Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

FulsomFrank posted:

In the same vein, Frosthaven looks incredible but lol, just lol at the idea of having enough time to play it regularly. Has anyone commented on whether the set up/take down is streamlined at all from GH or is it still a nightmare?

The first couple of scenarios took us ~30min each to set up, but now that we know what we're doing it's 10-15min at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Frosthaven also fixed the issue with Gloomhaven where you had to cover up parts of the page to avoid spoiling yourself on map reveals, I believe - just all around a better experience without needing to rely on third party apps like we did for GH.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished a game of Tin Helm by the skin of my teeth.

So far not sure if I like it as much as Gate, I kept making seemingly wrong choices, since I didn't know what cards had the ones I needed, and I think if you memorized what each card did, it would be way easier.

I'll have to play it a few more times, but I like the idea it has to do the dungeon crawl, and I think it would be cool to like, line the cards up and take a picture to share of the path you took for each game....maybe to someone else, who knows who'd actually find that interesting.

There's some variation by there being some race/class combination but the enemy count is very low and having to keep picking up the deck to find the card I need to battle is kind of annoying. I feel like instead of each location specifying which enemy to interact with, the enemy cards should be randomized. I also think this of the loot deck. There was a whole bunch of levels of the dungeon where I just fought the same creatures or got the same loot cards or empty chests, which doesn't feel great.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 7, 2023

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SettingSun posted:

Talisman digital is a guilty pleasure of mine. Being able to speed through the bot turns is a godsend. Don't think I'd ever play it with actual people though because it's still not a good game. Even digital, don't play at max players, nor with more than like 2 expansions tops. Playing with them all is insanity.

Counterpoint: play with max players, but simultaneous real time. :black101:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Frosthaven gonna be such a banger when digital comes out in 2029

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Hey Board Games thread, I was considering doing a (Team Based, Championship) LP of Heat: Pedal to the Metal.

In the tradition of my previous Gloomhaven and King Dilemma LPs, I would have to somewhat adjust the rules to fit into an asynchronous, two step, partially blind update cycle. I think it would work well for Heat, but I wanted to ask some suggestions. This is the hypotetical structure:
  • Before Update A: Teams send in their gear+cards. The gear they were in at the end of the previous round is known, of course, but the selection for the current round is hidden.
  • Update A (Phases 1-3): gear+cards are revealed, cars are moved first>last.
  • Before Update B: Teams send in their use of Adrenaline, Boost and Slipstream with conditional requirements (as in "only slipstream if I don't lose the last position as a result of it" or something like that).
  • Update B (Phases 4-9) first to last these are resolved: Adrenaline > react + secret boost > slipstream > check corners > discard > replenish.

This is mostly how the game would play out irl; the main difference being:
  • "Normal" game: in a normal game, cars activate first>last, but when they are activated they go through phases 3 to 9 before moving to the next player; this means that, when it's your time to act, you already know whether the cars that have acted before you have boosted and/or their final position for the round.
  • LP: there is a secret decision regarding the use of Adrenaline, Boost and Slipstream. While I would assume Adrenaline and Slipstream are a given (unless a corner is involved for the former), Boost becomes a big question mark.
I would argue that this introduces some (additional) random elements to the race, but at the same time, in contrast to what happens when you play live (unless you are a professional poker player or something) you always have full knowledge of what's in everyone's discard pile (and, by exclusion, what's still in their decks), so there is an element of risk assesment/betting that could be fun to play and reduce some of the potential randomness.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Did a game of Desolate and I like it so far less than Tin Helm and less than Gate. Desolate & Tin Helm are basically the same game, one is scifi and less thematic and more Resident Evil, while the other is Fantasy and more thematic, and more Guild of Dungeoneering (at least, that's the comparison I have for the dungeon crawling aspect of the game, not any other parts. There might be a better comparison here). This made me a bit sad because I much prefer the aesthetics of Desolate over every single other Jason Glover game I've played so far.

