Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

haveblue posted:

Sarah Palin's campaign was basically "make america alaska" and she became the vice presidential nominee, it's not the worst idea

What do you mean, her campaign? She wasnt involved in the Republican primaries; she was a sitting governor who was chosen as the VP nominee of a candidate who made an entirely different argument to what you're saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Using "Swing for the fences," "keep the compass due north," "ignore all the background noise." "hold the line," "stand firm," "seize the opportunity," "reach for the stars," and "won't back down" all in a single sentence has got to be some kind of record for metaphor to word ratio in a single sentence.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The boring, but most likely accurate, answer is that DeSantis does not want to actually ruin Disneyworld. He just wants to make a show of it and slap down one or two "woke" ideas and deny them permits for publicity. Disney doesn't want a huge fight over this and will probably just keep their nose down and run things 99% the same way as they did before while DeSantis/Florida pick one or two high-profile issues to slap down and show them who is the boss/how tough they are.

Maybe they will surprise me and do something genuinely destructive, but I doubt it. He has no incentive to actually damage the property or business and Disney has no incentive to make a conflict out of this if all Ron is going to do is slap them down on one or two "woke" issues a year.

I semi-agree with this - I don't think he wants to ruin Disneyworld, but mostly because I don't think he cares. It's a means to an end, to demonstrate to a potential national base that he's willing to fight a major corporation over "wokeness." It's a means to an end to him, nothing more.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VikingofRock posted:

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate!

Kinda missing Billy West reading Trump tweets as Zapp Branigan while Maurice Lamarche does the irritated Kif sighs.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Disney just needs to shut down their parks for 2 weeks for "expansion and maintenance" to send a message that will have every hotel owner, tour manager, car rental service and such eating the livers of every local 'gently caress woke Disney' republican.

I honestly think they will come to a backstage deal far before that and keep things as harmless theater for the rubes, but who knows. I didn't think they'd nut up and kill Roe v. Wade either.

I think you (and to be fair, most people giving a poo poo about this particular culture war issue) are giving Disney far too much credit for "having a position" on the culture war. Disney is going to do what is least disruptive to its business. Shutting down the entire complex for two weeks is an inexcusable financial loss - no board member would ever allow it to happen. Would it be the Just thing to do? The morally correct thing to do? Of course it would! But it would cost shareholders to experience an incredible loss of value and would be a breach of the company's fiduciary duty. Of course, it would be just as wrong to say that Disney doesn't care about social issues at all - they care very deeply about how their perceived stance on social issues impacts their bottom line!

Disney has done the research, conducted the surveys, and studied the demographics - inclusion is in, and it's ripe for profit. What Disney is doing is the absolute bare minimum to call themselves inclusive - bring in some more diverse IPs, re-imagine some preexisting IPs with diverse audiences in mind, put some diverse faces in high places (so long as they've got the right pedigrees, went to the right schools, have the correct fiduciary tendencies), and just keep on keepin' on.

"But LaLD," I hear you cry, "you can't know what's in Bob Iger's heart of hearts, nevermind those of the entire board of directors!", and you would be right! I can't know with any certainty what is truly in their heart of hearts, but we can make some very reasonable, educated guesses. Let's take one specific example that demonstrates that Disney only gives a poo poo about social justice issues so far as they impact profit.

You see that guy?

You all know who that piece of poo poo is? He's the brains behind this misogynistic, racist, jingoistic, regressive turd of a television show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxN7QrO1xUY

(You'll note, of course, the irony of the video title being "Funny moment's" [sic] when most of the content within is just plain offensive.)

What does this have to do with Disney? Simple:

Disney has made this man the face of the Christmas in America. Now, certainly, it's possible, and even reasonable to think that back in 1994, Disney studio executives had no idea Tim Allen was a piece of poo poo who would go on to become an openly misogynistic, homophobic piece of poo poo, and I'm willing to even give executives the benefit of the doubt in that regard! - but here's where things get dicey.

The Santa Clauses - 2022, reprising the role of Santa.

Disney Dreamlight Valley - 2022, providing the voice lines for Buzz Lightyear.

