Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Wait a minute, is the steering committee aware of this? Make sure before you start the workshop (but after the pre-workshop) you submit any requests to the Change Advisory Board.

Who is sponsoring this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
The real question is who is the owner? Who wants to own this task.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’ll make a RACI chart so we can get to the bottom of this.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
There are 3 hours of workshops scheduled for workstream 1. We can discuss the work that needs shopping in the workstream kickoff. No i will not send any material ahead of time, even though this is basically off the shelf software deployment and the process is well defined.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Let's invite the consultant or someone with experience to tell us how to do this deploy.

haha, I'm just kidding. We have 4 MBAs in this room, we can just come up with our own plan.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Automatic reply: Trabant OOO

Thank you for your email!

I will be out of office through March 20th and will respond to your message once I have returned. If you have any questions about the deployment process in the meantime, please contact Lockback.

Thank you,
Trabant

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Trabant posted:

Automatic reply: Trabant OOO

I will be out of office through March 20th and will respond to your message once I have returned. If you have any questions about the deployment process in the meantime, please contact Lockback.

Thank you,
Trabant

Lockback posted:

Automatic reply: Lockback OOO

I will be out of office through March 20th and will respond to your message once I have returned. If you have any questions about the deployment process in the meantime, please contact Trabant.

Thank you,
Lockback

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
OK, we've scheduled roll-out of this for March 20th based on a non-SME stakeholder's arbitrary, "aspirational" demands. Now let's work backward from there and figure out how long we can allocate to each action on critical path.

(Most drug projects that come into my department are like this, btw. Someone up the chain hears about a molecule and decides that clinical trials will start for it on Date X. Therefore, I have to have it manufactured by Date X - 60. However, nobody knows how to synthesize the molecule yet, what the formulation is, or what the dosing regimen will be in the clinic. As a result, the formulator can't start formulation work, tox studies can't run, nobody can tell me the dose or raw materials needed, and I can't place any supply orders or start qualifying equipment, let alone write the batch record.)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 8, 2023

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

There isn’t even a project charter or sponsor, pack it in guys. Also no voice of the customer (which hasn’t been assigned because there’s been no DMAIC or SIPOC done yet). Just heard from the ELT though, and no one wants to be a sponsor or champion because there isn’t a completed one of the above yet, and none of the department leads will pony up the manpower to do one without a signed off project charter.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

lmao and :golfclap:

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
My director complemented me on my office politics recently.... help me. :downsgun:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Trabant posted:

lmao and :golfclap:

The true story is even worse.

I needed help from person A, who's OOO pointed them to person B, who's OOO pointed them back to person A or....to me, as a secondary.

No I did not call myself next.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ok guys, I'm the new contact for this. I will personally see to it that this project is successful, and I have all the documentation and plans on my own laptop. If you need anything, ANYTHING, come to me personally. I will make sure I'm involved in every step.

lockack@company.com <deactivated>

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Guys, you gotta stop. I'm having flashbacks and breaking into a cold sweat

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hey guys I know I just started here but I figured out a way to do this so much faster.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have never appreciated more that my job is "here is money, turn this into at least this many sold units. No I dont want to know what you're doing or be involved or stop you, you're the expert. Just bring me the final tally"

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

dpkg chopra posted:

I’ll make a RACI chart so we can get to the bottom of this.

Please don't create NSFW content for use in presentations. It neither impresses nor titillates.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Trapped in a loop of stakeholder comms stupidity

- My team gave a presentation yesterday to another team
- The other team shared the presentation with their managers, who arced up about something and told their director that it was a problem
- That director then goes to my director who hauls me into a meeting at 4.50pm yesterday to explain myself
- I am instructed to immediately send an email to the pissed off managers clarifying details ("just send them a top line summary") and inviting them to a meeting to discuss the issue today
- I do it. None of the pissed off managers reply or turn up
- Their director asks me for an update, I tell him that none of his team showed up or got back to me and reiterate that they can come straight to me if there's an issue
- I am then instructed that they need more detail than "just a top line summary"
- I send them the original presentation that has all the detail
- Silence

