Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

People will spend hours setting up complicated email filters instead of just clicking the “unsubscribe” button on the newsletters they don’t want.

Or just have a second email address for signups to that stuff and only check it occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Do any of the calorie tracking apps have good Siri or shortcut support? Would be nice to be able to do a “hey siri, add a bowl of Frosties to my breakfast calories” or tap a little NFC tag for regularly eaten snack and have it track quickly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I used foodnoms before and it could do that. You have to configure it with Siri Shortcuts. I bought a roll of nfc stickers and it worked fine.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Thanks! I’ll check it out. Adding a spare NFC tag to the tin of tea bags will definitely speed up that process.

I just noticed that Lose It shows up under shortcuts so I could theoretically use that maybe but it’s only a list of common items that the phone has recognised and I’d still have to use the app to manually make new ones.

edit: Ah drat, seems the barcode database is completely US centric. Tried a bunch of stuff in my house and none of them were recognised. Major shame since the design of the app is WAY nicer than the kinda ugly Lose It and MyFitnessPal apps :(

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 8, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah other than MFP the only app I could find with support for non-US barcodes (the UK for me) was Lifesum

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do any of the calorie tracking apps have good Siri or shortcut support? Would be nice to be able to do a “hey siri, add a bowl of Frosties to my breakfast calories” or tap a little NFC tag for regularly eaten snack and have it track quickly.

Pretty sure LoseIt! has this and it's been way better than MyFitnessPal for me. Canadian.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just to use that app as an example, we’ve had the ability to see in app purchases for how long and the listings still look like this.

Like, who knows how much a year of this app costs.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just to use that app as an example, we’ve had the ability to see in app purchases for how long and the listings still look like this.

Like, who knows how much a year of this app costs.

On the plus side, it shows how much they mess around with pricing, and to hold off until a sale if it’s currently $39 in-app.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

What subscription apps do you use?

I'm using Drafts Pro ($19.99/year, amazing general purpose text editing, processing, scripting), no ads for Overcast ($9.99/year, using it for badly recorded podcasts), and trying out TickTick ($2.99/month, persistent reminders that I can't ignore, multi-platform).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I'm using Drafts Pro ($19.99/year, amazing general purpose text editing, processing, scripting), no ads for Overcast ($9.99/year, using it for badly recorded podcasts), and trying out TickTick ($2.99/month, persistent reminders that I can't ignore, multi-platform).

Overcast

Ivory

Parcel

Halide (may cancel)

Pestle, but I paid for the lifetime license recently (such a great recipe app)

Infuse (better video/audio playback with plex libraries)

Apollo, but I bought a lifetime license during one of his annual charity drives

I have access to lots of apps that went monthly but I managed to locked in a permanent upgrade - SwiftScan, PDF Expert, as well as betas that have free IAPs like DayOne.

I don’t mind paying for a “pricy” lifetime license ($20-$40) if I support an app developer’s overall vision.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 9, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Overcast

Pocket Casts (I switch between this and Overcast sometimes, got grandfathered into the lifetime premium though)

Ivory

Apollo (lifetime)

Parcel

Flighty (So far I've only subbed for a month at a time when I'm going on a flight, I just love how the app looks)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

Of these, I’m probably going to get the lifetime license of strong before it rolls over and I’m actively moving away from the apple one stuff since I don’t really use much of the whole package lately.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
AnyList

Nebula

Channels

1Blocker

I did sub to Hello Weather but since weather underground restricted their access to their own app (which blows), I haven’t found any alternative weather service with accurate forecasts worth a drat. Which really really sucks since I really enjoyed the Hello Weather customization.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Unless the dev removed it, 1Blocker should have a lifetime license. I forgot to add that one to my list.

Thwomp posted:

I did sub to Hello Weather but since weather underground restricted their access to their own app (which blows), I haven’t found any alternative weather service with accurate forecasts worth a drat. Which really really sucks since I really enjoyed the Hello Weather customization.

They announced a new API adapter last month and in that post announced they are updating HW as well:

https://helloweather.com/blog/introducing-weather-machine

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 9, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Skeezy posted:

Unless the dev removed it, 1Blocker should have a lifetime license. I forgot to add that one to my list.

It's still there

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah that's one of those lifetime apps I also subbed to. I figured it was worth it.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 9, 2023

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

They announced a new API adapter last month and in that post announced they are updating HW as well:

https://helloweather.com/blog/introducing-weather-machine

Oh gently caress that rules. I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is 1Blocker that much better than Adguard Pro? I bought an Adguard Pro lifetime license a long time ago and never looked into other adblock extensions.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Corb3t posted:

Is 1Blocker that much better than Adguard Pro? I bought an Adguard Pro lifetime license a long time ago and never looked into other adblock extensions.

