Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oh man, a new DLC AND the reverse recruitment mod was updated for it.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So uh, what's the strat for 24?

Past Alear just runs up and lodestar rushes someone to death while dodging everything. Then on his life bar does 3 hits to anything with 45 damage each. Despite playing on casual so no units stay dead I still want to do it deathless and he seems kinda overtuned.

I always use Lyn clones to bait stuff like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah if you need to bait out a dangerous attack, use Lyn clones or Bonded Shield

If it's an Engage attack, if you Engage yourself, you take half damage. No, the game does not say this anywhere outside a loading screen tip. So if you need to tank an Engage attack (which Bonded Shield/Chain Guard won't work on), have someone who is themselves Engaged take the hit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tae posted:

As far as bait, send someone with Roy to Hold Out, they literally can't die as long as it's just that one combat interaction.

You should have more than enough offensive power to kill via Seadal+Byleth dance at that point, after a Corrin debuff.

This actually doesn't work as I found out to Rosado's misfortune. Engage attacks don't seem to count for hold out.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Barreft posted:

Oh man, a new DLC AND the reverse recruitment mod was updated for it.

I have to give the devs strong praise for listening to people saying it's dumb as hell that "train up your bond rank so you can learn new skills" and "learn new skills" are not done in the same location, and adding Inherit Skills in the Arena.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All I ask for now is the ability to change the outfits characters wear in battle. Hoping it'll be in the last wave :pray:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I love this fast DLC release. I'd def rather have it all at release but this is way better then waiting 3+ months for each dragged out a year.

Now to get these new emblems

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I've played through the DLC. Chrom and Robin are even gayer than Ike and Soren. Their conversation with Lucina after the map is delightful. Veronica has a skill that takes half of your missing HP and adds it to attack which is very fun on my 94 HP Boucheron.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What is this tone shift the game has had in the last few chapters leading up to the end? Suddenly everything is very dramatic and am i really suppose to be sympathetic to the Hounds of all characters? Everybody be dying and poo poo and except for Alear, they get to die like 3 times in the span of 2 cutscenes and 1 mission

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Easy enough to be sympathetic towards team rocket imo

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Or maybe people hated it because Fates weapons had stupid penalties like "your stats decrease every single combat round" or "this weapon is good every other round and garbage the other half," while the other penalties like "is heavy" or "cannot follow up" were fine, and all you had to do to fix it was get rid of the former?

impossible to say

Oh no the Silver Weapons have a pretty severe penalty. If only Fates didn’t have ten thousand other viable weapons for me to choose from.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Oh no the Silver Weapons have a pretty severe penalty. If only Fates didn’t have ten thousand other viable weapons for me to choose from.

I mean, iron weapons are weak without forging and steels make it so you need 8 AS to double which means only super fast or super slow units aren’t affected, and on top of that Conquest is pretty stingy about handing out weapons so in that campaign at least your options kinda are limited. To the point where I question why Silvers are buyable on that campaign since they might as well be enemy-only weapons for all the good they do the player.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

trading attack speed for power is a common way to patch up str in a lot of games anyways. silvers were the egregious ones for sure

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does anyone actually defend build, please get rid of build forever

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
build's the least dumb way of making fast but weak units not trivialise their drawback through powerful weapons. could it be done better? for sure. is the principle wrong? no.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I like con/build. It's another way to differentiate units.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I like con/build when it’s not artificially keeping all the female units down.

So in Engage.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
funnily enough i feel like engage is a bit unfair with its build stat in terms of gender, though the units that get hit hardest by this (lapis and jade) already face problems independent of their build being underwhelming. framme also has atrocious build but that at least parses because of how fists and staves work

kagetsu's bases are all dumb but having 9 build on top of everything else, letting him wield killing edges with minimal penalty when the whole reason he comes with a wo dao is because it's lighter than a killing edge, is another one that stands out

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Build seemed to work exactly as intended for me in Engage so I suppose they should keep doing that. Basically units will get just enough build level ups that by the end of the game they will be using cooler weapons than at the start. Plus it adds a fun little bit of variety so you get situations like "Oh Chloe got more build than usual let's give her something heavy".

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Build’s cool and it’s hype as hell when a unit procs build on level up.

Now add back movement growth

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
oh, Chrom has an ability to prevent counter attacks from cover, that's not absolutely cracked at all

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I love relay trials, got 2 second seals from 4 trials I joined at chapter 6 so I could reclass Vander into a griffin immediately to keep some extra healing on hand.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Build feels like rear end because it's the only stat that's pointless once it's high enough.

I genuinely wonder how you're supposed to beat the Sigurd paralogue without Sigurd going all in. I want those exp pinatas but it's hard when Sigurd is letting himself get murdered

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ungulateman posted:

funnily enough i feel like engage is a bit unfair with its build stat in terms of gender, though the units that get hit hardest by this (lapis and jade) already face problems independent of their build being underwhelming. framme also has atrocious build but that at least parses because of how fists and staves work

kagetsu's bases are all dumb but having 9 build on top of everything else, letting him wield killing edges with minimal penalty when the whole reason he comes with a wo dao is because it's lighter than a killing edge, is another one that stands out

or does he come with a wo dao because he's a prepromo swordmaster and this is fire emblem

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Katgetsu starts with a wo dao because he's a swordmaster from not-Japan and the wo dao is a not-katana.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's also strictly inferior to the killing edge which the game won't hand you without forging.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People that got the FEH items sure had it easy, huh. Just casually +5 might of a iron lance.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Yeah, engage is probably way better than any other games at handling it but it’s still not what I’d consider outstanding wrt not giving units bad/good base build that’s at odds with their deals as characters.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The way Engage handles Build is great because, like most other things, the game lets you solve the problem by dedicating some of your limited resources to it. At any given time you'll have several Engraves that can reduce Weight, or you can forge up a lighter weapon to be as strong as a heavier one. Pretty much everything in Engage comes back to "do you want to spend resources fixing that, or do you want to spend them on this instead?" It's the best thing about the game.

My one complaint is that Build is supposed to be Boucheron's big mechanical thing, except 1) his base still isn't great so it takes quite a while for his Build advantage to actually materialize, and 2) heavier weapons are also more expensive to forge, so you're unlikely to prioritize them. I wish he was actually good! He just doesn't have the bases.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Build just seems like worse speed

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
I think they're really close to nailing Build but the one thing that I would like to see is some/any kind of mechanical upside for having low build. Games with the Rescue feature kiiinda did this by making so it so higher Con meant you were harder to pick up by mounted units (or you were unable to pick up heavier units because your own Con was high) but in practice I think only like...Hawkeye and Mordecai were ever meaningfully affected by that

I don't think it has to necessarily outweigh the benefits of having a higher Build stat, but some kind of low Build perk would keep it from feeling explicitly like a Woman (And Rosado) Tax.

All that said, the Hector Emblem gives you Heavy Attack, which gives you bonus attack if the weapon Wt you're using exceeds your Bld, so that's something, at least, even if it caps at +5.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I just liked it when strength was effective build.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I just liked it when strength was effective build.

I like this the most of any of the build systems because the enemy is affected the least by it, but I guess that’s a good argument for just not having it at all. :v:

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Strength as Build has some interesting mechanical applications, like PoR Illyana having a meaningful Str growth somewhat offsetting her lower Spd growth, allowing her to occasionally get effectively +2 AS on level up in the early/mid game to make up for Soren's earlier availability and having better Spd growth, and also allowing her to make knives...still not really practical, but at least not a complete joke against other casters.

But on the whole I think I prefer how Engage handles it because Build remains relevant for the whole game, as opposed to something you just kinda forget about once your stats get high enough.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tired Moritz posted:

I genuinely wonder how you're supposed to beat the Sigurd paralogue without Sigurd going all in. I want those exp pinatas but it's hard when Sigurd is letting himself get murdered

He has 15 move and wants to give you a little kiss, it’s not his fault Alear is so smoochable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Managed to get a super early master seal with relay trials as well as several second seals. It's time for griffin Vander and Axe Fighter Clanne to carry this run.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's kind of insane how much the well changes the game. And since it's a free update, it changes it for everyone.

The fact that you can fairly reliably get a couple hundred more SP per battle, and will sometimes get like 1500 or more, that you can just give to any unit you want is a game changer for skill inheritance. A lot of things that were previously out of reach without insane grinding are now well within reach. Like it wouldn't even be that crazy to inherit something like Speedtaker and Lunar Brace on the same unit or something. Or you could actually inherit Hold Out to put on a Vantage/Wrath unit. And those are on the lower end.

Veronica's SP Conversion skill is kind of funny because if that had been in the last DLC wave, it would've been a huge deal. In this one, though, the well dwarfs it easily.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Having played PoR recently I can say that wanting Str as Con is basically proxy for not wanting it at all

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What kind of stuff should I toss in the well? Since gold is so scarce I've been selling extra stuff when I need to, trying to find a rule of thumb for when Well Stuff outweighs extra gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

What kind of stuff should I toss in the well? Since gold is so scarce I've been selling extra stuff when I need to, trying to find a rule of thumb for when Well Stuff outweighs extra gold

Honestly I've just been chucking random iron and steel weapons that I'm not using in there. It helps that I'm on my third playthrough so I know when I'm going to get more money and what things I need to spend it on, so money hasn't been an issue at all for this run.

Unless you're really broke I'd say to use the well rather than selling things, just because it's so good to get like 1600 SP worth of consumable skill books just for trading in five steel weapons I wasn't using anyway. But that could just be warped by me not really struggling with money on this run to begin with so this might be bad advice. Also if you get things from the well that you don't need you can always just throw them back in for another roll.