I still don't know what they're mad about or what the problem is

Jumpsuit fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 9, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They realize they flew off the handle for nothing but now need to save face. Offer a meaningless change and then everyone can congratulate themselves on everyone's teamwork and agility.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Coworker: Sundae, your company credit card was deactivated. I can't put a charge on it.
Sundae: The bill is overdue and the expense reports haven't been filed.
Coworker: Why not?
Sundae: Because you keep putting charges on it and not telling me or sending receipts, dude. Why do you even have the number?!?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lockback posted:

They realize they flew off the handle for nothing but now need to save face. Offer a meaningless change and then everyone can congratulate themselves on everyone's teamwork and agility.

You should be charging for these nuggets of wisdom, cause drat that's good

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

I've been fuming about work slack drama all day. The sales team at my company has been throwing nonsense requests at my team all week, including half the drat team creating a dm thread with me this morning to demand a refresh of some assets that are basically new, that they've been badly misusing for months, and which is related to a part of our product that our company has deliberately decided not to invest in. Later this evening, right before my notifications turn off, their VP posts in a public thread a completely insane claim that, if true, would basically mean that my team has done nothing right in the 18 months since my boss got hired, which I absolutely know to be false (he's flawed but our team is effective).

In response I wrote up a poo poo post (basically: 'it's a poor carpenter who blames his tools. If you're not getting good results with these demo assets, have you considered being better at sales?') but then deleted it at the last second and instead posted some weak thing about the importance of good storytelling. I feel completely defeated by not making the poo poo post but I know that thing I posted will make the sales vp look brash and make me look like I should do a TED talk.

This is the stupidest survival skill.

Dukberry fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 9, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dukberry posted:

I've been fuming about work slack drama all day.

I bet I can guess the next three words in this po--

Dukberry posted:

The sales team

Dammit, too slow.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Paid my first big boy expenses tonight for a team dinner. There’s always been someone more senior than me in the room before tonight.

I guess the cash back is good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jordan7hm posted:

Paid my first big boy expenses tonight for a team dinner. There’s always been someone more senior than me in the room before tonight.

I guess the cash back is good.

Do you have to have the entire list of who was there and sort out the booze? I had a boss who had to do that. After one time we couldn't get booze on the company tab again :sigh:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

Do you have to have the entire list of who was there and sort out the booze? I had a boss who had to do that. After one time we couldn't get booze on the company tab again :sigh:

Yup. I have a project to bill it to so I’m ok though. That’s the trick.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Your company allows you to use a personal card? My last company had to put a policy in place that the company card had to be used for all expenses or else the expense report would be denied.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

Your company allows you to use a personal card? My last company had to put a policy in place that the company card had to be used for all expenses or else the expense report would be denied.

Yeah we had corporate cards but no policy that we had to use them. I didn’t use mine during covid so they cancelled it.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Lockback posted:

:negative: You're right. I just wish it was acceptable behaviour to call middle management a bunch of cowards

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah we had corporate cards but no policy that we had to use them. I didn’t use mine during covid so they cancelled it.

For d spot??

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

priznat posted:

I have to declare corporate entertainment and used to try and estimate the value to declare it until they introduced a minimum level on the policy to stop idiots like me trying to declare two beers.

Lockback posted:

Let's invite the consultant or someone with experience to tell us how to do this deploy.

haha, I'm just kidding. We have 4 MBAs in this room, we can just come up with our own plan.

I have been on projects where consultants were hired to run the workshops to decide on the project goals :negative:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nah. D needed me to use their card. It gave lounge access. It was a fine trade off.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jumpsuit posted:

:negative: You're right. I just wish it was acceptable behaviour to call middle management a bunch of cowards
“What value do you see yourself adding to this process?” is corporate speak for that.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I just finished my first attendance at our company's annual sales conference, since I'm now in a direct supporting role at the "home office" to our NA reps. The extravagance was insane. This conference coupled with layoffs in IT / Finance / HR a month ago boggles the mind. Maybe we didn't need to bus our 500 reps to the Cowboys stadium for private VIP tours and an open bar one evening, and we could've kept some jobs instead.

