Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The Nux Amp Academy you mentioned is also a complete amp, effects, and cab sim/IR loader. For $200 (and cheaper used) I bet it's worth a look.

Though I've learned the hard way that the buy-once-cry-once thing is for real. Just get the HX Stomp. :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

JamesKPolk posted:

Thanks y'all, worth demoing all of these at least. I think what got me looking at the Iridium the first time was wondering if I could get a cheaper HX haha. Like that the Boss has bass amps too.

The CABM keeps coming up in searches etc - it just does the cab and power amp sim right? Like I'd need a preamp pedal w/ it still?

Nope! The CABM has a firmware upgrade that includes a preamp modeled after a Fender Bassman. If you don’t like that you can certainly run your own preamp into it for power amp and cab sim. It’s usually in the $200 range on reverb which is cheaper for less amp models. I own one and use it a lot and it works fairly well

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

Nope! The CABM has a firmware upgrade that includes a preamp modeled after a Fender Bassman. If you don’t like that you can certainly run your own preamp into it for power amp and cab sim. It’s usually in the $200 range on reverb which is cheaper for less amp models. I own one and use it a lot and it works fairly well

Oh wow that sounds fantastic actually. Thanks for the rec, glad I asked!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

luchadornado posted:

My sweetwater rep is pretty cool and has helped me out a ton even though I've only spent <$1500 there. Went out of his way to talk to the Gibson guy and get details on left-handed Tangerine Bursts, and I mentioned I liked root beer barrels, and I always get some now. I'll shoot the breeze with him once a year for that.

Okay you sold me on SweetWater.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

MrMojok posted:

Where is a good non-Amazon place to buy strings online?

I bought a lot of strings from https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ and never had an issue. They don't send candy though

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

This thread reminded me to that I have like 4 bags of Sweetwater candy. I’m down to the green peppermint things unfortunately.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Has anyone used StringJoys? I see them pop up on Instagram and other guitar YouTubes and wondered if they were anything special.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

lazerwolf posted:

Has anyone used StringJoys? I see them pop up on Instagram and other guitar YouTubes and wondered if they were anything special.

A few people a few posts ago said they were good and let you assemble custom sets og gauges.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

lazerwolf posted:

They are decent strings for sure and the custom gauges are cool if you need that sort of thing. Not good enough to pull me away from daddario

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
I’ll have to try stringjoy, I use their calculator but didn’t realize there was more to the site lol.

https://tension.stringjoy.com/

The calculator is so worth it tho. Have a 6 string 27.7” baritone I tune to drop-f#, and every existing set sucks. But with the calc, I was able to build a nice set (15p,20p,28w,38w,52w,70w) that has a pretty balanced tension, with the lowest a bit lighter for tone and bends.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Guitar newbie milestones:

- successfully played twinkle twinkle and frere jaques (not very well)
- figured out what the dots are
- figured out that tele -> rat-> xenyx mixer w/gain up = good enough to hear guitar w/o an amp or cab
- figured that I still need a cab or cab sim anyway

baby steps \:unsmith:/ now to actually not suck eventually

Is there a way to get less-dangerous looking sixth strings tho? That poo poo always feels like it’s going to cut my pinky off.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Stringjoy is definitely good. They also have good customer service. If you manage to break one they'll replace it for free.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Guitar newbie milestones:

- successfully played twinkle twinkle and frere jaques (not very well)
- figured out what the dots are
- figured out that tele -> rat-> xenyx mixer w/gain up = good enough to hear guitar w/o an amp or cab
- figured that I still need a cab or cab sim anyway

baby steps \:unsmith:/ now to actually not suck eventually

Is there a way to get less-dangerous looking sixth strings tho? That poo poo always feels like it’s going to cut my pinky off.

Learn some Sabbath

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Speaking of Sabbath is Master of Reality the greatest Christian rock album of all time, or just the greatest rock album of all time?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Speaking of Sabbath is Master of Reality the greatest Christian rock album of all time, or just the greatest rock album of all time?

Everyone needs to get a lil stoned and listen to sabbath records on headphones that's all I know.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So I've been trying to get out of a creative rut lately and part of what I do for that is just blatantly ripping off other people/styles
My main project is industrial noise but I absolutely love old prog poo poo so this is my take of an Alan Parsons/Early Pink Floyd track that would never make it on to anything I'll release but I think it's neat so I wanted to share it.

And to make it interesting beyond just "here's a rando posting a track" it's a good sound demo for the Tim Henson neural plugin because all the guitar stuff is through that and the bass is darkglass.
https://vocaroo.com/19IDycz1M0Va

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gramps posted:

Learn some Sabbath

I think I figured out a BYC riff, how’s that? Maybe I’ll figure out Supernaut next.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I think I figured out a BYC riff, how’s that? Maybe I’ll figure out Supernaut next.

