Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wonder if Valkrum dunes ever got as bad as peak Barrens chat in WoW.

It was so bad that one of the ffxiv minions references how soul-crushing it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
does old ff11 have the thing where you have a gearset for every ability and macros to completely change out

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

does old ff11 have the thing where you have a gearset for every ability and macros to completely change out

yeah lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It was so bad that one of the ffxiv minions references how soul-crushing it was

Which one?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

shout chat in valkurm wasn't particularly noteworthy - the crab minion (I assume they're referring to?) is more a reference to how a good number of leveling camps were based on killing crabs because their TP moves were relatively nonthreatening.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Vitamean posted:

shout chat in valkurm wasn't particularly noteworthy - the crab minion (I assume they're referring to?) is more a reference to how a good number of leveling camps were based on killing crabs because their TP moves were relatively nonthreatening.

Yeah fond memories of sitting at an oasis in Valkurm spending 8 minutes to kill one crab for 150 exp and then the puller will inevitably return with a train of Damselflies or a bomb tossing Goblin. Good times.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Just the massive number of dead bodies left when some troll pulls an entire pack of gobbies to the zone line and the gobs aggro everyone on their way back to their normal areas. Mobs didn't despawn back when I first played, so this happened with distressing frequency either on purpose or accident.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vitamean posted:

but if you can get past that you can experience almost the entire game's storyline with trusts, and the only bits you can't is stuff released in the last few years and honestly? who gives a poo poo. rhapsodies is a good enough ending

Yeah this is my vibe but every so often it's kinda fun to spin up a new character or level a job from 1 in a nostalgia tour. It tkaes like a few hours to get to 30 if you know what you're doing.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

WarMECH posted:

Level your subjob!!! :argh:

I said I would!!! I’ve done a lot of wandering around, I’ve only had it for like 2 levels. I thought it would level alongside my main job at a reduced rate. A bad assumption obviously, lmao

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TheHoosier posted:

I said I would!!! I’ve done a lot of wandering around, I’ve only had it for like 2 levels. I thought it would level alongside my main job at a reduced rate. A bad assumption obviously, lmao

You'll learn that sensible ideas like that do not belong in old MMOs.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I remember the very first time I tried an FFXI free trial I did got a quest from.. some NPC and it took me forever to do, and I figured it'd give me a good reward.

It gave me 1000 Gil or something, no XP, no items, just some Gil. lmao

But I'm glad I went back, game's good

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

YggiDee posted:

There's a FFXI LP currently in the works, that might be worth a look

There's always hope that they merge 14 and 11 into the same sub and everyone can dip their toes in them. Once you fix the UI you can just play it as a single player game aside from endgame stuff. For those never gonna have time for an MMO people I'm going to try my best to do everything tied to the story.

Also,

Kheldarn posted:

If you're interested in 14, but don't want to play it/like to play MMOs, Sanguinia is LPing it. From the looks of things, each expansion will get their own thread. Here's the finished thread for A Realm Reborn and Heavensward, and here's the current thread for Stormblood.

This is a good read. Do it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

if there's a version that doesn't have that i'd play it but i hate that old mmo tic of a bunch of weird niche gear pieces that you'll never get but everyone demands you have for efficiency

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vitamean posted:

yeah that's what i meant

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alxprit posted:

I've been able to tolerate modern MapleStory for quite a while now so I wonder if FFXI would really be all that bad to me. But the socially-driven stuff is what really pains me, cause I have lots of anxiety about being the weak link in a group no matter what game. This is why I'm glad Trusts exist in it and in XIV as well, it's like... so nice to be able to learn at my own pace before throwing myself into the blender of other people, even if it's not all that hard to begin with.

What I remember about (vanilla) FFXI groups is that it mainly just came down to avoiding aggroing extra stuff. A good group was one where 1. all group members were able to keep playing for the full 2-3+ hours necessary to make progress on leveling up and 2. you avoided aggroing something else, which would usually quickly lead to the group dying (and you lost XP when you died in vanilla FFXI). But if you kept it to single pulls it was very simple.

