Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Games like Wizardry are called "blobbers." That's fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

christmas boots posted:

Well in movies you have spaghetti (Italy) westerns as well, but that really does seem to be a very specifically distinct genre at least visually.

I did see someone suggest that superhero movies should just be called Hamburger Shonens

Cool, not video game genres

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

The first two are too vague for my liking, what's a "non-story" driven RPG? Maybe Linear Narrative RPG?

Anime RPG doesn't seem functionally any different than JRPG except now you're just using anime as shorthand for Japan.

Non-story driven: Various rogue-likes, the various Souls games, pokemon to some extent depending on the generation. Basically "The plot is an excuse" games.

And as far as anime goes, at least it's not explicitly naming a country (ignoring the fact that you have stuff that is considered anime that has either been made in the west or a collaboration between eastern and western studios) as an entire descriptor.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A simple “jrpg” label isn’t quite clear enough to keep the anime at bay - genshin impact is not from Japan or a turn based RPG but still must be kept far from me at all times.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's why I specified movie, yes

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Randalor posted:

Non-story driven: Various rogue-likes, the various Souls games, pokemon to some extent depending on the generation. Basically "The plot is an excuse" games.

And as far as anime goes, at least it's not explicitly naming a country (ignoring the fact that you have stuff that is considered anime that has either been made in the west or a collaboration between eastern and western studios) as an entire descriptor.

Anime RPG is exactly the same as JPRG because it's just subbing Anime in for Japan, thus reducing an entire country to a single facet of pop culture. You are exactly the thing you are pretending to fight against.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Improbable Lobster posted:

Eurojank

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

christmas boots posted:

That's why I specified movie, yes

Yeah, they're irrelevant, I agree

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

That's a way of life

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Anime RPG is exactly the same as JPRG because it's just subbing Anime in for Japan, thus reducing an entire country to a single facet of pop culture. You are exactly the thing you are pretending to fight against.

There are cartoons widely considered to be anime made outside of Japan and its a term that doesn't single out a specific country. I'm not the one that first suggested it, I just listed it with other terms people could use to describe RPGs that doesn't say "This game is from Japan, even if it's not from Japan".

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Randalor posted:

There are cartoons widely considered to be anime made outside of Japan

Gonna go out on a limb and guess that you work for Netflix

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There's a handful, but anime is still overwhelmingly associated with Japan to the point that I don't think it meaningfully avoids the issue with the original term.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

could probably ask a couple more Japanese devs what they think about it

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ookiimarukochan posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and guess that you work for Netflix

Don't be ridiculous. Clearly I work for WB and personally killed Teen Titans.

christmas boots posted:

There's a handful, but anime is still overwhelmingly associated with Japan to the point that I don't think it meaningfully avoids the issue with the original term.

That's fair, I was just including it because OPAONI suggested it earlier. Cartoon-RPG work better?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Britpop, Americanada, K-Pop,

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

hawowanlawow posted:

could probably ask a couple more Japanese devs what they think about it

What, and give them the chance to Japan-splain some more? :rolleyes:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I like RPGs from Japan

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Randalor posted:

There are cartoons widely considered to be anime made outside of Japan and its a term that doesn't single out a specific country. I'm not the one that first suggested it, I just listed it with other terms people could use to describe RPGs that doesn't say "This game is from Japan, even if it's not from Japan".

My point is that Anime RPG is dismissive of Japanese developers in exactly the same way YoshiP was saying JRPG is. It's saying "everything those people make is anime". It makes you sound like a hypocrite just using this discussion as a cudgel to feel superior to people, rather than someone actually trying to find a solution to the stated issue. Because changing a term isn't going to fix racism in the gaming world, but actually addressing that is a long process that won't give you the instant high of a quick internet burn.

Randalor posted:

That's fair, I was just including it because OPAONI suggested it earlier. Cartoon-RPG work better?

Cartoon as a genre has a long history of dismissive and belittling tones so again you're just swapping words around without changing intent at all.

