a fringe, conservative doctors group that calls itself the American College of Pediatricians (ACPeds)—raised concerns that the bill as written might backfire by accidentally blocking healthcare providers from “attempting to change…a child’s perception of their sex” when kids identify as transgender. Deutsch agreed to rewrite the section.

At the time, there was little precedent for such bills, and Deutsch’s legislation, called the Vulnerable Child Protection Act, was killed in the Senate after doctors showed up at the South Dakota statehouse to argue they should not be sent to prison for following the medical consensus. “Though our session in SD is now over and our efforts to protect gender-confused vulnerable children failed, I continue to receive ugly email and social media posts,” Deutsch complained to the group in March 2020.

“Please do not say that the South Dakota effort failed!!” Margaret Clarke, general counsel for the Alabama branch of the Phyllis Schlafly–founded Eagle Forum, replied. “You successfully inspired, encouraged and counseled numerous VCAP [sic] efforts around the country. You established the ideal witness list that we are all still following in our individual states…And, most importantly you connected us all to each other. This is just the beginning.”

Indeed, Deutsch’s bill has proved influential in the recent surge of anti-LGBTQ lawmaking. This legislative session, at least 18 states have considered bills containing language closely resembling the text of the Vulnerable Child Protection Act.

tacodaemon has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Mar 8, 2023

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Bethamphetamine posted:

Trump had his WaPo case finally thrown out.

which one was this?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
TOTAL EXONERATION

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

imagine if we did 911 to ourselves... the content for years would be hilarious..

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Of course schlafly is involved

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

it’s a 2 hour flight from Boise to Spokane

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

one time I got upgraded to first class for free

the flight? seattle to spokane lmao

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

vibes based reasoning

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
Bread Liar

19 o'clock posted:

yeah but you know those ladies, you gotta control everything they do otherwise they eyeball other dudes who could make them happy and we just can't have that g@y poo poo

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Consummate Professional posted:

one time I got upgraded to first class for free

the flight? seattle to spokane lmao

lol

I found a screaming deal on a first class upgrade from Indonesia to Japan once ($100 or some such). people are not meant to live that well.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

On a Saturday afternoon in August 2019, South Dakota Republican state Rep. Fred Deutsch sent an email to 18 anti-trans activists, doctors, and lawyers with the text of a bill he planned to introduce that would make it a felony for doctors to give transgender children under 16 gender-affirming medical care. “I have no doubt this will be an uphill battle when we get to session,” Deutsch warned the group. “As always, please do not share this with the media. The longer we can fly under the radar the better.”

The message was one in a trove of emails obtained by Mother Jones between Deutsch and representatives of a network of activists and organizations at the forefront of the anti-trans movement. They show the degree to which these activists shaped Deutsch’s repressive legislation, a version of which was signed into law in February, and the tactics, alliances, and goals of a movement that has sought to foist their agenda on a national scale.

In messages back and forth, some members of the group pushed Deutsch to make the bill even more restrictive. Vernadette Broyles, the president and general counsel of a Georgia-based law firm called the Child & Parental Rights Campaign, urged him to raise the age threshold to 18. Broyles, who is also affiliated with the conservative Christian legal powerhouse Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), warned that other religious-right groups might not support the bill if “you start by giving away 16 and 17-year olds right from the outset.” Others, including Andre Van Mol—a member of a fringe, conservative doctors group that calls itself the American College of Pediatricians (ACPeds)—raised concerns that the bill as written might backfire by accidentally blocking healthcare providers from “attempting to change…a child’s perception of their sex” when kids identify as transgender. Deutsch agreed to rewrite the section.

At the time, there was little precedent for such bills, and Deutsch’s legislation, called the Vulnerable Child Protection Act, was killed in the Senate after doctors showed up at the South Dakota statehouse to argue they should not be sent to prison for following the medical consensus. “Though our session in SD is now over and our efforts to protect gender-confused vulnerable children failed, I continue to receive ugly email and social media posts,” Deutsch complained to the group in March 2020.

“Please do not say that the South Dakota effort failed!!” Margaret Clarke, general counsel for the Alabama branch of the Phyllis Schlafly–founded Eagle Forum, replied. “You successfully inspired, encouraged and counseled numerous VCAP [sic] efforts around the country. You established the ideal witness list that we are all still following in our individual states…And, most importantly you connected us all to each other. This is just the beginning.”

Indeed, Deutsch’s bill has proved influential in the recent surge of anti-LGBTQ lawmaking. This legislative session, at least 18 states have considered bills containing language closely resembling the text of the Vulnerable Child Protection Act.

“It was like Deutsch assembled a team of Navy SEALs—we were all trained killers in a specialty,” says Elisa Rae Shupe, a retired US Army soldier who became a vocal anti-trans advocate and participated in Deutsch’s working group after detransitioning. Shupe has since retransitioned, disavowed much of her old activism, and shared her copies of the working group’s emails with reporters. Religious-right rhetoric about wanting to help children with gender dysphoria is “just a front for what they do behind the scenes,” she says. “It’s like they want to do as much damage to the trans community as they can.”

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

going somewhere with a woman you have an intimate relationship with? that's gay as gently caress

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

19 o'clock posted:

fellas, is it gay to be a man with a girlfriend?