Toy Story 4 - 2019, providing the voice lines for Buzz Lightyear.

(I could go on to provide more examples, but at this point I think most of us are generally familiar with the Santa Clause and Toy Story extended universes enough to know that it continues being profitable work for Tim Allen)

And I'm given to understand that Toy Story 5 has been greenlit, and will be bringing Tim back to voice Buzz yet again.

If Disney wants to lay claim to giving a poo poo about social issues beyond doing the bare minimum, severing business ties with a piece of poo poo like Tim Allen would be a great start - but those franchises are far too profitable for Disney to go and gently caress with the formula for, so it'll never happen.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 8, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ron DeSantis' working 2024 campaign slogan is "Make America Florida."

Yep. Trump is going to put the top of DeSantis's head squarely on his taint, wiggle his rear end on it just for the giggles, and then take the biggest, longest, messiest poo poo all down the back of his neck. Then he's gonna push him to the ground, kick some dirt in his face and mutter "Thank me for it."

And Ron's weeping reply will be "Thank you, sir :qq:"

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

As much as I hate the rage-bait genre of "state house does something crazy" (since half the time they don't become laws anyways), I think this one is worth paying attention to:

The New Republic posted:

The Tennessee House of Representatives has passed a bill that would allow people to refuse to perform a marriage if they disagree with it.

According to the bill, which passed Monday night, “a person shall not be required to solemnize a marriage if the person has an objection to solemnizing the marriage based on the person’s conscience or religious beliefs.”

The bill, which now moves to the state Senate, is the latest in an onslaught of measures that the Tennessee legislature has passed attacking LGBTQ rights. This bill could also apply to couples where at least one partner is transgender, or to mixed race couples.

Tennessee law already says that religious leaders do not have to officiate weddings they object to. Critics say the new bill goes beyond that and would empower county clerks to refuse to certify marriage licenses, meaning that LGBTQ, interfaith, or interracial couples could be unable to get married at all, rather than just needing to find a new officiant for their ceremony.

Marriage equality is technically the law of the land thanks to the Respect for Marriage Act, which President Joe Biden signed in December. But Tennessee’s bill exploits a major loophole in that law. Critics had long warned that the Respect for Marriage Act did not go far enough. The bill had been amended during the debate process to say that religious organizations do not have to marry same-sex couples, and the law also does not require states to actually issue same-sex marriage licenses.

Now, obviously this particular bill, even if it becomes law, is insanely unconstitutional and would be enjoined immediately, and I personally don't think this "Supreme" Court is willing to overturn Loving v. Virginia just yet, even if they do overturn Obergefell. But I think it's important to follow laws like this, because they show how far the Christian Theocracy is trying to drag us back so far as a society. My wife's grandparents were an interracial couple, as were her parents, as are we. The Christian Theocrats don't just want to undo the last 10 years of progress, they want to undo the last 100 or more.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sephyr posted:

Disney just needs to shut down their parks for 2 weeks for "expansion and maintenance" to send a message that will have every hotel owner, tour manager, car rental service and such eating the livers of every local 'gently caress woke Disney' republican.

I honestly think they will come to a backstage deal far before that and keep things as harmless theater for the rubes, but who knows. I didn't think they'd nut up and kill Roe v. Wade either.

no, the disney fight is all but settled

desantis just wanted to theatrically put disney in their place. however once it was clear this would cost real money and have real consequences, desantis effectively backed off and put a powerless group of ghouls nominally in oversight over disney's otherwise self-managing pocket local government. the fight is effectively over, desantis got what he wanted - a token symbolic victory which most people aren't going to notice is a fraud. all kinds of people are still on the "gently caress disney" train without noticing or caring that disney basically won, because the issue is too complicated to explain in a couple minutes so it's already beyond the majority of the electorate. desantis swore he would do a thing, he did not do that thing and basically admitted he can't do that thing, and nothing changes. disney is too busy making buckets of money and has no incentive to continue slapfighting with a governor who has proven himself impulsive and cowardly

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 8, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The boring, but most likely accurate, answer is that DeSantis does not want to actually ruin Disneyworld. He just wants to make a show of it and slap down one or two "woke" ideas and deny them permits for publicity. Disney doesn't want a huge fight over this and will probably just keep their nose down and run things 99% the same way as they did before while DeSantis/Florida pick one or two high-profile issues to slap down and show them who is the boss/how tough they are.

