Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Every single time I've gone, they have two of the 8 teller spots manned, and have at least 15 people waiting, I assume it's like that all day long.

Who's going to answer the phone? Not those two

Regardless, what mail did they send for those two instances I mentioned, because, there isn't.

Anyways, all I am saying is, most of the frustration could be avoided if most or all of the information they need was digitized and accessible without the user needing to find some form they, likely, no longer have. I am not changing my mind on that particular topic.

Maybe, but it's not exactly support for Elon's point, since not having sufficient tellers or digitized information is likely a result of not enough funding, for which the solution would be more funding, not "government bad" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Konar posted:

Yeah he is a real swirling mystery of intentions and definitely not an obvious moron spoiled man child.

Who on Earth is he "enigmatic" to? Guess people who at one time thought he was the guiding light for humanity and it's too hard to face who he really is?

I can only read that line as venomously sarcastic, and from the tone of the article, I'm pretty sure the author intends for it to be read that way.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Earwicker posted:

entirely regardless of elon's (lack of) skills in the relevant departments, improving twitter is not why he bought it. he just wanted to control the narrative about himself and also to some degree about american and global politics
This gives Elon too much credit who admits readily he has no plan. He's poo poo at running a company because he's a dilettante who thinks his natural "brilliance" will reveal some hidden way that will make people adore him and make him billions of dollars. Even now, he's grasping for his next dopamine hit, not enacting some nefarious plot.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Earwicker posted:

entirely regardless of elon's (lack of) skills in the relevant departments, improving twitter is not why he bought it. he just wanted to control the narrative about himself and also to some degree about american and global politics

elon bought twitter because he's dumb and addicted to twitter hth

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't understand how Twitter is still operative with that idiot firing people and forcing major code changes without review. I guess they built the systems to be incredibly resilient, even to manchild meddling.

you're posting on a VBulletin forum that's been getting propped up by load-bearing slurs by a succession of mostly whatever random volunteers impressed the wifebeating cookie addict founder since 2001, by all evidence shitpost factories are just incredibly robust.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'm baffled that anyone is still working there at this point.

If even half that crap was happening at my job I would've been putting in resumes all over and getting ready to quit ASAP.

Even if it meant going somewhere that paid less having a job with regular hours lined up that doesn't treat you like crap and isn't ran by a manchild is still a step up over all in terms of quality of life.

I'd never be in that position, since I doubt I have the technical chops and would definitely be a bad culture fit, but if I was still a Twitter employee now I'd hang on to the bitter end, just to say I did. I think the people there genuinely care about what they're doing- like it was a mission and not a job- but I don't give a poo poo, so I'd just enjoy the spectacle of it dying messily.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kw0134 posted:

This gives Elon too much credit who admits readily he has no plan. He's poo poo at running a company because he's a dilettante who thinks his natural "brilliance" will reveal some hidden way that will make people adore him and make him billions of dollars. Even now, he's grasping for his next dopamine hit, not enacting some nefarious plot.

:confused: im not saying he had a plan, im saying he bought a site because he was mad about people making fun of him and his rightwing buddies. thats not a plan

i was responding to someone talking about how twitter probably could have been made more efficient with various cuts etc. and i'm saying that while that might technically be true it has nothing at all to do with what happened

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Feel like Elon would die laughing at this

Honestly I find this hilarious because of how dumb it is.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I think you will get to the bottom of this

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kazil posted:

elon bought twitter because he's dumb and addicted to twitter hth

He bought twitter so he could read Grimes private DMs.

Now he reads private conversations in order to see if he can release them to do damage, like he did with Biden/previous management, or to secretly blackmail them.

Wouldn't put it past him.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Earwicker posted:

i was responding to someone talking about how twitter probably could have been made more efficient with various cuts etc. and i'm saying that while that might technically be true it has nothing at all to do with what happened

I'm pretty sure they were just saying someone not stupid could have so the cuts aren't the problem, it's Elon that is the problem. They are dunking on him in a round about way. At least that was my read.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol new twitter files dropping

e: lmao it's 51 tweets long

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kazil posted:

I don't think I can handle a bombshell this big

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

kazil posted:

can't you make massive tweets now?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Earwicker posted:

:confused: im not saying he had a plan, im saying he bought a site because he was mad about people making fun of him and his rightwing buddies. thats not a plan

I don't think we're disagreeing necessarily, because clearly his idea of "making a super free speech platform" was always going to be "whatever I agree with" so turning Twitter into a very expensive version of 4Chan was the predictable outcome. But he had grandiose boasts for making 30% --no, 50%! -- ROI in the first year of ownership so he can turn around and make it public again to great fanfare and he'll make another 100 billion and be hailed as the greatest business mind ever and Grimes will love him again.

Just crazy brain nonsense driving his decision making.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

pixaal posted:

can't you make massive tweets now?

Working on it!

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Twitter Files: Miss Lippy's Car is Green

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I drop massive tweets every morning.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mysterious frankie posted:

I'd never be in that position, since I doubt I have the technical chops and would definitely be a bad culture fit, but if I was still a Twitter employee now I'd hang on to the bitter end, just to say I did. I think the people there genuinely care about what they're doing- like it was a mission and not a job- but I don't give a poo poo, so I'd just enjoy the spectacle of it dying messily.

I could understand that mindset if the company was doing something truly impressive or important.

Like, I dunno, curing cancer or making super cheap solar cells out of perovskites finally practical.

But its just Twitter. A restrictive (and crappy) by design social media website where most of the content is disposable and garbage.

Maybe I'm daft but I could never see it as anything more than a way to get pay the bills. Especially if they treat you poorly and the boss sucks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd still be there because I have such crippling social anxiety that the idea of having to meet someone new to do an interview is traumatic to the point I'll do almost anything to avoid it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So what's the likely end game for this?

Musk sells
Twitter goes under and Musk dumps Tesla stock to pay for 10 years of court cases
Musk admits defeat and reverts Twitter back to how it used ot be with lots of trained staff etc
Another outcome

I'm going with Musk sells it along with a massive meltdown about wokes and shadow governments

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Handsome Ralph posted:

I've always liked Higgins since I heard this exchange
https://youtu.be/WwvMNkCruGw

Coming back to this super late, but yeah, he's a very nice man, and he's 100% not afraid to tear the face off a lovely person.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

kazil posted:

I thought you were just joking, but Jesus loving Christ:

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1633830168673546245

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tai posted:

So what's the likely end game for this?

Musk sells
Twitter goes under and Musk dumps Tesla stock to pay for 10 years of court cases
Musk admits defeat and reverts Twitter back to how it used ot be with lots of trained staff etc
Another outcome

I'm going with Musk sells it along with a massive meltdown about wokes and shadow governments

Musk unloads it for <2% of what he paid. New owners spend years rehabilitating Twitter and they get it back to a functional platform but what momentum it had is lost forever. Twitter becomes a dead, gay forum slowly bleeding people away.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Taibibi released ANOTHER Twitter Files this morning. This poo poo is becoming comical.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1633876365651918848?s=20

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
his av is a twitter bird

Oh its even weirder

Look how I'm attacked and beaten for you!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I could understand that mindset if the company was doing something truly impressive or important.

Like, I dunno, curing cancer or making super cheap solar cells out of perovskites finally practical.

But its just Twitter. A restrictive (and crappy) by design social media website where most of the content is disposable and garbage.

Maybe I'm daft but I could never see it as anything more than a way to get pay the bills. Especially if they treat you poorly and the boss sucks.

I mean, I don't agree that twitter is important*, or that you're doing something valuable by developing or maintaining the platform. My experience with interviewing at large tech companies like Twitter is that the employees definitely feel like they're changing the world, so it's no great leap to assume that before the buyout Twitter was hiring starry-eyed dreamers, and those who remain with the company probably feel like absolute garbage.

*I say this as someone who has stayed away from Twitter since its inception, so maybe it was great for humanity, idk, but from a distance it sure seemed like a lovely way to write and read information that boiled users' brains in piss.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Taibbi is testifying in front of congress today about the twitter files too

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
doesn't that dipshit tabibbi know you can post your screeds in one massive tweet no one will read now??

