Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
1980's: making a phone call on the go by lugging around something with the approximate dimensions of a housebrick
2020's:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Back then we were all fast and furious. Now we're slow and exhausted.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I live my life a quarter Ensure at a time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

How’d that show go from boosting TV’s to James Bond?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Someone a while back posted something about like a fast and furious 7 and I was like “there is zero loving possibility there are seven of those movies”, but as often happens I was apparently wrong

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zetsubou-san posted:

1980's: making a phone call on the go by lugging around something with the approximate dimensions of a housebrick
2020's:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
At least Land Before Time went to video after like what, the third one?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

How’d that show go from boosting TV’s to James Bond?

Basically Justin Lin and his team realized the property was sticking to minority audiences and was speaking to the exact same surrogate family bullshit Joss Whedon's stuff did, but for gearheads/jocks instead of nice guys/theater kids. Justin Lin and his team also happen to be genuinely good action directors. So they pulled the 3rd joke premise off well enough to bring back the original cast-- surprise surprise none of them had hit it big enough to say "no" to the idea by 09-- and recenter/reinvent the franchise as the Avengers for mixed race families, and by 2011 they had the Rock pulling double-star duty and a gimmick of doing insane closing setpieces, and it worked. It had reinvented itself and has been riding that rail ever since.

And while there's been a lot of hay made about how ridiculous the stars' clauses are when it comes to macho bullshit and The Rock/Vin Diesel hating each other, ultimately the franchise has been really solid about keeping every actor who wants a steady paycheck on the roll and letting every one of the early movies feel more meaningful as a result-- exact same bullshit as Marvel.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

mind the walrus posted:

Basically Justin Lin and his team realized the property was sticking to minority audiences and was speaking to the exact same surrogate family bullshit Joss Whedon's stuff did, but for gearheads/jocks instead of nice guys/theater kids. Justin Lin and his team also happen to be genuinely good action directors. So they pulled the 3rd joke premise off well enough to bring back the original cast-- surprise surprise none of them had hit it big enough to say "no" to the idea by 09-- and recenter/reinvent the franchise as the Avengers for mixed race families, and by 2011 they had the Rock pulling double-star duty and a gimmick of doing insane closing setpieces, and it worked. It had reinvented itself and has been riding that rail ever since.

And while there's been a lot of hay made about how ridiculous the stars' clauses are when it comes to macho bullshit and The Rock/Vin Diesel hating each other, ultimately the franchise has been really solid about keeping every actor who wants a steady paycheck on the roll and letting every one of the early movies feel more meaningful as a result-- exact same bullshit as Marvel.

:hmmyes:

freeedr posted:

Someone a while back posted something about like a fast and furious 7 and I was like “there is zero loving possibility there are seven of those movies”, but as often happens I was apparently wrong
We are up to 10 soon, 11 with the spinoff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It wasn't really until 6 that things got truly wild. Four is the original crew coming back as a kind of relaunch, then 5 is the Gamemaster Anthony / Avengers regroup of everyone else since the original crew for a heist film, but then at the end of 5 they all are rich and Brian is about to start a family so the franchise probably could have ended there but a 6th one was teased at the end. With no real reason to pursue crime anymore and no outstanding vendettas they brought Letty back as a lure and decided to go Mission: Impossible with it.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

5 would've been a decent ending, but it honestly should've ended with 7. Like the montage of Paul Walker's role in the story would've been the best send off to the franchise as a whole imo.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rr5s1orG001zs633i.mp4

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Did NOT expect that cat

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

:golfclap:

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_and_Furious_(1927_film)

dang, did they time travel in that movie or something

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Jabberlock posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_and_Furious_(1927_film)

dang, did they time travel in that movie or something
I still say the first reboot is the best of all of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_and_Furry-ous

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

This shouldn't be difficult. It's it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It’s in your face but you can’t grab it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

teen witch posted:

It’s in your face but you can’t grab it

:hmmyes:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What if I really really want it (asking for friend)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Well, tell me what you want, what you really, really want

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Stocky Manhood posted:

can you feel it?
see it?
hear it Today?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

can you feel it?
see it?
hear it Today?

If you can’t, then it doesn’t matter anyway

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

it’s so groovy it’s outta sight!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Well, tell me what you want, what you really, really want

Zigazig ah :maga:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

mike patton was wrong

I'm having my midlife crisis yet my pockets are not jingling. but I am perfect this is true.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

it's

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpKLqQRRJBM&t=23s

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Not funny, my rear end is on fire

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:golfclap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Love these previews of life in the care home.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

OwlFancier posted:

Love these previews of life in the care home.

Look. Kids today are using autotune in their songs. It's a feature now. None of them have half Patton's vocal range.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Look. Kids today are using autotune in their songs. It's a feature now. None of them have half Patton's vocal range.

Yeah, they all sound like a Fantômas of music

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

aniviron posted:

Always the subnautica memes, never the NS2 memes.

Drake no: armor 2 into standard gates build
Drake yes: exo rush

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

thalweg posted:

Drake no: armor 2 into standard gates build
Drake yes: exo rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Stocky Manhood posted:

I mean, it is so cool and so hip...it's alright.

Literally so groovy it's out of sight. You could touch it, smell it and probably taste it's sweetness.

But, no difference.. you're laying down and you can't have it.