Maybe they will surprise me and do something genuinely destructive, but I doubt it. He has no incentive to actually damage the property or business and Disney has no incentive to make a conflict out of this if all Ron is going to do is slap them down on one or two "woke" issues a year.

The problem is I feel is that DeSantis doesn't actually want to do anything more than strut around as the Big Man for a bit...Today.

Next year when he's high on his own farts and/or desperately trying to pull himself together after Trump's slapped him around? Well maybe he wants to actually start doing control.

Or the next, not-as-smart ghoul that comes along gets ideas now that DeSantis set this up.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

“Make America Florida” is a sure-fire way to get zero votes in the Northeast/New England

This actually does remind me of Palin, insofar as accounts of the campaign repeatedly talked about how obsessed she was with learning how she was polling back home in Alaska and analyzing political situations in terms of Alaska’s different interest groups.

If that’s seriously his slogan then DeSantis has fallen into the same cognitive trap: he’s running for governor of Florida, not president of the United States, and he’s going to get majorly slapped down, Jeb!-style. Makes one wonder if another far more cunning Republican will be able to face off against Trump more seriously in the primary.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Combed Thunderclap posted:

This actually does remind me of Palin, insofar as accounts of the campaign repeatedly talked about how obsessed she was with learning how she was polling back home in Alaska and analyzing political situations in terms of Alaska’s different interest groups.

If that’s seriously his slogan then DeSantis has fallen into the same cognitive trap: he’s running for governor of Florida, not president of the United States, and he’s going to get majorly slapped down, Jeb!-style. Makes one wonder if another far more cunning Republican will be able to face off against Trump more seriously in the primary.

I’m not sure there are more cunning republicans at this point. If there are they’d be cunning enough to know better than to run against Trump.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah, Disney absolutely will not close the parks as a "gently caress you" to the Flordia goverment.

For one thing, the Disney parks are currently the only profitable portion of the company, with Disney World parks being the most profitable of the parks. Minus the pandemic closure, the longest Disney World had ever been closed was three days after Hurricane Frances went though.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Unfortunately they elected The Other Marjorie Taylor Greene
I can already hear Colin Jost saying this,

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bellmaker posted:

I’m not sure there are more cunning republicans at this point. If there are they’d be cunning enough to know better than to run against Trump.

There are, but they're already elected. Folks like McConnel, and other evil bastards in state governments that are happy where they are being evil bastards.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

If they’re smart the new board will vote themselves a generous but not excessive stipend and then do nothing else ever again.

They’re crazy ideologies though. They’re probably going to do crazy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mostly agreed. But, his pledge to not raise taxes on anyone making less than $400k is really screwing with the social security plan and a dumb policy.

If you make $147k to $399k you pay a smaller percent in social security taxes than you do if you make $50k? And people making $50k and $500k will both pay a higher percentage than someone making $200k?

And lifting it on only that income just extends it for 7 years, so they are going to have to come back to it or let benefits fall to 78%. Ideally, if they are touching social security, then they should be doing something good in one plan to keep it solvent for good. Giving people the excuse to come take another look at social security in 7 to 10 years in not great. But, I guess it's somebody else's problem at that point.

I'm just glad that someone is finally addressing raising the cap because, in my experience, most people don't even know it exists. Also, in a country where 10% of the people have 90% of the loving money it's the only possible way to make it so that people who are too old to work don't die in the loving street and have some semblance of much needed wealth redistribution.

I hate food chat on SA but one thing that always strikes me is simply the sheer size of portions. You can start with sodas, where a Big Gulp used to be a novelty but is now considered a normal size. When I go to restaurants and even order an appetizer, I'm astonished by how big they are most of the time.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 9, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

No, you're thinking of Alabama and Mississippi.

But, Florida is generally rated low on education, healthcare, infrastructure, and affordability.

Affordability and weather used to be Florida's big selling points, but Florida is now one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S. So, it's basically just "weather" and "low taxes because we get most of our revenue from sales taxes on tourists and government aid."

I want to touch on this because I hear a lot of RWM touting FLorida as a model for the country because they have no state tax. However:

Home prices and insuring one in particular are insanely expensive, assuming you can ever find someone willing to insure your home. Wages are laughable and anything resembling the rights of labor or laws designed to protect workers from the lovely shenanigans of corporations here (or the amount they pollute for that matter) in this "At Will Employment" state is horrific. Sure, a lot of people are fleeing NY, PA, NJ, etc. to come live here but all of them I've spoken to are shocked at how it is to find a decent paying job, let alone one that will afford home purchases and insurance.

The insurance companies here know quite well that climate change is real, even if the GOP likes to deny it. The free market is speaking, such as it is, and absolutely nothing is being done about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

I want to touch on this because I hear a lot of RWM touting FLorida as a model for the country because they have no state tax. However:

Home prices and insuring one in particular are insanely expensive, assuming you can ever find someone willing to insure your home. Wages are laughable and anything resembling the rights of labor or laws designed to protect workers from the lovely shenanigans of corporations here (or the amount they pollute for that matter) in this "At Will Employment" state is horrific. Sure, a lot of people are fleeing NY, PA, NJ, etc. to come live here but all of them I've spoken to are shocked at how it is to find a decent paying job, let alone one that will afford home purchases and insurance.

The insurance companies here know quite well that climate change is real, even if the GOP likes to deny it. The free market is speaking, such as it is, and absolutely nothing is being done about it.
Seriously....before DeSantis took office this state was pretty affordable. Now a lot of our metro areas are worse than NYC or SF and nobody can get paid anything resembling a living wage.

DeSantis and his people only care about insane culture war bullshit. When they are asked about actual problems like housing affordability, skyrocketing rents, insurance hikes, etc they just go off about groomers

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Just a really bizarre decision that will definitely have no way to be exploited or defrauded.

I guess if they really are going to set up a system where even the wrestlers don't know who is supposed to win until a few hours before the match, then that closes the loop on a few of the major areas for abuse, but... still wild that Colorado and Michigan are down for this.

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1633572766623342599

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/08/wwe-betting-scripted-match-results.html

People have bet on PPV results for years. Strong evidence that the wrestlers themselves do this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah. I was really surprised at how significantly the affordability shifted in Florida. It was one of the cheapest states 20 years ago, but is one of the most expensive now. There's still cheap places in Florida, but Miami, anywhere near a beach, and anywhere you need significant home and flood insurance are insanely expensive now and on par with some of the outer boroughs of NYC for housing costs.

And, let's be real, that's where people want to live. You can find cheap housing in the panhandle, but people aren't moving from NJ or NY to live in the panhandle.

The wage issue is a big one too and is another reason why the people moving there are either retired and don't need to work or relatively wealthy people with good jobs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Tim Allen

You all know who that piece of poo poo is? He's the brains behind this misogynistic, racist, jingoistic, regressive turd of a television show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxN7QrO1xUY

(You'll note, of course, the irony of the video title being "Funny moment's" [sic] when most of the content within is just plain offensive.)

This one of those things I want to see without the laugh track like I've watched for shows like Friends and The Big Bang Theory

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Things are getting interesting...
https://twitter.com/girldrawsghosts/status/1633572397407141888?s=20
Republicans sure are accelerating the discrimination to an unusual degree. I thought they'd just stick to denying LGBTQ+ marriages but going straight to interfaith and interracial marriages is pretty mind-blowing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Name Change posted:

People have bet on PPV results for years. Strong evidence that the wrestlers themselves do this.

Official state-sanctioned betting you can go put money down on at the gas station? People can technically bet on anything, but I don't think they have ever legally been allowed to bet on something that is fixed like this at this scale, right?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Seriously....before DeSantis took office this state was pretty affordable. Now a lot of our metro areas are worse than NYC or SF and nobody can get paid anything resembling a living wage.

DeSantis and his people only care about insane culture war bullshit. When they are asked about actual problems like housing affordability, skyrocketing rents, insurance hikes, etc they just go off about groomers

As much as I hate to say it, "to be fair to DeSantis" the housing stuff is not exclusively his fault. Florida had some of the same problems the rest of the country had + a ton of major Florida-exclusive problems that combined for the major affordability crisis (in housing at least).

There was:

- The last 4 Governors.

- The state legislatures for the last 20 years.

- Local governments (which tend to be blue areas) with restrictive zoning laws they used to protect existing property owners and keep home values up.

- A series of nearly back-to-back major hurricanes over 10 years that destroyed tons of housing stock.

- The federal government started not massively subsidizing flood insurance if you were building new housing in a high-risk area to encourage people to build new housing in safer areas (reasonable policy, but builders and buyers slowed down construction because they weren't getting basically free flood insurance subsidized anymore and the people who still did jacked up the prices on the houses and insurance to compensate).

- Climate change likely increasing the severity of weather incidents, which will reduce the amount of available land and drive up insurance premiums even more as they have to priced in.

- More and more people wanting to move or retire at the beach and those areas cracking down on housing to keep existing hotels, homeowners, and resorts profitable.

- Florida basically has one major metro area with some population density (Miami) and that area is shrinking and the other major metro areas are all sprawl or dying - which drives more people into Miami and the resort towns.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Keep in mind that the states that have "low taxes" often aren't really lower.

Texans pay more than Californians in state taxes unless they're super rich.

Florida is super regressive too.

https://itep.org/whopays/

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Young Freud posted:

Republicans sure are accelerating the discrimination to an unusual degree. I thought they'd just stick to denying LGBTQ+ marriages but going straight to interfaith and interracial marriages is pretty mind-blowing.

In a sad way, it makes sense.
They want to use the momentum while they have it instead of just assuming they'll be able to kick the can down the road and still have the power to do it later.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Young Freud posted:

Another very transparent attempt to boot things up in front of the supreme court as fast as possible. It worked for Roe, so why not file as many bullshit laws as possible deliberately to get them in front of the courts?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Name Change posted:

Yeah they just limit the amount you can bet to prevent people from taking advantage.

There used to be a guy on the wrestling subreddit who claimed to be a WWE insider and to prove it he would post what the results of all the PPV matches would be. Turned out what he was actually doing was just watching the betting lines and seeing which way they swung when the smart money came in.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The bill's wording is "a person shall not be required to solemnize a marriage if the person has an objection to solemnizing the marriage based on the person’s conscience or religious beliefs." - couldn't someone reasonably say that they won't wed conservatives due to their conscience? Or is "conscience" codified somewhere?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Young Freud posted:

This is also exploiting a loophole in the Marriage Protection Act or whatever it was called that passed last year

In regressive states they're going to just go for it and see if anyone objects.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The bill's wording is "a person shall not be required to solemnize a marriage if the person has an objection to solemnizing the marriage based on the person’s conscience or religious beliefs." - couldn't someone reasonably say that they won't wed conservatives due to their conscience? Or is "conscience" codified somewhere?

Of course you could, it's not about how stupid the law is. The point is to get it up to the SCOTUS where they'll uphold the portions that allow you to not do gay marriages and but make it so you can't do it for any other reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I can tell you here in FL when gay marriage was legalized, a lot of the counties not in a blue metro area just stopped doing marriage ceremonies entirely to get around having to marry The Gays. Which also forced poorer rural couples into the metros to get married.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I'm pretty sure they could, but I don't think gotchas like that have worked in previous similar situations. Only real time I can find someone pulling the Reversal of Fortune argument was Virginia restaurant refusing some Christians a reservation because they looked them up and saw they were part of a Christian fundamentalist political group, and it caused a bit of a flap in the regular conservative tabloids but nothing appears to have come of it

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Youremother posted:

Another very transparent attempt to boot things up in front of the supreme court as fast as possible. It worked for Roe, so why not file as many bullshit laws as possible deliberately to get them in front of the courts?

