Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

skipdogg posted:

make sure it’s on your ISP’s approved modem list.

Speaking of I'm moving from an xfinity area to a spectrum area and was curious is my Motorola 8600 would work on spectrums network. Spectrum doesn't have the Motorola on its gig speed list but afaik it's all docsis 3.1. Spectrum is handing out free surfboards so it's a moot point I guess but I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Corb3t posted:

A lot of their hardware looks nice enough, I just need a Dream Machine Pro with 2.5GBes, drat it.

The Dream Machine SE has a 2.5Gb RJ45 WAN port and LAN ports as well I believe, and both the Pro and SE have 10Gb SFP WAN ports that you can get 2.5Gb negotiating adaptors for.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kin posted:

That seems like a lot to me but maybe its not?

I count 12 devices with DHCP leases in my one bedroom apartment, so I dunno... YMMV?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Kin posted:

The router says there are 37 connected devices but I count maybe 45 things in total that'll have an Internet connection.

Ensure the size of the DHCP pool the router is giving out is substantially bigger than that as a troubleshooting step.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mr Crucial posted:

The Dream Machine SE has a 2.5Gb RJ45 WAN port and LAN ports as well I believe, and both the Pro and SE have 10Gb SFP WAN ports that you can get 2.5Gb negotiating adaptors for.

I'm not dropping $500+ on a router that can't easily hook up to Wifi 6e/7 APs via 2.5Gb RJ45.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Corb3t posted:

I'm not dropping $500+ on a router that can't easily hook up to Wifi 6e/7 APs via 2.5Gb RJ45.

What alternatives are you looking at?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mr Crucial posted:

What alternatives are you looking at?

Nothing until Ubiquiti releases what I want - Currently, my wifi 6e router has a 2.5 Gbps WAN + LAN, and I have 1.2 Gbps Xfinity. It just seems silly dropping that much on a Dream Machine Pro SE when the next wave of APs will all be 2.5 Gbps capable.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Please be aware that if you take advantage of this, do not ship to an address you have recently also purchased the same from. Amazon lies and throws an "out of stock" error, but changing to a different mailing address allows it to go through just fine.

Well gently caress 'em, I'll have it shipped to my house and return the old one, and I'll still have my loving $70 adjustment, you cocksucking assholes.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

My wife and I bought a house and AT&T has speed options with 3,4, or 5 gigs down. The nerd in me wants to get the 5 but is this overkill? Would I have to have any specific equipment to utilize it at max speed?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RisqueBarber posted:

My wife and I bought a house and AT&T has speed options with 3,4, or 5 gigs down. The nerd in me wants to get the 5 but is this overkill? Would I have to have any specific equipment to utilize it at max speed?

Yes, most consumer network equipment that's been bought over the last 20 years is one gigabit at best. Only in the last couple of years have more motherboards included 2.5 gigabit. You'd need to buy some faster network cards, switches, wireless access points and so forth to actually make use of those speeds. I'd suggest saving some money with the cheaper plans unless you're going to get some prosumer/enterprise gear. The one caveat to that is that the upload speed may be asynchronous (slower) if they're specifically calling it down only (which is still normal for coax cable systems, unlike fiber optic generally). In that case it might be worth the upgrade if you do a lot of uploading as well as downloading, but it'd depend what your normal usage looks like. I don't upload very often unless I'm sending videos up to youtube a couple of times a month and I can wait for those.

I'd guess that what will be a better use of money (and I have no idea what your plans would cost but just in general) would be to make sure you have wireless access points around your house so you have good wifi coverage everywhere. 3 gigabits is still a ton of bandwidth for a home.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

RisqueBarber posted:

My hot take: anything over 500 megabits is overkill. I had gigabit for years and the only time I even came close to using the entire connection was downloading Xbox or ps4 games.

I downgraded to a 500mbit fiber line at my current house and have never wished it was faster. A Xbox game might take an extra 8 minutes to download, no big deal.