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

priznat posted:

doesn't that dipshit tabibbi know you can post your screeds in one massive tweet no one will read now??

lol he can't he's legacy verified not subbed

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Hes a Tucker Carlson of sorts as far as upbringing and family.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
A couple odds and ends from today's testimony:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1633856229054267393

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1633857837574275073

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1633861071894368266

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1633873417958211587

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1633875161316474881

Testimony's still ongoing as of this post, Rupar's doing a good job keeping track of this shitshow. God, Taibbi is such a little weasel. I'm glad he's intensely frustrated that barely anyone gives a flying gently caress about the Twitter files.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 9, 2023

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

kazil posted:

lol he can't he's legacy verified not subbed

Haha

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Dang it, clicked quote when I wanted edit.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

My experience with interviewing at large tech companies like Twitter is that the employees definitely feel like they're changing the world, so it's no great leap to assume that before the buyout Twitter was hiring starry-eyed dreamers, and those who remain with the company probably feel like absolute garbage.

I'm sure theres a handful of people who've bought into the BS but by and large I can't see anyone seeing working there as a normal everyday wage earner actually having any loyalty or dreams about working there. Everything I've heard about the place, even before Elon bought it, is that it was never all that great to work for unless you were higher up the chain.

*I say this as someone who has stayed away from Twitter since its inception, so maybe it was great for humanity, idk, but from a distance it sure seemed like a lovely way to write and read information that boiled users' brains in piss.
Yeah I'm one of the few people I know of who has no Twitter, Tiktok, or Facebook accounts. Stuff like these forums or reddit are about as close to social media as I get.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

happyhippy posted:

He bought twitter so he could read Grimes private DMs.

Now he reads private conversations in order to see if he can release them to do damage, like he did with Biden/previous management, or to secretly blackmail them.

Wouldn't put it past him.

lol he bought twitter because he made a dumb joke bid (weed number lol!!!) and the courts held him to it. That's it. He was kicking and fighting it all the way trying to get out of the purchase. He's been trying to spin it as if it was his plan all along for ages but I really don't think there was an actual deeper reason than this, he just wanted people on twitter to pay attention to him and like him but he didn't actually want it.

Just like when he said he was gonna donate 6 billion for a plan to solve world hunger, or the Flint water thing, or the Thai cave rescue, or any of the other examples. He just makes big statements to get praise, because #ElonCares, and then hopes everyone forgets about it before he has to follow through. This time it didn't go away.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

the important thing is the Babylon Bee is unbanned and can continue it's mission to carry out major crimes against humor

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Steadiman posted:

lol he bought twitter because he made a dumb joke bid (weed number lol!!!) and the courts held him to it. That's it. He was kicking and fighting it all the way trying to get out of the purchase. He's been trying to spin it as if it was his plan all along for ages but I really don't think there was an actual deeper reason than this, he just wanted people on twitter to pay attention to him and like him but he didn't actually want it.

Just like when he said he was gonna donate 6 billion for a plan to solve world hunger, or the Flint water thing, or the Thai cave rescue, or any of the other examples. He just makes big statements to get praise, because #ElonCares, and then hopes everyone forgets about it before he has to follow through. This time it didn't go away.

nah, tweets arent legally binding, he actually did set out to buy twitter with contracts and lawyers and stuff during one of his manic phases

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Matt Stoller thinks this is loving Elon Musk pretty bad. I can't follow the legal logic though.

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1633882238335975430

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Testimony's still ongoing as of this post, Rupar's doing a good job keeping track of this shitshow. God, Taibbi is such a little weasel. I'm glad he's intensely frustrated that barely anyone gives a flying gently caress about the Twitter files.

Taibbi has an unfortunate ... I dunno facial tick or something where he always looks like he's loving smirking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Every time I turn my kindle on it's trying to sell me taibbi's book "why we're all so mean to each other" or something and I don't know why

I have bought, through the amazon store, one (1) book by chomsky, and forty (40) discworlds. I own as many manuals about playing mah jong as I do political works. Recommend me anything else shitazon