I get that sales folks are ultimately how we profit since they're getting doctors to buy our products, but maybe they can cut their budget a bit to help other functions out.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Just another week busting my hump on a proposal for a product it turns out we don’t even have!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I think I've finally gotten my sea legs as a manager. Only took a full year and change. Started the year with a new team after layoffs but it was smooth sailing putting together our roadmap, bringing the team together to get more familiar with each other, and getting them (seemingly) motivated to move on the work that we're focused on in 2023 after a very uncertain and frustrating 2022. It helps that I'm only managing one job profile now vs. 4 different ones throughout 2022 and I used to sit in the same profile that I'm now managing. It's made my life quite a bit easier though I kind of miss the variety of having multiple job profiles on my team.

Also, I'm genuinely excited for my own projects this year, which is a change from the last two years or so. What is this feeling of positivity? At work???

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 9, 2023

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I just finished my first attendance at our company's annual sales conference, since I'm now in a direct supporting role at the "home office" to our NA reps. The extravagance was insane. This conference coupled with layoffs in IT / Finance / HR a month ago boggles the mind. Maybe we didn't need to bus our 500 reps to the Cowboys stadium for private VIP tours and an open bar one evening, and we could've kept some jobs instead.

I get that sales folks are ultimately how we profit since they're getting doctors to buy our products, but maybe they can cut their budget a bit to help other functions out.

They will not, but yeah that stuff is nuts. COVID was an eye opener on how that type of spending creeps up. Expenses were majorly under budget because the extravagant trade shows and cross country vendor visits shut down. Oddly, their absence did not materially impact the deals that came through..

The focus of some VPs post-vaccine has not been to grow the business, but regaining their pre-COVID travel and expense budgets.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Democratic Pirate posted:

The focus of some VPs post-vaccine has not been to grow the business, but regaining their pre-COVID travel and expense budgets.

Our travel budget has been hit really hard, which is unfortunate because it includes conference attendance, which is super important to physicians and scientists. Beyond that, senior management have decided to spend what budget is available on an all-hands offsite meeting, which I'm sure will be excruciating. I really struggle to play the game with this poo poo.

In management news: the biggest study I'm responsible for locks for primary analysis at the end of the month and I'm feeling the pressure. Hope we haven't hosed it up, it has cost nearly $100m and all comes down to one moment of denouement. There is an almost unlimited amount of work for me and the team to do. One of the hospitals has been pretty useless at entering their data... Will we get it? Nobody knows. Tick tick

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

I think I've finally gotten my sea legs as a manager. Only took a full year and change. Started the year with a new team after layoffs but it was smooth sailing putting together our roadmap, bringing the team together to get more familiar with each other, and getting them (seemingly) motivated to move on the work that we're focused on in 2023 after a very uncertain and frustrating 2022. It helps that I'm only managing one job profile now vs. 4 different ones throughout 2022 and I used to sit in the same profile that I'm now managing. It's made my life quite a bit easier though I kind of miss the variety of having multiple job profiles on my team.

Also, I'm genuinely excited for my own projects this year, which is a change from the last two years or so. What is this feeling of positivity? At work???

Yeah, I usually tell people the onboarding for new manager is about 18 months, give or take. And then the next magic mark is about 3 years in when that portfolio of "Oh, here's how I handle these situations" starts becoming something you can rely on and start growing past your current team.

Its a really good feeling!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Lockback posted:

Yeah, I usually tell people the onboarding for new manager is about 18 months, give or take. And then the next magic mark is about 3 years in when that portfolio of "Oh, here's how I handle these situations" starts becoming something you can rely on and start growing past your current team.

Its a really good feeling!.

Every situation not being brand new is definitely a big part of it! Going from competent IC to (what feels like) incompetent manager is not a great feeling. But now I'm back to feeling competent (and my feedback seems to agree) so now I'm enjoying* work again!

*enjoying work as much as one can enjoy work