Remember whoever you’re trying to download from at 5 gigs has to be able to provide you that much bandwidth, and it just doesn’t happen often.

I personally focus on having a very stable network for all the crap in my house and don’t care as much about peak speeds.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I honestly wouldn’t bother with the 1.2 Gbps Xfinity plan, but they’re limiting their 200 Mbps upload upgrade to the higher tiers, so they’re kinda forcing my hand. I can almost max out my speeds with ~100 concurrent Usenet connections.

I’d like the 200 Mbps upload for better cloud backups and Plex streaming to friends (4K content). I used to be spoiled - before I bought my house, I rented in area with $75 a month 1 Gbps async AT&T Fiber.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I did 1 gig symmetrical at my last place as 100mbps was included in rent (at $40) and the upgrade to 1 gig + HBO max was only $20 a month.

But yeah even 500 symmetrical is overkill IMO. Looks like 5gig starts at $180/mo. No way I could I justify upgrading everything and paying that monthly for 99.99% of residential use.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
The only reason I keep 1gig service for my ATT fiber is no data cap. At least last I looked their 300mbps plan has a cap.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I also strongly suspect that there is no way you'd see max speeds when the connection has to peer outside of AT&T's network. I have the 1gbps AT&T Fiber and their speedtest that stays within their network reliably shows about 980mbps down. Anything I have to connect to the actual Internet for rarely gets above 400mbps; this is still plenty for a normal household with streaming and whatnot, but it sure as gently caress ain't what AT&T advertises.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Beef Of Ages posted:

I also strongly suspect that there is no way you'd see max speeds when the connection has to peer outside of AT&T's network. I have the 1gbps AT&T Fiber and their speedtest that stays within their network reliably shows about 980mbps down. Anything I have to connect to the actual Internet for rarely gets above 400mbps; this is still plenty for a normal household with streaming and whatnot, but it sure as gently caress ain't what AT&T advertises.

I definitely don't have this issue. I have no problem pulling 800-950mbps from Usenet or for Playstation downloads for example.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Peering/CDNs can be a bitch sometimes but it shouldn't be that bad

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
There was a time around 2014 or 2015 in Houston that AT&T Gigabit fiber had such terrible peering to YouTube during evenings, 360p was the best resolution you'd see. With regular buffering pauses.

Anything else, you'd get near line speed. But not YouTube.

For what it's worth, I basically see line speed to all hosts in North America on my ATT gigabit. I see ~300-600mbps to European hosts, but there's a lot more going on there in general.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

also re 500mbps vs gig chat, i see significantly fewer complaints from 500mbps customers because the only problem gig fiber customers ever have (aside from like, physical damage to something) is "i ran a speed test on my lovely laptop i got at best buy and only got 700 megabits i'm not getting what i pay for i demand you fix it"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I actually get a bit above the 1200 xfinity provisions, at least outside of peak hours anyways, usually around 1350 down. During lunch and evenings it’ll only be 800-900ish though.

Up is still an insulting 42.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have 350mbit symmetric and it's fine, I guess? no CGNAT, no bullshit transfer caps, it just works.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
high speeds are mainly nice so you don't have to worry about multiple devices and processes congesting everything. who cares about qos with 5gbit tbh

at some point, your drive's write speed becomes the bottleneck

also means some crap like your tv can record you in 8k dolby vision and send it to corporate hq without you noticing a performance hitch ofc. (except a lot of tv's have 100 mbit caps on ethernet, forcing you to use a usb adapter for faster speeds)

kliras fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 10, 2023

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've always wanted the fastest connection possible ever since the 9600 bps days. From there it was 14.4 Kbps, then 28.8, and finally 56K. I still have my "56K fly through the internet" hat from Rockwell.

A few years later I went to a 1.5 Mbps ADSL connection and it was mind blowing. Then eventually to a 1 Gbps / 35 Mbps cable internet connection. Then I heard I could get a 6 Gbps symmetrical fiber connection, so of course I had to have it.

