Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 111

lol, lmao even at Miyako's awkwardness at being asked to help finance a movie about her dead surrogate daughter's grisly murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Just sheer ruthlessness.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 42 hours!)

oh lord, this arc is gonna take like a decade to finish

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

15 years i think

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I love how this manga can switch from supernatural serial killer to a power point on investment strategies in Japanese cinema.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The fact that this whole series has explained its different industries its covered in such detail and realism is why it works so well imo. It's like Bakuman with reincarnation.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fluffdaddy posted:

The fact that this whole series has explained its different industries its covered in such detail and realism is why it works so well imo. It's like Bakuman with reincarnation.

and murder

and long plotted revenge for said murder

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

It is great for that, though I do miss the fan-translation's endnotes on the topics discussed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
New chapter. Moving along with the movie stuff.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Wait, hold on, presumably the director has read the full script, assuming Aqua isn't holding the most important details back for some dramatic reveal (ok typing that out he totally loving would, but he shouldn't need to leave the director in the dark about it), so Director should know that the culprit (played by Aqua) is the father of Ai's children. Why the gently caress would you cast his sister to play Ai in those circumstances. That's gross. Audiences are gonna know that's gross.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, but like the press, and people are gonna be interested

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ZiegeDame posted:

Wait, hold on, presumably the director has read the full script, assuming Aqua isn't holding the most important details back for some dramatic reveal (ok typing that out he totally loving would, but he shouldn't need to leave the director in the dark about it), so Director should know that the culprit (played by Aqua) is the father of Ai's children. Why the gently caress would you cast his sister to play Ai in those circumstances. That's gross. Audiences are gonna know that's gross.

Am I misremembering? Wasn't the guy who did it someone else that the dad hired?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ch112

Forgot Kana is older than the Aqua&Ruby.

word play hit on Kana graduating high school an also 'graduating' as an idol which is the word you use when an idol decides to retire from the group.

Mysterious DVDs are mysterious.

double curve ball with who will play Ai, jumping from Akane to Frill...and then Ruby....

copy
Jul 26, 2007

SpacePig posted:

no you're right. the guy who stabbed Ai was not their father. The father was the man who sent that guy after her (presumably)

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SpacePig posted:

Aqua is not doing all this to call out the pawn who actually stabbed AI and has already been arrested/killed himself (don't remember which). The Culprit he is playing in this movie is absolutely his biological father.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
This page lists "the culprit" and "the star of Lala Lai" as separate characters. Their Dad was the star performer back then so I think Aqua is playing the stalker.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I don't recall the DVDs, which chapter were those in? Or is it the first time we the readers got told they exist?

Also Aqua totally watched his and hid Ruby's somewhere

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Can't believe Aqua is going to stab Ruby in the gut :ohdear:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Man, I'm so loving done with Aqua and his bullshit. I can understand keeping your cards close to your chest when hunting down your mom's murderer, but not telling Ruby about the existence of the DVDs Ai left for them is a whole other level of assholishness. Rooting for Ruby to get the role of Ai and use her acting chops to further traumatize Aqua.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Yeah Aqua is a manipulative piece of poo poo who sucks, also

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Dude's sucked from the very beginning, he had capital-i Issues about Ai and Serena and the circumstances around his parentless childhood only carry him so far as an excuse.

If they can circle this back around to make a cogent point about how the industry exploits existing social voids to harm children and encourage their abusers, and can draw a direct correlation between both Aqua and the murderer, and if the publisher could even let them get away with such a cutting indictment, I'd be very impressed.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I feel Aqua is planning to just kill himself or let himself be killed at the end. Which is why he doesn’t care that Ruby lost any bond with them

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

What started it off for me was when Aqua revealed he had Akane bugged, which was loving paranoid, controlling boyfriend behavior even if it prevented Akane from getting herself killed. But the straw that broke the camel's back for me was Aqua revealing Ai's secret without Ruby's consent.

When Aqua and Ruby were chilling out and they both agreed that Kana being featured in a scandal was terrible, I thought for sure that Aqua asking Ruby "hey, if there's a way to save her but it's gonna suck, do you wanna still do it?" was him about to team up with her. The final line in the chapter even said "We still have a chance" except... no, Aqua didn't include her in his plan at all. :wtc:

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

If they can circle this back around to make a cogent point about how the industry exploits existing social voids to harm children and encourage their abusers, and can draw a direct correlation between both Aqua and the murderer, and if the publisher could even let them get away with such a cutting indictment, I'd be very impressed.

There was the director of Lala Lai who admitted he liked to scout kids who have voids in their hearts that he then fills with acting. Except he's Taiki Himekawa's surrogate dad so it doesn't feel like the indictment it should've been.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

New anime PV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKWEUJ4r5do

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder how people are going to feel about the whole reincarnation angle.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They’ll probably think it’s weird

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I still think it's weird, but the whole murder mystery revenge plot helps contextualize it in a way that's far less freaky than it'd be if it was a regular idol type story

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The weirdest thing about the reincarnation is how little impact it actually has on the plot.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

after years of isekai and reincarnation isekai, why would people bat an eye at this reincarnation.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

GateOfD posted:

after years of isekai and reincarnation isekai, why would people bat an eye at this reincarnation.

it's an obgyn being reincarnated as the child of his patient who is also his favorite idol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The weirdest thing about the reincarnation is how little impact it actually has on the plot.

so far

i like how every now and then there's just supernatural poo poo like the reincarnation or the crows and the thing that guided ruby to aqua's former body and im interested in what it all looks like when it finally comes together

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I mean that's true for many Isekai/reincarnation/"time travel with memories intact" stories.
Isekai biggest strength is as a cheap framing device and a reason why to give your MC super powers.
It would definitely be possible to remove it with a bit of a re-write.

For this one is that they have the whole "adult intelligence as a baby" weirdness going.
Has Aqua used the fact he used to be a doctor at any time whatsoever?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

White Rock posted:

I mean that's true for many Isekai/reincarnation/"time travel with memories intact" stories.
Isekai biggest strength is as a cheap framing device and a reason why to give your MC super powers.
It would definitely be possible to remove it with a bit of a re-write.

For this one is that they have the whole "adult intelligence as a baby" weirdness going.

once or twice. Wasn't a major thing

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

yep, and from what we seen in his old life, he was your average doctor, did his job well, but not like some kind of genius in his field like other isekai candidates, and spending 15+ years growing up in another life with no involvement in medicine just means that part of his past life is severely diluted.
which is pretty realistic thing imo. compared to the isekai characters with photographic memory to recall things 40 years ago perfectly

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
He used his past-life knowledge to just sorta skate through school so he'd have time for all the showbiz and revenge plotting.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

White Rock posted:

-He diagnoses where Ai was stabbed, but that doesn't allow him to save her.
-It helps him ace his exams to get into high school
-It's possible his knowledge about DNA/paternity tests is related to his being a doctor

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wasn't there a throwaway line early on that he was moonlighting as an online doctor or something

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
A new chapter is out.
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015784

That's a lot of coins!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Agony
Suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory