Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Floppychop posted:

I saw someone post a screenshot from MW2. When did the Timber Wolf's tonnage change?

It is fun to note that this is from before they changed how mechbuilding worked. A lot of machines got minor changes - the 'modern' Mad Cat Prime doesn't have that ER small laser!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, it was modeled with more weapons than it actually had. IIRC it was supposed to be 2 medium pulse lasers and 4 MGs across the torsos.

Which would work with LRM-15s instead of LRM-20s

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

the alpha strike box seems like a good deal when it comes to getting mechs, are they the same era as what's in the agoac box?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Len posted:

the alpha strike box seems like a good deal when it comes to getting mechs, are they the same era as what's in the agoac box?

AS Box sets are set in the IlClan Era, although I think one side of their AS card is Succession War era, other side is IlClan era, so more expensive but more cool stuff.

It is a really cool deal and I'm tempted to buy another.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It's got character, it looks like a Mad Cat but lighter. It's not going to get confused for something else.

It's going to get confused for a defective print at the factory. It took an existing design and just made it worse

quote:

No one who's an OG Battletech fan gets to complain about clix sculpts. Your complaint card is revoked.

gently caress off with this poo poo.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I love the OG tech readout unfinished-draftboard sketch artwork. I genuinely miss it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

There is a 55 ton Mad Cat III. It's cute. Except for the MWDA miniature, which begs for a merciful death.

Please. Kill me.

this poor mech is being starved, that's mech cruelty. someone get this poor kitty to a no-kill hangar immediately

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I like that the Mad Cat III's current artwork makes it look a fair bit like Mickey Mouse.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

It's going to get confused for a defective print at the factory. It took an existing design and just made it worse

It's a different mech 20 tons lighter. No one complains about the Mad Cat MKII looking fatter than the original. or the Savage Wolf looking more feral. Different mech, different design, but similarities are present.

quote:

gently caress off with this poo poo.

If criticism of clix designs is fair game, so is criticism of old BT designs. And I get tired of clix getting beat up nearly every time something related to it comes up. Game's been dead for 15 years, it saved BattleTech, leave it be.

Say what you will about clix designs, but they were plenty unique, and you'd never confuse one chassis for a different one.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 9, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Len posted:

The mechs themselves are largely the same mechs as you would get in other packs, maybe a repose or two. I'm not going to go through the whole list of packs to see if there's anything specifically unique. I don't think the Madcat is any different to the Madcat in the Clan Invasion box for instance. You can use the models for the Succession Wars if the mech existed in that era or you can play in any other era.

Many of the Inner Sphere mechs will line up with the AGOAC mechs (Phoenix Hawk, Locust, Atlas, Warhammer, Archer, and Wasp are all very common in that era). The Clan mechs will all come after AGOAC as they are part of the Clan Invasion and later. You can easily add you AGOAC mechs to the Alpha Strike set for even larger games of Alpha Strike.

The models can be used both for Classic Battletech and Alpha Strike. Battletech has never really been a WYSIWYG kind of a game. So long as it was clear* what you were trying to represent, you could use models, coins, bottlecaps, etc.

*clear being defined however your group felt like, from simple declarations that this coin is a Battlemaster, to using color codes, to taping a strip of paper with the mech's name on it. etc

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Well, no, because it's based on one from a fan podcast and they've been giving them out for free at tournaments for 3+ years. So it's probably poppynin's one

Then it was probably getting permission to use it and other rights and logistics issues. There hasn't been an official tournament format of any kind for a very long time outside of major conventions prior to the BTCC packet and I'm very certain that there especially hasn't been one for Alpha Strike. Source: I've been trying to get momentum behind them on the demo team for years and it has been like pulling teeth.

That's not to say there haven't been any tournaments or that this widget didn't get handed out at some, but there's a much larger gulf than you might think between "a thing exists" and "a thing is for sale by Catalyst" and the odds of it having anything to do with being deliberately kept out of the AS box are abysmally low.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

If criticism of clix designs is fair game, so is criticism of old BT designs. And I get tired of clix getting beat up nearly every time something related to it comes up. Game's been dead for 15 years, it saved BattleTech, leave it be.