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Louisgod posted:

yeah but you know those ladies, you gotta control everything they do otherwise they eyeball other dudes who could make them happy and we just can't have that g@y poo poo

what i see when scanning for potential mates

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

going somewhere with a woman you have an intimate relationship with? that's gay as gently caress

many people are saying this!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Louisgod posted:

that is a very valid point

having girlfriends is hard unless you’re rich go figure

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's cool how my cat (a tuxedo jimbee named Luna) is physically addicted to Temptations treat

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

tacodaemon posted:

“It was like Deutsch assembled a team of Navy SEALs—we were all trained killers in a specialty,” says Elisa Rae Shupe, a retired US Army soldier who became a vocal anti-trans advocate and participated in Deutsch’s working group after detransitioning. Shupe has since retransitioned, disavowed much of her old activism, and shared her copies of the working group’s emails with reporters. Religious-right rhetoric about wanting to help children with gender dysphoria is “just a front for what they do behind the scenes,” she says. “It’s like they want to do as much damage to the trans community as they can.”

Goddamn closet-cases are always the loving worst.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
you tellin' me a brus sel'd these sprouts?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Peer-reviewed studies have repeatedly found that trans and nonbinary youth with access to gender-affirming care are significantly less like to seriously consider suicide than those who did not receive such care. A larger analysis, using online survey data from over 11,000 trans and nonbinary youth, found using gender-affirming hormonal therapy was associated with lower rates of both depression and suicidality. Yet one team member called the argument that gender-affirming care reduces suicide “abusive”; another argued it was a way for doctors to coerce parents to consent to gender-affirming care for their child.

Van Mol, the doctor, suggested Deutsch reply to the suicide prevention argument with a rebuttal published on a defunct anti-trans blog: “Why weren’t the 1950s a total blood bath for suicides if non-affirmation of everything is the fast train to offing one’s self?” Van Mol asked, paraphrasing the blog post.

Another doctor in the working group, California endocrinologist Michael Laidlaw, had gained attention for his writing against gender-affirming care after parents at a charter school in his region raised complaints that they hadn’t been notified before kindergarteners were read a children’s book, I Am Jazz, about trans teenager Jazz Jennings. Last fall, when the state of Florida called on Laidlaw as an expert witness in a lawsuit over its anti-trans Medicaid policy, a federal judge concluded that he was “far off from the accepted view” on how to treat gender dysphoria, in part because Laidlaw had said he would refuse to use patients’ preferred pronouns. In his South Dakota testimony, Laidlaw compared gender-affirming care to Nazi experimentation and the Tuskegee Syphilis Study.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Nobody's perfect

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1633548066753249280

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

emfive posted:

I do Pailin's brussels sprouts in a wok all at once, none of that "only a few at a time" stuff, and it works fine.

It woks fine lol

Also instead of her fish sauce + syrup thing (which is very very good, don't get me wrong) you can use balsamic vinegar with some sugar and also salt; the fish sauce is salty so you don't necessarily need salt with that.

Wow I didn't even know Sarah Pailin could cook.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

day crew, go to sleep.... nite crew is here early today

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

lol!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Does anybody know anything about the catholic App named FORMED?

I was reading about some crazy right wing catholic app weeks ago and I don't remember its name

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

TROOF

Has anybody noticed that everyone wants to go after, and destroy, TIKTOK due to China influence and National Security. When I wanted to disable TIKTOK 3 years ago, I was met with opposition from RINOS to Democrats to everyone else. They actually went to court in an effort to stop me. Now they realize I was right, and have changed their tune. Sadly, I’ve been right about everything!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The 'they' in 'They actually went to court in an effort to stop me.' refers to TikTok.

I love his utter lack of differentiation in all matters. A true narcissist

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

And in South Dakota, Deutsch finally won the long battle this February, when Gov. Kristi Noem signed an updated version of his bill. The new law strips licenses from doctors who provide minors with gender-affirming care, and requires health care providers to gradually cut off puberty blockers and hormones for any kids they are already treating. That provision is expected to force some South Dakota teens to medically detransition by the end of 2023.

Deutsch returned to Twitter in February to celebrate the signing of the South Dakota ban. “This concludes the effort I began three years ago,” he tweeted, along with a picture of lawmakers toasting. “Many good people have worked to protect our children.”

here's the text of the South Dakota legislation requiring doctors to withdraw healthcare from vulnerable teenagers gradually, permanently destroying their bodies, by the end of the year:

if reading that doesn't make you sick I don't know what will

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
this poo poo is real today

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

fellas, is it gay for men to love women? recent studies point to yes

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

LegoMan posted:

fellas, is it gay for men to love women? recent studies point to yes

very very very

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

19 o'clock posted:

fuckin :same:

this headcold is the worst, and a hot shower (or sauna if you have a gym membership) feels like the best hug in the world

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

here's the text of the South Dakota legislation requiring doctors to withdraw healthcare from vulnerable teenagers gradually, permanently destroying their bodies, by the end of the year:

if reading that doesn't make you sick I don't know what will

as Erin Reed wrote, think of the kids who have been living as their preferred gender since elementary school and how this will require their doctors to destroy them:

Medical detransition will mean extremely distressing changes for trans youth, many of whom have lived as their gender for most of their lives. A 16 year old transgender girl who has identified as a girl since early childhood may see her voice drop and facial hair grow under this law. This is particularly cruel to transgender kids who have been receiving care for a long time and who are known as their gender by all of the peers and adults in their lives. It is also extremely dangerous - transgender people who are stealth (hiding their transgender status) may find themselves unable to maintain their level of stealth given changes to their body.

anyway, here are the SD lawmakers celebrating this victory in permanently destroying kids' lives:

tacodaemon has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Mar 8, 2023

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

19 o'clock posted:

drat been there

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1633575221465874434

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://twitter.com/bobby/status/1633527083023343617?s=46&t=z3uF6wUvSqPNGhOasO9PNQ

gimbson jimbeerson

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MORE JIMBEE!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

"Parents should be able to be the only ones who make decisions for their kids... except when we don't like those decisions"