Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Oh yes, let's invade a country that's mostly made of mountains, famously impossible to control, against a very well-armed and organized group that also have the tacit support of their government, and let's make sure to do this in a country that's three times that size of the last nation where we tried this and failed completely.

The cartels de facto own the government. They have a kind of power and control in Mexico that corporate America dreams it had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Defenestrategy posted:

I haven't read anything on it, but why is the cartel kidnapping Americans on vacation significant this time? Doesn't the state department usually post warnings of "Hey if you're traveling to mexico, we have limited ways to help you and don't travel to these specific parts because it's real bad."

Random Americans getting kidnapped is always a major news story, as long as it doesn't happen in InnerCity, USA.

As everyone else has pointed out, the Cartels work hand in glove with the Mexican government in many situations. Here the state department is getting involved because it looks bad for the administration that Americans are getting kidnapped next door. Im sure some patsies will be made available to take the blame soon

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 9, 2023

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The major difference I see between the middle east and Mexico is that the people we murdered in Afghanistan and Iraq were fighting for their home and their religion and the cartels have basically the exact same ideology the US government does.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Look, all I’m saying is that if it kills fewer than three hundred thousand Americans per year, Joe Biden should not treat it as a national emergency.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Considering that there is travel advisories for Mexico anyways, its a go at your own risk sort of scenario anyways.

The fact that people keep going to cartel hot spots is insane.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Considering that there is travel advisories for Mexico anyways, its a go at your own risk sort of scenario anyways.

Or kind of like people visiting Afghanistan or Iran rural areas

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

bulletsponge13 posted:

It would be like GWOT but worse, with more casualties.

Is refighting GWOT even on anyone's radar in a post-Feb 2022 world? I don't think anyone could do whatever that was again, fall into those roles, not after everyone's had a taste of the real thing.

Edit: to be clear the fact that artillery wars of extermination are back on the menu is VERY BAD.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Another thing being completely missed in this terrible idea is that the war would be on both sides of the border. The families of US troops and politicians would get targeted.

The cartels have a lot of people in the US already.

The amount of troops getting catfished and found hanging from a bridge near base would be huge.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/jonathanoosting/status/1633641475002232832?s=20

:yeshaha:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

hell yeah

now do WA

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Richard Bong posted:

Another thing being completely missed in this terrible idea is that the war would be on both sides of the border. The families of US troops and politicians would get targeted.

The amount of troops getting catfished and found hanging from a bridge near base would be huge.
I mean, if it's that bad, seems like a problem that'd be best to root out.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Richard Bong posted:

The big question is if they're already "near-peer ISIL" when have we lost our chance entirely? Are they close to an independent deterrent?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

There isn’t a spot where people won’t say that everything is actually fine and that the government and media are lying to you. I’m sure a lot of travelers think it’s all BS, and show up unprepared to deal with life in these areas.

It rubs me the wrong way that aid is only brought up in the context of protecting tourists, and then only in the form of the threat of violence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1633548066753249280

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Oh, that's cool.

Didn't we already exempt ourselves from ICC under threat of military action?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes, but I didn’t think that covered all interactions with the ICC whether they involved American citizens or not. Obama didn’t think so.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

There isn’t a spot where people won’t say that everything is actually fine and that the government and media are lying to you. I’m sure a lot of travelers think it’s all BS, and show up unprepared to deal with life in these areas.

Part of the issue with tourists from the US is that their government was blaring the propaganda horn that things were at MAXIMUM TERROR THREAT LEVEL ULTRAVIOLENT INFRADEAD for about 20 years starting in autumn 2001. So it was really easy to look at the handy color coded chart on the DHS website and notice that the square by Algiers was only a shade darker red than the one by Los Angeles, and nothing has happened in LA for a while so how much worse could it really be? Anybody who thinks about it for more than a minute knows that Algeria is way more dangerous, but of course a lot of people don't.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
81-year-old Senator Mitch McConnell fell and is now hospitalized.

