Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Seemlar posted:

I kind of feel like to have Sisko present in First Contact you'd have to swap him into Worf's place rather than Lily and having him be the one pressed into leading the defense effort. Otherwise there's a few too many top level people around making things overly messy.

And I don't think that trade is worth it, honestly.

The jarring nature of it is intentional and pretty appropriate if you're familiar with that they're going for.

now i kind of want to see sisko merged into lily and worf's roles, but that's probably going a bit far

still, i can literally hear avery brooks snarling "assimilate this" *boom*

:hellyeah:

i think it could have worked with both sisko and worf, though — but yeah, probably not them and also lily. having sisko in charge of eliminating the borg (possibly because picard can't stay objective?) while picard deals with the situation on earth seems like it could work. i'd watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seemlar posted:

I kind of feel like to have Sisko present in First Contact you'd have to swap him into Worf's place rather than Lily and having him be the one pressed into leading the defense effort. Otherwise there's a few too many top level people around making things overly messy.

And I don't think that trade is worth it, honestly.

The jarring nature of it is intentional and pretty appropriate if you're familiar with that they're going for.

Also if he's in Lily's place what the hell was he was he doing already back in time helping Zefram Cochrane with his warp drive? I know you like building ships Sisko but stop loving around with the timeline! Like. what the hell man???

But yeah, would that would make sense, as if you include Sisko you'd have to do quite a bit of restructuring of the plot anyway, you could of still put him in the scene though as it really does work a lot better with him in it. Picards character arc is him dealing with borg related PTSD, so having another character who's going through similar just makes sense. And also, like Lily's actor did a fine job, but Brooks and Stewart just play off each other really drat well.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

having sisko in charge of eliminating the borg (possibly because picard can't stay objective?) while picard deals with the situation on earth seems like it could work. i'd watch it

Remember that originally Picard was supposed to be dealing with the situation on Earth, using his historian's background to know how things were supposed to go and having to maybe pull a Gabriel Bell as they waited to see if Cochrane survived the attack. Riker would have stayed on the ship. But Stewart, as per, had a "nobody fucks the historian, put me in the action plot instead" discussion, and he got the action plot instead.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

disaster pastor posted:

Remember that originally Picard was supposed to be dealing with the situation on Earth, using his historian's background to know how things were supposed to go and having to maybe pull a Gabriel Bell as they waited to see if Cochrane survived the attack. Riker would have stayed on the ship. But Stewart, as per, had a "nobody fucks the historian, put me in the action plot instead" discussion, and he got the action plot instead.

lol oh yeah that's right

i think the main takeaway is that while patrick stewart is an absolutely masterful actor — seriously, one of the finest — he should never, ever go anywhere near a writer's room

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

disaster pastor posted:

Wait, what? Do you have a source on that? There's no way that they didn't have Picard confronting the Borg, that's the core of the movie.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Wait, what? Do you have a source on that? There's no way that they didn't have Picard confronting the Borg, that's the core of the movie.

It's late for me to do actual digging up, so all I can give you at the moment is the Memory-Alpha summary:

quote:

Having read the early script pages too, Patrick Stewart, however, was dissatisfied with the film. Stewart suggested that the Picard and Riker stories be switched. Thus, the focus of the film was transferred to the action aboard the Enterprise with a B-story on the planet's surface. Elements like Ruby the photographer and an injured Cochrane were ultimately scrapped. As was any prospect of a love affair for Picard.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MikeJF posted:

i don't remember where but i do remember reading that also. he was probably supposed to deal with the borg at some point, but iirc there was a ton more set on earth that got excised

e: ^^^ yep

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like you might be reading too much into that saying it was just 'he wanted to kick rear end!'. I think the film is almost certainly better with Picard on the ship and he likely saw that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MikeJF posted:

I feel like you might be reading too much into 'he wanted to kick rear end!'. I think the film is almost certainly better with Picard on the ship and he likely saw that.

i specifically remember patrick demanding more action scenes. again, i don't remember where, but i feel like it was in an interview with ron d. moore

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

dr_rat posted:

Also if he's in Lily's place what the hell was he was he doing already back in time helping Zefram Cochrane with his warp drive? I know you like building ships Sisko but stop loving around with the timeline! Like. what the hell man???