I haven't found anything that makes it better. I switched back to lifetime AdGuard after trying it out.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Corb3t posted:

1Blocker was the first one I ever used so I kinda stuck with that. If Adguard Pro works for you it's probably the same.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

I hate subscription apps with a passion so the only non-service app I subscribe to is Parcel, since £3/yr is extremely reasonable even by my standards.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

EC posted:

I've never used it but I knew a guy who swore by Ferrite for editing his podcasts.

https://www.wooji-juice.com/products/ferrite/

Just circling back now that the work is finished and invoices are in to say thank you for this recommendation! I'm glad I didn't just try and make it work with GarageBand, ngl. Bought Ferrite and it's excellent - I might even prefer Ferrite on the iPad to Audacity on the PC for editing podcasts.

You can record straight into the app (which is what I ended up having to do with the client via a USB condenser), and then editing is really straightforward. Stuff you need for the final mix is intuitive and set up for recorded speech - the noise gate/compressor/etc - and the M1 iPad handled a half hour edit from 3 hours of footage just fine, including automations, and a live noise gate, amplifier and compressor going into the final mix, which it outputs on-the-fly (unlike audacity, which has to stop to bake any effects into the audio clip. The occasional crash when bouncing between different projects quickly though. The app itself is really customiseable, so you can set the exact layout of various buttons/shortcuts. This meant I could set up an ergonomic way to play through the footage and cut out bad takes/chatter without having to bounce my hands around the screen too much, which massively reduced the amount of time the job took.

Works well with stage manager - for the final sprint I plugged it into an external display, and it felt mostly like using a desktop app. Was a great help to be able to have a document open on the iPad's screen with the script/producer notes to refer to.

Only a couple of downsides I'd say about Ferrite -

You can't copy/paste audio clips between projects without exporting them as final mixes, so you need to be quite disciplined with your initial workflow (I was not).

it feels like it wants you to own an Apple Pencil, which I don't. I did find a good setup, but I ended up plugging in a mouse and keyboard for the final automations (setting a few volume automations that needed finer control), because using a finger on the touch screen wouldn't have been precise enough. Works well enough with m/kb though. I feel like this is the case for a lot of iPad apps for professionals, sadly.

But otherwise, thank you again for the recommendation. I'm going to use this as my main editing tool for the foreseeable future. Hopefully this post is useful for anyone doing similar work (******please don't start your own podcast****)

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 9, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apollo for Reddit

CARROT Weather

Ivory for Mastodon by Tapbots

Parcel - Delivery Tracking

Transit

I also use Flighty - Live Flight Tracker when I'm flying places, but since that's not a frequent occurrence, I just subscribe for a month when needed.

E: I'm grandfathered into Overcast, too.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 9, 2023

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Endless Mike posted:

E: I'm grandfathered into Overcast, too.

That's a thing? :monocle:

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Carrot Weather

Money Pro (dropping soon, trash integration with my banks)

1Blocker Legacy

Infuse

Due

Personal Best

I’m also grandfathered into Overcast and Strong before they stopped charging like 6 bucks for the whole app and went Sub

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I actually just checked and I was grandfathered into Overcast Premium as well - Gruber was covering the development of the app and I remember downloading it within the first couple weeks of it being released, back in July 2014. It's been on my home screen ever since, and I've appreciated the continued development and additions like homescreen widgets.

I should probably throw him $10 for all the development over the years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Corb3t posted:

I actually just checked and I was grandfathered into Overcast Premium as well - Gruber was covering the development of the app and I remember downloading it within the first couple weeks of it being released, back in July 2014. It's been on my home screen ever since, and I've appreciated the continued development and additions like homescreen widgets.

I should probably throw him $10 for all the development over the years.

Yeah, I paid $5 for it in 2014 and have been using it ever since. I think there's like one minor feature it doesn't include (uploading podcasts?) but I've never needed it.

E: Can't change the app icon, either lol

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Overcast just feels really clunky and outdated tbh. Like it works fine as a listening device but I really hate using it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I pay for Windy because I obsess over weather conditions (fog, cloud layers, snow depth, etc) at specific locations and all the toggleable layers it has fills that niche. If I lived near an ocean and cared about wave height I'd use it for that too.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Overcast just feels really clunky and outdated tbh. Like it works fine as a listening device but I really hate using it.

I think it’s gotten much worse on the last 3 years, now has fugly colour everywhere and the queue feature hasn’t ever worked in a sane way.

Play next, doesnt.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

wooger posted:

I think it’s gotten much worse on the last 3 years, now has fugly colour everywhere and the queue feature hasn’t ever worked in a sane way.

Play next, doesnt.

?

The redesign and queue feature is what moved me back from PocketCasts. What doesn't work about it?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

101 posted:

?

The redesign and queue feature is what moved me back from PocketCasts. What doesn't work about it?

I’m playing a podcast.

I go to another podcast, press the menu, select ‘play next’. It doesn’t play next. :colbert:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

tuyop posted:

Of these, I’m probably going to get the lifetime license of strong before it rolls over and I’m actively moving away from the apple one stuff since I don’t really use much of the whole package lately.

Check out Hevy before you get that Strong lifetime sub. I find it way better, Strong with the Apple Watch was buggy as hell and never gets updates. Hevy is flawless in this regard and gets updates all the time.

Corb3t posted:

Pestle, but I paid for the lifetime license recently (such a great recipe app)

Is this better than Paprika? I have a subscription to it but it hardly gets updated and the UI is pretty clunky.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

Is this better than Paprika? I have a subscription to it but it hardly gets updated and the UI is pretty clunky.

I haven't used Paprika in ages, but for me, yes. Pestle can...

- Import website recipes from Safari from the share sheet
- Import recipes using OCR from your camera, pdf, image, etc.
- Add RSS website feeds so you can easily view and add new recipes to your recipe book without looking at ads
- Smart folders that lets you easily create smart filters with specific requirements ("I want a cocktail that has XX ingredient")
- Shared family recipe book with other iOS users
- Shared ingredients list that integrates with a shared reminders list (grocery shopping list with partner)
- Shared meal prep calendar that integrates with a shared calendar (grocery calendar with partner)
- Quick about updating the app to include things like dynamic island, lock screen/home screen widgets, etc

I've been meticulously adding all my cocktails, cookbooks, and website recipes to it - I can't tell you how many times I've lost an old recipe because it was taken down. It also seems like most recipe websites are horrible in general due to SEO optimization.

There's a pretty affordable free/monthly period without committing to the lifetime license. You can even import recipes that are in the Paprika recipe format.

Pestle

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 9, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

101 posted:

?

Pocket Casts let’s me skip chapters using the media controls in my car. I’ve been emailing Marco about him adding this to Overcast and have heard nothing (I doubt he’d add it)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

wooger posted:

I’m playing a podcast.

I go to another podcast, press the menu, select ‘play next’. It doesn’t play next. :colbert:

Selecting a podcast and tapping on “Play Next” will/should add it to the top of the “Queue” playlist, and once your current podcast is over it will/should play from said “Queue” playlist top to bottom. If it doesn’t do this then literally the answer is “you’re holding it wrongusing the app wrong” which isn’t a criticism of you, but Marco has said before that the UI/UX of Overcast is custom made for him in a way that makes perfect sense for him and his use case.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Selecting a podcast and tapping on “Play Next” will/should add it to the top of the “Queue” playlist, and once your current podcast is over it will/should play from said “Queue” playlist top to bottom. If it doesn’t do this then literally the answer is “you’re holding it wrongusing the app wrong” which isn’t a criticism of you, but Marco has said before that the UI/UX of Overcast is custom made for him in a way that makes perfect sense for him and his use case.

And if I’m not already playing from the queue playlist, this doesn’t do anything and whatever plays next will be from whatever custom playlist or podcasts listing I selected the current episode from…

Hitting ‘play next’ should obviously play it next regardless of what the current state & playlist is. And it used to work like that.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I'm not a fan of the overcast ui. Downcast is perfect in that regard but it has no audio processing so it's not good for poorly recorded podcasts. I tried pocket cats and the overcast audio is still better.

I tried castro for a while, and it was pretty good but after an iOS update all phone sound would stop if you used airplay on the app like half the time. and it would require a reboot of the phone to fix. I feel like it's probably not the developers fault -- too bad for them and their business!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Corb3t posted:

I haven't used Paprika in ages, but for me, yes. Pestle can...

- Import website recipes from Safari from the share sheet
- Import recipes using OCR from your camera, pdf, image, etc.
- Add RSS website feeds so you can easily view and add new recipes to your recipe book without looking at ads
- Smart folders that lets you easily create smart filters with specific requirements ("I want a cocktail that has XX ingredient")
- Shared family recipe book with other iOS users
- Shared ingredients list that integrates with a shared reminders list (grocery shopping list with partner)
- Shared meal prep calendar that integrates with a shared calendar (grocery calendar with partner)
- Quick about updating the app to include things like dynamic island, lock screen/home screen widgets, etc

I've been meticulously adding all my cocktails, cookbooks, and website recipes to it - I can't tell you how many times I've lost an old recipe because it was taken down. It also seems like most recipe websites are horrible in general due to SEO optimization.

There's a pretty affordable free/monthly period without committing to the lifetime license. You can even import recipes that are in the Paprika recipe format.

Pestle

Nice, I’ll check it out. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Which podcast app do you guys use for discovery? The discovery feature of overcast sucks and all the recommended podcasts are questionable to me.