Do I really need it though? No... But do I want it? Hell yes! In the real world I regularly see 400 MB/s downloads from Steam, Battle.net, etc. It's nice being able to upload and download so fast (cloud backups of personal files & security cameras), but if I found myself having to consider ditching it due to budget concerns, it's certainly not the end of the world.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, I might never use above 500 MBps on a daily basis, but gently caress if I was going to keep paying Comcast for 15 MBps uploads when I could be paying less to my local ISP for symmetric gigabit instead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I apologize if this is a dumb question but I have an extra ASUS AC3100 router and I wanted to use it as a mesh AP ( I think I'm using the term correctly). Is that even possible or should I just buy a proper mesh setup? I just moved into a new house and I want to make sure there is proper coverage on both sides of the house. There's ethernet in every room so I can do a backhaul to the ASUS AC3100.

I guess if I have to spend the money on a proper mesh setup I can I was just hoping to use my existing stuff.

Thanks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yep, Asus allows you to flash that router and many other of their older models to mesh firmware, and their newer ones are all mesh-capable AFAIK.I have that exact model and at my old place which was bigger, I had two of these from the OP flashed to stock Asus mesh-capable firmware. Now at my smaller place I'm just using the 3100.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MarcusSA posted:

I apologize if this is a dumb question but I have an extra ASUS AC3100 router and I wanted to use it as a mesh AP ( I think I'm using the term correctly). Is that even possible or should I just buy a proper mesh setup? I just moved into a new house and I want to make sure there is proper coverage on both sides of the house. There's ethernet in every room so I can do a backhaul to the ASUS AC3100.

I guess if I have to spend the money on a proper mesh setup I can I was just hoping to use my existing stuff.

Thanks!

Mesh is a specific term for having one access point talk to another to hand the traffic back to the main one attached to your router. It often supports wireless or wired backhaul (the connection to the other sattelites). You do potentially have that option here but it's more likely you just want it to be an extra wireless access point.

You can manually set that up as just a wireless access point (no mesh) with a wired connection by setting it to whatever settings it has for that (usually a toggle in the firmware for wireless access point mode) which would essentially turn it into a small switch with a WAP included.

If the firmware doesn't include a way to set it to that mode, you can also ignore the firmware settings and set it up yourself to do that. This will involve ignoring the WAN port entirely and plugging ethernet into the LAN port, changing the IP on the router to be different from your main router (such as giving it 192.168.0.2 as an example if your main router was .1) and turning off the DHCP server so it doesn't give your devices the wrong information. You'd also then just set up WiFi to be the exact same SSID and passphrase as your main router but put it on a different 2.4ghz channel (only use 1, 6, or 11 as they overlap by a couple of channels on each side).

Another option is the ASUS mesh setup built into their routers. If your main router is also ASUS you can use this to get the routers talking to each other over the air and it will likely be fine. I usually go with the first or second option to use a router as an access point instead of using this kind of thing but ASUS has a video on setting it up:
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yep, Asus allows you to flash that router and many other of their older models to mesh firmware, and their newer ones are all mesh-capable AFAIK.I have that exact model and at my old place which was bigger, I had two of these from the OP flashed to stock Asus mesh-capable firmware. Now at my smaller place I'm just using the 3100.

Amazing thanks! That is my project for the next time I'm off work.

I'm kinda glad I don't have to spend the money on a mesh setup.

Rexxed posted:

Mesh is a specific term for having one access point talk to another to hand the traffic back to the main one attached to your router. It often supports wireless or wired backhaul (the connection to the other sattelites). You do potentially have that option here but it's more likely you just want it to be an extra wireless access point.

You can manually set that up as just a wireless access point (no mesh) with a wired connection by setting it to whatever settings it has for that (usually a toggle in the firmware for wireless access point mode) which would essentially turn it into a small switch with a WAP included.