#1 was the most important and the usual cause of groups failing, because the only way to reasonably level (outside of Beastmaster, which I remember being the only job capable of soloing beyond level ~10 or so) was to grind mobs for long periods of time, which required a full group. And there was no automated way to form groups - you had to just ask in the chat (and this is why I had it easier, since healers were the most in demand IIRC).

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Some zones had gigantic level ranges, so before they implemented mobs despawning after losing threat if they were outside their patrol area, you could completely shut down leveling for everyone on the server by training a high level mob to a low level zoneline

Crawler's Nest and Yhoator Jungle were lousy with this. Also unique mobs (called notorious monsters in XI) were exempt from the despawn rule, so you could do poo poo like force spawn an aggressive level 70 quest boss and train it to the literal level 1 baby San d'Oria/Ronfaure zoneline or train some other lv70 quest boss to the Selbina/Valkurm zoneline

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I played XI for a couple of weeks and all I really remember is getting my poo poo absolute crushed by sheep and crabs.

I played a monk I think and I was so low level I couldn't wear any armor other than underwear or something.

In retrospect I was playing it wrong, but I was in my early twenties and had other priorities than an MMO.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

debating whether ff11 or ff14 are real final fantasies is an old hat. personally i'm looking forward to the arguments whether ff16 is allowed to be a real final fantasy for being an action game with relatively few rpg elements

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

What I remember about (vanilla) FFXI groups is that it mainly just came down to avoiding aggroing extra stuff. A good group was one where 1. all group members were able to keep playing for the full 2-3+ hours necessary to make progress on leveling up and 2. you avoided aggroing something else, which would usually quickly lead to the group dying (and you lost XP when you died in vanilla FFXI). But if you kept it to single pulls it was very simple.

#1 was the most important and the usual cause of groups failing, because the only way to reasonably level (outside of Beastmaster, which I remember being the only job capable of soloing beyond level ~10 or so) was to grind mobs for long periods of time, which required a full group. And there was no automated way to form groups - you had to just ask in the chat (and this is why I had it easier, since healers were the most in demand IIRC).

It was kind of semiautomated, you could flag yourself as looking, set a short comment, and on the leader end the interface was pretty robust for narrowing things down to say "tank, in level range, within a 5-minute walk, flagged or no maybe I'll get someone who hasn't set up yet or who just got called a shitter by their DPS" or "healer, in level range, flagged, hanging out at the hub and likely to want to go for a while". Then area chat was for casting a wider net while sniping or especially in central hubs to grab people who might also be willing to, say, go DPS on their subjob if there were no biters for tanks on their main.

Short comment is important to remember, though. It's a lot harder to be suitably concise in English or tab-translate, so the entire feature got heavily underused by the English-speaking side.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
what happened with lightning returns? i started the game and everything has so much HP it's a slog to get through, and i get ground down and die to the normal random enemies in the starting town.

i guess also i wasted a shitload of time not doing much besides wandering around after tailing the cult? anyway i don't think i get the systems in this game at all. probably gonna restart on easy and see if that helps the "everything has assloads of HP" feel

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

parasyte posted:

what happened with lightning returns? i started the game and everything has so much HP it's a slog to get through, and i get ground down and die to the normal random enemies in the starting town.

i guess also i wasted a shitload of time not doing much besides wandering around after tailing the cult? anyway i don't think i get the systems in this game at all. probably gonna restart on easy and see if that helps the "everything has assloads of HP" feel

Doing quests gets you stats and gear that gets you stats. If you've spent multiple in game days not doing sidequests then yeah the enemies further in are gonna kick your rear end. But also, some enemies just have a large amount of HP because you have to stagger them to burst them down and that's done by hitting weaknesses keeping the pressure on them or perfect guarding and attack of their or hitting them mid a bigger attack by dodging the blow and getting in on them. The wind dragons in the graveyard, for example, instantly stagger if you hit them during their attack that summons the multiple spiraling tornados

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 9, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I played XI for a couple of weeks and all I really remember is getting my poo poo absolute crushed by sheep and crabs.

