Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Greatbacon posted:

I have such a mastery of my native language that I get to gently caress with it on purpose constantly.

Yeah and English is a fun one to gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

thetoughestbean posted:

No, I know that. I just find it weird to use it to mean English-speakers.

I've been using anglo as opposed to franco since forever, as a both, it ain't that weird, and lmao at goons bein goons over this one

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've been using anglo as opposed to franco since forever, as a both, it ain't that weird, and lmao at goons bein goons over this one

Nowadays I don't think most anglos would be opposed to Franco, they'd view him as a strong leader who got things done

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't speak German well and whenever I find myself in Germany and can't get away with speaking English I use a very fast muffled 'de' as every article. It has served me so far

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Whooping Crabs posted:

If you das all the time they might tell you to die

sehr gut :golfclap:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

was ist das? das ist ein numsegas!

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
And then we have the rare cases where the gender actually changes the meaning.

Der Schild (m) is the shield as a knight would have.
Das Schild (n) is a sign, as in "roadsign".

I doubt that german is unique in this way. It's just usually hard to get to those examples, since you don't really notice such things in your mother tongue.
e.g. don't ask the french for french examples, ask a foreigner who learned french as an adult.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Philosophy students who took continental theory probably know the le politique/la politique -distinction. I still don't know what that was really all about.

Japanese is an interesting example in that the language actually is heavily gendered in the sense that some words and grammar points are also used for signaling the gender of the speaker, alongside age, social status etc. in a way that often gets lost in translation. I've been led to understand that this of course opens the doors to all kinds of creative language use by the LGBTQ community!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do understand that there's basically entire genres of Japanese comedy built around the layers of politeness and deference to social status built into the language which are very difficult to translate, and involve things like speaking to a drunk hobo the way you'd speak to the Emperor or vice versa, and asking incredibly rude things in incredibly polite ways.

Also comes to mind how you absolutely cannot trust Australians to learn this, because anything other than the most informal and vulgar forms of address would interpreted as insufferably pretentious to the point of immediately inviting a fistfight.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do understand that there's basically entire genres of Japanese comedy built around the layers of politeness and deference to social status built into the language which are very difficult to translate, and involve things like speaking to a drunk hobo the way you'd speak to the Emperor or vice versa, and asking incredibly rude things in incredibly polite ways.

This is an universal gag, though.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
Well now that we're talking about politeness, let's look at 2nd person pronouns and how you/you came to supplant thou/thee. Thou/thee was the familiar and you the formal, but I guess out of politeness and not to offend anyone we just started using you altogether. Also, even though Shakespeare often used thou/thee, it was already was considered archaic by his time; he used it poetry's sake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This is an universal gag, though.

Indeed, but I think more that Japanese has very specific language for it which doesn't really have English equivalents, even if a lot of it is considered outdated (if legible) on the level of thou and thee. Like how you got particular honorifics for others and yourself which are well past use in casual modern language besides very specific circumstances. (mostly thinking 'aniki', thanks Yakuza and anime)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Indeed, but I think more that Japanese has very specific language for it which doesn't really have English equivalents, even if a lot of it is considered outdated (if legible) on the level of thou and thee. Like how you got particular honorifics for others and yourself which are well past use in casual modern language besides very specific circumstances. (mostly thinking 'aniki', thanks Yakuza and anime)

Yeah, sites like Legends of Localization are full of translation notes that say "this sentence was translated perfectly accurately but in Japanese it was really rude" (or conversely, "this sentence is full of insults that were made up whole cloth by the translator, because the Japanese script was written in that tone but it wouldn't come across in a direct translation.")

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Indeed, but I think more that Japanese has very specific language for it which doesn't really have English equivalents

If they were equivalent, they'd be the same language.

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, sites like Legends of Localization are full of translation notes that say "this sentence was translated perfectly accurately but in Japanese it was really rude" (or conversely, "this sentence is full of insults that were made up whole cloth by the translator, because the Japanese script was written in that tone but it wouldn't come across in a direct translation.")

This is called "being a poo poo translator".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

… in both cases? So how do you translate a language then?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nessus posted:

how do you translate a language

Certainly a question answerable in a forums post. (Don't I feel angry for paying 0€ to go to University!) Anyway if I told you, everyone would know and then translators would be out of a gig.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Sounds like that translation didn't go according to keikaku

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

actually they're a good translator op

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Certainly a question answerable in a forums post. (Don't I feel angry for paying 0€ to go to University!) Anyway if I told you, everyone would know and then translators would be out of a gig.
Seems fair

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

caspergers posted:

Well now that we're talking about politeness, let's look at 2nd person pronouns and how you/you came to supplant thou/thee. Thou/thee was the familiar and you the formal, but I guess out of politeness and not to offend anyone we just started using you altogether. Also, even though Shakespeare often used thou/thee, it was already was considered archaic by his time; he used it poetry's sake.

If you go back a few months in this thread you can see a post I made about how people in Sweden came to regard both the informal and the formal 2nd person as too rude since everyone deserved to be addressed by their title at all times, leading to what linguists call The Swedish Title Mania from ca 1800-1940.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Offler posted:

If you go back a few months in this thread you can see a post I made about how people in Sweden came to regard both the informal and the formal 2nd person as too rude since everyone deserved to be addressed by their title at all times, leading to what linguists call The Swedish Title Mania from ca 1800-1940.

I remember this series of posts and it was both very informative and extraordinarily silly. The whole process by which a person acquired a title by connection was so insanely silly that it was genuinely hard to justify

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Gaius Marius posted:

You cannot both be said to be fluent and speak incorrectly constantly.

Yes you can if you do it on purpose.

Same with a lot of things, if you first understand how something is supposed to be done you can then refuse, and do something else because you feel like it, or are making a point, etc.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Mar 10, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

doverhog posted:

Yes you can if you do it on purpose.

Same with a lot of things, if you first understand how something is supposed to be done you can then refuse, and do something else because you feel like it, or are making a point, etc.

you can do anything on purpose, but it wont affect your fluency. itd be like a swede saying potato-noises to another swede, and none of them understan danish because theyre not fluent

fluency just means you understand "anything" a native speaker would and "whatever" you say would be understood by a native speaker

it doesnt mean "no accent", but i guess with time it will come to mean whatever that means. no human has ever spoken without an accent in the history of the world and none will either until the end of time.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I think you are just making up what fluent means.

"Able to speak a language accurately, rapidly, and confidently – in a flowing way."

Most native speakers of a language can't really do that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

doverhog posted:

"Able to speak a language accurately, rapidly, and confidently – in a flowing way."

There is an existential attack against all 4 of those qualities in that you'll never pin a linguist down to give quantitative measures of what accuracy or speed is required or what qualitative characters determine confidence and flow.

At the end of the day you need some external evaluation whether from native speakers or perhaps a conlang's governing body that is just going by feel. You can be fluent in German but then speak it without following gendered articles and no one speaking German is going to agree you're speaking fluent German any more. At best you're at the forefront of a conlang that is German but without following gendered articles.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zedprime posted:

There is an existential attack against all 4 of those qualities in that you'll never pin a linguist down to give quantitative measures of what accuracy or speed is required or what qualitative characters determine confidence and flow.

At the end of the day you need some external evaluation whether from native speakers or perhaps a conlang's governing body that is just going by feel. You can be fluent in German but then speak it without following gendered articles and no one speaking German is going to agree you're speaking fluent German any more. At best you're at the forefront of a conlang that is German but without following gendered articles.
I'll do you one better, languages don't exist.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

doverhog posted:

thats what im saying, nobody speaks perfect textbook any language, not natives not anybody.

to be fluent in a language you just have to understand n% and n% of people understand you. thats all it means

(i put n at 85 but if youre intense you can put it at 90 or 95. no two people in the world exists where it is 100)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

zedprime posted:

You can be fluent in German but then speak it without following gendered articles and no one speaking German is going to agree you're speaking fluent German any more. At best you're at the forefront of a conlang that is German but without following gendered articles.

Yes that's what I meant, using perhaps the wrong meaning for fluent; "understanding" the language, rather than speaking it in the usual way.

To be fluent, you should be able to use all the correct gendered articles, but then you might choose not to do so. :coolfish:

Of course spoken and written language are very different, almost different languages, so it is further complicated there.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Mar 11, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

doverhog posted:

To be fluent, you should be able to use all the correct gendered articles

:wrong:

there are no "correct" articles, there is only consensus (cf above with the ketchup)

to me it seems like youre using "fluent" to mean "indistinguishable from a native speaker" which you can easily do only knowing 3 words

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

:wrong:

there are no "correct" articles, there is only consensus (cf above with the ketchup)

to me it seems like youre using "fluent" to mean "sounding like a native speaker" which you can easily do only knowing 3 words

I think his point is that to speak it wrong deliberately and consistently, you have to be pretty good at the language to begin with. You have to know what is right in order to parody it with incorrect usage.

That's different from being ignorant of the language and making mistakes by accident.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Well I know I enjoy pronouncing Worcestershire enunciating each syllable and I don't care if it should be wooster. Also victuals, no way am I calling that vittles. English you made your bed now lay in it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

så är det att vära en skitstövel

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Kokeile joskus kaveri, voit yllättyä.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

doverhog posted:

Kokeile joskus kaveri, voit yllättyä.

men fan ni* fatter ju allt, värför inte säga det för

* alla

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Offler posted:

It's absolutely crazy how recent this was, just for a post-industrial society with standardized education. Not that it's a negative thing. I'd like to hear more recent language changes.
Also, I feel the need to apologize. After you mentioned Sweden I realized I hadn't even mentioned English. It's alright, you might say I'm american and can't help the way I am.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Carthag Tuek posted:

så är det att vära en skitstövel

Tyø yur åtl hø sooten gåtrunen?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zopotantor posted:

Tyø yur åtl hø sooten gåtrunen?

Jøv.. da ½ uspe vel

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Recent posts reminded me of the time an English Professor put the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle to demonstrate to native English speakers a way of understanding how inflection matters.

I'm probably loving up the lesson, but the way it was said has stuck in my head ever since.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Professor Ted Wassanasong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bulletsponge13 posted:

Recent posts reminded me of the time an English Professor put the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle to demonstrate to native English speakers a way of understanding how inflection matters.

I'm probably loving up the lesson, but the way it was said has stuck in my head ever since.

theres a latin expression we use in denmark for that: lecti lescul itorum, femi verum