If the firmware doesn't include a way to set it to that mode, you can also ignore the firmware settings and set it up yourself to do that. This will involve ignoring the WAN port entirely and plugging ethernet into the LAN port, changing the IP on the router to be different from your main router (such as giving it 192.168.0.2 as an example if your main router was .1) and turning off the DHCP server so it doesn't give your devices the wrong information. You'd also then just set up WiFi to be the exact same SSID and passphrase as your main router but put it on a different 2.4ghz channel (only use 1, 6, or 11 as they overlap by a couple of channels on each side).

Another option is the ASUS mesh setup built into their routers. If your main router is also ASUS you can use this to get the routers talking to each other over the air and it will likely be fine. I usually go with the first or second option to use a router as an access point instead of using this kind of thing but ASUS has a video on setting it up:
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/

Thanks for the explanation! Yeah my main router is from the Cable company and it did fine in my older place but the newer place is larger but has ethernet in every room. I think just using the one ASUS router should be enough coverage for the whole house.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Hey folks I have an issue I've been unable to troubleshoot. Websites won't load to my devices that are wired to an unmanaged switch. All my testing suggests each component works fine.

Relevant Parts of the Network:

Modem (Technicolour 4400 v2) -> Router (TPLink AX5400) -> Keystone -> [Walls] -> Keystone -> Switch (TPLink SG1008Dv5.1, unmanaged) -> Computer (Win11)

- When I skip the switch, computer works perfectly (i.e. Keystone -> Computer and we're in business)
- With the switch, I see all the correct lights, but no websites load. Oddly, I can ping the router just fine, and actually can ping most sites, through with higher failure rates.
- The switch appears to work fine when connected in front of the keystones (i.e. router -> switch -> test device, and the test device works fine).
- Everything works fine on Wi-Fi as well.
- I've tried a myriad combination of cables and ports

Keystones were some random amazon stuff, if it matters (I believe these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078M4PXWJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Any thoughts on what might be going wrong? The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is factory resetting the router, but I'd prefer to avoid that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jenkl posted:

Hey folks I have an issue I've been unable to troubleshoot. Websites won't load to my devices that are wired to an unmanaged switch. All my testing suggests each component works fine.

Relevant Parts of the Network:

Modem (Technicolour 4400 v2) -> Router (TPLink AX5400) -> Keystone -> [Walls] -> Keystone -> Switch (TPLink SG1008Dv5.1, unmanaged) -> Computer (Win11)

- When I skip the switch, computer works perfectly (i.e. Keystone -> Computer and we're in business)
- With the switch, I see all the correct lights, but no websites load. Oddly, I can ping the router just fine, and actually can ping most sites, through with higher failure rates.
- The switch appears to work fine when connected in front of the keystones (i.e. router -> switch -> test device, and the test device works fine).
- Everything works fine on Wi-Fi as well.
- I've tried a myriad combination of cables and ports

Keystones were some random amazon stuff, if it matters (I believe these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078M4PXWJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Any thoughts on what might be going wrong? The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is factory resetting the router, but I'd prefer to avoid that.

So it could be a bad switch, but with the situation as laid out, I'd test the cable in the wall with a cheap tester. There can be breaks on new cable right in the middle of the cable but it sounds like you're getting some packet loss. My best guess is that one of the pairs in the wall isn't connected well and the computer might be auto negotiating at 100Mb to avoid it but the switch is trying to keep gigabit and failing, hence the packet loss and website timeouts.

It may be as easy as double checking the ends are punched down, or cutting them off and punching it down again just to be sure, but it may also be one of the conductors inside the wire is broken inside the wall.

A cheap tester like this will just send a pulse up one end of a pair and look for a response on the other side: https://www.amazon.ca/VCELINK-Network-Indication-Ethernet-Keystone/dp/B09YHNWQ1R/

You hook the powered end to one of the jacks and the unpowered end to the other and watch the lights, it should light them up one by one or in pairs, and if it misses one that's your damaged pair. You'll obviously need some short patch cables to hook up to the tester if you go that way.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I don't know what I'm doing here, and you mentioning punching down made me realize maybe I should not have said keystone. What I have are more like couplers. I did not punch down anything myself.
I don't know to what degree that matters, if at all.