I played a monk I think and I was so low level I couldn't wear any armor other than underwear or something.

In retrospect I was playing it wrong, but I was in my early twenties and had other priorities than an MMO.

There was very, very minor differences at low level between wearing nothing and wearing starter gear and if you were a mage there was even less of a reason to give a poo poo about armor, unless it had some magic-enhancing effects (most didn't).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

parasyte posted:

Just like the other 13 games, you usually need to stagger enemies to do decent damage. The difference is that each enemy has a different way of staggering. Like the imp enemies will stagger if you hit them while casting, and the dog enemies will stagger if you block their attacks. Which enemies specifically are you having trouble with?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

parasyte posted:

The difficulty of enemy encounters can get all over the place early on. Been awhile since I last played it but I remember that going around to find all the sidequests you can grab is vital because of all the stat boosts they give, especially since there's a fair amount of easy ones early on you just gotta find 'em.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFXI also has that DND issue where the lowest levels (10-20) are the hardest because you don’t have much to do other than trade hits and hope they don’t crit.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Doing quests gets you stats and gear that gets you stats. If you've spent multiple in game days not doing sidequests then yeah the enemies further in are gonna kick your rear end. But also, some enemies just have a large amount of HP because you have to stagger them to burst them down and that's done by hitting weaknesses keeping the pressure on them or perfect guarding and attack of their or hitting them mid a bigger attack by dodging the blow and getting in on them. The wind dragons in the graveyard, for example, instantly stagger if you hit them during their attack that summons the multiple spiraling tornados

I just got back to the main city after the first 6AM happened and I had a quick conversation with Lumina on my way back from the Ark, so it's I guess 8-ish hours into the time allotted.

Fister Roboto posted:

Just like the other 13 games, you usually need to stagger enemies to do decent damage. The difference is that each enemy has a different way of staggering. Like the imp enemies will stagger if you hit them while casting, and the dog enemies will stagger if you block their attacks. Which enemies specifically are you having trouble with?

I'm exploring the first town and when one of these boys spawns it saps all my potions, and if I have none potions I slowly but inevitably die: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Gorgonopsid_(Lightning_Returns)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

parasyte posted:

I just got back to the main city after the first 6AM happened and I had a quick conversation with Lumina on my way back from the Ark, so it's I guess 8-ish hours into the time allotted.

I'm exploring the first town and when one of these boys spawns it saps all my potions, and if I have none potions I slowly but inevitably die: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Gorgonopsid_(Lightning_Returns)

This isn't meant as a joke but are you guarding? Blocking is very important in that game and you get bonus mitigation if not outright fully blocking all damage by timing to guards with the hits. These guys are vulnerable to stagger after they bite so If you block then counter you can burst them down quickly even early on.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 9, 2023

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

idk I'm trying I guess? kind of poo poo at stuff that wants me to perfect parry everything and i lean on those attack/thunder/blizzard buttons most of the time

lol i looked at a guide and i guess i should've somehow done the main quests in the wildlands the first night? i assumed it was a tutorial night

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

parasyte posted:

idk I'm trying I guess? kind of poo poo at stuff that wants me to perfect parry everything and i lean on those attack/thunder/blizzard buttons most of the time

lol i looked at a guide and i guess i should've somehow done the main quests in the wildlands the first night? i assumed it was a tutorial night

You can't do all the main quests in a single night without knowing what you're doing but the tutorial is over once you follow the cult to the door and find the first but of the password
From there you can just do whatever. I went to the party city that night my first playthrough. But the issue is more you gotta just be doing sidequests as you go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just do what ever grabs your interest. Precious little in the game is missable and you'll have tons of time. It is a very freeform game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Just do what ever grabs your interest. Precious little in the game is missable and you'll have tons of time. It is a very freeform game

Also abuse the time stop. If you're fighting enemies regularly you will get the meter back much faster than you can spend it.