Say what you will about clix designs, but they were plenty unique, and you'd never confuse one chassis for a different one.

Hey maybe we just don't turn it into us versus them about any part of the loving art at all, that seems like a good idea.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

Hey maybe we just don't turn it into us versus them about any part of the loving art at all, that seems like a good idea.

Beat me to it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Comparing the shared design language of concept art to the production quality of a low-cost miniature seems like it's not the way.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I will always have a soft spot for the clix game facilitating the delightful pun of calling the upgunned Dragon's Fury agromech the "Draconis Combine."

Also long before Alpha Strike it centered combined arms to give a better sense of scale and variety of units than how most people played rock em sock em CBT and that was neat.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Don't get me wrong: I loved Clix when I played it for exactly the reason you said. I'm not going to pretend they're great models though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

They were not.

Also wizkids plastic was weird and bad. Like it was some sort of waxy resin made of ground up earwigs or something.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sarna has photos of the Alpha Strike counters pack and the backside text thanks Andrew Krull and Wolfnet for the measuring tool https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Alpha_Strike_Counters_Pack

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

This was extremely not cool and I wanted to tell you that to your face

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Yeah but your criticism is stupid, those iconic art pieces rule. Sorry you feel the need to get defensive over your favorite toys.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
my cousin had a rifleman model when i was seven, big plastic one, i feel like it was at least six inches tall. i never cared much about tanks but i was utterly fascinated with giant robots from the moment i saw it. this was in the mid to late eighties so it could have been a robotech model for all i know, but it was instantly recognizable as a rifleman. beautiful model. i had to know more about it and the universe it came from. and that's how i met battletech

i still think about that rifleman model, it was rad

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I used to have one of these when I was a kid. I honestly had no idea what it was until I learned about Battletech as a teen but I played with that toy all the time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm so mad I never had any of the K*Nex Battletech kits. Those things rule so hard.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Yeah I've never been happier to see a Hollander than I was to spot one on the shelves of a TK Maxx. Still sits in a display cabinet in my childhood bedroom.

TheKingslayer posted:

I used to have one of these when I was a kid. I honestly had no idea what it was until I learned about Battletech as a teen but I played with that toy all the time.

That's the 3.5" one. I bought a bunch of the 7" line on deep discount in what was, I think, a KB toys outlet in Orlando back in 1997 because the cartoon had put "giant robots are cool" into my head and those looked like cool giant robots to pretend were the Tyco toys that never made it to Ireland.

You can imagine my surprise when I got MechWarrior 2 in like 99/00 and was all :aaaaa:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I do not care for Duane Loose's tro3025 art and there are quite a few Dark Age redesigns I really like (like the spider) but dear god I think the madcat mkiii looks like poo poo, but admittedly in a perfectly valid in-universe way since it was literally made to appeal to dumb spheroids.

If we want to talk about bad DA designs there were way, way worse.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Strobe posted:

Hard not to when even the mere mention of clix gets tons of folks foaming at the mouths. I've dealt with plenty of fans who treat the clix game as a diseased appendage of the franchise, and since it got me and plenty of fants into the game and lore, that's grating.

But I'll apologize for being out of line causing division. It doesn't need to happen here, I was wrong.

I'll say this, I think the modern Catalyst designs are the best of both words, every 'mech feels unique and iconic but they all share enough common design philosophies that there's a mass manufacturing aspect to them that's appealing.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

bad_fmr posted:

Yeah but your criticism is stupid, those iconic art pieces rule.

They're... endearing, I guess. But lol if that level of line art showed up in a flagship product line today.

Also lots of those designs were funny bad it's okay to laugh at them

https://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/battletech-technical-3025/1/

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Another question that's likely easily answered.

I picked up a Revenant from IWM. How the hell do you base this thing?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

You could leave it unbased, or make a big ol base for it. The main thing is of course that it’s clear which hex it occupies and where its facing is. The Facebook group BattleTech Painting and Customs has a couple of ideas if you search for the mech.