I can plug things in and watch lights. I'm pretty good at light watching. I'll grab one of these testers and see.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jenkl posted:

I don't know what I'm doing here, and you mentioning punching down made me realize maybe I should not have said keystone. What I have are more like couplers. I did not punch down anything myself.
I don't know to what degree that matters, if at all.

I can plug things in and watch lights. I'm pretty good at light watching. I'll grab one of these testers and see.

Okay, in that case I'd guess one of the cables you're using is bad or one of the couplers is bad. It happens and couplers often go bad, but it could just need some wiggling. Either way the tester should help isolate any bad cables or the whole setup when put together.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

God I hope it's the coupler.
Thanks a bunch for your help!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not too sure where to start, so I figured here might be able to point me to my best options. Our family uses a lot of iCloud storage for photos & videos (currently clocking at 150gb) and I don't want to pay $10 a month for 2TB of storage anymore. It seems that most competitor's offerings are roughly the same price as well, so I'm looking to other options. I figured I could download all the photos manually, then transfer them into an external drive. But I thought there would be a lot of downsides. I would need to do everything manually for myself and my wife, there isn't any redundancy if the drive fails, I would need to remember when I last backed-up, I also wouldn't have easy access to looking at the pictures, overall seems like a real hassle. I'm envisioning a small enclosure with a few HDDs that I can connect to my router and any PC/Mac in the house can simply drop files into it and have access to it whenever I want. It would be cool to download directly into the drive as well. I'm thinking a home server might be what I want?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

obi_ant posted:

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not too sure where to start, so I figured here might be able to point me to my best options. Our family uses a lot of iCloud storage for photos & videos (currently clocking at 150gb) and I don't want to pay $10 a month for 2TB of storage anymore. It seems that most competitor's offerings are roughly the same price as well, so I'm looking to other options. I figured I could download all the photos manually, then transfer them into an external drive. But I thought there would be a lot of downsides. I would need to do everything manually for myself and my wife, there isn't any redundancy if the drive fails, I would need to remember when I last backed-up, I also wouldn't have easy access to looking at the pictures, overall seems like a real hassle. I'm envisioning a small enclosure with a few HDDs that I can connect to my router and any PC/Mac in the house can simply drop files into it and have access to it whenever I want. It would be cool to download directly into the drive as well. I'm thinking a home server might be what I want?

Yeah you're more or less describing a NAS (Network Attached Storage). You can get off the shelf varieties from companies like Synology or QNAP, or build your own with PC hardware. The upside of a NAS is that you keep your own stuff, the downside is you're responsible for your own stuff so you have to make sure you have data redundancy, an extra backup if you want to be sure not to lose everything, etc.

The NAS thread is here.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If $10/mo is too much then why would you spend $300+ on a nas and have to do more work? Not paying for iCloud is really short sighted for lots of reasons.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Paying for proper backups of your NAS is not free either. And you'll want to back that poo poo up.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Also if you’re using iCloud, I assume you want to access those files while out of the house or on different devices like an iPhone.

Have fun teaching your family to VPN back to the house and connecting to a NAS to look at a picture/document.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Rexxed posted:

Okay, in that case I'd guess one of the cables you're using is bad or one of the couplers is bad. It happens and couplers often go bad, but it could just need some wiggling. Either way the tester should help isolate any bad cables or the whole setup when put together.

Excellent guessing!

Through the magic of amazon delivery, I've discovered the "2" channel does not light up

Bit more work to do to identify if it's the cord or either of the couplers.

God I hope it's the couplers.

Edit: it's the cord 😭😭

Jenkl fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

obi_ant posted:

Even those of us that have a NAS, off-site cloud backups of irreplaceable data is an absolute must. I would recommend to just keep paying for iCloud.