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/09/1162113102/mitch-mcconnell-hospitalized-after-fall

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3Zx4bV0RE

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umc9ezAyJv0

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/threadreaderapp/status/1633683991617327105?t=8cnpQRrbpkLMc-YV6vQq1g&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kesper North posted:

hell yeah

now do WA

For once, Michigan has been a gold standard on what you do when you get a state trifecta (by only two votes!) for the first time in my lifetime. It's been a few months and the abortion ban is already gone (codifying the constitutional vote last year), right-to-work is about to be dead, and a background check law is about to go through.

https://twitter.com/clarajanehen/status/1633647975963533312?t=Baxa-qDPdw7gCe2QDR7x_w&s=19

But you know, growing pains when you haven't had the majority in a long time. A goof will cost a day's work on one of the bills or something.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

bulletsponge13 posted:

Oh, that's cool.

Didn't we already exempt ourselves from ICC under threat of military action?

Oh, about that; I posted this in the GBS Ukraine thread already:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1633548066753249280

quote:

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is blocking the Biden administration from sharing evidence with the International Criminal Court in The Hague gathered by American intelligence agencies about Russian atrocities in Ukraine, according to current and former officials briefed on the matter.

American military leaders oppose helping the court investigate Russians because they fear setting a precedent that might help pave the way for it to prosecute Americans. The rest of the administration, including intelligence agencies and the State and Justice Departments, favors giving the evidence to the court, the officials said.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Biden could just do it anyway, right?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Twitter can’t die fast enough.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mappo posted:

81-year-old Senator Mitch McConnell fell and is now hospitalized.

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/09/1162113102/mitch-mcconnell-hospitalized-after-fall

On the one had, too bad so sad, on the other, he'll be replaced with someone worse.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A.o.D. posted:

On the one had, too bad so sad, on the other, he'll be replaced with someone worse.

I doubt his replacement will be on par with him in terms of power and influence. He held the spotlight for so long that his absence will leave a void. The GOP has proven it has issues filling leadership voids.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Tiny Timbs posted:

It rubs me the wrong way that aid is only brought up in the context of protecting tourists, and then only in the form of the threat of violence.

So wait - do yall think people shouldn't visit American cities because of the gun violence?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ASAPI posted:

I doubt his replacement will be on par with him in terms of power and influence. He held the spotlight for so long that his absence will leave a void. The GOP has proven it has issues filling leadership voids.

Right now my head is that cartoon where someone says they're gonna pray for the other person and then the next panel it's all "Oh Lord Satan please kill this person I hate you I hate you I hate you die die die." One of the few ways through this poo poo is the competent Republicans die off and the party stops being able to effectively wield power. The crazies are taking over the party and doing evil poo poo either way, but with the smart ones dead they can hopefully turn into a circular firing squad and stop hurting everyone else.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
By worse I hope that it was understood that I meant in the sense of morality and quality as a human being. Not that McConnell was an exemplar in either category, but I also don't particularly think that he's a white nationalist.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

For once, Michigan has been a gold standard on what you do when you get a state trifecta (by only two votes!) for the first time in my lifetime. It's been a few months and the abortion ban is already gone (codifying the constitutional vote last year), right-to-work is about to be dead, and a background check law is about to go through.

https://twitter.com/clarajanehen/status/1633647975963533312?t=Baxa-qDPdw7gCe2QDR7x_w&s=19

But you know, growing pains when you haven't had the majority in a long time. A goof will cost a day's work on one of the bills or something.

Whoa, good for them. Let’s check on a non-Dem controlled state:

quote:

Child marriage ban bill defeated in West Virginia House

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — A bill that would have prohibited minors from getting married in West Virginia was defeated Wednesday night in a legislative committee.

The Republican-dominated Senate Judiciary Committee rejected the bill on a 9-8 vote, a week after it passed the House of Delegates.

The vote came shortly after the bill’s main sponsor, Democratic Del. Kayla Young of Kanawha County, testified briefly before the committee. She said that since 2000 there have been more than 3,600 marriages in the state involving one or more children.