While there's even less enemy variety in Desolate vs Tin Helm, the former has you fighting 1 type of alien but the variety is within a random set of cards so the health is different every time, the latter summons specific creatures on combinations, and for some reason Desolate comes out ahead in this regard. Perhaps part of my brain while playing sees different numbers = truly different aliens and finds it more interesting. :shrug:

That being said, I constantly was running out of ammo, which, I think means I was fighting too often. I'd constantly be running into combat, and then over compensating with too much ammo spent to OHKO the alien. The big item mag seems useful on the surface, and perhaps it can be, but refueling any of your resources you need to manage is kind of a crapshoot, since you only get 1-2 at tops of each of your resources back at a time (usually 2 health, and no ammo or oxygen, or 1 oxygen and nothing else, etc) Enemy deals four damage to you in a combat round? At 14hp at max, this is already a big oof, but then you roll poorly and now you have to deal with 0-5 random damage coming in, and you keep doing this until one of you dies. Roll poorly a few times and game over.

This, is not what I consider "difficulty". Difficulty is managing resources and understanding when to do what. Getting hosed on rng, no one enjoys, and is not skill based. It's a solo game, so fudging your rolls is perfectly acceptable in my eyes, but only to a certain extent.

I skimmed over the boosters and expansion and it only really seems to make the game harder (and the four player expansion looks somewhat similar to Solar Storm, almost) which....isn't what I was hoping for. There's a couple of big items in the expansion but outside of a few instances, you only get those items on start of game and they're either "once per level" or "once per game", effectively neutering their usefulness outside of emergency situations. All of the items are like that, though, in that there's no one item that is outstanding over the others, so I guess it doesn't matter that much which you get. One new aspect is the character cards, which can make the game marginally easier by allowing you more item cards at the start of the game, but only specific cards instead of just being able to draw more cards.

Though, with a name like "Desolate" maybe it refers not just to the theming, but also your emotions playing it.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 9, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

What kind of games that play 4-6 well do you like to put on the table that aren’t super heavy and are accessible to pretty casual players?

For example, my friends enjoy Catan (I’m pretty meh on it but I’ll play it just to play something) and maaaybeee could handle something a little more complex and LOVE Scout, but the reason I’m looking for something that plays 6 well is because my girlfriend and I have started doing game nights with her family. They’re very fun and open-minded people and aren’t new to gaming (the brother DMs, his girlfriend is also into gaming, the dad loves RISK but can’t get anyone to play with him :v:) but may not want to dive into 60 minutes of rules teaching after dinner. I’m looking for something that I can put in front of both crowds if possible and let’s be honest, to join my growing starter collection of games collecting dust on the shelf

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just played Ravine the other night and that was really cool. Cooperative or with the expansion of complicated semi betrayal game. Very simple.

I also like were doomed it's a party game that scales to 10 but is okay with smaller groups

Both are very light and include some strategy and some weird wackiness

King of Tokyo and Race for the Galaxy are also simplr simple. Race looks intimidating but once you get used to the visual shorthand and you'll be fine and the explainer cards do a good job.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-Square posted:

What kind of games that play 4-6 well do you like to put on the table that aren’t super heavy and are accessible to pretty casual players?

Viticulture is a very good go-to for 6. Libertalia would be solid as well, as would Dream Home (although you'll need the expansion to play with more than 4). 6 is a funny count though, so many more games play with 5.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm going to make a small effort post about Ravine because we had a lot of fun and I'd never heard of it before. Ravine is group survival with a simple cycle of trading health to forage for new cards, using those cards to heal up and craft and get ready for the night, the night comes and it usually something bad happens to your group unless you have the tools in place to protect yourselves. Then in the morning anyone with only one HP takes a madness card that ofen include some silly rules like singing what you say.

The expansion adds spirit characters who want to kill a random number of you. It's a fixed number between none and all of you that the spirits roll when the game starts. Spirits get extra cards of all the kinds you use in the regular game and during their turn each Spirit can put a card where one of the survival players might draw it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

T-Square posted:

City of Horror
Long Shot: the Dice Game
The Boss
Ethnos

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the estates, hansa teutonica, santiago. all only play max 5 but are worth disinviting a friend for.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Medici is great at 5 and 6

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

7 Wonders plays 7, and It's A Wonderful World plays 5 (7 with expansion). Both aren't too hard to teach, and use a simultaneous drafting system so there's not much downtime. That's a kind of game I like to play with a large group.

I also love Lords of Waterdeep, but if you're playing high player counts the expansion is basically required. 5 base, 6 with expansion.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Lords of Water deep is a great lower complexity worker placement

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
For something different, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is very rule light and plays well no matter how many players there are, imo.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
For 6, you definitely want something that plays somewhat simultaneously, like Libertalia, 7 Wonders, Sushi Go (which is just much simpler 7 wonders), or Pictomania. RFTG, sure, but good luck getting casuals to understand it and want to play.

