Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So if you were a nurse from the mainland younhad to take a separate test to work in Hong Kong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

conflating Georgia the state with Georgia the country is an Aaron Sorkin-level "joke" and it sucks, sorry

this forums has a gangtag for that joke even!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Serf posted:

by all accounts atlanta (should have stuck with the much cooler name terminus) was a huge piece of poo poo that was laid out terribly and was a nightmare to get around in before it got burned down. it's still bad today but at least he gave us a shot to do it better

What would have been better is rescinding all territorial accessions of the federal government and recognizing tribal governance, which is a thing that was officially in his purview to do, but as most westerners, it's convenient to look past the fact he was as much a flaming racist as his "enemies," liberals just want to divide camps into sports teams

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I made a grim joke that 'It's a civil war re-enactment, we're gonna needs lot of Indians to shoot' wasn't probably as far off as Homer was supposed to be.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:ssh: also the confederates did much of the burning that gets ascribed to sherman after the union army leaves atlanta

while true this ignores the swath of countryside that was put to the torch and Atlanta was overwhelming white, and so, not the point here

regardless ending this derail here, let's not become the d&d gangtags we mock I'm just saying

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/maria_shagina/status/1633505723899420685

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

whatabout... https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1633061367140761601

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

Also if you have an MBA you have to go to the countryside.

please

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

gradenko_2000 posted:

conflating Georgia the state with Georgia the country is an Aaron Sorkin-level "joke" and it sucks, sorry

Why do they only eat one egg for breakfast in France?
Because in France, one egg is un oeuf.

e: a joke so good he used it twice, he is the man https://decider.com/2020/10/16/one-egg-is-an-oeuf-west-wing-trial-chicago-7/

Turtle Watch has issued a correction as of 09:30 on Mar 9, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/mark-mobius-china-investing-capital-restricting-outflows-markets-strategy-jinping-2023-3

quote:

Mark Mobius, a pioneer in emerging markets investing, said China is restricting investment outflows from the country, a move that would be taking place as the world's second-largest economy is trying to shake off pressure from COVID-19 lockdowns.

"I'm personally affected because I have an account with HSBC in Shanghai. I can't get my money out. The government is restricting the flow of money out of the country," Mobius said on Thursday on the Fox Business show "Mornings with Maria". "So I would be very, very careful investing in China," the founder of Mobius Capital Partners said.

"It's just amazing. They're putting all kinds of barriers," he said. "They don't say, 'No, you can't get your money out,' but they say, 'Give us all the records from 20 years of how you've made this money,' and so forth. It's crazy."

:qq:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tens of thousands of people have signed a petition to remove Hong Kong actor Donnie Yen as an Oscars presenter over his support for the Chinese government.

The online petition was started by "a group of people from Hong Kong".

It says that his latest remarks over protests in Hong Kong in 2019 "violate the spirit of freedom of speech".

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, whose voters determine who the Oscars go to, has not yet commented on the petition.

Yen is a globally recognised action star who recently drew controversy for an interview in which he called the protests a riot.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
his remarks
violate
the spirit of freedom of speech

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
there is a freaky ghost baby haunting hong kong

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
Sorry but the only place we have at the Oscars for Chinese narratives are zany films about Asian Americans with mean "tiger moms"

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Sorry but the only place we have at the Oscars for Chinese narratives are zany films about Asian Americans with mean "tiger moms"

Cultural genocide of traditional Chinese values.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

eSports Chaebol posted:

his remarks
violate

this is how the french think of rights btw

freedom of religion means you cannot wear hijab in public etc

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

this hong kong guy has the wrong opinions about hong kong is funny tho

technically he was american but he gave it up

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Antonymous posted:

this is how the french think of rights btw

freedom of religion means you cannot wear hijab in public etc

France is also about freedom from religion though.

But yeah, telling women what they are allowed to wear is still dumb as gently caress.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.dw.com/en/how-china-controls-its-top-students-in-germany/a-64901849

Oh no, you mean china has a vested interest to protect their students from a commonly exploited vector of attack by foreign intelligence?

Chinese students should be free to be turned into double agents that get found out and executed because their handlers used poo poo rear end software to communicate with them

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does French allow Jews wear stuff on their head or not like they forbid the Muslims?