Currently, children can marry as young as 16 in West Virginia with parental consent. Anyone younger than that also must get a judge’s waiver.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 9, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Grip it and rip it posted:

So wait - do yall think people shouldn't visit American cities because of the gun violence?

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

quote:

Gun violence

The rate of firearm possession in the US is high. It’s legal in many states for US citizens to openly carry firearms in public.

Incidences of mass shootings occur, resulting most often in casualties. Although tourists are rarely involved, there is a risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Familiarize yourself on how to respond to an active shooter situation.

Active Shooter Event Quick Reference Guide - Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I would recommend that all of our foreign friends heed official government advice on not honking at traffic lest a Ram driver in chunky plastic sunglasses gets offended and starts blasting.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/WMurphyNews/status/1633639875281924097?t=vSh945Xid_6zLwnegQcoAQ&s=19

@ltgovmcnally: A little moody after being used. Why do guys always freak out when I ask them to spit in my mouth? Need a real king that can handle.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/WMurphyNews/status/1633639875281924097?t=vSh945Xid_6zLwnegQcoAQ&s=19

@ltgovmcnally: A little moody after being used. Why do guys always freak out when I ask them to spit in my mouth? Need a real king that can handle.

The response is good for a hearty laugh.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh cause he's a great-grandfather he can't be a creep?

Or are they saying this kid is his great grandson and he's a super creep?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I guess this confirms the idea that the attack in MX was an accident rather than intentional. El Grupo Escorpiones has apologized and handed over some dudes to whoever wants to take revenge.

https://twitter.com/ElParece/status/1633866013841162249?s=20

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thank god none of this is my job because I have no idea how to really process the cartels. Either as organizations, or their various behaviors which range from cartoon-evil to actual renounce-all-humanity evil.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Notahippie posted:

I guess this confirms the idea that the attack in MX was an accident rather than intentional. El Grupo Escorpiones has apologized and handed over some dudes to whoever wants to take revenge.

https://twitter.com/ElParece/status/1633866013841162249?s=20

Yeah figured something like this would happen - Dead americans who aren't invovled in the drug biz is bad for biz. There is a certain amount of background violence that gets treated as noise by the power that be - step outside those boundaries and things start getting reshuffled and a new normal has to be found.

The fact that we continue on like this instead of simply legalizing drugs is absolutley a testament to the hyprocracy of every person involved in the drug war. The USA has 100% lost and enforcement efforts are seen as an expense instead of an actual hinderance. If we want to get rid of the cartels then legalization is probably the only avenue available.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Thank god none of this is my job because I have no idea how to really process the cartels. Either as organizations, or their various behaviors which range from cartoon-evil to actual renounce-all-humanity evil.

They're a business that has dealings with both the cirminal underworld and with world governments. As such they employ a wide range of techniques of conflict management. When you're dealing with betrayal within your own ranks or a rival outlaw organization you use unimaginable cruelty to drive home the point that nobody from that side of the law should gently caress with you because it won't be worth the trouble. When dealing with official government entities you do whatever minimizes your exposure and expense. The whole idea is to be too powerful for criminals to gently caress with and too meek for a response like what Al-Qaeda got in Afghanistan.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Yeah figured something like this would happen - Dead americans who aren't invovled in the drug biz is bad for biz. There is a certain amount of background violence that gets treated as noise by the power that be - step outside those boundaries and things start getting reshuffled and a new normal has to be found.

The fact that we continue on like this instead of simply legalizing drugs is absolutley a testament to the hyprocracy of every person involved in the drug war. The USA has 100% lost and enforcement efforts are seen as an expense instead of an actual hinderance. If we want to get rid of the cartels then legalization is probably the only avenue available.

This always gets me as well. We know that the cartels are running a modern style military/corporate "business". I wouldn't be surprised if they had fleshed out HR systems and staff at this point.

Legalizing the substances that they traffic in would change so many variables. It would likely be the most impactful action towards the cartels in the "war on drugs" other than extensive drone strikes (which would likely backfire somehow).