Would not recommend something like Viticulture, which sure, you CAN play 6, but adding more people just means it takes a lot longer. Literally just played a 4p game with 2 experienced gamers but new to Viticulture, and it took over 2 hours, can't imagine adding 2 more.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For Sale and No Thanks sit 6 as well.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

an actual dog posted:

7 Wonders plays 7, and It's A Wonderful World plays 5 (7 with expansion). Both aren't too hard to teach, and use a simultaneous drafting system so there's not much downtime. That's a kind of game I like to play with a large group.

Elysium posted:

For 6, you definitely want something that plays somewhat simultaneously...Would not recommend something like Viticulture, which sure, you CAN play 6, but adding more people just means it takes a lot longer
Quoting both for truth. 7 Wonders was the answer that jumped to mind immediately when I read the question.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

drat, I was not expecting that many recs for 6 players, I will put them on the list and check them out, thanks!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's special when a game can take a large group and not drag. There's games I've played more than I'd actually like to just because they're smooth with a large group.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig is an excellent game for mixed company, because your neighbors have to help you.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Don’t forget team /party games like Codenames and Wavelength, and traitor stuff like Scapegoat / resistance etc too.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I genuinely thought Concordia was a settlers of Catan killer. The game is so simple, elegant and clean to play. All you do is play a card every turn and do what it says! Anyways, my actual experience has been markedly different but still, perhaps Concordia. The Venus version of the base game plays 6 right out of the box.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Funagain have just announced that they're closing down their web store and are doing a warehouse clearance sale. NA customers only and no free shipping. Oddly, their brick and mortar stores aren't closing - normally it's the other way around.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Street Horrrsing posted:

I genuinely thought Concordia was a settlers of Catan killer. The game is so simple, elegant and clean to play. All you do is play a card every turn and do what it says! Anyways, my actual experience has been markedly different but still, perhaps Concordia. The Venus version of the base game plays 6 right out of the box.

Concordia was (according to my admittedly imperfect BGG stats) my second-most-played game last year, so I'm a huge stan. My only concern about it being a Catan killer is I think it is a little too complex for a new gamer, but I'm happy to be proven wrong on that if folks have experience to the contrary.

4 or 6 player Concordia:Venus, if done with teams, is 2v2(v2), where both team members simultaneously act on each team member's turns, so downtime is in theory cut by half (or a third). I've never played teams, but I imagine it might be welcome in larger games; though Concordia's not the slowest game around, it can drag a bit when you get to five players, especially if you've got some analysis paralysis culprits.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Admiralty Flag posted:

Concordia was (according to my admittedly imperfect BGG stats) my second-most-played game last year, so I'm a huge stan. My only concern about it being a Catan killer is I think it is a little too complex for a new gamer, but I'm happy to be proven wrong on that if folks have experience to the contrary.

4 or 6 player Concordia:Venus, if done with teams, is 2v2(v2), where both team members simultaneously act on each team member's turns, so downtime is in theory cut by half (or a third). I've never played teams, but I imagine it might be welcome in larger games; though Concordia's not the slowest game around, it can drag a bit when you get to five players, especially if you've got some analysis paralysis culprits.

I wouldn't recommend Concordia teams unless everoyne has played normal concordia first at least. It's a heck of a thing to get your head around, with the added difficulty of synchronizing and optimizing card play order.
That being said, it is such good fun once people do have a solid grasp of it. We have played it twice at 6p in our group and had a ball every time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

Funagain have just announced that they're closing down their web store and are doing a warehouse clearance sale. NA customers only and no free shipping. Oddly, their brick and mortar stores aren't closing - normally it's the other way around.

