Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i love that ignition switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

i love that ignition switch.

yeah that was the high point of the video

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Large Testicles posted:

I want to know how the gently caress they got the cover back on there in the first place without zapping the poo poo out of themselves

If you're already terrified of it, then the battery sparking at you is what you expect it to do.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thats just the cathodic protection

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Seems like a fairly fundamental design flaw.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1633443958222192642?t=uOKr0puhiEuLjUo3f0Q_LQ&s=19

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's not very common, i'd like to make that clear.

most cars are designed so the steering wheel doesn't fall off.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrTLK1sfdQ

How to build a bus in Pakistan

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Some of the engine rebuild/manufacturing videos coming out of Pakistan and India are mind blowing given they do it with basically hand tools and simple machining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mulq6jYzbBs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do wonder how long those parts tend to last after installation, given the total lack of process control. I've watched dozens of those videos and I think I've seen one micrometer, ever. And god knows what the metallurgy is like when they start with a wheelbarrow full of scrap and melt it down in a sand pit on the side of the road.

I guess if the crankshafts are all going into 1950s era engines with like 5:1 compression ratios and 2000 RPM redlines, they can get away with a lot of looseness that wouldn't otherwise fly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm only a few minutes in and I'm totally feeling for the guy sanding the filler :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I do wonder how long those parts tend to last after installation, given the total lack of process control. I've watched dozens of those videos and I think I've seen one micrometer, ever. And god knows what the metallurgy is like when they start with a wheelbarrow full of scrap and melt it down in a sand pit on the side of the road.

I guess if the crankshafts are all going into 1950s era engines with like 5:1 compression ratios and 2000 RPM redlines, they can get away with a lot of looseness that wouldn't otherwise fly.

When labor is cheap it doesn't matter. Because you just re-manufacture/re-labor it.

Still amazing to watch. There's a terrifying one I've seen of people remanufacturing lead acid batteries with the sum total of safety gear consisting of a pair of sandals.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

When there are so many of these roadside parts manufacturers making stuff for cheap I feel like stuff lives forever simply because they ship of Theseus them all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Most of the ones I've seen are diesel, so assume minimum 19:1 compression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGfwPwaMhpc

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

The number of kids working in those shops is depressing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

It is, but considering they are likely learning a skilled trade that probably is in demand, its probably better than most of the other jobs they could be working.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sagebrush posted:

it's not very common, i'd like to make that clear.

Expected that, was not disappointed.
Thank you.

Only the finest used garbage for new buses!

slidebite posted:

I'm only a few minutes in and I'm totally feeling for the guy sanding the filler :(

And yet, they build the body framework out of pre-rusted steel. Brilliant! Also, brush painted...
edit: oh dear god, you meant the body. I hadn't got there yet. I saw the sanding on the frame (which I thought was goofy...)
Also like how all the engine mounts are bespoke one-offs.

My knees hurt just watching them squat and build everything on the ground.

edit: need a little bit of lube and a bit less pressure on your frame drill there, hoss.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 9, 2023

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

So about the same way we build them everywhere else, just outside, with hand tools, not with CNC cutting/welding and jigs and such. But hell, the construction and process aint really that much different! A lot more sledgehammering tho.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's not even the worst by a long shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL031aSTSuI

That's not carbon fiber those brakes are being re-bonded with - thats asbestos ....... and the kid is using a grinding wheel to trim it down

Asbestos dust flying about. JFC They are all gonna die if they live that long of a really horrific lung disease.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Motronic posted:

There's a terrifying one I've seen of people remanufacturing lead acid batteries with the sum total of safety gear consisting of a pair of sandals.

I think that's only considered safety gear in Australia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's not even the worst by a long shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL031aSTSuI

That's not carbon fiber those brakes are being re-bonded with - thats asbestos ....... and the kid is using a grinding wheel to trim it down

Asbestos dust flying about. JFC They are all gonna die if they live that long of a really horrific lung disease.

no??? ? ???? ??

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Asbestos, free!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

no??? ? ???? ??

If anyone believes that box, I got this amazing stablecoin project for you to invest in

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Inhaling brake dust is a bad idea, asbestos or not. Or rather, any kind of dust will gently caress up your lungs given enough exposure.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

It is, but considering they are likely learning a skilled trade that probably is in demand, its probably better than most of the other jobs they could be working.

I was always a big fan of providing things like at least a basic education to kids so that they can potentially do more than toil in an asbestos factory until they die in their 40s, but people say I’m a dreamer…

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Inhaling brake dust is a bad idea, asbestos or not. Or rather, any kind of dust will gently caress up your lungs given enough exposure.

yeah brake dust and tire particulates are a serious health issue, especially in lower income neighborhoods where major arterial roads just happen to run through.

But hey, I'm sure building more EVs will solve this somehow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Asbestos, free!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

yeah brake dust and tire particulates are a serious health issue, especially in lower income neighborhoods where major arterial roads just happen to run through.

But hey, I'm sure building more EVs will solve this somehow.

Regen braking will save some brake wear :downs:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If anyone believes that box, I got this amazing stablecoin project for you to invest in

I love algo coins!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I mean, even carbon fiber will gently caress you up trimming with a grinder and no PPE. When I took a composites class in college, we did any of our trimming with respirators and under a hood with dust collection on the tools. Our professor had zero tolerance for loving around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

I was always a big fan of providing things like at least a basic education to kids so that they can potentially do more than toil in an asbestos factory until they die in their 40s, but people say I’m a dreamer…

I didn't mean the asbestos brake factory. I meant the one with the kids working in machine shops.

Obviously child labor is bad and it should be banned globally.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

no??? ? ???? ??

Safe! Braking Great! Pedal Feel? Asbestos. Free!

Safe Braking? Great! Pedal! Feel Asbestos, Free!

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 9, 2023

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

no??? ? ???? ??

Relevant clip from one of films foundational to my understanding of the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NoWake posted:

Relevant clip from one of films foundational to my understanding of the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4

:unsmith:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Sorry for the YouTube short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPnBMmDLULU

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

can’t even tell what it’s supposed to sound like - certainly a terrible video of car stuff

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

First rule of recording exhausts is to not put your mic on axis with the thing moving air :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well admittedly it is somewhat cooler that it's an air-driven resonating tube like a musical instrument, instead of just a speaker playing a recording of an engine. the sound is still meaningless, equivalent to just playing a vuvuzela whenever the car is driving around, but at least it isn't totally fake, if you know what i mean?

i still think that if you want an electric car to have an "exhaust note," it should be generated with something like a mechanic's stethoscope that sits right on the motor, connected to an amplifying horn like on a gramophone. really magnify that low-speed harmonic hum and high-speed tie-fighter scream. that could sound very cool and the stethoscope/horn system would mean the sound is honest. this dodge thing is maybe a step in that direction?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think it's possible to get any better sound than this electric car though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEzXrDL4F3k