Also that sikh ceremonial knife?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

that guys nAme is really Mobius? is there also like a Tyler Cerberus ?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I for one cant believe a government would ask their students to not turn traitor on a scholarship and harm their own country to get educated abroad.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

That feeling when sanctioned iran has a better train than america does

https://twitter.com/urorientalist/status/1633653200627593216?s=61&t=8W_23JcWsyyVBsM2w0Q2EQ

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

that guys nAme is really Mobius? is there also like a Tyler Cerberus ?

Mobius is a name. Mobius strip is named for a guy named Möbius

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

also the nickname of one of the best comics artists to have ever lived

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

also the nickname of one of the best comics artists to have ever lived

yah I love Jean. he invented Anime, but otherwise an all-time great

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/urorientalist/status/1633653200627593216?s=61&t=8W_23JcWsyyVBsM2w0Q2EQ

that tiny legroom though. i've had more travelling on the cheapest seats on trains in third world countries

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

this guy seems cool; also uuugh trains

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so ive read somewhere i dont remember where that the chinese government doesnt allow the release of any movies that fantasize about a war with an actual contemporary military power hence why in wolf warrior theyre only fighting mercenaries not actual american soldiers

does anyone know if this rule is actually written down anywhere im trying to figure out if im actually understanding it correctly or if it even exists at all

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

cool train, despite the cringe

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
the people of iran cry out for leg space and gyros that are it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

eSports Chaebol posted:

his remarks
violate

lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
not a bad thread title

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

I love sleeper trains in China. Have found memory of riding them during them back in the day. Most of the cabins are 6-people "hard sleeper" and you have to pay extra for the fancy 4-people cabin "soft sleeper". I can't tell if this 4 ppl cabin is the same size as the Chinese soft cabin.

It's hard to take a train ride here in the US. I have already done a 17-hr roadtrip to florida, 12-hr road trip to Toronto, yet I have never ridden a long train ride on Amtrek ever. Longest train ride was when I sold my car to a guy 100 mile away and rode the train home lol. Got to take a son to a cross continental some time.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

so ive read somewhere i dont remember where that the chinese government doesnt allow the release of any movies that fantasize about a war with an actual contemporary military power hence why in wolf warrior theyre only fighting mercenaries not actual american soldiers

does anyone know if this rule is actually written down anywhere im trying to figure out if im actually understanding it correctly or if it even exists at all

Article 25 Films are prohibited from containing the following content:

(1) Objecting to the basic principles established by the Constitution;

(2) Endangering national unity, sovereignty and territorial integrity;

(3) Leaking state secrets, endangering national security, or damaging national honor and interests;

(4) Inciting ethnic hatred, ethnic discrimination, undermining ethnic unity, or infringing on ethnic customs and habits;

(5) Propagating cults and superstitions;

(6) Disrupting social order and disrupting social stability;

(7) Promoting obscenity, gambling, violence or abetting crimes;

(8) Insulting or slandering others, infringing upon the lawful rights and interests of others;

(9) Endangering social morality or the fine cultural traditions of the nation;

(10) Contains other content prohibited by laws, administrative regulations and state regulations.

The technical quality of films shall conform to national standards.

https://www-gov-cn.translate.goog/z...&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

edit: the wiki has some of the additions/revisions

https://zh-m-wikipedia-org.translat...&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Mar 10, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont know what its like for businesses, but for individuals its been basically like that the entire time ive lived here. to wire money out of the country you need to provide tax documents showing that you earned the money legally and paid taxes on it and you have to do some other paperwork alongside that. im not sure if what this guys complaining about is anything new

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fart simpson posted:

i dont know what its like for businesses, but for individuals its been basically like that the entire time ive lived here. to wire money out of the country you need to provide tax documents showing that you earned the money legally and paid taxes on it and you have to do some other paperwork alongside that. im not sure if what this guys complaining about is anything new

it's very similar in Türkiyeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

HiroProtagonist posted:

this poo poo meme is racist, classist and profoundly ahistorical and i wish people would stop saying it tia

:wrong:
Sherman didn't go far enough, he should have marched another 30 or so miles, into the sea.

HiroProtagonist posted:

What would have been better is rescinding all territorial accessions of the federal government and recognizing tribal governance, which is a thing that was officially in his purview to do, but as most westerners, it's convenient to look past the fact he was as much a flaming racist as his "enemies," liberals just want to divide camps into sports teams

They're right to do so in this instance because just like American sports teams they all suck.