You just know Thomas is going to die the same month the GOP manages to get the WH and senate back.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I mean, she's one of the main reasons McCain took a once in a generation rear end beating in 2008. And she never got elected to anything using that as a slogan. She was chosen because they thought having a good looking woman would be enough.

Dont forget- Maga twit Gingrich-adjacent scientologist greta-hubby John Coale (who invented the superpac) worked for hillarys primary campaign until Obama sunk it, then jumped ship to Palin's campaign

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Sure. But in blood-red Tennessee, you've got a good chance of running into someone who opposes gay marriage, and an extremely slim chance of running into someone who opposes conservatives getting married.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, yes, an initiative to fix a police department with a hosed-up culture is typically unpopular with the people who fostered that hosed-up culture, as well as the people who enjoyed that hosed-up culture.

Seriously, that article is omitting crucial context on its critics. For example, aside from being the mayor of Ferguson for the three years prior to the shooting of Michael Brown, James Knowles III was also a former employee of the Ferguson PD, spending four years in their communications department doing PR for them.

Even the remark that Ferguson officials "agreed to a consent decree" leaves out key context. The Ferguson City Council initially rejected the consent decree, and only reluctantly gave in after the DoJ filed a lawsuit against the city.

As for Yvette Herrell, she complains that the consent decree isn't stopping rising crime rates, but that's not what it's meant to do. It's meant to stop the cops from committing the crimes!

Indeed, and not to mention that the recorded crime rate of a city where the police are blatantly corrupt and excessively violent should be inherently suspect. (And obligatory and probably true: hard to name a city where they aren't)

Of course the cops are going to whine and moan and lie when they're experiencing any form of consequences for their actions and claim it's stopping them from fighting the real bad guys. This is the playbook they've used forever, and it always seems to work on pearl-clutchers who worry about action movie bad guys just outside their doors.

Young Freud posted:

They see the chance, they're going for it. They're going to keep doing this over and over and over. There's no reason for them to hold back anymore.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
That headline is really sensationalist. It's still not a good thing but both the tweet and the headline of the article are histrionic. If you call this "completely gutting marriage inequality" what would a law saying a marriage had to be between a white man and a white woman be?

It's still something to fight back against but I wish people would cry wolf a little less so immediate threats are taken more seriously.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nail Rat posted:

That headline is really sensationalist. It's still not a good thing but both the tweet and the headline of the article are histrionic. If you call this "completely gutting marriage inequality" what would a law saying a marriage had to be between a white man and a white woman be?

It's still something to fight back against but I wish people would cry wolf a little less so immediate threats are taken more seriously.

It literally guts interracial marriages too by letting racists deny a ceremony to them so uh not sure if the point you made really needs to be taken seriously.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Because people can probably find a county clerk that will marry them that's why

If they say a county clerk CAN'T marry them that's completely gutting.

This bill threatens for sure and needs to be fought against. But completely gutting means there's nowhere worse to go

I'm not saying it's not a bad thing, and I'm not saying it shouldn't be fought against, but saying it's the worst possible law they could literally pass is *literally* wrong. And sensationalism tends to get things ignored by people who might otherwise listen. That's why every IPCC report holds way back. A headline that reported the facts (i.e. Tennessee allows clerks to deny marriage licenses for any reason) would be more likely to be taken seriously outside of an echo chamber.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

So, I looked around and didn't see it posted, so... Here you go; Turtle fell down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/03/09/mitch-mcconnell-fall-hospitalized/

happy news posted:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has been hospitalized following a fall at a hotel in Washington, his spokesperson said late Wednesday.

The 81-year-old Senator was attending a private dinner at a local hotel when he tripped, spokesman David Popp said in a statement. “He has been admitted to the hospital where he is receiving treatment,” he added, without providing any further details on his condition.

Now, normally I wouldn't care much, but the man is 81, and even with the best healthcare ghouls can buy on the government dime, y'all might get lucky!