Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Jackson isn't completely free from being bad people. Its pretty much told by the people Joel and Ellie meet that they find bodies of people that the people of Jackson just outright kill. Sure its far better than the cannibal people but it still does bad stuff to survive.

Joel confronts them over this, and Maria claims it's self-defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah but for all their faults, at least Camp Wendigo aren’t godless commies. Sure, fine, Jackson may have food, running water, free housing, power, livestock, crops, a cinema, and a thriving community living in relative contentment and happiness but it comes with a heavy, unimaginable price no true god fearing American should have to pay.

*insert pic of Tommy’s horrified realisation face here*
"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

Nail Rat posted:

I don't think it would make sense to call a college where CSU is, Eastern Colorado University. It's probably supposed to be somewhere around that river to the east of both Boulder and Denver (which has lakes that would fit the bill for a small resort town), without being specific because, well, I don't think real life people would want to be associated with cannibal town.

It's the only area made up wholecloth in what we've seen up so far at least in the story, in either version of it
The hilarious thing is I guarantee you Waterton will be saying "hey everyone, we were the cannibal religious cult town!"

Also, isn't the eastern half of Colorado, like, flat?

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
If ECU = CSU in terms of real world geography, then I could see Silver Lake being a stand in for Red Feather Lakes. Would be close enough to make it from Fort Collins and has a bit of a "resorty" vibe to it even if I think it was supposed to be closer to a Vail/Breck/other resort town on the Western Slope.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Hollismason posted:

Jackson isn't completely free from being bad people. Its pretty much told by the people Joel and Ellie meet that they find bodies of people that the people of Jackson just outright kill. Sure its far better than the cannibal people but it still does bad stuff to survive.

It's kind of a believe what you want thing, at least from what's presented in the show. Maria says they don't kill or turn people away unless they're a threat, and they intentionally cultivate a reputation of ruthlessness to keep people from knocking at their door. So either she's lying or their strategy works, but the show doesn't make a fuss about presenting any evidence one way or another.

But one mark in their favor is that there was literally no reason for them not to kill Joel and Ellie if they were actually just murdering people for fun and profit.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I don't think this is what's happening, but I would like it if Jackson actually had a relationship with the couple in the cabin and encouraged them via a few supplies now and then to tell people they meet spooky stories about the River of Death.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Nail Rat posted:

I don't think it would make sense to call a college where CSU is, Eastern Colorado University. It's probably supposed to be somewhere around that river to the east of both Boulder and Denver (which has lakes that would fit the bill for a small resort town), without being specific because, well, I don't think real life people would want to be associated with cannibal town.

It's the only area made up wholecloth in what we've seen up so far at least in the story, in either version of it

Anything east of Denver and Boulder (did you mean the Platte river?) is going to be plains, no resort towns.

There's no way anyone would call University of Colorado Boulder "Eastern Colorado" though it would be near some mountain lakes and reservoirs that could be Silver Lake.

University of Northern Colorado in Greeley could be called "Eastern Colorado". But there's no water around there that could be Silver Lake. Or trees, or deer.

There's a Silver Lake up by its lonesome in the mountains north west of Boulder, but no town around it. Idaho Springs has a Silver Lake in it, which would have plenty of trees, houses, and wild life. But it and Greeley are almost 2 hours apart driving at highway speeds (1 day walking, 9 hours biking, according to Google Maps). Boulder's only an hour drive to Idaho Springs, about 4 hours bike ride.

The fact that University of Eastern Colorado was made up, probably leads to all of Colorado's geography being made up. Though, once you're out of the cities, Colorado's geography is "plains in the east, mountains in the west".

Edit: VVV are you not aware of the World Famous Bostonian Fjords?

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 8, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I cannot believe that this show would play loosely with geography like that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I cannot believe that this show would play loosely with geography like that.

The beautiful Boston Rockies.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

nine-gear crow posted:

The beautiful Boston Rockies.

