Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

playing ff3 ds in class and having some kind of epipeltic seizure caised by pure gamer rager requiring 911 to be called

Playing FF3 DS in the cockpit of American Airlines Flight 11 and having some kind of epileptic seizure caused by pure gamer rage leading to 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

are you a bad enough dude to play final fantasy iv: the after years: ugly 3d remake version

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Playing FF3 DS in the cockpit of American Airlines Flight 11 and having some kind of epileptic seizure caused by pure gamer rage leading to 9/11

lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the atb system in the gba port of ff4 was broken and you could get 3 or 4 turns before enemies got theirs lol

They fixed it in the European release at least

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
police negoitator having to navigate through a hostage situation started by ff3 ds

----------------

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

police negoitator having to navigate through a hostage situation started by ff3 ds

lol. can't win them all sarge

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

This is an awesome conversation to read right as I'm about to start 3 pixel remaster. Guess I'm glad I held out for 20 years lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

3s the only one ive never beaten and it's 100% because there wasnt a good way to play it until like last year

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol buying final fantasy 3 on the ds because i was excited to play the final fnatasy i knew nothing about and five hours later im morphing into mike matei animorph style screaming at the ds until i take the game out and never play it again

I think I've mentioned it here before but I forgot to bring any DS games one time going on holiday as a kid and FF3 was the only game in the airport shop I recognised. Also it was a lovely holiday so I was terminally bored and had only FF3 DS to play for two weeks

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think I've mentioned it here before but I forgot to bring any DS games one time going on holiday as a kid and FF3 was the only game in the airport shop I recognised. Also it was a lovely holiday so I was terminally bored and had only FF3 DS to play

lol and

Pablo Nergigante posted:

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i could only afford two new games my freshman year of college nd one was ff12 (kickass) and one was ff3 ds. i got all the way to the fuckin last boss of 3 ds because i had no other option

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sleng Teng posted:

This is an awesome conversation to read right as I'm about to start 3 pixel remaster. Guess I'm glad I held out for 20 years lol

they actually made it a decent adaptation, I've never liked 3 but I didn't hate playing that one and didn't really stop to play another game until I finished it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FF2 is a half baked SaGa and FF3 is a half baked FF5 so both of them should have been pretty simple to fix by just backporting the refinements from later games

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

the airships flying overhead on the overworld in FF2 are a nice touch, was that in the original?

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

in the original final fantasy 2 you spend most of the game trying to the spell ultima and once you finally get it its useless because one of the game coders snuck in and made it that way because he thought it was realistic and they couldnt fix it because he coded it in a loving cipher and wouldnt undo it lmao

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
are the pixel remasters actually good i havent trusted them because of all that other poo poo yall saying about every other 2d ff port ever

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

elf help book posted:

are the pixel remasters actually good i havent trusted them because of all that other poo poo yall saying about every other 2d ff port ever

i've only got 5 but it was pretty good, not that i have anyhthing to compare it to. the biggest gripes are a real lack of interest in modernizing the menus and hte font is so bad, but on pc you can fix that. i was always super curious about 5 and getting to play it in an official capacity was dope. i'll probably buy 4 and 6 at some poitn.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
i played the 4 pixel remaster and i really liked it. had no troubles with it on pc. i saw how to change the fonts but i didnt care enough to do it. was a good ride, ff4 was chill af

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I played the first two pixel remasters and enjoyed them a lot and I'll be starting on 3 this weekend. as tude says the default font isn't the best but tbh I didn't really mind it. the remixed tracks that you can listen to are pretty great. seems like other than a couple of things here and there they seem to be pretty straightforward ports of the original games, but my knowledge of the 2d games is a lot less than 3d so somebody can correct me if mistaken

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

they look like ugly rear end but they seem good otherwise

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're good unless you're a committed enough purist to already know that you don't want them.

...but is it art?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
i've heard people say "these aren't definitive because the stuff added to the gba ports isn't there" but no idea if the gba added stuff was actually good

i remember chrono trigger ds having new areas that were all the worst thing in the game by a mile

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

i've heard people say "these aren't definitive because the stuff added to the gba ports isn't there" but no idea if the gba added stuff was actually good

i remember chrono trigger ds having new areas that were all the worst thing in the game by a mile

idr for 4 but the stuff for 5 was ok and the stuff for 6 was pointless and kinda dumb

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

new post game addition stuff is always terrible.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

mysterious loyall X posted:

this

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 50 hours of additional Persona 5 Content would like to have a word with you, troll.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

:amen:

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I played through all of 6 Remaster and am currently like halfway through 5. The only complaint I have is that they push "balance updates" which is just insane to me. These games are loving easy anyway so I don't really get the need to add +1 Speed to Quetzalli esper or whatever. I don't even notice the font. The remastered music is good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chrono Trigger DS mountain you had to climb up and down 10 times lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Chrono Trigger DS mountain you had to climb up and down 10 times lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I'm already at the point where I'm having my party members punch each other in the face during battles to try and get tougher. that didn't take long lol

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sub-Actuality posted:

I'm already at the point where I'm having my party members punch each other in the face during battles to try and get tougher. that didn't take long lol

You don't need to do it that much, tbh, it's more important to get Agility up with some shields. Evasion will save your rear end way more than raw HP, and whatever HP you need will get put into place by Abyss Worms at Jade Passage anyway.

The only way to increase Agility and Evasion is to have Evasion in the first place, so shields will do a lot for you in the long term. Armor defense can't keep up with enemy attack, so being nude to avoid agility penalties for all but the best light gear is the way to go.

The game is insane, I love it.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i did a pixel remaster playthrough of 2 a few months back and its janky but its fun. it also feels much more generous with the stat ups than the GBA version of 2 besides the random HP bumps the advance version gave you.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Sub-Actuality posted:

The party in 2 sounds like a rowdy bunch.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The GBA version of 4 let you switch your party around at the end of the game, so you could e.g. ditch Edge. I think that was a good addition.

...but is it art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

the airships flying overhead on the overworld in FF2 are a nice touch, was that in the original?

yes.