But yeah, would that would make sense, as if you include Sisko you'd have to do quite a bit of restructuring of the plot anyway, you could of still put him in the scene though as it really does work a lot better with him in it. Picards character arc is him dealing with borg related PTSD, so having another character who's going through similar just makes sense. And also, like Lily's actor did a fine job, but Brooks and Stewart just play off each other really drat well.

You'd just not have a 21st century Earther on the Enterprise. Worf and Sisko beam over from the Defiant. Maybe Sisko is injured and that puts him in sickbay. He gets separated from the rest of the group fleeing the Borg and links up with Picard at the same time as Lily did in the story (after Picard kills Lynch). You have to replace the "look, Earth from Space without New Zealand for some reason" with another scene.

But you can get Picard and Sisko going back to back with Tommy Guns and tell me that's not awesome.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

It's true, and why they fixed it

quote:

Looking at the early scripts, the trio knew that serious work was needed. "It just didn't make sense that Picard, the one guy who has a history with the Borg, never meets them," Braga recalled.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Kotobukiya_EN/status/1633660139218821120

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So, watched the Deep Space Nine season 2 finale The Jem'Hadar. Earlier someone was talking about how the Borg episode starts with an ensign spilling coffee on Picard– it's a gag– but then it goes into Holy Christ mode with the Jem'Hadar and the Dominion and them knowing everything about the Federation side of the galaxy and Quark namedropping the holocaust and the Odyssey getting chopped up. WOW

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's funny you folks are talking about First Contact, because so far season 2 def feels similar to first contacts beats. Borg, timetravel shenanigans, undercover visit to local earth etc

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

"Vulcan Science Officer"

Yeah you're not fooling me, I know how the Bishoujo line works. That's Spock.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DoubleCakes posted:

So, watched the Deep Space Nine season 2 finale The Jem'Hadar. Earlier someone was talking about how the Borg episode starts with an ensign spilling coffee on Picard– it's a gag– but then it goes into Holy Christ mode with the Jem'Hadar and the Dominion and them knowing everything about the Federation side of the galaxy and Quark namedropping the holocaust and the Odyssey getting chopped up. WOW

i love that the episode basically starts off with the B-plot. what seems like an episode about jake and nog doing a science project turns into something hugely significant for the rest of the series

and then season 3 starts off with a bang too. man, sometimes i wish i could watch DS9 again for the first time. it's so good lol

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MikeJF posted:

The (very poor quality and seemingly very rushed) Mad magazine parody of the film has Picard stay on Earth - they seemed to be working off an earlier version of the script, given that a bunch of the jokes seem to also be referencing scenes that aren't actually in the movie.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I feel like you might be reading too much into that saying it was just 'he wanted to kick rear end!'. I think the film is almost certainly better with Picard on the ship and he likely saw that.

This exact same thing has happened to PatStew so many times I no longer give him the benefit of a doubt in these stories. :)

The guy is phenomenal actor, but as a producer he has absolutely no idea on why Picard as a TNG character worked, and should stay away from that part of the process. Please stop doing the "fightin'n'fuckin-granpa" and go back to "cool diplomat and authority figure".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This is violence.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's funny how the actual uniform boots from TOS had at most an inch and a half of heel, but whenever anyone does a modern/cosplay representation they invariably at least double in height.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watching the second series of TOS and Bones, Chief Medical Officer of the flagship of The Star Fleet, just hit a pregnant alien woman with a right hook to the face, then declared he's making it part of his medical treatments from now on.

And not only does everyone, the woman included, take this in stride, it also proves to be "just what was needed".

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Meatgrinder posted:

Watching the second series of TOS and Bones, Chief Medical Officer of the flagship of The Star Fleet, just hit a pregnant alien woman with a right hook to the face, then declared he's making it part of his medical treatments from now on.