"Baw-keys" in the local dialect.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I guess as a non-american the biggest bit that felt weird to me was Bill and Frank being so close to Boston but being absolutely fine when it came to Infected and Raiders (apart from that once)
It's not a big deal, but man it does suggest that as long as you keep a reasonable distance outside of a main city you can live with no issue. Which might not be the message they wanted to send?

Maybe we're supposed to imagine he got a LOT of people on his traps and we never got shown any of that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Taear posted:

I guess as a non-american the biggest bit that felt weird to me was Bill and Frank being so close to Boston but being absolutely fine when it came to Infected and Raiders (apart from that once)
It's not a big deal, but man it does suggest that as long as you keep a reasonable distance outside of a main city you can live with no issue. Which might not be the message they wanted to send?

Maybe we're supposed to imagine he got a LOT of people on his traps and we never got shown any of that

I thought it was pretty clear that the implication was that Frank wasn't the first person who fell into one of Bill's kill pits, he was simply the only person who ever made it back out again.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Taear posted:

If he was south of Boston and east of Providence (he visits New Bedford for supplies early on so this checks out), no one is going to be just traveling through where he lives, except to get to Cape Cod. The folks heading to the Boston QZ like Frank would have to detour from a direct route pretty significantly go run across him from pretty much anywhere else in the country.

I wouldn't say he was living "without issue" though. He put a lot of prep work into those defenses. The couple we met in Wyoming probably couldn't have survived in that location. Even if his fences were only good enough to take on groups of like a dozen raiders tops, that's a lot more than most people could deal with on their own.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's also not like MA is big. I don't know where Bill's house was supposed to be, but you can put yourself out into the sticks if you drive an hour from Boston. I wouldn't really expected post-apocalyptic MA to be crawling with raiders or whatever, especially out in the middle of nowhere.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Didn’t the town sign say Lincoln? That’s northwest of Boston (near Bedford, not New Bedford I guess). That would make more sense since Joel and Ellie were headed west.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

SuperTeeJay posted:

We can have a sky burial if the ground is too hard, except replace 'sky' with 'canteen' and 'burial' with 'dinner'.

Forget the burial, let's go with a low-temperature cremation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ilmucche posted:

I figured david didn't actually care about religion at all. given he came to christ after the apocalypse it seemed more like he realised it would be a good way to manipulate people and take the power he wanted. he could build his own republic of dave?

He basically says as much to Ellie, something like "but people like you and I don't need that [religion], do we?" when he's trying to talk her into joining him. It's just a means to an end to him, a way of maintaining authority and control over his 'flock'. Notably in contrast, Jackson allow religious worship at a multi-faith church pointed out by Maria, but there's no indication that anyone is required to go or even hold any religious beliefs at all.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ilmucche posted:

I figured david didn't actually care about religion at all. given he came to christ after the apocalypse it seemed more like he realised it would be a good way to manipulate people and take the power he wanted. he could build his own republic of dave?

This episode was the much awaited sequel to Book of Eli

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

At the end of the most recent episode Joel calling Ellie baby girl with his busted watch framed super prominently in the shot got me all choked up, Bella Ramsey did such a good job selling how traumatizing that whole thing would have been. She was a total badass throughout the episode but was just a scared kid who went through some super hosed up stuff at the end of it and I'm amazed they pulled off that tonal whiplash as well as they did.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Solenna posted:

At the end of the most recent episode Joel calling Ellie baby girl with his busted watch framed super prominently in the shot got me all choked up, Bella Ramsey did such a good job selling how traumatizing that whole thing would have been. She was a total badass throughout the episode but was just a scared kid who went through some super hosed up stuff at the end of it and I'm amazed they pulled off that tonal whiplash as well as they did.

How is any of that a spoiler.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
It’s a non-spoiler cause this is the non-spider thread

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Albino Squirrel posted:

The hilarious thing is I guarantee you Waterton will be saying "hey everyone, we were the cannibal religious cult town!"

Time to build a theme park!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
In my world the cannibal town takes place on poo poo Mountain from Poker Face.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tristesse posted:

In my world the cannibal town takes place on poo poo Mountain from Poker Face.