I’d hate to have it sit lower than everything else in my forces so I would base it… hm, maybe I’d make a ”flight stand” of sorts for it and the stand would sit on the base with the legs dangling outside of it. I dunno

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Floppychop posted:

Another question that's likely easily answered.

I picked up a Revenant from IWM. How the hell do you base this thing?

Looks like IWM has extra large bases for that:
https://www.ironwindmetals.com/index.php/product-listing/product/bases-99-203/category_pathway-2

They also have regular sized flat top bases for unbased minis that overflow the original hex base:
https://www.ironwindmetals.com/index.php/product-listing/product/bases-99-201/category_pathway-2
https://www.ironwindmetals.com/index.php/product-listing/product/bases-99-202/category_pathway-2

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Several of my minis (like the one that shares my name) are on an upside down base for that reason.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a cyborg mug posted:

You could leave it unbased, or make a big ol base for it. The main thing is of course that it’s clear which hex it occupies and where its facing is. The Facebook group BattleTech Painting and Customs has a couple of ideas if you search for the mech.

I’d hate to have it sit lower than everything else in my forces so I would base it… hm, maybe I’d make a ”flight stand” of sorts for it and the stand would sit on the base with the legs dangling outside of it. I dunno
I'd probably end up putting a wire mount in to hold it to a standard base, because I hate inconsistent basing in my toys. It's one of the reasons I disliked the scale creep of newer mechs over the years.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Defiance Industries posted:

Several of my minis (like the one that shares my name) are on an upside down base for that reason.

I've got a few like that as well, mostly the ones with wide feet.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Cool. I have some of the standard IWM bases and some Reaper ones the same size, but I didn't even think to look for other sized bases on their site. Gonna feel weird having something on a base that overlaps the hexes that much though.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

They're... endearing, I guess. But lol if that level of line art showed up in a flagship product line today.

Also lots of those designs were funny bad it's okay to laugh at them

https://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/battletech-technical-3025/1/

Oh I did not know there was a front page article about them. Nice!

Yeah I dont disagree, they are funny and a product of their time. And I like the fact that the art style changes over time, both for good and bad.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

At least they made the Thunder look sad.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BattleTech has always had issues with scale and I guess that's one of its charms. The weapons are often far too big and the mechs are often drawn as being far larger than the 8-16 meters they are said to be, and there's no way they would actually be 20-100 tons - more like 200 to 1000 tons.

But it doesn't really matter, like when I play D&D I don't complain about studded leather armor being what some nerd in the 70s made up whole cloth when seeing illustrations of people wearing brigandine. It makes enough sense for a fantasy setting so who cares.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 9, 2023

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

Oh I did not know there was a front page article about them. Nice!

Yeah I dont disagree, they are funny and a product of their time. And I like the fact that the art style changes over time, both for good and bad.

This one always makes me laugh. I guess it's supposed to be like a 155-203mm equivalent gun but it looks like a bullet bill cannon and where would the reloads even be stored?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah the artists often draw machine guns with a much greater apparent diameter than even a large bore cannon should have considering the sizes of the mechs.

Here's an 8-inch (~203 mm) naval gun, a size common among heavy cruisers in World War II, with crew shown for scale:

This specific example, the BL 8-inch Mk VIII naval gun, had a mass of 17.5 tons (for one single gun, not two as mounted in those turrets) and a shell mass of 116 kg, making it roughly equivalent to an autocannon/20 if one shot could be fired from it every 5 seconds (not possible with the real gun). Much longer range and typically fired in a high-angle arc, but the ranges in BattleTech aren't meant to make sense outside of gameplay. It isn't the largest naval gun size but it's by no means a small weapon. And yet it's tiny by comparison with how the smallest weapons are normally drawn in BattleTech.

The fact that the artists didn't really think about it like this and just drew whatever they thought looked badass is IMO one of the reasons why old BattleTech art is so good even if it's also bad. It's very charming, like doodles in a notebook kind of charming. And as a kid/teen I ate it up.

edit: I'm glad that modern BattleTech art is so much better, though I think the scales are still a bit off

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The scales aren't realistic but the modern stuff at least looks and feels consistent with itself, which is much more important.