And not only does everyone, the woman included, take this in stride, it also proves to be "just what was needed".

1960s casual misogyny, baby!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
A Ferengi who wants to be a Klingon and his parents are very concerned. Then they try to play his game and tell him that if he makes profit he can "Honour his family".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Meatgrinder posted:

Yep.

Even beside that, I'm not sure what the "point" of Friday's Child is supposed to be. Nothing much really happens in the episode aside from a little Klingon intrigue and an obvious analogue to Middle Easterners (?) with the Capellans.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah i really don't get the point of "friday's child" either. i guess if you really stretch a bit it's a story about federation values in comparison to the klingons, but as mentioned they literally deck a pregnant woman

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

i think it could have worked with both sisko and worf, though — but yeah, probably not them and also lily. having sisko in charge of eliminating the borg (possibly because picard can't stay objective?) while picard deals with the situation on earth seems like it could work. i'd watch it

Also would fit in with Picard's archeological interests.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
what if The Inner Light had been a Riker episode instead of a Picard episode and featured a trombone instead of a flute?

something to think about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm becoming a Buck Bokai truther, there's no way that the best baseball player of all time came from an era when only 300 people attended the World Series. You put him against a legit big league pitcher and he's an AAA player, at best.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zoux posted:

I'm becoming a Buck Bokai truther, there's no way that the best baseball player of all time came from an era when only 300 people attended the World Series. You put him against a legit big league pitcher and he's an AAA player, at best.
Was there a Covid empty stadium World Series?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Entropic posted:

what if The Inner Light had been a Riker episode instead of a Picard episode and featured a trombone instead of a flute?

something to think about.

this would have blocked riker giving riker the trombone in second chances which was a really poignant scene, so i don't like it

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nightbird!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nessus posted:

Was there a Covid empty stadium World Series?

Nope, lack of interest. I watched "If Wishes Were Horses" the other day and in the TNG universe, baseball went extinct in like the 2030s. There are players in the MLB right now who are younger than Bokai is supposed to be (born Halloween, 1998) and that makes him only four years younger than Shohei Ohtani. So they were right that the second coming of Babe Ruth would be a Japanese player, but they thought he'd be a stocky, 5'7'' database professional instead of a 6'4" two-way Adonis

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That makes sense, Baseball is very stupid and boring.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maybe he was the second coming of Babe Ruth because he was also a stocky man with little legs who had to hit dingers because he was the slowest baserunner ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sash! posted:

Maybe he was the second coming of Babe Ruth because he was also a stocky man with little legs who had to hit dingers because he was the slowest baserunner ever.

He hit a mid level of dingers, I'm afraid

Before the rise of advanced stats in the early 00s, batting average was considered one of they key stats, now it's kind of like, eh. So these stats reflect what would be an All Star (but not HoF, imo) career based on early 90s conception of baseball. If they put BBs on there I could do a full breakdown but without knowing his OBP I can't calcuate wRC+ or even WAR

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 9, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

zoux posted:

Before the rise of advanced stats in the early 00s, batting average was considered one of they key stats, now it's kind of like, eh. So these stats reflect what would be an All Star (but not HoF, imo) career based on early 90s conception of baseball.

there is no way that guy is only 180 lbs

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well I think Picard has so far managed not to poo poo the bed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Well I think Picard has so far managed not to poo poo the bed.

Given his age that seems unlikely.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

zoux posted:

Before the rise of advanced stats in the early 00s, batting average was considered one of they key stats, now it's kind of like, eh. So these stats reflect what would be an All Star (but not HoF, imo) career based on early 90s conception of baseball. If they put BBs on there I could do a full breakdown but without knowing his OBP I can't calcuate wRC+ or even WAR

Maybe sabermetrics turned out to be a early 21st century fad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

there is no way that guy is only 180 lbs

It's Greg Jein so You Be the Judge

Feldegast42 posted:

Maybe sabermetrics turned out to be a early 21st century fad

No!!!!