Crowetron has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Mar 8, 2023

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

What, and give them the chance to Japan-splain some more? :rolleyes:

well it would definitely be more interesting than reading someone not-from-Japan-splain it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Randalor posted:

Don't be ridiculous. Clearly I work for WB and personally killed Teen Titans.

Eh, I'm not really sold on the idea of breaking it down by visual aesthetics. I think looking at mechanics, gameplay, or even how railroaded the narrative is might be a better way of breaking things down. I don't think you'll get everything we've historically called a "JRPG" under one definition and honestly I think that's for the best anyway.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Britpop, Americanada, K-Pop,

J-pop, j-rock, j-horror, j-cinema.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Jesus Christ, just don't use the term JRPG; I don't get why so many of you have to be so stupid about this.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Perhaps we should work on some unwieldy acronym like MMORPG to replace the already amorphous and vague and sprawling umbrella term? I'm really surprised that stuck around. Do people call them "morpigs"? I've never heard anyone phoneticize it but I imagine it would sound like that if someone did.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

credburn posted:

Perhaps we should work on some unwieldy acronym like MMORPG to replace the already amorphous and vague and sprawling umbrella term? I'm really surprised that stuck around. Do people call them "morpigs"? I've never heard anyone phoneticize it but I imagine it would sound like that if someone did.

Wow clones

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leave posted:

Jesus Christ, just don't use the term JRPG; I don't get why so many of you have to be so stupid about this.

I agree that we should differentiate them by calling them "Good RPGS", I just think Anime RPG or Cartoon RPG are exactly as dismissive as JRPG.

credburn posted:

FF14-likes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

credburn posted:

Live Service Games

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Leave posted:

But some people in this very thread are against having an any word, that classifies a distinct style of games coming from this particular geographic location.
No words, no problems.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just call them "late for dinner"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

I just call them "late for dinner"

NO! Call them anything else, just not that!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Issaries posted:

But some people in this very thread are against having an any word, that classifies a distinct style of games coming from this particular geographic location.
No words, no problems.

SQERPG? square and enix pretty much invented the genre and given the term metroidvania, people don't have a problem using trademarked names to name genres.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Next thing on the stand is K-pop.

Edit: SquartPG

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Mar 8, 2023

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Aside from the clunky way it rolls off the tongue, that's the first descriptor name I've liked.

SqueePG? No that's worse.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Japanese rpg

English fish and chips sim

American <i have been advise by my lawyers to stop>

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Persona games occupy the same kind of niche, so perhaps SquAtlus

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
How about a portmanteau/half rhyme? SquaRPG.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Just call them Good RPGs. It's easy to remember. SMT Nocturne is a Good RPG. Mass Effect is not a Good RPG. See? Easy.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Ambitious Spider posted:

SQERPG? square and enix pretty much invented the genre and given the term metroidvania, people don't have a problem using trademarked names to name genres.

The whole issue here is trying to shove a SQERPG into a round (eyed) hole

christmas boots posted:

Persona games occupy the same kind of niche, so perhaps SquAtlus

e: Breakin' it down with the SquAtilus

Cool Kids Club Soda has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Mar 8, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

The whole issue here is trying to shove a SQERPG into a round (eyed) hole

e: Breakin' it down with the SquAtilus

If it reminds you of Square or Atlus games, they're SquAtRPGs. Next time you want an excellent RPG experience, remember to "pop a SquAt!"

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

rodbeard posted:

Is mayonnaise an instrument? How do blankets work? What are frogs?

More importantly, *why* are frogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Just call em Menu RPGs, they're RPGs whose imputs are largely defined by selecting stuff from menus, a non-derogatory judgement-free accurate descriptor. If you have to attack a guy by going into a menu and selecting "attack," that counts, as well as the various other actions that define an RPGs central gameplay loop. There, that covers most non-mmo Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and Atlus RPGs and Earthbound and Undertale and that whole drat grab bag. It notably excludes Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect, but could arguably include the Infinity Engine games, but gently caress it those are close enough for taxonomic purposes.

Arguably Eve Online would count under this but that's more a Spreadsheet MMO

Asterite34 has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Mar 9, 2023