On that note, whose loving idea was it to have the two best shows on TV get their season one finales two days apart? I just want to be cryogenically frozen until I can watch them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

banned from Starbucks posted:

This episode was the much awaited sequel to Book of Eli

no one is awaiting lol

that movie was not good

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

illcendiary posted:

Hot drat this article is dogshit lmao

was looking for the Ben Kuchera, was very confused

Red Rox posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but personally I would have finished the canned tomatoes before starting to eat people.

and i should eat the leftovers in my fridge before getting a shish koubideh plate but the heart wants what it wants

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 8, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/skweezy/status/1633227879910875136

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

It was a fine episode, it's a fine show, but it all feels so obvious all the time. That's not necessarily bad? But it does make it less meaningful for me and me and my partner find ourselves paying less and less attention during the episodes because it's so clear where it's going to be headed.

Yeah same. I no longer expect this to be challenging/elevated material or anything. That's fine, it's still got solid leads and good enough world building that I'll keep tuning in.

Last ep would've been more interesting in a Donner party sense, if days/weeks without food went by with Ellie starving and Joel wasting away, and this preacher shows up offering a devil's bargain: You break the taboo of cannibalism, you live another day. Maybe the preacher convinced his flock with a Transubstantiation argument, they draw lots for volunteers, that kind of thing. Breaking a primal taboo becomes an act of love and everyone is cool with it, except Ellie, and she has to figure out why.

But nah the preacher is a pedophile rapist cult leader. Tune in next week to watch Ellie get traumatized by another twisted freak! The experience will scar her, but can she come back from it??

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

no one is awaiting lol

that movie was not good

No way that movie was a Gary Oldman classic.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The takes in this thread are just so funny :allears:

Subversion isn't the only mechanic through which content is good, neither is making everything extreme. But from reading these posts you would expect the opposite lol.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah same. I no longer expect this to be challenging/elevated material or anything. That's fine, it's still got solid leads and good enough world building that I'll keep tuning in.

Last ep would've been more interesting in a Donner party sense, if days/weeks without food went by with Ellie starving and Joel wasting away, and this preacher shows up offering a devil's bargain: You break the taboo of cannibalism, you live another day. Maybe the preacher convinced his flock with a Transubstantiation argument, they draw lots for volunteers, that kind of thing. Breaking a primal taboo becomes an act of love and everyone is cool with it, except Ellie, and she has to figure out why.

But nah the preacher is a pedophile rapist cult leader. Tune in next week to watch Ellie get traumatized by another twisted freak! The experience will scar her, but can she come back from it??

Bonus points if they cast Robert Carlyle in the role.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Laterite posted:

Yeah but casting Robert Carlyle improves everything.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kwolok posted:

The takes in this thread are just so funny :allears:

Subversion isn't the only mechanic through which content is good, neither is making everything extreme. But from reading these posts you would expect the opposite lol.

If you're just going to play a trope straight up at least do SOMETHING with it. This did just rack it up to extreme and it was boring.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Laterite posted:

“It’s lonely being a cannibal.” - an actual pedophile from that movie

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I would say manipulative man of God who is a pedophile is hardly extreme even in our very own real world.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Marx Headroom posted:

In the show I'm watching, Joel and Ellie aren't here to judge anyone's cannibalistic practices. It has in fact gone out of its way to show that A) Joel did messed up things to help himself and brother survive back in the day and B) Joel will still do messed up things to help himself and those he loves survive. It was not a bad phase. They are all reading from the same Book of Cordyceps.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Laterite posted:

Goddamn I love that movie so loving much.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Is everybody going to ignore that that poster wants "cannibalism as an act of love" to be a plot point.

ricketyvickyt
Sep 9, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn I love that movie so loving much.

What film is it?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Ravenous (1999), one of the best cannibal movies of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Popping in to say I loved the Kicking Bird cameo in episode 6. The male half of the old couple everybody in the thread loved.