They've got some deals, but the liquidation section is pretty well picked through now

I looked through everything else hunting for either a solo game or something that might be otherwise a buy, but was typically on sale:
terraforming mars, betrayal at the house on the hill, wormholes, nemesis lockdown, marvel dice throne, forgotten depths, roll for the galaxy ambition, outer rim expansion, "so, you've been eaten" (not on sale but looks neat), spaceship unity, space station phoenix, tiny epic dungeons, tales from the loop boardgame expansions, exit the game: kidnapped in fortune city, dark souls expansions, bloodborne expansions, Secrets of the Lost Station, unfathomable, alien fate of the nostromo (not on sale), exit the game: the cursed labyrinth, dune house secrets, anno 1800, Mint cooperative, mint delivery, descent legends of the dark, nemesis, other Exit The Game games, Sword & Sorcery, dune imperium, "Aliens: Get Away From Her, You B***h!", on mars, fallout board game expansion, scythe expansion, dune ixians & tleilaxu, the search for planet x (oh this might be a buy), roll player fiends and familiars, sovereign skies, succulent, ganymede, otys, planetarium, sidereal confluence, shards of infinity, circadians first light, talisman, time stories revolution, mage knight expansions, alien frontiers, cosmic encounter

I'll have to dig through all of these to see what bgg rates it I think...

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 10, 2023

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

T-Square posted:

For example, my friends enjoy Catan (I’m pretty meh on it but I’ll play it just to play something) and maaaybeee could handle something a little more complex and LOVE Scout, but the reason I’m looking for something that plays 6 well is because my girlfriend and I have started doing game nights with her family. They’re very fun and open-minded people and aren’t new to gaming (the brother DMs, his girlfriend is also into gaming, the dad loves RISK but can’t get anyone to play with him :v:) but may not want to dive into 60 minutes of rules teaching after dinner. I’m looking for something that I can put in front of both crowds if possible and let’s be honest, to join my growing starter collection of games collecting dust on the shelf

talisman

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Do not play talisman, in case the previous post was seen as a good suggestion.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mods???

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

All expansions condensed into a single kallax shelf, suck it anti-talismailures

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

T-Square posted:

To revisit this after the hand grenade of Talisman was thrown in the room: do you have objections to buying two different games? Because you can have two different experiences at 4 and 6.

6 is better if turns are fast and/or simultaneous. I've already put in my pitch for 7 Wonders.

4 (and specifically 4 or less) gives you a couple more options where you can play a game not requiring strict simultaneous turns. From lightest to heaviest in my sole opinion, im going to say Pan Am, Concordia*, and Castles of Burgundy, and it's close between Concordia and CoB (CoB is probably a little heavier because you just refer to quick reference sheets throughout the game no matter how well you know it).

Pan Am sticks out like a sore thumb here next to two classic Euros, but is a tight little fast-moving gateway Euro that I've played many times with newbies and enjoyed. It's a bit more confrontational than most, but that's because there are auction tracks for many of the worker placement locations and limited opportunities to do everything that can get grabbed quickly.

(* Concordia can handle up to 5 players, and Concordia:Venus can handle up to 6, though with 6 it's recommended to play it with teams of 2 players each.)

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Quote-Unquote posted:

All expansions condensed into a single kallax shelf, suck it anti-talismailures

:mods:

Kidding aside, I wanna like Talisman more than I do.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The expansion bloat is the only part that really bugs me. You can play for hours without seeing a monster. I'm trying to figure out a decent way of customising each deck to ensure a good balance of fights and events.

Other times the game can be over in less than an hour because someone just keeps drawing powerful stuff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
PARKS is a good game, but only goes up to 5. Despite the fact that there're no simultaneous turns, having more people doesn't necessarily slow the game down that much - because more players mean more hikers taking up space, it means seasons get finished faster as hikers are forced to the exit, so it kind of balances out (still takes a little longer though).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Flamme Rouge (peloton) is 6p, simultaneous, low-complexity, and you can put on Queen while you play to ~greatly enhance~ the experience

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Decon posted:

:mods:

Kidding aside, I wanna like Talisman more than I do.

Have you played Relic?

I was also in the same boat with Talisman, I want to like it but it feels so long and like I have so little agency in the gameplay.

Relic slaps the Warhammer 40k license on that, which makes it a bit more appealing to me, and has some mechanical changes to make the game a bit more interesting to me:

Dice explode on sixes, which is fun when it happens.
There's a third skill for combat, so it's Strength, Willpower, and Cunning. This makes it feel slightly more like you're making a choice on if you go left or right after rolling.
Less expansions available, so you're less likely to get trapped by someone pulling everything out for the game that never ends.

If you hate Talisman you won't like Relic, but if you almost like Talisman you might kind of like Relic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Gooners, where's the buy/sell bg thread, I have a bunch of poo poo I need to unload

Or does everyone just go to like.. bgg market