And in combat make sure you're always spending meter. Spamming out damage and outfit swapping is key to being able to maximize damage once you stagger guys. Or in letting you stagger then in general.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 9, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

parasyte posted:

Restart on easy. As far as I'm concerned the difficulty should be considered Normal and Hard. Hard is unreasonably stingy with EP.

Additionally, internalize the fact that there is no XP or Levels. You only get stronger by doing quests. The only reason for fighting is to get items/gil or earn EP.

If you've got the DLC costumes, they're markedly more powerful than the ones available at the start of the game - Cloud and FFX Yuna especially - Slayer and Elementalist melt monsters.

Don't try and do everything in one area and then move on - switch it out between areas.

Finally, especially on Easy (because it's more generous with EP) the timer is a complete non-issue because you can afford to use Chronostasis constantly.

Also abuse the time stop. If you're fighting enemies regularly you will get the meter back much faster than you can spend it.

Only on easy, the game is super stingy with EP on normal, you only get ⅕ the EP on normal.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Restart on easy. As far as I'm concerned the difficulty should be considered Normal and Hard. Hard is unreasonably stingy with EP.

Additionally, internalize the fact that there is no XP or Levels. You only get stronger by doing quests. The only reason for fighting is to get items/gil or earn EP.

If you've got the DLC costumes, they're markedly more powerful than the ones available at the start of the game - Cloud and FFX Yuna especially - Slayer and Elementalist melt monsters.

Don't try and do everything in one area and then move on - switch it out between areas.

Finally, especially on Easy (because it's more generous with EP) the timer is a complete non-issue because you can afford to use Chronostasis constantly.

Only on easy, the game is super stingy with EP on normal, you only get ⅕ the EP on normal.

EP isn't really stingy on normal. A handful of fights gets you all you need for chrono stasis and stasis lasts so long it covers it plus other poo poo easily. Plus chaos infused fights guarantee +1 EP minimum in return.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Agents are GO! posted:

I honestly felt like I was cheating using the FFX Yuna costume. Still wore it 90% of the game, though

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

EP isn't really stingy on normal. A handful of fights gets you all you need for chrono stasis and stasis lasts so long it covers it plus other poo poo easily. Plus chaos infused fights guarantee +1 EP minimum in return.

Is that right? I've been getting 0.04EP most battles. I once managed to blow all my potions and get a chaos gorgonopsid down and got 0.4 EP for my trouble (also the knowledge that there's no way I could also take down the other gorgonopsid that spawned after).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

parasyte posted:

Is that right? I've been getting 0.04EP most battles. I once managed to blow all my potions and get a chaos gorgonopsid down and got 0.4 EP for my trouble (also the knowledge that there's no way I could also take down the other gorgonopsid that spawned after).

Let me put it this way. One of the most common complaints about the game is that even bad players need to sleep multiple days away

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

parasyte posted:

I ended up 100 percenting the game On my first Blind Play through and had to sleep away multiple days of time at the end to get to the end.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

parasyte posted:

Yeah, this is my experience too. Feels bad, man.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Did FFVIII "Remastered" on Steam really change anything? It's $20. I wanted to try out another FFVIII mod but it's only for this version. But...$20 for a version of FFVIIi which I don't ecall hearing improved or changed much of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Did FFVIII "Remastered" on Steam really change anything? It's $20. I wanted to try out another FFVIII mod but it's only for this version. But...$20 for a version of FFVIIi which I don't ecall hearing improved or changed much of anything.

They updated character models, added the in game cheat, and made it so you can get Chocobo World stuff via Angelo now. Likewise Book's attacks are just based off Squalls level