YES let the power of the riff consume you

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i start my first guitar lesson next week, my goal is to eventually be able to play through this whole album with solos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpAC1vr_pcg

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gramps posted:

YES let the power of the riff consume you

https://youtu.be/myqSETD5_bs

:sun:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

its actually the black parade

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

landgrabber posted:

its actually the black parade

What about Diary?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

pinky shredding 6th string adventures:
- up the string gauge
- get annoyed at the tension
- downtune play some sabbath
- tune back up and practice enough to get the callouses
- get in a rut, lose callouses
- give up, played bass

Though jokes aside, I only needed the most minor of callouses once I got the fine motor control to press the string just barely enough to get a clean note. Now even though I'm not really well enough to play regularly & keep up the callouses, it feels so much less like a cheese slicer.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No seriously how do you make it so that string doesn’t annihilate your poor fingies :(

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Pollyanna posted:

No seriously how do you make it so that string doesn’t annihilate your poor fingies :(

tough it out for a week or two

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

keep at it
then one day you'll wake up and realize you have no feeling in any of your fingertips

and pray it's related to the guitar

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

no shortcuts. Practice like a banshee for a couple weeks and your callouses will be mighty

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Ever since I discovered Yvette Young I have tapping calluses. It rules.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

TheMightyBoops posted:

What about Diary?

i was posting black parade just for the bit. it's not even the best MCR album (which is three cheers).

diary is really loving good though. in circles is kinda the essence of emo to me-- some clear punk influence but more emotional, interplay between clean, twinkly guitars and heavy dirty ones, and octave riffs.

honestly for me??? it might be jimmy eat world - clarity.

you do not expect it from the band that made the middle, which is a good song-- but clarity is like, an impossibly well executed blueprint for like every melodic punk/emo album that came after it. but it's also so much more progressive and large scale at times and yet it feels so cohesive. and the drums sound really loving incredible.

it's really rare that i actually get addicted to an album after listening to it. it's only happened three or four times before-- but god it's such a crazy feeling.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

lazerwolf posted:

depends on how much you need a set of strings that a company you already like doesn't sell for a cheaper price

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

landgrabber posted:

i was posting black parade just for the bit. it's not even the best MCR album (which is three cheers).

diary is really loving good though. in circles is kinda the essence of emo to me-- some clear punk influence but more emotional, interplay between clean, twinkly guitars and heavy dirty ones, and octave riffs.

honestly for me??? it might be jimmy eat world - clarity.

you do not expect it from the band that made the middle, which is a good song-- but clarity is like, an impossibly well executed blueprint for like every melodic punk/emo album that came after it. but it's also so much more progressive and large scale at times and yet it feels so cohesive. and the drums sound really loving incredible.

it's really rare that i actually get addicted to an album after listening to it. it's only happened three or four times before-- but god it's such a crazy feeling.

The singer from SDRE went turbo Christian at some point.

I like Clarity a lot too, there was a DJ in Milwaukee radio who would always play stuff off of it when I was in hs.

Edit: Also even without the singles Bleed American is good front to back.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 8, 2023

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

TheMightyBoops posted:

The singer from SDRE went turbo Christian at some point.

I like Clarity a lot too, there was a DJ in Milwaukee radio who would always play stuff off of it when I was in hs.

Edit: Also even without the singles Bleed American is good front to back.

yeah and somehow the singer from SDRE still doesn't have the worst takes (which goes to nate mendel, now in the foo fighters, who thinks AIDS isn't real).

bleed american is probably my least favorite out of the clarity/BA/futures run, with the caveat that sweetness is easily their best song and like probably one of the best songs ever

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The lovely folks at Mesa walked me through diagnosing my Mark V over the phone and found a blown 12AX7 and told me how to replace it. Now I don't have to impulsively go into debt for a Mark VII, hooray!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i am officially the biggest moron in the thread

it's a CS NOS '62 time capsule

Im loving dumb as hell god I am dumb

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 9, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kazinsal posted:

The lovely folks at Mesa walked me through diagnosing my Mark V over the phone and found a blown 12AX7 and told me how to replace it. Now I don't have to impulsively go into debt for a Mark VII, hooray!

(Also works for Porsche fans)

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ethanol posted:

it's a CS NOS '62 time capsule

Im loving dumb as hell god I am dumb

If I someday had 3000 dollars of disposable income I’d definitely buy one of those used Gibson hollow bodies from the custom shop.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

If I someday had 3000 dollars of disposable income I’d definitely buy one of those used Gibson hollow bodies from the custom shop.

tbf i have to sell 2 also strat guitars to cover this

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

ethanol posted:

how does it feel/sound compared to a (not busted) american standard strat? custom shop guitars like this are an unknown quantity for me, best guitars i've ever played are just japanese and american production instruments like esp e-ii, prs s2, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I too made a questionable financial decision. But an excellent musical one :hmmyes: